PDA

View Full Version : Reptron / K-Byte memory

keith721
03-04-2002, 09:18 PM
For the computer hackers reading...

Users on other message boards have wondered about reliability or customer service levels when purchasing computer memory that isn't an everyday or well-known name brand.

I purchased a DIMM of 512-megabyte PC133 SDRAM in December at Office Max (for $59!!!) that was branded as "K-Byte" and claimed a "lifetime warranty". The name on the circuit board itself was "SpecTek". Both of these brands are owned, manufactured, and distributed by a company named "Reptron".

After two and a half months of flawless performance, the K-Byte memory failed this past weekend. I left a voice mail message at K-Byte's 1-800 toll-free number and an e-mail message to an address on their web-site. Expecting a response (if any) in about two or three days, I was pleasantly surprised when someone called me at 10:30 a.m. on Monday morning; less than twenty-four hours after I had called! In less than ten minutes, they had issued a Return Authorization number for the memory. I honestly expected a barrage of questions and back-and-forth disagreements over the return. Nope.

My experience, for what it's worth: Don't worry too much before deciding to purchase K-Byte / SpecTek / Reptron memory modules from someone. Reptron appears to be a large-scale manufacturer and supplier to factory OEMs and smaller shops. In my opinion, their support is exactly as promised, and even better, since they called me back so promptly.

I'm not affiliated with this company in any way; I'm just a happy :) customer. Your mileage may vary. ;)

FISHINLADY
03-05-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks for letting everyone know!!