PDA

View Full Version : smbfs - How to implement?

temjin0
06-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Round 2 of Temjin's stupid TiVo questions: How to get SMBFS working?

Here's my setup:
DSR6000
XTreme 2.5
TuboNet card & Drivers
KRavEN's xtreme_upgrade (I like the DHCP, BTW)

WinME machine 192.168.1.112 with share "trans", password "tivo"

I'm trying to get a samba connection, and when I enter the command:
smbmount //192.168.1.112/trans /mnt/trans -P tivo

I get the following error:
mount error: Invalid argument
Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons

What have I overlooked here?

Thank you.

AlphaWolf
07-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Ok I just tried smbmount in a tivo for the first time today, and what do you know it doesn't work, I'm getting this same problem described above. This binary is pretty old, so I can't find any man documents that explain what option im missing. Also I tried looking on AVS and got nowhere, anybody seen any clear answers to this?

TheDoctor
07-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Some problems are solved with skill, other with art....Samba takes brute force.

I don't think that -P option works, at least it never has for me. It may take a few or many attempts to get a good login. Even when it tells you you are connected you may not be able to view the contents of directories, if that happens umount and try again. It may also reboot you machine....

That being said, when I attempt the mount immediately after a booting the system, I get a good connection about 90 percent of the time on the first try, and the connection will stay up for weeks untill one of the boxes is rebooted. I have never bothered to scope the session to see just what is going on at the packet level. I have a small scipt with the insmod, umount and smbmount commands in sequence and just paste it into the terminal, then fill in the password so each attempt takes about 8 keystrokes. (It is possible to script around the password, but not worth effort.)

If I have more than 8 units logged into the server, I have sometimes been unable to mount the 9th tivo until I drop one of the other units. That may be part of the server config.

The speed gain over NFS makes it my choice, although the 2gb limit is a pain at times...(I never found a good NFS server for NT that stood up to heavy use. There are a number of fairly good ones....)

I use './smbmount //10.250.1.3/r0 /mnt -I 10.250.1.3 -U Administrator -D DevDomain'

I believe that you have to use the -I with the same ip as the mount path. The -U and -D options are necessary because of my server config.