PDA

View Full Version : Drive Sharing between Two SA's

elevendog
04-06-2002, 01:08 AM
I have two Hdr112's. One has a bad modem, and I have not gotten into trying Tivonet yet. What are the implications of putting the drive from the broken one into the good unit and forcing a call for the guide data; then putting the drive back into the broken unit for the next 2 weeks until guide data runs out?

a) Is the unit serial number that the drive normally is used in also recorded from the chip and reported in the data sent back to Tivo?
b) If so, what would happen if I used the drive for a day in the 'good' unit? Would two serial numbers get sent back (13 days from one and 1 day from the other)
c) Only other option at my current level of expertise is to download fresh guide data on good unit, backup that drive and restore onto the broken unit drive. BUT then I lose all my saved stuff on the broken unit drive. Any suggestions for me along those lines?

groundhog
04-06-2002, 02:02 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you only do it once... or maybe twice(in a month), then never again, I wouldn't imagine that it would be a problem. At least they're both 112's. I swaped drives back and forth between my tivo's once, and never gave it a second thought. I didn't run into a problem with Tivo because I did it.

Sorry I can't answer all of your questions. As far as the seriel number, I think that it probably gets rewritten to the drive when you reboot. If there's nothing on the tivo with the broken modem, you can do a clear and delete everything, and that should clear the seriel number for sure.