PDA

View Full Version : 900s on DSR6000

Mikell808
04-11-2002, 08:23 PM
First questin is I can't determine from what I have read if it is possible to get the 900s on the DSR6000. I downloaded the files which leads me to my second question. If it is possible can someone send me step by step instructions for someone who has no Linux knowledge about this. I have been reading but everything I have read including the Readme files make alot of assumptions about what the reader should already know and its all greek to me.

BubbleLamp
04-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Since the spot beams were activated you can't get all the time zones across the nation like before. You CAN get the national east and west coast feeds, plus whatever overlapping locals you might be close to. The mvchannels script lets you do this.

Now, as to a step-by-step, I think you'll have to dig in and start learning. Most folks around here are very glad to help those that help themselves, but frown upon the "spoon feeding". This is a hobby, and like any other, takes some effort to become proficient at.

Mikell808
04-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Yes, yes, yes I know all about spot beams etc........been EMUing for long time, and about spoon feeding, I appreciate your haveing represented all of the members of this forum and their beliefs, I wonder how they got their knowledge.

I have been reading thru this stuff for almost a week now I only post the questions when I realize I am not getting after reading and trust me I am no moron when it comes to computers, but everything I have read on this subject seems to assume a basic working knowledge of Linux which I dont have........repeat.......don't have so what I need right now is someone who has the patience to "spoon feed" me the basics, once I get the hang of it, I will be fine, but for now, this being the newbie section I need to be treated like a freshman not a lazy Junior. In the forum I attend for EMUs I am glad I don't treat the "newbies" as I have been treated, this is a hobby and its enjoyable to pass knowledge on not attitude. So as much as I appreciate you taking time to respond to my last three posts all of your responses have been to point me to locations that I have already been. Perhaps there is someone else out there that would like to take the time to coach a newbie thru some of the Linux basics.

BubbleLamp
04-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Then perhaps you need to go to a Linux board first. There are lots of people on this board that started with zero Linux knowledge and gotten their systems up and running with a little help here and there. Go ahead and post a poll and see. If you want to play with the Tivo, there's no getting around learning a little Linux. You DON'T have to be able to write a compiler, but you DO need to know what chmod does.

Have you tried drapatin's Newbies Guide here (http://www.gormly.com/users/drapatin/tutorial.html)?

Mikell808
04-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Yes I have been there too, I see now tho that there is a basics on Linux, I will do some playing around. Perahps if you dont want to spoon feed me you can at least tell me weather or not getting the 900s is actually possible with the dsr6000. Before I put alot of time into this it would help to know if it is even possible.

Meathead
04-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Go to http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5827 , start reading and make yourself a cable. You will need to enable a bash prompt by either a prom hack or by Xtreme. That is your first step.

Meathead

BubbleLamp
04-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Mikell808
Yes I have been there too, I see now tho that there is a basics on Linux, I will do some playing around. Perahps if you dont want to spoon feed me you can at least tell me weather or not getting the 900s is actually possible with the dsr6000. Before I put alot of time into this it would help to know if it is even possible.

You will be able to get the 380's, which are national east (NY) and west (LA) coast feeds. You will get the spot beam you're under, and possibly some stations from a nearby spot. If you use mvchannels, you can make them appear in your channel lineup where you want by editing the channels.dat file. (I have LA locals in the 70's, Sacramento locals in the 80's).

If you don't want to run mvchannels, you can play with your local byte and add the locals that way. However, if their numbers overlap, you may have problems (i.e. 2 number 2's).

T_RJ
04-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Mikell808

Welcome aboard!

To answer your question yes the DTiVo is able to receive the 900's.

The DTiVo unlike most IRD's is very customizable.

This IRD is software driven ( Linux )! WhooHoo

I didn't know shit about Linux 6 months ago and I now know a little more, but still don't know as much as i would like to.

That being said in order to take full advantage of this wonderful toy you have to dive in to Linux.

You must have at least a serial connection to your TiVo ( bash ).
In order to get bash the DTiVo must be hacked ( prom & kernel hacked ).

25xtreme does both of these for you, although I would recommend doing it manually at least once to give your self a boost of confidence/experience.

After you have bash the TiVo is yours for the hacking!

and since you say

I am no moron when it comes to computers

You must see that the DTiVo is wide open for exploration/hacking for those that are inquisitive.

Mikell808
04-12-2002, 10:34 PM
Thanks T_RJ finally someone who takes the time to answer the questions. Yes I already have my cable and have followed the steps to run the couple of programs to open up the TIVO. I printed out a page from the a bigginers page for unix with the basic commands. I am very good at DOS and I have a feeling from the little bit I read that this is similar in concept with different commands. Going to play around a bit and then try to read the readme file that came with the 900s file. I am fully aware of the spot beams and what channels I can get in my area which is why getting them back (was running an RCA222 IRD up until now) is very desirable. It was nice to see more responses I was begginging to think that Bubbles was the only one taking time to read the newbie section.

Mikell808
04-12-2002, 10:55 PM
well that didnt take long to screw up, went to my bash prompt, tried the ls command, worked fine, so I tried the make directory command, seemed to work good so I changed directory (cd) so far so good, now how the heck do I get back, tried just typing CD took me somewhere else, then I tried entering JOE, now I can't get a bash prompt and cant seem to get it to reset........suggestion please

Mikell808
04-12-2002, 11:27 PM
OK here we go again, followed the readme file go all the way to editing the rc.sysinit, perhaps someone should have noted somewhere in all the reading that I did that you cannot use keys like backspace, and enter or delete. What the F is going on here. and how do I restore the file back to what it is supposed to be.

BubbleLamp
04-13-2002, 12:19 AM
You want to run before you walk. Slow down and try your hand at Joe on a copy of a file.

As for the rc.sysinit. If you type ls in the rc.d directory, you should see a file called rc.sysinit~. This is the backup JOE saves. It may still be intact, assuming you didn't edit it more than once. If it is ok, then you can use it to restore the messed up file. If you don't have bash access anymore, then you'll have to mount the Tivo partition on your PC using Dylan's boot disk or Xtreme CD. This requires some more Linux commands.

From what you posted in the other section of this board, it seems you have no real desire to learn, just vent when you do things wrong. When you're ready to take responsibility for your actions, people will help. But you won't make many friends blaming people here for your own mistakes. Any of the mods done on this board can render your box useless. If you're not willing to accept that eventuality, then pay someone to do it for you.

Mikell808
04-13-2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the response Bubbles and the words of wisdom, I am really letting them have it in the experts section. They really pissed me off in there.

I found it easier to transfer any files I need to edit into the PC then us textpad to make my edits and then transfer the file back. Textpad can edit and save in UNIX. That seems to have solved most of my problems. I have figured out how keep my locals in the 00-100s and put all the others that we get in this area, into the 900s. So far, the only problem I seem to have acquired is an abundance of new channels in the guide in the 00-100 range. Seems I have somehow opened the door to all locals from around the country to show up in my guide. I have about 30 channel 2s etc..... was able to go into the channel options and manually remove then from the guide, but I think there must be something I need to do to not have them be there at all. Perhaps this is a question for those experts that I have now attacked.

T_RJ
04-13-2002, 10:45 AM
You need to edit your channels.dat file.
Change the last number on each line of the channels you don't to appear on the guide to 0.
Then run mvchannels.tcl.

These channels will start to reappear if you don't loop the script.

I had the same thing happen to me.

I don't run anything in the 900 looping the mvchannels tends to slow the TiVo down.

I would recommend selecting only the locals you really want and creating a channels .dat that reflects this. Leave thechannels in there default location and you will only need to run the script once the channels will stay after that.

Mikell808
04-13-2002, 05:52 PM
I haven't applied a file called channels.dat. Is this something that comes with TIVO? I actually removed the file mvchannels and they are still there. Doing more reading and testing to see what it might be but I am open to suggestion.