PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help

idontknow
03-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Unfortunetly I need to fall into the stereo type of this forum of "someone who doesn't know anything". I posted yesterday that I'm really new at this Tivo hacking thing and MRBLACK reccomended doing some searching to gain some knowledge.
Well I have done lots of searching and found out tons on info about upgrading the drives for additional storage etc. But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I don't want to B.S. anyone here...I'm trying to set up my Tivo for use without subscribing. I have searched many time useing keywords such as....tivo hack, free tivo, etc. Many past threads show up when I do this but I still feel very confused. I have also checked out other Tivo related sites and they won't have anything to do with the question I'm asking. WHAT DO I DO??

I don't want anyone to sit here and type out a detailed description of what I have to do to get free Tivo sub. but just point me in some direction. I have no problem with sitting down and reading an hours worth of material, I just need to someone to show me where the reading material is.

Thanks
IDK

BubbleLamp
03-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Are you saying you already read the How-To's in the DTivo section of this board and still are lost? If so, then this might not be the sport for you. Not trying to knock you dude, but you aren't going to find any babysitters here. All that you wish to know is here for the taking, including help when you get stuck, but you need to make an effort.

mrblack51
03-11-2002, 07:17 PM
first off: do you have a standalone unit or a direcTiVo? selecting which forum to seach will help narrow the search.

groundhog
03-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Seeing that your post is in a Direct TV forum. I'm assuming you are attempting to hack a Direct TV Tivo. Here are some key words for you're search.

Extreme & Touch (most of the info you need will be in the DirectTV Tivo Hacking Forum)

If you have a Phillips DSR 6000(or a hughs), it shouldn't be a problem to find what you need. If you have a Sony unit, it may be a little more difficult, and you will need to search more items.

Also, in case you don't know, avoiding the Tivo sub doesn't do anything for you unless you are using a hacked Direct TV card(or EMU). We don't discuss how to hack direct TV here. The only reason some of us hacked our Tivos to avoid the sub, is so that we can use them without a phone line. Most of us still subscribe to Tivo. The purpose of these types of hacks is to use hacked cards on a tivo without having to plug in the phone line. Since the Direct TV tivo stops working after having the phone unplugged for a length of time, some people here developed a way around it. I don't think the intension was to avoid Tivo fees.

idontknow
03-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Bubblelamp...the "how to's" section you speak of, where is that?? And by the way, like I said, I don't want to be told how to do this, I want to learn. If you needed to work on your car I dont think you would just pop the hood and start working on it. You would read a little bit and maybe ask the advice of a mechanic on what to look at or maybe a book that gives good examples. Here at this site you are the pros(the mechanics/experts) I wanna pop the hood on my Tivo and start working but just need some direction.

And BUBBLELAMP, just so you know I am searching like crazy on this site, I saw a thread you posted in November about card swaps coming for H cards. I think you still have a while before you need to worry.

MRBLACK....hello again. The unit I have is a standalone. Tivo only. Its a very basic one that I got like 2 years ago and has 14 hours of hard drive space.

I picked this forum because it said "Newbie". Is this forum just for Direct Tv/Tivo units that are all in one??

GROUNDHOG....I am using a hacked DTV card and this why I would like to avoid hooking up to a phone line. I have read some rumors in past threads here that hooking up the phone line my increase my chance of getting into trouble with the card.

TO ALL....i do appreciate the quick responses and will try more searching .

Thanks,
IDK

BubbleLamp
03-12-2002, 12:06 AM
I don't recall ever creating a thread about the H card swap. Anyway, since you have a stand alone Tivo, you can't eliminate the call in if you want to have a guide data. The best you can do is use it as a recording device.

Try looking at the thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5827).

There is also data for that mod over on AVS forum (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/).

Sorry for the confusion.

idontknow
03-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Oooops...sorry, I actually ment the GROUNDHOG. I will check out the links that you left though. So with the telephone line not hooked up I cannot Pause live tv, only record...is that right??

Thanks Again
IDK

BubbleLamp
03-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Everything the Tivo records goes through the 30 min. buffer, so you can always pause whatever it is recording. The issue with a Stand Alone is you will have no Tivo station guide to tell you what is on when. Thus, you will need to use a TV Guide or your DSS channel guide to know when to record your shows.

groundhog
03-12-2002, 04:00 PM
For what it's worth, the most functional way to use a Stand Alone is to Sub to Tivo, and tell them that you want to "Opt out" of their program where they Monitor your viewing habbits. Some people may say that this is unsafe, but several people(including myself) have been doing it for years, with no problems. Tivo could be sued if they shared your viewing habbits with direct TV. Until Direct Tv buys out Tivo, I would think that it is a pretty safe thing to do. Besides this, your best bet would be to look into a DSR6000 and the extreme hack. It's by far the best option. Also, with the Direct Tivo's you get way more recording space. A stand Alone with a 40 gig drive would get around 9 or 10 hours recording time at best quality, A direct Tv unit gets close to 35 hours of similar quality. All recordings on the direct Tv units are equal to "Best' on a stand alone.

groundhog
03-12-2002, 04:03 PM
I picked this forum because it said "Newbie". Is this forum just for Direct Tv/Tivo units that are all in one??

My Bad :o. I guess that this forum is for both SA & Direct TV units. I guess that I always interpreted the title of the forum incorrectly.

idontknow
03-13-2002, 01:00 PM
Whats up guys. I was able to find info on the Extreme hack with DSR6000 unit. With that set up it seems pretty easy to do what I want to do. I just need to figure out if I want to spend some cash and get a newer reciever.

Anyway...I'm actually still a little unclear about one thing with the Tivo I have now. If I don't get a sub the only thing that I won't get is a channel guide?? I will be able to pause live TV. The pausing live TV option is what I really want the Tivo for. Is this right??

And I know I'm being a pain in the ass hear but one more question...can I receive a High Defintion signal through a Tivo. For example if I have a HD Direct TV reciever and a HD ready TV with my regular Tivo. This question might be a little off base but I just figured I'd ask.

Thanks Again Everyone,
IDK

BubbleLamp
03-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Yes, you'll be able to pause live TV.

No, Tivo's can't record HD. In fact, it'd be a waste to try with a stand alone, since it compresses the stream anyway, making for poor quality and it loses the 2-channel Dolby separation. (Doesn't even support 5.1 Dolby Digital either.)

I agree with Groundhog. IMHO you'd be better off getting a DTivo; better image and audio quality, 2 tuners, channel guide via the satellite.

There isn't a lot of HD content on the sats these days, though you can get some local stuff using an antenna. Eventually HD-ready PVRs will show up, but I'm not holding my breath.

groundhog
03-13-2002, 04:58 PM
The pausing live TV option is what I really want the Tivo for. Is this right??

If all you want to do is pause live TV you don't need to sub. Even a Direct TV unit will allow you to pause Live TV without a Sub to Tivo.

With the stand alone, you can set up manual recordings. You will get a lot of nag screens, but it is pretty functional without a sub.
If you don't care about recordings listed like:
Friends
Howard Stern
Letterman
Survivor
....etc.

And can live with your recordings showing something like this instead(and not having guide data)

Manual Recording
Manual Recording
Manual Recording
Manual Recording
..etc.

Then your o.k. with no sub, and no hack. You also won't be able to do anything related to season passes etc., you will simply have to set up the Time, Date & channel, similar to a VCR. It's still better than a VCR.

idontknow
03-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Alright...with all this new info I started to mess around a little. I tried hooking the Tivo unit to my cable box, NOT satellite. I wanted to play with the pause options and maybe try to record something but I ran into trouble.

The installation seemed easy, output of cable box to Tivo cable input, Tivo cable output to TV cable input. OK, did that. Plug in Tivo power and Guide Set up comes on and wants to call Tivo for info. How the do I by pass that?

Like I said in my previous post...I really only want the Tivo for pausing and rewinding live TV and maybe sometimes recording.

Thanks,
IDK

burgdob
03-13-2002, 11:27 PM
Groundhog, you posts have been very informative. I've been reading in here for several days and have been getting conflicting information. If you could help me clarify some thing I would appreciate it very much.

I don't have a Sat subscription, but am watching it. I just got a Phillips HDR112 and hooked it up so I'm in my "grace" period. I read in some post that within 30 days my Tivo will become "usless". Your post leads me to beleive I can still use it for pausing and manual recordings. Will I simply have to acknolage "nag" messages?

I am considering subbing to Tivo, but am concerned about the info loading to Tivo. I read the Tivo privacy policy and it states what you said ". . .very hard to design our system to ensure that no Personally Identifiable Viewing Information may be sent to TiVo without your express consent." Are you subbing to Tivo and not to Sat?

Last question, I have an 80gig hard drive on the way to put in my Tivo, Can I still subscribe without any problems?

I appreciate you patience and help. Thank you very much.

idontknow
03-13-2002, 11:34 PM
I also read the same thread....if the unit is not hooked up in 30 days it deacivates itself. I don't know if those were the exact words used but something to that extent. Is this true? Maybe this is the problem I'm experiencing now....hmmmm

groundhog
03-14-2002, 06:49 PM
I don't have a Sat subscription, but am watching it. I just got a Phillips HDR112 and hooked it up so I'm in my "grace" period.

Well, seeing that you are in your grace period, you are very lucky. What you can do is trick your tivo & not worry about the nag screens. You can even do some season pass related things, like record a show for 10 minutes longer & set priorities for you manual recordings.

See this thread, for how to avoid the nag screens via remote control backdoors:

CLICK HERE (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10220)

idontknow....if you are in the grace period, you can do the same. I don't know the details of making the Tivo work without ever making a single phone call. The best bet is to have it make a setup call and then unplug it & play. I don't think that you need to subscribe to make a setup call. Only to receive guide data. But....if you unsubscribed or are past your grace period, your unit may be alerted to the fact that you aren't a subscriber, and may shut it self down.

When I say "Shut itself down" what I mean is that it goes into something called "Boat Anchor Mode". It limits it's own functionality to exclude season pass abilities, etc. You can't go to many of it's menu's because it will give you a nag screen saying "You are not currently subscribed.....etc." The reason that the grace period is a plus is because you can get to all menus. If you are in "Boat anchor mode" you can't get to "Search by Title", which is how you activate the backdoors. You can also subscribe for a month, then unplug your phone and cancel a month later, if you like. The point is that subscribing isn't the problem, plugging the phone line in and transimitting what your up to if you've done questionable stuff is the problem.

Yes, In the resent past I was subscribed to Tivo with it set up to Direct TV USA, and I wasn't a Direct TV subscriber & used it fully hacked. I am currently a Direct TV subscriber with the box hooked up to a Subscribed Tivo, but sometimes unplug the phone line from the DTV box, put in a Hacked card, watch & record some free stuff, then Reset the DTV box and put in the legit card again & plug in the phone. The tivo phone line is always plugged in. Tivo's policy changed slightly recently and to be honest I've felt 100% safe, but take my chances. Before all of the Direct TV tivo hacks this was the way to go. 1000's of people used hacked direct Tv receivers this way with their SA tivos (after opting out), and so far I haven't ever seen a post by someone claiming that Tivo turned them in to Direct Tv. As a matter of fact, I think that when you "Opt out" it is supposed to set a flag in the Tivo telling it not to upload data even to Tivo....but I'm not sure?

idontknow
03-14-2002, 08:31 PM
That link was awesome. :eek: :) Deffinetly the info I needed. I got my Tivo making the initial call now and will be unplugging it from the wall. I printed out the thread and will read it thoroughly. I have already noticed the section about "debug mode" and "Tivo clock" setting info.

Do you think I should set the date 1-2 years ahead or a real high number like 10??

Seriously man...this was exactly the info I needed, thanks a lot.

IDK

groundhog
03-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Do you think I should set the date 1-2 years ahead or a real high number like 10??

The link that I posted pointed to a thread here. In that thread there is also a link that points to a thread posted by Otto over at the AVS forum. I'm not sure which link that you are referring to? If you re-read the link to my thread you'll notice that I suggest using the Year 2000 (or sooner). Going back further that that will cause you problems. There is a specific date set in the rcsysinit file that will cause your tivo to reboot and go back to that date, if you go to far back. In my tivo it was 11/1998. Hopefully yours is 2000 or older. Maybe 2000 might even be to far to go back. I assume it is the date that the software was created for the specific unit. Anyway I originally used something like 1973 because it liked up with the leap year for 2001, but after about a day or two the tivo would reboot and the clock would show that it was Nov. 1998. I finally discovered that I had to use 2000 and deal with the days being off. Obviously if you use something like 2001, you would just need to make note on a calendar somewhere and do the same thing a year from now, setting it back to 2001 again in 2003.

idontknow
03-14-2002, 10:34 PM
I have another question.....after enabling back door and debug I went to the "search by name" typed the E-E-Tivo and the "clock" prompt was supposed to show....it didn't. It said "time". Is this correct?? I set the time year: 2000 month: 03 date: 06 time: 022900 (mind you that it was roughly 9:26pm real time when I was setting everything) After setting time I hit E-E-Tivo again and it chimed. The "chime" sounded like a confermation.

Now, in the link to the other thread it said to go to "system information" to check if I had made the change corectly to the time. Where do I look in "system info"? All I see if the time of last call and other info but not what the clock read out is.

Any ideas.....does it sound like have completed everything correctly? Or might there be a mistake somewhere??

IF SO what would you reccomend me to set the clock at? Lets say I try all this again tommorow afternoon 1pm 03/15/2002. What date and time from there?

Thanks Again
IDK

burgdob
03-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info groundhog. Guess I need to decide if I should subscribe. I'd like to but am nervous about the hacking, especially since Dave seems to be getting pretty agressive.

BubbleLamp
03-14-2002, 10:54 PM
If you're subbing a stand alone Tivo and you tell them you want to opt-out, I wouldn't worry. Been doing that for years with a Sony B3 and "test card".

I would not recommend subbing a DTivo if you are testing, unless you feel like wiping logs and swapping the cards each time you let it dial in.

burgdob
03-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. HU or emu?

Do you pay monthy or did you get the lifetime?

One other question if you don't mind. If I put in a "Blesstivo'ed" second hard drive, can I still subscribe w/o them knowing. Or do they care.

Thanks

burgdob
03-14-2002, 11:13 PM
BTW...I have a stand alone

BubbleLamp
03-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by burgdob
Thanks for the reassurance. HU or emu?

EMU

Do you pay monthy or did you get the lifetime?

Monthly. I think lifetime tied to the box is dumb (especially with how shitty they are built!). I love Tivo, but I can't count on them being around. If it was lifetime for the subscriber, I might have gone for it. With the price increase coming, I may drop my SA sub altogether.

One other question if you don't mind. If I put in a "Blesstivo'ed" second hard drive, can I still subscribe w/o them knowing. Or do they care.

They never bothered anyone for having added a drive.

Thanks

groundhog
03-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Now, in the link to the other thread it said to go to "system information" to check if I had made the change corectly to the time. Where do I look in "system info"? All I see if the time of last call and other info but not what the clock read out is.

I don't know if I can answer your question. Did you scroll down using the channel down button? I've never had a problem finding the date and time on my HDR312 running 2.0 or 2.5. As far as clock vs. Time, I'm sure it's the same thing. Actually, now that I think about it, I think it says "Set Time:".

I would have to check my tivo at home to help you more, and I can't I'll be gone for a few days. Sorry. You should have all the info you need to figure it out now. Good luck.

idontknow
03-15-2002, 04:29 PM
I noticed that my software version is 1.2.1 or something like that, but not 2.0 or 2.5. I wonder if this could have something to do with it.

Is there anywhere else that will display current date and such...I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I know you are away and not by the Tivo so I will check back in a day or two.

Thank you again Mr. Groundhog
IDK

groundhog
03-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Most SA's come with either 1.3 or 2.0. 1.2.1 is really old software. You won't be able to do any of the season pass type things like prioritize Manual recordings or record for a minute longer, unless you upgrade to 2.5. But...if you leave it at 1.2.1 and don't plug in a phone, you will probably get less nag screens, if you hit the 30 day plus mark. You may want to research the functionality of an unsubed 1.2.1 machine. Maybe it doesn't even ever become a "Boat Anchor"? Otherwise, you may want to sub for a month let it phone in nightly until it gets the upgrade(could take up to 7 or 10 days), then unplug the phone line and use the test card, and backdoor hack it later....if you want to enjoy the extra abilities of 2.5.

idontknow
03-15-2002, 08:27 PM
I think I might search some threads and maybe some other sites as well to see if 1.2.1 will go into "boat anchor" If it doesn't I might just leave everything the way it is now. If not then maybe upgrade like you were saying.

Time to begin my searches......again :D

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,
IDK

idontknow
03-15-2002, 08:35 PM
Alright today is the March 16 @ 1:39 pm. I was able to dowload new software from Tivo...I got Ver. 2.5. I enabled "backdoors" and "debug". I modified the clock to read exactly 2 years prior to todays date. I set it to Mar. 16, 2000 and set time to 1:42pm. I tacked on an extra 2 minutes because I remember in one of the threads saying something about that. With the ver. 2.5 I can get a good clock read out in "system information"

How does all this sound?? OK??

Let me know if you can.

Thanks,
IDK

groundhog
03-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you're set. As long as you leave the phone unplugged, the time shouldn't revert back. I don't know if I stated this before, but you may need to re-set the clock every month or so, because it will slowly lose the correct time. I was the one who posted to set it a couple minutes fast and set recordings to record a couple minutes longer to allow for this(the clock losing time).

One other thing. If you had items in your To-do list, you may notice that you can't delete some of them. I guess I should have warned you about this. :o It's some sort of bug with setting the clock this way. Certian things that were in Now playing get transfered to To-do because the tivo thinks that they haven't been recorded yet....or something like that. One other bug is that if you try to hit "Record for 2 minutes longer" with a live TV show that is recording, it may reset the tivo. These are the only bugs that I encounted. The x-minute longer one may cause you to have to reset the clock again? It won't put you in boat anchor mode or anything. If it happens, just try to confirm what you did and avoid doing it in the future. I'm pretty sure that it had to do with hitting record while watching live tv, and then choosing to record 1, 2,10, or 30 minutes longer.... If this is something you want to do, your better off setting up another manual recording to start as soon as the live TV recording ends.

idontknow
03-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Well...so far so good. I haven't had any problems(knock on wood) and am enjoying the Tivo lots. Someone told me that once you start using the Tivo that you will wonder how you ever watched TV without it, and I already feel that way.

I really appreciate the help Grounhog. Without your direction I wouldn't be where I'm at now....THANKS!!

Hopefully I will be able to contribute some useful information to this site one day and help someone out.

Thanks Again,
IDK

groundhog
03-20-2002, 03:48 PM
No Problem :)