PDA

View Full Version : Updating the serial number.

Vadim
06-21-2001, 07:37 PM
I'm sure there is a way to do it, the same way the password gets reseted if it's not factory, they do this when they refubrish the units because they put them in different boxes, etc..

pasha
06-21-2001, 11:02 PM
seems like "crypto -u " something should do it...
is anyone have disassembler for PowerPC/Linux ELF

illie
06-22-2001, 12:54 AM
I've got a G4 mac running linux.. if you have a suggestion of a good disassembler (and you know how to read ppc asm..) I can either disassemble it, or maybe make a static version of it to run on the tivo..

BearSouth
06-23-2001, 10:02 AM
Some (early) versions of the BIOS diagnostic code had a "Change Serial Number" option. That option disappeared with the advent of 2.x software. Even so, while I was playing in those menus, the CSN option didn't seem to work. If someone were into disassembling code, one of those old BIOS images might be an interesting place to look.

Vadim
06-23-2001, 10:56 AM
I read somewhere before that very early tivos had that option working, but it wouldn't update the crypto chip, instead it would update it somewhere in the system, tivo then fixed this and it never worked again. I was playing with this option and it does nothing aftre you enter 3 numbers it submits them. There should be a way using the command eel-sushi mantioned.

Autodestruct
06-25-2001, 10:50 AM
Serial numbers were located in two places, the crypto chip, and the hard drive. I'm not sure which 'crypto -u' updated. If it was the hard drive, that could explain why TiVo stopped looking at the HD for the SN. It was upgradable by other utilities, and was a problem for repairs and hard drive swaps.

If TiVo was smart, they'd store the serial number in a write-once only area of the chip.

-AD

Slickwillie
06-30-2001, 01:37 AM
http://www.dsschat.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=31522

NPBeacher
07-01-2001, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by vadim
I read somewhere before that very early tivos had that option working, but it wouldn't update the crypto chip, instead it would update it somewhere in the system, tivo then fixed this and it never worked again. I was playing with this option and it does nothing aftre you enter 3 numbers it submits them. There should be a way using the command eel-sushi mantioned.

I'd have to agree. I don't think the TiVo folks would put it anywhere else but in a write-once part of their chip.