PDA

View Full Version : DirecTivo Bites the Dust

Blue Duck
03-15-2002, 08:15 PM
I feel something terrible has happened...

I have a SAT-T60 which is hacked all to hell which had been running beautifully since 2.5 was hacked some months ago. Today I come home turn on the stereo and TV/Tivo and all I get is a blue screen on my TV (no input). I think hmm thats weird it worked last night, so first I tried plugging the Tivo in several different outlets and still nothing, listening I could tell the drive isn't spinning up.

Next, I took it apart and verified the drive wasn't spinning up. I then tested the voltage on the drive cables, yeah +5 and +12 are good. The internal fan runs fine so scottie we have power. I unhooked the drive and mounted it using the tivo tools boot CD and the drive works fine I can see my linux partition on the drive. Putting it back in my Tivo I DON'T hook up the IDE cable, and DO hook up the power, power on the Tivo and the drive spins up. It appears the Tivo isn't booting (this isn't good news), and somehow having the IDE cable connected keeps the drive from spinning up.

I'm not sure what else to try now, I'm afraid my totally waranty voided T60 has went to greener pastures. I so don't want to buy another if I can figure out how to make this beast work, so I'm calling on this great community for some suggestions on what to try.

Hopefully I wont get the shakes too bad from watching gasp cable TV in the meantime (whats worse is I have to drive like 60 miles to buy a new T60, if it comes to that).

Thanks in advance :D

Blue Duck
03-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Well a quick trip through the forums lead me to try a couple things, and walla one of them worked. The bastard power supply ribbon cable was the culprit, as someone said in another thread, I treated it like a virgin and she thanked me later. Ahh the bliss, the bliss. Question being: why did the little smarmy cable decide I needed to reseat it in the first place? Question Two: Does this happen on non hacked Tivo's out of the blue, if so seems like this must suck for Tivo to get units back just for that.

Again, many thanks are owed to this great forum.

Blue Duck

T_RJ
03-17-2002, 05:02 PM
It would happen to my philips even before I enhanced it's performance. :D

Shitty design.

But I stil love my TiVo. :D

Cranky
03-22-2002, 12:15 AM
This happens because of the heat and vibration from the drive. When it heats up it expands and cools down it contracts. Use a Hot Glue gun on all cables.