PDA

View Full Version : SA Tivo Hard Drive

efilnicafesin
03-27-2002, 02:20 PM
I want to upgrade my HD in my SA tivo. Does brand matter?? I did read in one of the guides about using a 5400 rpm which is no problem. I also saw in a few threads here about using a Quantum--Are they still around?? Are there any brands to stay away from?? I am looking at a Maxtor and wanted to know if this should be ok.

Yeah....I'm a newbie :D

Hey Hey
03-27-2002, 02:55 PM
I used an 80 GB 5400 rpm Maxtor in my DTivo and it is working just fine.

groundhog
03-27-2002, 04:46 PM
The Quantums used to be suggested a lot, because they were used as backups. People would make a backup directly to a Quantum drive, and use it as the new A drive keeping the original as the backup. We can now make 130 meg compressed images, an use other drives as a new A drive, so it doesn't matter that much. I've mainly seen people use Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate. Those are 3 that I can think of off the top of my head. Brand is only as important as the quality that follows the brand. Just make sure that it has an IDE connection. Some people discourage 7200rpm drives because they tend to run a little hotter.

BubbleLamp
03-27-2002, 05:21 PM
WD's tend to be quite noisy, I'd stay away from them.

groundhog
03-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Maxtors seem to be the least expensive, and therefore most popular. Fry's currently has a 80gig on sale for $90. Great Price. It's a 7200, but I paid about $220 for an 80gig 5400 Maxtor just about a year ago.

Some prefer Seagate. I got a 60gig on sale for $80 a few months back, and it works great. They also are on sale now an then at fry's. If you aren't local to a Fry's Elec, then you can try ordering one from the web. Here is a link to a site that has many low cost internet sites for hard drives.

http://www.pricewatch.com./

efilnicafesin
03-28-2002, 06:38 AM
I've got a local guy who has a Maxtor 5400 80gig for $120. In my system now is just the original drive. Being this is my first time opening the box even, would it be wise for me to leave my original alone and just work on the new drive or should I go for the 2 together right off the bat? I am good with pc's but have never experienced Linux. With 2 drives in it, is the heat inside much greater??? My entertainment center is crowded right now with not a whole lot of air flow. I have already considered installing some fans since my stereo reciever throws a load of heat already.

groundhog
03-28-2002, 11:07 AM
If you have access to a CD burner, then there is no reason you shouldn't go ahead and back up your A drive and add the 80 gig as a "B" drive. Even if you don't have access to the Burner, if you have a little space left on your PC's hard drive, you can back it up to the hard drive and figure out how to get it on a CD later....You other option is not to make a backup. It's the easiest option, but the most risky. You can probably find the image you need here anyway, but you may want to try to find it first, before making a choice like that. Anyway, I would suggest backing up the image to your PC drive, blessing the 80 Gig "B" drive, and adding it. It's not hard to do, and you don't need to know a thing about Linix. Just follow Hinsdale's instructions.

efilnicafesin
03-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I do have access to a burner, but I thought that I had to disconnect the hard drives in my pc and boot with the cd. I guess I better read some more before I start doing this project. Is the 25Extreme the right guide to follow?

BubbleLamp
03-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Have you read Hinsdale's doc here (http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/)?

groundhog
03-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Is the 25Extreme the right guide to follow?

NO! Extreme was mainly created for hacks on Direct TV Tivos. There should be no reason that you need it. Just follow Hinsdales guide, and find the files mentioned in it. You will still want to create a bootable CD, if you can, but it won't be extreme. See section 4) of the guide, for which one you need.

efilnicafesin
03-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Thank you guys for your help. No I never saw that guide. My wife would kill me if I screw up her Tivo :D

efilnicafesin
04-01-2002, 08:09 AM
I was exploring my SA Tivo over the weekend. I have Ver 2.5 software on it. Do I still follow Hinsdales guide to add the extra HD?? Is there anything else to do to it?? I would ultimately like to disable the channel logging or the phone dialing.
Also, Is there a way to add a second tuner to this pos or buy a new one.

BubbleLamp
04-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Adding the second drive is easy, follow Hinsdale's doc. You cannot disable dial-in, that's how the SA Tivo's get their guide data. And if you can add a second tuner, then you don't need to be here. :D

efilnicafesin
04-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
And if you can add a second tuner, then you don't need to be here. :D

:D

Thats what I figured...just a hope. No way to disable the channel logging?? Is there anything else I can do the SA or is it just swapping drives??? I can't leave well enough alone.

groundhog
04-03-2002, 08:08 PM
No way to disable the channel logging??

There's definately a way, I'm just not sure anyone has figured it out and posted it here.

Did you see my post at the bottom of this thread? (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10633)

One of the problems with following the Clearlogs fix is that it is done after the phone call is attempted. That wouldn't help you much because your unit would have actually made a phone call at that point. The trick is to find a point in rcsysinit, where a phone call is initiated, & place the execution command there......BEFORE.... the phone call is actually made. I'm not entirely sure that this is possible, but I would imagine that this would be the best approach. Maybe there is a way to make it execute at midnight every night? I think that the phone calls usually take place at around 2AM.

efilnicafesin
04-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Groundhog. Thanks for the info. This sounds way to complicated for a rookie. I did catch your other post. I don't have any of the paperwork for mine...A family member upgraded to the Directivo so he gave me the SA. It had the life sub so we don't get a bill or anything. I would guess that they can't log a channel if it changed the channel on my IRD instead of the tivo remote.

groundhog
04-04-2002, 10:46 AM
I would guess that they can't log a channel if it changed the channel on my IRD instead of the tivo remote.

Probably not, If you really want to be safe, change the channel on the Tivo with the Tivo remote to one of your subed channels, then & do a Manual recording". Then you can use the other remote to change to whatever channel you want." The Tivo will tell you that the recording is different than what you actually watch, but you will still be able to watch a PPV, or HBO show or whatever.

P.S. The hack were you manually delete the logs with bash once a week is definately do-able. There is a "Guide for dumbys" for bash available, and it's not hard to build your own cable. I could easily help you with the rest, if you got that far. If you want to look into it, let me know. I'll give you all the links that you need. I didn't know Anything about Linix when I first came here & I've figured out much more complicated stuff than the hack that were talking about.

efilnicafesin
04-04-2002, 12:32 PM
I would definately appreciate the help. I can build cables without trouble. I've done many different types with DB and rj45. I've got the parts and all. Any links you can give me I will definately take a look. I am hopefully adding my new HD this weekend if time is on my side. Would installing the Bash software be smart to do while I've got the drive out or take one step at a time? My EC is awfully crammed with equipment and it is kinda a pain to get the Tivo out.

groundhog
04-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Would installing the Bash software be smart to do while I've got the drive out or take one step at a time?

Yea, especially if you do a backup first. You need to remove the drive to add bash anyway. Why tear your unit apart twice?

groundhog
04-04-2002, 01:29 PM
HERE (http://black-widow000.150m.com/TiVo-PPP/index.htm) Is the Bash for Dumby's Web Site.

efilnicafesin
04-04-2002, 01:32 PM
I agree with that. Thanks for the link. This will keep me busy for a bit.

groundhog
04-04-2002, 01:37 PM
HERE (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5827&pagenumber=2) is the link to info on a very easy way to build your cable.

P.S. I'm not sure what will come with the release of version 3.0 software. If you establish Bash now, there is a chance it may not work if your software is upgraded. It will take some time to read and perform the hack to add bash, so you may want to decide if it's worth your time if it may go away in 3-6 months. Either way, it would be a good learning experience. Bash Is highly recommended all the time in the Direct Tv forum. People are always trying to avoid using it there, and receive responces, saying "add bash, you will need it for future hacking efforts". I know that I followed that advice and it turned out that I DID need it.

groundhog
04-04-2002, 08:01 PM
HERE'S (http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/shell.asp) another Bash Link. It is a little more basic and to-the-point, but may assume that you know a little going into it.

groundhog
04-04-2002, 08:06 PM
P.S. I'm not sure if it was the addition of 2.5 SW in general, or just 2.5 for Direct TV units, but Chattr is now required(at least for the direct TV tivos). You may need to figure out on your own if it's needed for the SA. So, you may need to add the Chattr file. Also, the last guide that I posted already assumes that you have the Joe editor installed. If you don't see the original guide for how to install it.

P.S. one of the Joe files requires a Dos to Unix conversion. Search the Web for the Unix2Dos file & search here for how to use it. You can find a post linked to my name in the DirectTV forum for it.

efilnicafesin
04-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Very cool. Thanks. This will keep me busy for a while. The second link for the Bash info didn't come out. Does this site have a files section??? I know I've seen some links in the How-to's section and throughout the site.

groundhog
04-05-2002, 11:05 AM
I fixed the link. Sorry :(. You know, I was thinking. When you want to add bash, you add a command to the bottom of the rcsysinit file. So everytime you boot bash is started. I think that you could just add the command to execute the clearlogs file in the same place, and everytime you wanted to clear the logs, you would just need to reboot the tivo. Anyway, that may be an option if you want an easier way out. It actually may be a better choice, because you wouldn't need to connect with your PC once a week. The thing is that you could always do it really easily, later, after you add bash. That's the cool thing about bash. You don't need to remove your hard drive every time you want to hack the Tivo. You can even watch TV while your hacking :)

groundhog
04-05-2002, 02:02 PM
I found an old post regarding a method directly related to clearlogs, that was discussed before the clearlog file was created. In essance it does the exact same thing.

IMHO, just putting
rm -rf /var/log
mkdir /var/log
runsyslog=false
in rc.sysinit is not the best way to deal with the log file problem. The
runsyslog=false
part is ok, but just deleting all the logs on bootup will not prevent the logs from being recreated by the DTiVo routines and they will continue to grow until the next bootup.

What superzap is saying in this post is that it's not the best method, because if you don't reboot for a long time, you could have problems, but in your case, if you booted once a week(before a phone call), you'd be fine. One other thing, is that you need to confirm that the log directory exists in /var/log. I'm not sure that it is in the same place for a SA as a direct tivo.