PDA

View Full Version : New 25Xtreme install

The Juice
06-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Im getting ready to try and install the 25xtreme image on my hd for the first time(im new to tivo) and from what ive read i want to block the new 2.5.2 update by editing the rc.sysinit file. do i need to do this before installing the HD into the ird or after? Im also going to be applying the upgrade patch by KRavEN if this makes a diffrence.

thanks
-Juice-

The Juice
06-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Well i put the 25xtreme image on my hd and all seems to have gone well. put the drives back in the unit and plugged it in....got the initial reboot and now its at "updating database this will take along time" been searching and searching buy havnt found any refrences for how long "along time" is. its been about a hour now just kinda curious how long this normally takes

BubbleLamp
06-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Let it keep running, an hour may not be enough time. Grab a six pack and wait.:D

The Juice
06-22-2002, 07:16 PM
going on 2 and 1/2 hours now.... starting to get impatient.

BubbleLamp
06-23-2002, 01:21 AM
It "usually" doesn't take that long, but I'd let it go some more. If you're sure it's not working, you can re-Xtreme and try again.

The Juice
06-23-2002, 08:24 AM
played with this all night tried basically everything i could find on this subject. i followed the steps with applying the image and all went well....when i put the drives back in the tivo unit i would get a quick reboot then it would come back up and take a tivo software update.....reboot and then hang (for hours) on updating database. Since none of the things i was trying seemed to work for me i decided to try and block this software update and commented out the update prom part in the rc.sysinit. after doing this the machine did a quick reboot and then came up and aquired satalite info and i got tv. looking at the system info its showing me at ver 2.0 i currently cant get a bash prompt but im guessing that the cable i made is just having issues (hopefully).

Im wondering if that tivo software update i was getting in the begining is normal or was that me taking the 2.5.2 and somehow that causing me to hang on install?

The Juice
06-24-2002, 07:32 PM
Ive had no luck getting a bash prompt and now i cant even get the unit to load up. i figured id move the drives back to my pc and try to do everything manually..... first thing i was trying to do is update the prom to 2.5..... the problem im having is everytime i try and execute getprom im getting the "cannot excute binary file".... ive tried the chmod +X and chmod 777 ..... not sure what im missing. Any help would be appreciated im pulling my hair out trying to get this going for the last few days and im not sure what i should be trying at this point.

The Juice
06-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Well i decided to wipe everything out and start fresh again.... i re-xtremed the drives all went well.... put the drives back into the unit i get a quick reboot...... then takes a software update then comes back to updating database "this will take a long time" and ive been there for about 10 hours now. Ive searched and searched threads for people that have had similar problems and so far the things that have worked for others havnt worked for me... changing jumpers...taking battery out etc..... Anyone have any idea on what may be causing this to hang here? and do you think i should have a bash prompt at this point?

Alittle background if this helps:
This is as phillips unit i got off of ebay... recieved it last thursday...hooked it up just to see that it appeared to be working...i saw that the guy canceled his service on june 9th and there were still recorded shows on the HD that i was able to watch it was at ver 2.5.2. It has a 30gig A drive and a 15 gig B drive in the unit (seems standard) the A was set to cable select and the B had no jumper on it at all(also seems standard).

any help is greatly appreciated

The Juice
06-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Anyone know where i can get a virgin image for a phillips dsr6000 30gig HD. i downloaded the one off of abs.net but apprently its too big.

snake8jake
11-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Here's an easy way out but will cost you about $100. Go out and buy 80GB drive and pull out your old drives. Xtreme your new drive and place it into Tivo. Touch it nicely and apply other upgrades/patches as desired. I basically have the same config and now I'm up and running. Whole process took less than 1 hr.

BubbleLamp
11-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by The Juice
Anyone know where i can get a virgin image for a phillips dsr6000 30gig HD. i downloaded the one off of abs.net but apprently its too big.

Maybe that's the problem. The unit would have had both a 30GB and 15GB drive, or a single 45GB (or something close). You can't install the images out there onto a single 30GB, it won't work.

zabs
11-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Yeah, juice, I have to go with BL on this one (as usual.) I have never seen Xtreme installed on a 30gig A drive. To the best of my knowledge the 25Xtreme image requires a 40 gig or larger A drive.

tungsten2k
12-03-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by zabs
Yeah, juice, I have to go with BL on this one (as usual.) I have never seen Xtreme installed on a 30gig A drive. To the best of my knowledge the 25Xtreme image requires a 40 gig or larger A drive.

uh, nope... uh, nope nope

I loaded the DSR6000 25Xtreme 1.0.0 on a 30GB Quantum just yesterday. This was originally drive A of a 35-hr factory 2-drive unit. Popped drive in, loaded Kraven patch over serial, rebooted, works just fine. The newest 2.5.2 Xtreme image (mfs format) off the pitou site is from a 40GB and will not work.

Only time I've ever had funky issues like Updating Database... forever is when I had a maxtor drive that was sensitive to the powersupply voltage problem. If it is a Maxtor drive, run the factory diags and adjust the ps voltage to just above spec.

The Juice
12-03-2002, 07:44 PM
Ive had that unit im my closet for afew months now.....i gave up messing around with it. I wound up getting a 120g HD and was still getting the same exact message... got frustrated and gave up on the unit for dead.

Ill have to find out how to adjust my PS voltage and give it another shot. thanks for the info