PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Spontaneously Records Shows

knottydrd
04-03-2002, 11:14 PM
My TiVo started spontaneously recording shows. When I get up in the morning it has recorded about 5 or 6 movies from various movie channels. It is a Phillips DSR6000 that has 25Xtreme installed. Does anyone know why it does this?

Also, my TiVo was given to me without a remote. Someone is giving me their Phillips Remote from a different unit. Do I need to do anything special to get it to work?

Thank you in advance.

BubbleLamp
04-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Turn off auto record suggestions if you don't want it to record on its own.

Unless they changed the remote code, no, you should be able to use the remote.

knottydrd
04-04-2002, 12:00 AM
That worked. Thank you for your help.

michaelk
04-04-2002, 03:29 PM
theres no reason to shut it off unless you just dont like it.

It is recording suggestions based upon what you already told it you liked (from recording shows -or- when you get the remote using the thumbs up or down buttons to rate shows.)

It WILL NOT interfere with what you tell it you want- it is an extra. Your scheduled recordings always have precedance. ALso if the tivo needs space to record the shows you told it to it will just delete the suggestions to make room. Sometimes it might find something you like. ALso its currently the only known method to approximate how much 'free time' you have on the drive- just count up the time taken up by suggestions andd you'll be able to tell how much time isnt taken up by your saved shows. The amount of storage is quite variable so theres really no other way currently to tell.

Also just because its not "recording" doesnt mean its not recording- the hardware is doing the exsact same thing all the time. If you tell it to record, it saves to a file on the now playing list. If its not "recodring" its still saving to a file, onlky its a tmeporary buffer file so you could rewind live TV if you happened to be watching. So there's no saving wear and tear by not recording.

BubbleLamp
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by michaelk
ALso its currently the only known method to approximate how much 'free time' you have on the drive- just count up the time taken up by suggestions andd you'll be able to tell how much time isnt taken up by your saved shows. The amount of storage is quite variable so theres really no other way currently to tell.

That's not quite accurate. Tivo also knows what shows are in your to do list, season passes, and makes adjustments to what it will record on its own based on that. So adding up the suggestions is only an approximation at best.