PDA

View Full Version : Lost my BASH prompts with 2.5.2 'upgrade'

temjin0
06-03-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm trying to graduate up from "script kiddie" to understanding what is going on, so I'd like some help, if anyone has any suggestions.

My setup: DSR6000, installed XTreme25, installed TurboNet card & software. Just as I was finally getting things working, TiVo/Dave installed 2.5.2, and when my TiVo rebooted, I lost my BASH prompts. Neither serial nor ethernet respond.

I removed the drive, checked /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit in partitions 4, 7, and 9, and made sure that all of them include the ifconfig and /bin/bash lines (I wasn't exactly sure which one it should be, so I copied my /hdx4 rc.sysinit to both /hdx7 and hdx9).

What should I look for?

thanks

mrblack51
06-03-2002, 01:57 PM
you dont need to worry about doing stuff to hdX9, because thats the /var partition. what you probably forgot to do was kill the initrd. do a search on the board to see how to do it with a dd command, or just use jafa's turbonet install cd, using the kill_initrd command:

kill_initrd /dev/hdX3
kill_initrd /dev/hdX6

temjin0
06-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Somewhere in all the excitement, I ended up with a DTiVo that would boot, then reboot, then reboot, then reboot, then reboot....

I suspect that what happened was that I ran the Tivoflash utiltiy twice without installing the drive in the DTivo.

Anyway, after a reinstall of 25XTreme, the system was back up and running, and I had my BASH prompt back. For anyone following in my steps, I do recommend the Xtreme_Update.zip located here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12767&highlight=xtremeupgrade (Thanks, KRavEN)