PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Tivo do I want?

thenatureboy
03-21-2002, 11:47 PM
I am a total newbie to the Tivo scene. I have began to read the how to docs, and read other posts. One thing I haven't ran across is something offering suggestions as to what brand/model of Tivo is the best to have. Maybe it doesn't matter? From what I have gathered so far, the digital recording time the Tivo comes with doesn't really matter because you can swap/add drives. Bigger is always better though I guess. Thanks in advance for any advice.

groundhog
03-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Well if you're going to use Direct TV, you want a Direct TV tivo. There are basically three types, The Phillips DSR6000, the Sony(T60?), and the Hughs. Some like the Sony the best. If you're into hacking direct TV then the Phillips is the best for some of the hacks here. The Hughs is almost the exact same unit as the Phillips, but the hughs is slightly harder to add a drive to, but it can be restored by the same image as the phillips.

As far as recording time goes, you're not exactly correct. Yes you can add drives an max it out, but Direct TV recorders get 3 times the recording space for Best type quality as compared to a Stand Alone. Example, if you have a 35 gig drive in a SA you will get around 10 hours of recording at Best. In a Direct TV unit, you will get close to 35 hours of similar quality. If you add drives you will benifit much more from the extra space on the direct tv unit compared to the stand alone.

Oh yea, one last thing. If you can get a tivo with a single drive. It's a little easier to add a drive to.

bit_head
03-22-2002, 02:54 PM
I have an RCA 4290. I have searched and have not been able to find anything on this unit. Can I mod the unit with 25xtreme? If so which flavor works on this unit?

groundhog
03-22-2002, 05:14 PM
I have an RCA 4290. I have searched and have not been able to find anything on this unit.

That's because it isn't a Tivo it is a Ultimate TV unit. See a different forum or website. The Ultimate TV units don't require any type of hack to avoid phone calls. I'm not sure of thier abilities to accept drive upgrades.

thenatureboy
03-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!