PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Replacements?

Venom
06-19-2002, 03:17 PM
Well, with all my tinkering, I finally fried a power supply (dont ask. ;))

Anyone know a number I can call to order a replacment one or otherwise get one for myself to replace?

As I'm in Canada, bringing it to an "authorized repair" facility is not an option.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated guys.

Hobby
06-19-2002, 03:50 PM
This is a quote from Bobster_r

I hope it helps - let me know what you find out.

Hobby

"power supply part number
The sony part number for the power supply for the sat t60 is 146855911

I haven't tried this but you might call up sony at 800-488-7669 and try and order using the part number. If they ask if you are an authorized dealer or something else you can tell them you do work for (____________ fill in blank of autorized dealer near you). afterhours and you need the part to finish this repair.

Give it a try and let me know if it works, the power supplies are ~$63. "

Venom
06-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Guess I should have mentioned this is a Philips DSR6000, which I know is the same inside as the Hughes GXCEBOT. Is it also the same as the sony?

Hobby
06-19-2002, 03:56 PM
I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone else does.

Venom
06-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Found some pics and specs. Looks identical both physically and operationally.

I ordered one just now from sony.

Thanks a LOT.

Hobby
06-19-2002, 04:31 PM
No problem. Let me know how it turns out - just curious.

2themax
06-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Venom,

When you called Sony, what did you tell them? Or did they even ask anything? I need a power supply too. It's on the edge of giving up.

Jeff

Gamer
06-21-2002, 01:46 AM
I'm extremely interested in your results. I picked up a DSR6000 recently that has the 'stop at 26%' satellite signal problem. The first unit I bought proved to have too flaky a powersupply to drive the two 120gb drives i want to use and I had hoped to transplant the powersupply from the signal impared unit (which powers both drives flawlessly), to my orignal unit.

Problem is when I tried, it refused to boot at all. All I got was a black screen, though I think I heard the drives click a bit. Worried I fried it, I put the original supply back and found the unit still worked. I put the supply I had transplanted back into the signal impaired unit and it worked. Assuming I had not properly connected it, I repeated the whole process and the swap was still a no go. I'm sure all the cables were properly seated each time.

My assumption at this point is that there may be different versions of the powersupply that may need to be mated to specific DTivo motherboard versions. The powersupply part# _may_ be 552-615T (at least that's the number above the text, revision A1 ). The unit with the signal problem has the same number on the powersupply (though revision B5).

I don't suppose anyone whose completed a powersupply swap has noted the revision numbers they've used? Not that this makes any difference at all. I'm just grasping at straws here.

HolyRoses
06-21-2002, 03:52 AM
I blew a power supply in my dsr6000 last night! Was going to this forum to do a search on it and saw this post right away. Swapped power supply from good dsr6000 and it worked right away. My power supply is making a clicking noise. Was going to call around and see if any local shops could fix it.

Venom how much did the power supply run you and did you have to make up any crazy stories? What exactly was the procedure?

-HR

HolyRoses
06-21-2002, 04:02 AM
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/

put in part number 146855911 click retrieve part info

Add to cart $62.

No fuss, no muss.

-HR

Venom
06-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Holy, yes that of course will work just fine. Nothing like on-line shopping.

My power supply was doing the clicking thing as well, I had an eet look at it and it's a small little part near the startup Capacitor. Unable to fix it since it's an unlabelled chip he believes.

I simply called up Sony, said "I need this part number" she said ..."Satellite Power Supply...that right?" I say "yes" she says Done. It was 62 dollars plus express shipping. They don't ship to Canada, so you'll have to know someone in the states to do a turnaround if you live up this way.

Haven't got it yet, but when it shows up, I'll post here as to the results, and as to what's in the package if it needs mentioning at all.

2themax
06-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Just ordered a power supply from Sony too. Let you know how it goes.

Jeff

r00g
06-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Before you go and order a new power supply for $62 plus shipping, make sure that it really is fried. The common clicking problem can usually be solved by simply resetting the white connecting ribbon between the psu and the motherboard. This has worked for me and many others who thought their units were fried.

Fabulous info otherwise here...

r

2themax
06-23-2002, 01:06 AM
I don't have a clicking problem at all. I have a problem with it not always starting up. Maybe one of 20 times it will start up. It's a pain in the ass. I thought the motherboard was fried, but it runs fine once it's on. The drives also check out fine. I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down.

Jeff

HolyRoses
06-23-2002, 03:16 PM
Mine clicks w/o even being plugged into the tivo. Just plug the power supply into the wall and it clicks.

-HR

tgun
06-26-2002, 02:06 PM
I just ordered 2. Thanks for the info.

HolyRoses
06-26-2002, 02:10 PM
My power supply still hasn't arrived. Will let you know when it does and the results.

-HR

RobK
06-27-2002, 02:49 PM
I ordered a PS from Sony on 6/15 online, got it today by USPS. Slapped it in my Hughes GXCEBOT, fired up perfectly.

Invoice shows it was shipped on 6/25, so it only took 2 days in transit.

Rob

TrapperKeeper
06-27-2002, 05:00 PM
So has anyone had any luck with a DSR6000? Mine got fried last night :(

Originally posted by Gamer
I'm extremely interested in your results. I picked up a DSR6000 recently that has the 'stop at 26%' satellite signal problem. The first unit I bought proved to have too flaky a powersupply to drive the two 120gb drives i want to use and I had hoped to transplant the powersupply from the signal impared unit (which powers both drives flawlessly), to my orignal unit.

Problem is when I tried, it refused to boot at all. All I got was a black screen, though I think I heard the drives click a bit. Worried I fried it, I put the original supply back and found the unit still worked. I put the supply I had transplanted back into the signal impaired unit and it worked. Assuming I had not properly connected it, I repeated the whole process and the swap was still a no go. I'm sure all the cables were properly seated each time.

My assumption at this point is that there may be different versions of the powersupply that may need to be mated to specific DTivo motherboard versions. The powersupply part# _may_ be 552-615T (at least that's the number above the text, revision A1 ). The unit with the signal problem has the same number on the powersupply (though revision B5).

I don't suppose anyone whose completed a powersupply swap has noted the revision numbers they've used? Not that this makes any difference at all. I'm just grasping at straws here. :(

T_RJ
06-27-2002, 07:16 PM
The power supply in the Philips, Hughes and the Sony are all the same.

cruiserman
06-27-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is pwr supply related, but my dsr6000 will boot to the point of "just one more momment please" and will then reboot. Sometimes it will reboot at the first boot message. I have a 160gb drive and the unit was working for 6 months before this problem. I tried the original drive (factory) and it seems worse, meaning it reboots before any messages appear. I tried tweeking the pot on the p/s and it didn't help. The voltages look good both 5v & 12v.

Any ideas?

Thanks

C

bobster_r
06-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Glad to see all of that information on the sony powersupply's was useful. My t60 with 2 120 gig drives hasn't skipped a beat since I Installed the new supply.

bobster_r

burnt_soul
08-01-2002, 01:42 PM
I have a SAT-T60 that won't get past the Welcome screen so I figured I would get a new power supply and see if that fixed the problem.

Unfortunately it appears that you can't buy the power supply online anymore; at least, not from the link given in this thread. Is there another place I could buy one?

Thanks

captain_video
08-01-2002, 03:32 PM
I also tried to order one on-line and got an indication that the part number was invalid or that it could not be ordered on-line. I just contacted Sony to see if I could order one over the phone. I gave the rep the part number and was told it was a valid number but that it is on back order. I was told that they would not have any more in stock for something like 60 days. I tried contacting Philips to see if I could get one through them but was told that they do not sell parts, only accessories. I haven't tried to contact Hughes yet but I may give them a shot when I get a chance. In case anyone's interested, the numbers for contacting tech support for Sony, Philips, and Hughes are all posted on the Tivo website under Customer Support.

setter
09-10-2003, 04:33 PM
r00g rocks. I have a dsr6000 that I never used before. I fired it up and all it would do was power up and power up again and again.... Thought I would have to purchase a new power supply which is no longer even available thru the link that was posted here but then I stopped to read r00g's post here from 06/23/2002. He said reset the white cable from power supply to motherboard. Not knowing what resetting is, I just jiggled it on the motherboard and made sure it was fastened in place and voila!! It just booted up ok and I am watching tv. Whatta man!