PDA

View Full Version : Think I screwed it up again..

Mikell808
04-18-2002, 07:30 PM
Taking suggestions to eliminate the 900s.tcl program and use the mvchannels. Got everything running just right, no more excessive channels showing up in the 00-100s range. All channels mapped out just where I wanted them. Needed to restart the system to be able to get back to my Bash prompt in order to make the final changes to the rc.sysinit file.

Heres where I am concerned, won't boot back up. Stuck on the "welcome: powering up"

Do I need to reload extreme25 and start all over or is there something I else I can do at this point.

T_RJ
04-18-2002, 08:09 PM
You can mount the tivo hardrive in your PC and restore the rc.sysinit backup file. It will be called rc.sysinit~.

Then put the drive back in your tivo and it should boot.

If your backup rc.sysinit is screwed you can copy a good one from this forum and you should be ok.

You may want to rename your broken rc.sysinit to some other name so you can refer to it once your up and running again.

You will have to redo what ever changes you made to the rc.sysinit minus the one one the F**ked it up.

Mikell808
04-18-2002, 09:54 PM
I was not able to actually get to the point of changing the rc.sysint to f--- it up. That was the next step. Did some reading and tested the hardware connections as suggested and found them all on nice and tight, had no choice but to start over. All seems moving along OK, I am back at the mvchannels.tcl. This time I did not run it at the bash prompt, just used the channels.dat file that was created in the first attempt and added the line to the rc.sysinit. So far nothing happening in the 900s but I did just start getting the ones I had mapped to the 00s. Do I need to run something from the Bash prompt to get it started. I did do a restart after changing the sysinit file.

BubbleLamp
04-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Go in to bash and type ps aux and verify the mvchannels process is running.

If it's running, the numbers should be in the guide right away, but the data will take a while to populate.

Mikell808
04-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Thanks will give that a try, where do you guys learn all of these commands, I have read alot, each day I find you guys have answers that I would have never thought of

BubbleLamp
04-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Trust me, I am no *nix expert, not even a programmer. The very first time I used vi, I had to run to the bookstore to buy a book on Unix so I could figure out how to get out of it!

What I am is very curious. That's what keeps me motivated, the desire to understand as best I can. I'll never be in the league of BubbaJ, Kraven, dsboyce, PGM, et. al. but I absorb as much as I can.

T_RJ
04-19-2002, 12:06 AM
Like He Said!

And screwing it up again and again etc.... is the best teacher!

Mikell808
04-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by T_RJ
And screwing it up again and again etc.... is the best teacher!

Seems like the qoute of the day, as I had everything running again accept I couldnt get the channels to work using mvchannels yet. Kept playing around with it and poooof back to the locking up on the welcome screen again. Any ideas why this is happening? has something to do with mvchannels. I think I will start fresh and this time I am going back to the 900s.tcl. At least with that file I didnt crash when restarting.

BubbleLamp
04-19-2002, 12:50 AM
You need to get it working properly before you even bother putting it in rc.sysinit. That's the last step.

Go to bash and run the exact same commands you are entering in rc.sysinit, but make 2 minor changes. Change the loop= to 3 and leave off the > /dev/null so you can see what is happening.

T_RJ
04-19-2002, 12:56 AM
Don't put move channels in the rc.sysinit.

If you use the install script for the turboextract provided by DAE
Here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=37093)

It installs all the nesecary files for tivoweb and the drivers for turbonet.

I know this is not what you are looking for at this point but!

It adds a single line at the end of the rc.sysinit file that spawns the rc.turbo file.

In this file are all of the startup files for tivoweb and nic drivers.

You could comment these items out of this file and add your mvchannel commands here.

You could add a sleep=xxxx before it starts your mvc or what ever else you want in there.

If your scripts/mods fail and you made the sleep time long enough you could edit this file before it actually executes.

Beats yanking the drives to mount them in your PC.

Hope this makes sense.

Mikell808
04-19-2002, 10:29 AM
OK, back up an running, this time did the mvchannels one step at a time, did the dump, edited the channels. Then ran the line (thanks bubbles) ./mvchannels.tcl -loop=2 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat &

This time things ran different rather then finding bad channels it went thru the list and posted it as removing channels that were listed with "0" when all was done after the 2 loops I have all the channels I want but there is still something strange going on. When I try to access the guide. If I am on local channel 7 or 10 and I access the guide that is all that comes up is those 2 channels. If I go above them I can get the full guide until I scroll down to them and then I get blank pages. Very strange. The only thing I can think of is I missed the Reload step. Going to try that and run the command line again. One more question.

What is purpose of the looping. Why can't it run just once and set up the channels. Would it be wrong to set the delay to something like 3 hours rather then the default of 5 minutes

BubbleLamp
04-19-2002, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikell808

This time things ran different rather then finding bad channels it went thru the list and posted it as removing channels that were listed with "0" when all was done after the 2 loops I have all the channels I want but there is still something strange going on. When I try to access the guide. If I am on local channel 7 or 10 and I access the guide that is all that comes up is those 2 channels. If I go above them I can get the full guide until I scroll down to them and then I get blank pages.

This happens because you have more than one channel assigned the same number. Check carefully to see if you have duplicate in your list.

What is purpose of the looping. Why can't it run just once and set up the channels. Would it be wrong to set the delay to something like 3 hours rather then the default of 5 minutes

You must loop to keep the channels relocated. If you want, there is an alternate method of getting locals by playing with the guide byte and running script once, then wait for it to populate, then repeat. The reason the time has to be short is because the Tivo is always trying to move the numbers back to their original locations, so you have to refresh them before it does.

Mikell808
04-19-2002, 01:57 PM
Yes that did solve the guide problem, there was a listing for channel 10 using the MI10 as well as its 4 letter call sign.......thanks.

Now about this looping thing, if I understand correctly at some point the Dtivo unit will loose the channels that I set up in the 900s so if I run a single loop and then monitor how long it takes to loose them currently it was almost 2.5 hours when I reset the channels.dat and re-ran Mvchannels and the 900s were still there. I am going to monitor the guide about every 15 minutes. would this be right, is the amount of time it would take to loose the channels going to be consistant or is it something that comes thru the data stream that signals the change.

marq1
03-20-2004, 02:50 PM
i need help bad can someone please help