PDA

View Full Version : Sony Dtivo repair

Zannexx
06-07-2002, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know a good place to get a Sony T-60 Dtivo repaired. Lightning struck the house and now all I get is "insert an access card" message. *NOTE I do NOT get the message "Please insert a valid access card" when a dss or any other card is inserted it just stays at "insert an access card" . I took it apart and the metal prong in the back of the card slot is still there and appears to be functioning correctly. Being that I made a few modifications to the unit I would perfer not to have to send it back to Sony. I do have a DMM and can do basic soldering and testing if anyone has any suggestions on what i should test.

P.S. my emu computer was also damage so I assume the lightning travled through the emu computer to the card slot area. Everything else seem to be working properly.

Thanks,
Zannexx

superzap
06-07-2002, 11:40 AM
I don't know if they will do a T60, but they do a good job on regular DTV receivers.
http://www.jd-electronics.com/consrep.html

scanman0
06-09-2002, 06:40 AM
My experience, with lightening damage, is that you are most likely damaged beyond repair. You might salvage the disks, if lucky, but if you took a hit through a pc, and then into the card slot....your Tivo MB has obtained serious damage, and is not likely to be repaired.

donbadabon
06-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Zannexx
now all I get is "insert an access card" message. *NOTE I do NOT get the message "Please insert a valid access card" when a dss or any other card is inserted it just stays at "insert an access card"

Just out of curiosity, when you access System Information, what does it say for your Access Card ID? If it has numbers, I don't want them, I am looking to see if it says Access Card Not Inserted.

JMan
06-10-2002, 11:49 PM
Same thing happened here about 2 weeks ago.

No luck in finding a repair place here. If you find one please let me know.

I did however stumble across an open box buy at a good price. But I am having problems swapping drives to get it up and running.

Original post: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14058

Hopefully nothing to difficult to overcome. As fustrating as it may seem, that's what keeps this hobby interesting.

Good luck...Let me know how it turns out.

JMan

T_RJ
06-11-2002, 07:51 AM
Jman

I posted a reply in your thread.

Zannexx
06-11-2002, 10:45 PM
In the system information it says no access card (or something like that). As far as the whole Motherboard being damaged, thats possible but everything else works so i am hoping i am lucky and maybe just card slot damage. I am going to remove the Motherboard see if i can get at those pins without having to remove the Cardslot, if not out comes the soldering iron. Anyway wish me luck :)

Zannexx

SR712
06-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Here's a place where I got several of my Sony DirecTv IRDs repaired. They are tops in my book. They turned my machines around in 48 hours, and are very honest with what they can fix and what they can't. I was surprised, actually. HaHa. They are in North Carolina. I discussed with them whether they touched any DirecTiVos... and they said that they did indeed repair things like modems being hit, and access card reader problems. They did state that they stayed away from software stuff, understandably. For what its worth... they are at...

www.truettelectronics.com

If you call them, ask for Mike.

Just thought I'd mention it. :D

DarkWing
06-21-2002, 01:34 PM
I can verify that they repair Sony DTiVos, pretty good price, excellent turnaround time.

kilroy
07-08-2002, 03:01 AM
Re: www.truettelectronics.com

It appears that they sell diplexers as 'signal combiners'

Isn't that a relatively non-technical term for a company that is supposed to be somewhat technical?

The up-side is that they sell diplexers for $2 and I thought that www.multidish.com had a great price at $4 per diplexer...

-Kilroy

Hey Hey
07-08-2002, 03:49 PM
I now have exactly the same problem, lightning hit and now "Insert your access card". System menu shows no access card inserted.

Did anyone find someone to fix this problem?

Thanks.

DarkWing
07-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Yes, send it in for repair to the folks mentioned above.

The IC that talks to the card socket is frapped.

donbadabon
07-08-2002, 11:17 PM
Is this the ATMEL 55882G AT90SC3232C 204 0034 chip? Listed as number 77 on the 9thtee Inside DirecTivo page?

Originally posted by DarkWing
The IC that talks to the card socket is frapped.

groovdadelic
12-03-2002, 02:53 AM
Sorry for bringing back an really old thread, but Im interested in this also, as my card reader seems to have stopped working.
I thought it would just be the connector itself, but I would assume the reader is just mechanics and if its making contact, its doing its job, so maybe something else....?

cruiser1one
08-17-2003, 10:34 AM

GREEK
08-17-2003, 03:53 PM
there are a couple of things that can be wrong not only the atmel cruiser is referring to. If you attempt a removal a solder iron is not good, spend 11 dollars at radio shack and get a DEsolder iron with a vacuum air bulb mounted on it for sucking the solder out. MOST repairs need a pro tool(hot air pencil) and irons usually are only good for soldering pins, not chips and such. The access card hit is usually serious, I have 2 currently that I've swapped with spare board parts and no go. They are pretty much parts machines, especially if the computer emulating is torched too. ALOT of the electronics are combined and the damage is extensive. You have to have a surge protector on a tivo with coaxial ins and outs, 2 sets uf your using 2 tuners. 22 bucks at walmart and it will save you most of the time. the best thing you can do is unplug you tivo during lightning storms, better safe than sorry. I have local guys who have lost tivos during this years high volume lightning storms and have had no problems with my 4 units all surged and coaxial protected. It isnt 100% but 99% better than nothing............

GREEK
08-17-2003, 11:50 PM
JMAN...... check your pm, its a fix for your problem..........

XtremeIT
08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Why not just have Sony fix it!
They fix out of warranty for $82 which includes return shipping.

They have fixed several SAT-T60's for me including bad tuners and competely dead units. They actually fix them and don't send a refurbished unit.

This is the link: http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.showservicers
Just enter the model number, SAT-T60, and your zip to request repair.

Call Truett Electronics first as they do not fix tuners or the more serious problems.

Good Luck...

nitrous
08-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Hi folks,

I have a fried Hughes motherboard (series I GXCEBOT) due to lightening strike. It is clearly out of warranty. Is it possible to get Sony to ship a MB without sending in a unit for out of warranty repair? IF yes, anyone know the cost?

If not, what about swapping out the bad GXCEBOT for a good one in the chassis of an SAT T60 and sending that off for the 82$ repair?

Anyone think of any other (easier) options? I gather Truett doesn't fix fried MB's.

Thanks,

N|trous

GREEK
08-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Even though the internals are identical, they will know its not a sony. No matter what software is on the Motherboard, the sys info will always show the boards manufacturer. Pluse they all use different chipsets accoridng to model and make date. They will easily know its a gxcebot. What makes you think the lightning hit board is toast? There are other companies out there that do tivos, not just truett and Sony. look around, I give estimates for free BTW, unless the board is knowingly shot OR not worth repairing. Motherboards are more than the cost of an ebay machine to buy outright from anyone. PartsSolver.com has refurb boards for 600+!!!

cali
08-25-2003, 06:31 PM
motherboards are 700+ thru sony .......

XtremeIT
08-26-2003, 08:46 AM
nitrous,

For the Hughes (series 1 GXCEBOT) repair try:
CCS Corp 800-354-3114
54 E Market Street
Spencer, IN 47460

Any TiVo repair is a flat $130.00.

nitrous
08-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks guy!

I had the name, but only the toll free number (which is of no use in Canada!).
Their website is ccscorporation.net and gives prices, common symptoms etc.

For $130 including return shipping, this appears to be a great solution to my problem. The Sony repair for $82 is a great deal. Great to have a solution for Sony, Hughes and Philips.

http://www.servicedvr.com (Phillips)
http://ccscorporation.net (Hughes)
http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.showcost (Sony)

I've included the websites for conveinience. I spent a lot of time trying to find a source for Hughes repair. Hopefully this will help people get the answer sooner! :)

Enjoy
n|trous

protodep
08-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by XtremeIT

They have fixed several SAT-T60's for me including bad tuners and competely dead units. They actually fix them and don't send a refurbished unit.

Did any of the units you sent in for repair have anything to suggest that they had been previously opened (i.e. a tampered "Warranty void if this seal is broken" label, upgraded and non-OEM hard drive(s), tivonet/turbonet/airnet network adatper or upgraded, non-OEM fan installed) outside of Sony? A friend of mine told me that Sony won't service a unit that was opened by anyone other than Sony, but he may be wrong. I'd call Sony and ask, but I understand they charge $25 just to speak to a technical support rep.

Call Truett Electronics first as they do not fix tuners or the more serious problems.

I'm confused by that last statement, since you initially suggested sending it to Sony and stated that Sony is able to fix tuners and Truett is not.

Thanks,
dep

protodep
10-01-2003, 03:42 AM

Has anyone gotten their SAT-T60 repaired by Sony recently? A friend of mine that works at a well known local audio and video design and installation shop recently told me that Sony is no longer supporting or repairing any of their DirecTV receivers, including the SAT-T60, except for the new SAT-HD200 DirecTV High Definition Satellite Receiver. He also mentioned that they recently sent a few SAT-T60s in to Sony for repair, credit card was charged, shortly after that the units were shipped back and the credit cards refunded.
Can anyone confirm or deny if Sony has stopped repairing SAT-T60s?

Regards,
dep