PDA

View Full Version : Why are my backups so HUGE?!?

Snatch
02-25-2002, 02:36 AM
Okay, I know some of your responces are going to be, "Search the forums the answer is in there!" Although, I have been searching like mad and I can't find it.

Never the less, I have a Sony SAT-T60 (T60) and I can't get the a backup of the virgin "A" drive smaller than 1200MB. This is without the logs, and with a max stream size of 1MB.

I have tried:

mfstool backup -6so %outfile% /dev/%A-Drive% => 1350MB
mfstool backup -9svo %outfile% /dev/%A-Drive% => 1200MB
mfstool bakcup -9svl 1 -o %outfile% /dev/%A-Drive% => 1200MB

I have found that people are getting ~120MB backups of virgin drives on abs.net. I suppose if I have to I can just pray that I don't need it and use those, but I want to do it right and have an exact backup of what I bought on a SINGLE CDR.

So I guess my question comes down to: How are you guys getting backups at ~120MB with using "mfstool compression"? Per what I read on the backups on abs.net, that is what people are using, but I can't get mine that small.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx all!
Snatch

Snatch
02-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Sorry for wasting everyones time...

Here's the deal... the mfstool was reportling the uncompressed image size... I didn't realize that what was actually copied was smaller.

Thanks to Hinsdale for spelling it out so well for those of us so slow.

BTW... Thanks to everyone else who contributes to these forums as the wealth of information contained within is invaluable!

Cheers all!!
Snatch