PDA

View Full Version : guide data, guide data, guide data

sir_lunatic
06-21-2001, 01:26 PM
This needs to be nipped in the bud.

At first glance of the log files, it appears that it gets the files via httpd by posting the headend identifier. It then retrives a gzipped file. What we need to do is get a copy of that file to discern the format of the data.

Tivo uses Tribune for their guide data. Tribune distributes this data for all headends in what they call their BigBuild. Its then up to Tivo to break up the data per headend lineup based on the channel lineup.

Now for the good news. I have access to the BigBuild.

Anyone want to give it a whirl?

illie
06-21-2001, 04:28 PM
Eek. Roughly how big is one of these? Have you looked at it to see what sort of format it is in? The tivo doesn't have much in terms of procesing power, or in available utilities to parse the file effectively, i bet...

Which means that people will need to either parse it themselves, or somebody has to be brave enough to host a couple different parsed listings for people...

I'd be interested in seeing a copy of the BigBuild.. But the other needed part is a copy of the file from tivo to see what they're converting it into... Is the gzipped file laying around while it's being processed, so you can copy it out of the way, or is the full URL in the log so you can retreive it multiple times?

sir_lunatic
06-21-2001, 11:50 PM
The "BigBuild" is 20Meg+.

I really am not suggesting to use this data. But we can certainly use it to test.

Once we figure out the format the Tivo needs it in, it would be an easy task to write a script to "rip" the data from one of the many online guide web sites. Hence anyone would easily have access to data. Some already exist.

Haven't spent much time researching the data downloads yet. Just getting started. Got bored with hacking DTV and figured I would move on to the TIVO. The guide seems to be the big sticking point with everyone as well as "Taboo" everywhere.

I am spending the $10/mth now for one unit. But cant justify it for multiple units. I think $10/mth is robbery for the data. Especially for Tribune data that is known to be inaccurate. This is widely known in an industry that GEMSTAR (The Microsoft of Guide Data) owns.

I also think we can simplify the task by using some of the other scripts as a starting point(jPag for one). The aussies have already figured this out but aren't talking. Seems kind of hypocritical that its ok for them to hack the guide data and use it but nobody else can. Let them stay down under.

In my opinion, I'll bet if we figure this out and release it, that TIVO sales will go through the roof. A commercial product, with GPL'ed software all from a company that quietly endorses us hacking their product (except the data that they dont own, thats why they dont want us touching it). What hacker wouldnt want one.

I would also gladly pay more for the unit rather than have to be stuck with a monthly recurring charge. And I am sure more feel the same.

So lets get this boulder rolling down hill...........

Lets make it a group effort............

"illie" already posted the first task. We need copies of the gzipped data the units download. The logs dont show where it stores these files once retrieved. But I am sure with enough people looking we will find it. Forget about trying to retreive it manually from Tivo site. You wont get it. We need to find it on the unit itself.

pasha
06-22-2001, 12:08 AM
it stores data somewhere in /var
since / is mounted read only means one one place to store this /var
as getting things manualy
yeap manualy it's imposible but with some kind of perl script
should be very easy
since before it can get anything it MUST post your serial & other info...
then it gets couple gz
but bad part that they are encrypted and tivo decrypt them with key ring stored in /var/private

illie
06-22-2001, 01:20 AM
Does it ever leave the decrypted version laying around while processing? Maybe find a copy of 'strace' compiled for the tivo to watch what files it uses..

We don't really care about the encryption... Because we want to use our own data instead of theirs...

And yeah we have jpag's script which shows us how to add entries in there, give them descriptions, etc.

So what is missing is mainly the part that tells the tivo that it is subscribed, that way it doesn't nag... And we can write a perl script or something to parse a web based tv listing, and then use jpag's script to add all the entries in to the guide..

It would be nice to see the official way tivo does it to look for something that isn't so much of a hack.. but in the meantime, it'll do..

pasha
06-22-2001, 11:41 AM
illie,
I have this part I can tell you tivo that it's subbed and no longer need to call papppa... :)

illie
06-22-2001, 02:37 PM
Spit it out! What's required to do this?

I take it that the tivo would wipe this setting out every time if it connects to the real tivo server for channel listings tho...

pasha
06-22-2001, 04:04 PM
well all what you have to do is
load right serviceState to /Setup
and expiration date for state...
but one of the states is service stolen :)
so I think if you gonna call them with wrong state it will probably set to stolen ...
so we realy have to get our guide...
and in reality I see some legal issues with using they guide w/o paing for it.... however getting our guide and loading it in can't couse legal issues since you no longer using they service.

stryder
06-22-2001, 05:06 PM
I have been examining the guide data you can view on zap2it.com . It seems that it shouldn't be hard to parse this into the format that the DTV PPV guide data is delivered in that Jpags generates.

I am interested in the BigBuild data. Is there any way I can get a copy of it?

If you can set the subscribed/unsubscribed state of the Tivo then it wouldn't matter if it didn't call in anymore. As long as the guide data was updated and the time was set the Tivo would operate correctly right?

pasha
06-22-2001, 05:26 PM
no
there 10 states from 0 to 9
and seems like most important state expiration!
and you have to update it once in a while...
seems like setting this variable to something very big cousing problems with myworld.

stryder
06-22-2001, 05:30 PM
so we could just set the state correctly when we "call" in to get the guide information. But the call in wouldn't go to its normal place it would go to wherever it is told to get data from. That way Tivo can't detect tampering.

Do you know what the 10 different states mean exactly? Would be interesting to know.

pasha
06-22-2001, 05:37 PM
# ServiceState definitions
# Start version 1
# NOTE: This list MUST match the one in schema/ServiceState.enum
variable SVC_STATE_NULL 0
variable SVC_STATE_EXISTS 1
variable SVC_STATE_PREACTIVATED 2
variable SVC_STATE_GOOD 3
variable SVC_STATE_TEST 4
variable SVC_STATE_LIFETIME 5
variable SVC_STATE_LATE 6
variable SVC_STATE_DEACTIVATED 7
variable SVC_STATE_RETIRED 8
variable SVC_STATE_STOLEN 9

stryder
06-23-2001, 12:14 AM
Do you think a guide data machine (separate machine) will be necessary or will the Tivo itself be able to parse the data from a tv guide website?

pasha
06-23-2001, 12:54 PM
1st of all :)
tivo defently can't do this...
I had problem with long list of PPV from JPags...
tivo reboots by itself becouse it's running out of memory
so I solder more ram...
and still lot of problem...
I think most importatnt to produce same format as currently tivo process. create our own server which will distribute it...
and don't forget other part... we need listing for everything not only dtv....

replacing IP address of server and dialout procedure should not be a problem...

dpg
06-23-2001, 04:08 PM
Incoming files are stored in /var/packages
as they are being downloaded.

Simplest way to back it up while it is still
ariving is go to another directory and create
a hard link to it:

ln /var/packages/xyz.slice.gz \ /var/hack/packages/xyz.slice.gz

When the original file is deleted, the hard link
will remain.

stryder
06-23-2001, 04:42 PM
Has anyone captured the guide listing that Tivo downloads yet? I don't have my TivoNet card yet, and I haven't hooked up to the serial port yet. :) I guess that will be my first order of business.

How many different guide listings would have to be generated? One for each city and tv provider? That would be a lot of different guide listings.

Vadim
06-23-2001, 04:56 PM
Actually we can get Directv and dishnetwork easily since guide is the same for all cities. Public and cable would be more time consuming.

stryder
06-23-2001, 06:02 PM
I have to use cable now so I can get my cable modem service.
I used to use DirecTV but it isn't worth it to pay for it and cable at the same time. Where can you download the DTV guide from?

The bandwidth requirements for a server that handles all this traffic would be high at certain times of the day.
Would running a guide data server be asking for a lawsuit?

sir_lunatic
06-23-2001, 07:56 PM
Setting up a guide server will certainly ask for legal problems. Specifically from Gemstar. These guys sue anyone that attemp anything to do with guide data, including Tribune. Gemstar owns just about every conceivable patent concerning guides.

Our best would be to write a Perl script to strip the data from some of the other online guide sites. This way even those without a *nix machine can run Active Perl on a MS box and generate their own data. I am sure someone has already done this part for other reasons.

If someone has a place I can put the BigBuild, I will be glad to do so. Wont be able to do so til early next week.

Also remember that all guide data has predetermined errors with it. This way the original owners can determine if they were ripped off or not.

stryder
06-23-2001, 08:54 PM
What is the best online website to strip the data from? zap2it.com appears to get its data from Tribune, tvguide.com seems to get it from there as well.. at least the format which the two sites display it is almost identical.

Are there any other free guide websites that could be used?

The good thing is if all of the sites use the same format the same script should work on them with some minor tweaks.

stryder
06-23-2001, 09:37 PM
If the Tivo chokes on just adding the Jpags PPV guide how do we figure out the best method of adding the entire guide data?

Is his method not the 'correct' method, or just not the tivo method?

sir_lunatic
06-23-2001, 09:47 PM
Zap2it is Tribune.

TVGuide is Gemstar.

The data is given to both by the networks. So they both get the same data. Thats why they appear the same. This is the same for DTV.

Now the DTV Tivo gets the data from the DTV sat stream. So the method it imports the data you can be sure is different from the SA Tivo's. So the jPag scripts may or may not work for the SA Tivo's but is probably a good start.

Vadim
06-23-2001, 09:49 PM
directivos get the quide from the stream and they get PPV from it too.

stryder
06-23-2001, 10:16 PM
so are the ppv scripts from jpags designed to let the stand alone tivo's have dtv ppv guide data then? What are they for?

Vadim
06-23-2001, 10:42 PM
Because stanld alone doesn't have any data for PPV so you can't even see what movie is on or what is it about.

Originally posted by stryder
so are the ppv scripts from jpags designed to let the stand alone tivo's have dtv ppv guide data then? What are they for?

stryder
06-23-2001, 10:54 PM
Can someone snag the daily call data tonight? and post it up somewhere? I didn't get to Rat Shack in time to buy a null modem adaptor.

sir_lunatic
06-23-2001, 11:15 PM
Bingo!!

Why reinvent the wheel.

http://www.cherrynebula.net/projects/tvguide/tvguide.php

It will need to be modified but it is a great script for snagging the data. We just need to modify it to output a file in the form we need. Once we figure out that form of course. Nothing like working backwards.

stryder
06-23-2001, 11:27 PM
Awesome. I was reading through some perl tutorials. Guess I don't need to anymore.

Well maybe a script will be needed to do the conversion afterwards.

pasha
06-25-2001, 11:35 AM
well seems like we still need guide server!
but why it's should be in US?
move it to offshore contry or canada and you fine...
in fact it nicely could resign on any web hosting company and couple processing servers can upload data daily... so this is should'n be an issue...
and in fact there is a posibility to get data off tivo subbed tivo..... and as drecttv right of directtivo

sir_lunatic
06-25-2001, 05:46 PM
eel-susshi,

This is not true. The app I posted a link too above would allow anyone, whether they have a *nix box or a windows box, to "cook" their own data. This Perl script rips data for a particular cable headend from TVGuide's website.

However, it will need to be modified. It has hooks in it to get the specifics about the programs, ie. the ratings, content, description, etc....

We can easily modify this script to output the data in the form the Tivo expects when it phones home.

Again, we need to figure out the format before this can be done. I am sure that jPags scripts will provide clues when comparing this to the gzip it downloads from daddy.

Once this is done and one cooks his own data, we then tell the tivo to get the data from our own machine we cooked the data on.

I am currently away from home and lacking in sleep, if that doesn't explain it for you let me know. I will see if I can do better.

FOR ALL:

We need to get the format of the gzipped file it downloads for guide data. Has anyone succeeded in getting this part yet? Without this we are stuck, and me away from home without a tivo sucks!!!

stryder
06-25-2001, 05:59 PM
I will rip a copy out of my tivo tonight, after I get my bash shell working on the serial port.

I am extremely interested in seeing this done.

sir_lunatic
06-25-2001, 06:26 PM
Wow,
There are over 500 views on this thread. The next highest viewed thread only has a little over 230.

I guess we know what tivo hackers want most.

:D

stryder
06-25-2001, 06:40 PM
Too bad noone will voice some ideas. Anyone have the daily call file already and wish to share?

pasha
06-25-2001, 08:34 PM
but this means you need windows or unix box...
when you what to automate it you need just guide server...

stryder
06-25-2001, 08:39 PM
I found a copy of the Australian Slice files that Tivo uses. I am comparing them now with an Australian tv guide online. Hopefully I can figure out the format. Its in binary of course.

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 12:20 AM
Well I have good news and bad news:

The good news first:

I hope you are all familiar with jPag's scripts?

If you are not, goto http://www.geocities.com/paglierani/
and download everything.

After you download everything, read, read and read and when your eyes are bleeding, go back and read again and again.

Everything we need appears to be there. There are obviously scripts to add some data, but the best part is he has scripts there to look at the database in the MFS partition. Hell, he even has a javascript there that shows how he scarfs the data from DTV's website.

Now I know what you are all saying, "jPags is for DirectTivo". How do you know, did you try? Or did you read that on a forum that has banned any discussion on this and other hacks we are all interested in?

From what I can tell these should also do what we want. The only thing I (read we) need to figure out is the nomenclature for the "genre" in the addPrograms proc. ( You'll know what I mean after you read his scripts.)

Now the bad news:

I am 6000 miles from home, I have to go back to work now and I have no Tivo here.

Come on guys (gals). We need others to add some input here. Not just lurkers. Contribute something. Anything.

Til my next break................

Vadim
06-26-2001, 12:24 AM
Here is some more good news.
The script is not for DirectTivo it's for SA and my friend runs it on SA. You know why? It was designed for SA because DirectTiVo downloads all PPV guide data!

stryder
06-26-2001, 12:26 AM
I thought it looked interesting. It would be easy enough to generate the data in the format that he uses already..

I will investigate that script further.

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 12:42 AM
Also

I ran the tvguide perl script I spoke about earlier in the thread.

It works rather well. I modified it slightly to output to a file. It will just need a few tweaks to adapt to the jpag scripts. In its native form it only grabs the channel, program title, time and length of program, but it already has the hooks in it to get the other info, rating, description, etc...

I think we found a good combination.

I really am going through withdraw here with no Tivo at hand to try any of this.

I am relying on you guys............

stryder
06-26-2001, 12:46 AM
I ran it earlier as well. Works well enough. I found the function that you modify to change the output, but haven't had a chance to actually do this modification. I have been busy attempting to get pppd running on my tivo so I can run other things at the same time.

stryder
06-26-2001, 01:59 AM
I finally am able to poke around on my Tivo while it is running, however I can't seem to find the file or location where you set the Service State so that it thinks it is fully operational. Anyone care to shed some more light ont he subject?

Dinosaur
06-26-2001, 03:43 AM
Hi Stryder,

here's my first post...

No more nagz :)

set db [dbopen]
trans { set setup [db $db open /Setup]
dbobj $setup set ServiceState 5 }
dbclose $db

You know the ServiceState values.

Bye

BearSouth
06-26-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by stryder
... can't seem to find the file or location where you set the Service State so that it thinks it is fully operational. Anyone care to shed some more light ont he subject?

From your bash prompt, "tivosh immortal.itcl", where immortal.itcl is:

#####
# immortal.itcl
#####
tvsource $tcl_library/tv/Setup.itcl

Setup print
print loadDb
print setVal serviceState 5
print storeDb serviceState
print print
#####

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 02:27 PM
We also need to figure out how to prevent the TIVO from calling daddy, even if you are using TivoNet. We don't want it to phone home at all, ever, nada, good night gracy.

We need it to do the following:

1. It needs to think it is fully subscribed and account in good standing. (I think we have this)

2. It should never phone home. ( I think we can lick this)

3. We should be able to add our own guide data at will. ( jPag's looks promising )

4. We need a means of compiling our own guide data at will. ( I think we have the beginings of this as well)

Looks like we are on our way.

Can anybody add to this hit list concerning guide data?

stryder
06-26-2001, 04:06 PM
I have looked at the scripts. I am working on that perl script now to generate the guide based on your service id. I think I understand JPags scripts enough to do so. I can't seem to get my silly Tivo to dial out onto the net using a serial cable. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I could ping the linux box from it and ping the tivo from the linux box, but I couldn't get anything out in the world to be reachable through the pppd link. Not sure what was wrong there. I've run the sports.js file, and it seems to work, but it doesn't have support for normal shows, and more than one show per channel.

stryder
06-26-2001, 07:21 PM
Can someone else run that TVGuide perl script right now and see if it works for you. My copy has gone haywire, and I redownloaded a new copy of it and it still is goofy. I am not sure what the hell happened to the output of this program. I had almost completed output that was basically identical to the JPags scripts just customized for my channel layout using that Perl script. I can't finish it now because of whatever is wrong. I tried it on three different machines with a fresh out of the gz file and I get garbage in each case.

Saturn
06-26-2001, 07:27 PM
Instead of disabling the call to the mothership and the use jpag's scripts to insert all the data, I think it would be much better to just emulate the mothership - use TiVo's tried and true method of gathering guide data - so it runs all the indexing it needs to, etc... Might be more difficult, but surely prone to fewer problems. Then each TiVo user can setup their own mothership that gathers guide data for only their region - essentially setup your own personal TiVo guide service. This way, there's no possibility of lawsuits, and no single point of failure.

stryder
06-26-2001, 07:39 PM
Well the idea was that each user would generate their own Jpags like scripts and download it and run them. I haven't been able to get my Tivo to phone home to snatch a copy of the file it gets. Ever since I added the pppd control I can't call out anymore. Can you get ahold of the call data?

illie
06-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Yeah I noticed while trying to work on it earlier today that it was having issues.. Earlier I couldn't get any content out of it.. just errors..

Now I get an error message of:
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./tvguide line 1243, <INPUT> line 501.

And then it goes downhill from there with a terrible display.. They probably changed the format of the page.. sigh..

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 10:54 PM
Well, Tvguide must of got wind of what we were doing. If you bring up a browser and goto their site, bring up the guide for your area, or any for that matter, and view the source, you will see right at the top of the source:

<!-- NO TVGUTILS -->

<!-- LISTINGS INCLUDE FILES HERE -->

It is no longer just in html.

Wow, that got out fast. Don't look now, but we are being watched. BOO! What was that?

illie
06-26-2001, 11:22 PM
Well the last update to the TVGuide perl script was only 3 days ago.. So at least the author is maintaining it.. I'm sure there'll be an update soon.. Looks like they just changed the format enough to break the parser...

Were those comments always there? I didn't look at the source previously, so...

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 11:24 PM
They weren't there yesterday, I saved some source from then debugging.

Ain't the Internet fun...........

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 11:29 PM
Stryder,

By the way, your problem of not being able to access anything other than your linux box over the serial ppp connection is due to routing. Anything outside of your linux box doesn't know how to route to the tivo address.

You probably need to run routed on your linux box. This way your linux box will answer to the tivo address and forward the packets coming back to your tivo.

illie
06-26-2001, 11:32 PM
We're probably keeping somebody employed there to make changes to break nifty utils like this one hehe..

But once the parser is fixed, the script will need to be modified to make a loop that gets the listings for say 24 hours, then check each unique program ID to retrieve the rating, cast, description, etc..

Luckily that's all coded already.. Just a case of looping through to do that for each show, and outputting it in a format like jpag's..

sir_lunatic
06-26-2001, 11:40 PM
We could probably modify the script to scarf from say:

http://tv.yahoo.com

Going right to the data provider was a real no no on our part. Should of expected it.

By the way, yahoo uses Tribune. We could go to many different sites to get data.

They can run, but they cant hide..............

There is to many of us and only so many of them...............

stryder
06-26-2001, 11:47 PM
I had my version of the script going through and printing out almost identically to jpags script. The only difference was I hadn't finished the addChannels part, and I hadn't factored in the
Day StartTime and Duration section of the line
^^^^^^^
addShow 0 CBS 11587 0 3000 {News Broadcast}

The part after the channel name.
If you change the interval (in powers of 2 ) part of the script you can tell it to give you 24 hours of data.

I was working on the start duration and day part when the page was changed.
I also sent an email to the author of the script, asking him to see if he could fix it cause I am learningn perl as I go.

stryder
06-28-2001, 02:58 PM
Well the TVGuide website has gone back to normal and so I saved a copy of it to use for test data so I can finish the output. I can now generate everything but the starttime. I have been attempting to figure out how the script decides the start time of the show. If anyone has any idea please let me know.

Does anyone know how the Tivo corresponds the Channel Name with the actual channel number? I know the jpags scripts assume that the channel is already in the database and so can go by the channel name.

zobetron
06-28-2001, 05:37 PM
from one of jpags scripts:

c. The day of the program. This is the number of days since Jan 1st 1970 using UTC (also known as GMT).
d. The start time. This is in seconds from 12:00 AM. If something starts at 2:00 AM it is (2 * 60 * 60),
which is the second of the day it starts. This is also in UTC.
e. The duration. This is in seconds, but is absolute, it is the number of seconds the program lasts.

stryder
06-28-2001, 05:47 PM
No you didn't understand what I wanted.

I can generate the Day that the show starts on. Of course right now it assumes the day that you run the script on. (will be fixed). And I can generate the duration in seconds. I just haven't been able to figure out where the start time is kept in the TVGuide perl script. I have been emailing the author however, and I think he will shed some light on the subject.

illie
06-28-2001, 07:15 PM
I think what you want is this link (at this other bad forum place) (http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum6/HTML/001045.html)

It talks about how to change the channel lineup with the names and numbering using a TCL script..

We could modify the tvguide script to also produce a channel lineup file and import that... (seeing as how it will provide both the channel name and number..)

sir_lunatic
06-28-2001, 11:13 PM
We need a file repository someplace so we can exchange some of our work. We should probably do this offline for the time being til we have something that works.

Any suggestions?

Also, I should be back home before the holiday, so I will be able to spend some real time testing some ideas I have.

Vadim
06-28-2001, 11:18 PM
I can provide password protect space for you guys, let me know and I'll make it available.

stryder
06-28-2001, 11:19 PM
Here's some sample output I have.
Just in case you wanted to see it :)

proc addShows { } {
addShow 0 SHO 11501 starttime 3600 {Rich in Love}
addShow 1 SHO 11501 starttime 3600 {Teen Knight}
addShow 0 KTBC 11501 starttime 1800 {Divorce Court}
addShow 1 KTBC 11501 starttime 1800 {Judge Joe Brown}
addShow 2 KTBC 11501 starttime 3600 {Jerry Springer}

and it goes on of course...

I don't have the addChannels section anymore.. had to turn it off.. something wierd was going on. Going to search for the method of obtaining the starttime now.

What do you have done?

sir_lunatic
06-28-2001, 11:26 PM
Almost had it pulling the show details before they changed the content.

Haven't been able to get back to it. I am stuck on this job putting in 18 hour days.

I am currently sitting on the floor of their data center with my laptop typing this.

They have revamped their network security and we are contracted to audit thier security.

I love my job, I love my job, I love my job...........

Also,
We should start another thread for creating data. This one is getting long and has branched on the topic.

Creating Data for jPag

sir_lunatic
06-28-2001, 11:31 PM
Also an FYI,

Looks like PSINet started pulling the plug, quite a few of their peering points were turned down today, including their Web Server, it was serving blank pages earlier today.

Lets all bow our heads in the loss of a pioneer in the Internet Infrastructure.

stryder
06-30-2001, 12:34 AM
Hey go read my thread on Jpag'alike scripts.
This is in case you only have email notification on this thread. :)

Jethro
08-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Just a little input. I think you guys/gals are going about it the wrong way. Why not pull the guide data from a Dtivo unit. It has all the guide data you need (unless you use cable). jpeg does this now. He got tired of the poor data he was gitting from there web site.

stryder
08-28-2001, 05:10 PM
Pulling the data from a Dtivo is fine if you are using a standalone to record DTV, however I am not and don't plan to in the near future. Recording cable would be far more to my liking, since I have cable so I can have a cable modem.

ircbob
08-30-2001, 06:28 PM
ok, so umm can somebody tell me what has been done? (if anything?)

ive read this thread a bunch.. and well, cant tell what has been done and what hasnt...

anybody care to fill the rest of us in?

jmoberley
01-27-2003, 06:16 PM
I would recommend anyone reading this look at

TiVo Canada (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tivo_canada)

It seems they have an operational system that uses the Zap2it guides.

I haven't touched my TiVo in a while because I can't get it to call out and I wasn't that motivated to get the TurboNet, but I'm building interest once again.

Jon

jmoberley
01-27-2003, 06:49 PM
It looks like TiVo Canada now restrict access to Canadians only, so those of you elsewhere may have to bum info off a member.

Jon

kurjiboo
04-29-2003, 11:06 PM
can anyone share some information about how the canadians get their guide data or point me to someplace I can learn about it w/o a membership in this canadian usergroup?

philhu
04-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Tivo guide grabs data from Zap2it using a program that grabs the items and turns it into XML-type output

It is then parsed by Parsexmlguide (perl version or VB/Win version (written by me)).

This creates a slice to be loaded with about 11 days data.

lmurray
04-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Or, you can goto www.yahoo.ca, get a canadian email, then login to the yahoo group....

:)

enjoy,
-lloyd-

Originally posted by jmoberley
It looks like TiVo Canada now restrict access to Canadians only, so those of you elsewhere may have to bum info off a member.

Jon

vega
05-05-2003, 05:11 PM
I would like to show my appreciation to all by posting what I hope is a complete guide to creating and loading slice files to your SA tivo. This works flawlessly (finally)on my system.

This is the product of many long hours, reading, trying, modifying, cursing, and reading some more. Various programs listed here are not my creation, but I have modified them to get this working on my system. This runs completely on Windows (I have XP), and the tivo.

You will find everything need (except the Perl) to get this going in the attached file.

:D :D :D

vega

redhat39
05-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Interesting a little over two years from the last post and no comments on vega's post.

Anyway thanks vega for the post. Seems like this could work. Maybe when I get back from vacation I'll give this a whirl. Sure would like to drop one of my Tivo subs and this just might do it.

mediastorm
05-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Why not use XMLTV to grab the guide data. It works well and can be configured and running in under 10 minutes..

bsbd_1
05-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Because it doesn't get the ppv data from zap2it.

mediastorm
05-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Ah, good point. Has anyone figured out a reliable way to pull it off the DTivo yet?

tholden1
02-27-2004, 02:01 AM
You're awesome. Thanks.

I would like to show my appreciation to all by posting what I hope is a complete guide to creating and loading slice files to your SA tivo. This works flawlessly (finally)on my system.

This is the product of many long hours, reading, trying, modifying, cursing, and reading some more. Various programs listed here are not my creation, but I have modified them to get this working on my system. This runs completely on Windows (I have XP), and the tivo.

You will find everything need (except the Perl) to get this going in the attached file.

:D :D :D

vega