PDA

View Full Version : Need help with "video server" setup

jasper
04-10-2002, 08:32 PM
I think I -almost- have all the info I need for this project but I am a little stuck. I want to use my TiVo as a video server. I don't want to subscribe (I already do for 2), I don't need any guide data, I don't need any vide on the unit, and I don't mind changing versions. If I understand correctly, I want to be running version 2.0 so that the fixup script can be used.

I am unclear about 2 major points - doesn't the script have to be run every day, for each potential call (and if so, from where and how)?

And second, these lines of code confuse me:

# Guided Setup has been completed, use instead of SETUP_BYPASS
# dbobj $sobj set Complete 1
dbobj $sobj set DemoMode 0

So if I do a full system reset, what should I do? If I uncomment that line and set Complete to 1, is that better or worse than playing with SETUP_BYPASS? Does this script assume a value for SETUP_BYPASS? All the reading I've done seems to talk about using this script but I kinda want to figure out what it is going to do before I blindly run it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheDoctor
04-13-2002, 12:25 PM
I have read this a few times and am not sure I understand the question, but I will take a stab at it.

There have been a number of scripts for the tivo. Some allowed you to bypass the mandatory setup, others attempted to set various variables to keep 2.0 working properly. Once someone figured out the right variables for everything, they put it all in one script.

If you want to start the machine without ever having it call tivo uncomment the line below, but you may have to build things manually. This is very useful on DTV systems, as they already know most of the configuration data they need, on the SA's unless you live outside the US, it probably would not hurt to let the tivo make the setup calls or you will have to locate scripts to set it up manually.

# dbobj $sobj set Complete 1

Ignore the reference to SETUP_BYPASS

jasper
04-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Thanks for taking a stab at it, so far it has already helped. I'll try to get a little deeper here, so I don't mind doing the setup call, but after that I do want to do my own guide data for this unit. I'll worry about that later. My next questions in getting this set up are:

Will the fixup script still work in 2.5? Does it need to be run every day to convince the unit that its call was successful (to avoid boat anchor mode after 30 days)? If so, can I just make a change to the daily calling script to call the fixup script instead of actually dialing? Which script is that?

Once I have the unit stable and thinking that it is calling in every day successfully, I'll move on to generating and loading slice files for my dvd collection, but that's a whole other thread. :) Thanks again for the help.

TheDoctor
04-13-2002, 06:58 PM
I think that 2.5.x starts nagging at 15 days and locks up at 30. So if you run the script once every couple of weeks you should not see the callin nag. You will see a no data nag. Once the machine is set up, you should be able to leave the line commented out.