PDA

View Full Version : MvChannels command line

Mikell808
04-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Got all working fine with Mvchannels, tested it all weekend with different delay times and concluded that I am one of the fortunate few who can run the delay with long intervals, using 400 minutes, Lucky me. Anyway been trying to run the command line now to keep it running in the back ground and I am copying the portion of the line [ > /dev/null & ] Based on what I have read this keep it running without using the terminal window which is what I would like, yet I cannont get the command to run with this line added.

Is there another format to use when running from a bash prompt?

BubbleLamp
04-22-2002, 01:29 AM
What is the full command line you are entering?

Mikell808
04-22-2002, 08:45 AM
Good question, here is the line I am currently using and it is working, of course it only loops 4 times so I can go back and enter the proper code with the dev=null option once I figure it out. OK here is the line following the ./

mvchannels.tcl -loop=4 -delay=400 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat &

I have been trying to enter > /dev/null between the .dat and the & just like it has in the instructions for the rc.sysinit file

BubbleLamp
04-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Mikell808
Good question, here is the line I am currently using and it is working, of course it only loops 4 times so I can go back and enter the proper code with the dev=null option once I figure it out. OK here is the line following the ./

mvchannels.tcl -loop=4 -delay=400 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat &

I have been trying to enter > /dev/null between the .dat and the & just like it has in the instructions for the rc.sysinit file

Try this for your rc.sysinit:

/var/hack/mvchannels.tcl -loop=4 -delay=400 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat > /dev/null &

Mikell808
04-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp

Try this for your rc.sysinit:

/var/hack/mvchannels.tcl -loop=4 -delay=400 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat > /dev/null &

Sorry Bubbles but I already have this information, it is not the question I asked. Perhaps if I explain my needs a bit better. Since switching from 900s.tcl to Mvchannels I have had the system freeze on boot up 2 times and have had to start from scratch. I want to avoid haveing to pull the plug if at all possible to avoid this risk. so my goal here is to run the command line from the bash prompt. Now it is working fine accept that it runs in the terminal window. from my reading the portion of the rc.sysinit command line " > /dev/null" will run this in the background so to speak. Trying to find out the proper context for adding this the command line that I am using from the bash prompt.

BubbleLamp
04-22-2002, 02:44 PM
The ampersand (&) at the end is what spawns a separate process. The redirection (> /dev/null) sends any output from the program to the null device, rather than the screen.

What does/doesn't happen the way you want when you use

./mvchannels.tcl -loop=4 -delay=400 -file=/var/hack/channels.dat > /dev/null &

Mikell808
04-22-2002, 04:21 PM
It gives me some quick output like 2(150) I dont know what that means and then I just end up back at my bash prompt.

Yes complettly understand what that command line is supposed to be doing but it is not doing it.

BubbleLamp
04-22-2002, 05:22 PM
No, it IS doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Type ps aux, if you see the mvchannels process running, then it's running.

As far as it working with a delay of 400, I highly doubt it. My channels occassionally fall back even with a delay of 4 minutes.

Mikell808
04-22-2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks I will try that, never thought of it actually running and checking to see. Thanks, as far as the 400 minutes been doing it since sunday I believe it ran almost 10 hours without loosing a channel. So I went with 6.5 to give it a margin of error.

Mikell808
04-25-2002, 12:19 AM
LOL, you know what I now think was going on during that 10 hours of the channels not moving was I had probably run that command line not know it actually worked and then when I ran another from the prompt not using the dev/null command it was also running. I may have written that hidden command several times and assumed it wasn't working.

Anyway for now I have it at 360, and I have found that 2 of the WP channels move just prior to the program running again. Doesnt really affect me for now but I will try 300 at some point. Thanks again for the help all is running very nicely now.