PDA

View Full Version : About to crack the case.. am I on the right track? long msg.

SilentRain
05-23-2002, 01:47 AM
Well I have spent about 2 days reading everything on this board I can. Some makes sense, most is a little above my head. I have had Replay units and upgraded them but the tivo seems a little more involved.

I have a Sony T60 with a 40GB quantum inside. The drive has 2.5 on it and no sub. I have a 2nd T60 with a lifetime on it and I tried using MFS tools to back up, restore to empty drive and the put in my new T60. I just get an error "Cannot load kernel."

I have 2 questions:

1. Can I just edit the rc.ini file thing to make the copied drive work in the new T60 with a diff serial number?

2. If not, I am planning on taking a new 120GB put a 2.5 T60 image I got from abs.net/tivo. Then go through the xtreme 2.5 cd to get up and running.

Any tips or even pointers to other threads I may have missed would be great. I have read on many sites that if you have a Lifetime on one box as long as all the other boxes in your house are the same make and model mirroring the systems would work.

Thanks in advance.

superzap
05-29-2002, 04:56 PM
If you state your objective, maybe someone will answer. The lifetime sub on one box can be mirrored to as many other boxes as you want providing they are connected to same phone line. If you don't want to do any software hacking and just want to increase the recording capacity, you don't need any special images, just follow the hinsdale howto ===> http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

SilentRain
05-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Upgraded to 2.5 xtreme and touched subtest. Everything works great...

I have a question about the logs issue. This DTivo will not be connected to a phone line, should I do something about the logs? Is there any way to tell if the logs are getting out of control without taking the drives out or bashing?

Scott.

superzap
05-31-2002, 07:26 PM
Recommend you get bash working and setup logsNull.