PDA

View Full Version : TyTool Alpha #5, a Client/server with internal VSplit...

Pages : [1] 2

jdiner
07-04-2002, 10:24 PM
Ok. I was asked by someone here on the forum to try and make it easier for people by starting the thread over with this new version. For those who are not familiar with TyTool and are wondering about this tool please see the "TyTool Alpha #1" thread... It is long but there is a lot of good information in there.

So here it is folks at long last... TyTool #5.

This version of TyTool DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY MUX'ING CODE!!!! it is in the same chain as the last 4 version. Splitting yes, downloading yes, but no mux'ing. That is in the works and coming but slowly...

So what is new in this release:

1- The * character has been added to the list of things to filter in file names. So that M*A*S*H can be extracted and others.

2- Fixed the networking once again. Somehow in moving things around the fixes in either #2 or #3 had gotten lost in #4. They are back in a new and improved form in #5. It now works 100% for me under XP and 2000. Hopefully it will for you as well.

3- Fixed the NoShowing.tcl scripts (this was already released seperately) to check and run correctly for 2.5 (DTivo) and 3.0 (SA Tivo). So no need to hack or edit the script. Just copy it over and bingo. You are running. This file was transfered in Binary mode so no more editing is needed like a past version...

4- A new version of the tserver_mfs is here. It is labelled at tserver_mfs5 to sync with the TyTool version number. It has a few new features in it. Just make sure you get it online with the new NowShowing.tcl script.

5- Added deleting to the tool. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS! There is no "are you sure" ***** check. If you hit it with 1 or more shows highlighted they are gone. Maybe I should have added the popup check... but I didn't. If you are going to fast and wipe out your shows, it is your own fault.

6- The "roll to a good name" is fixed. Thanks to the logging it had problems in #4. It is once again working correctly.

Thats it.

--jdiner

Wooly
07-04-2002, 10:56 PM
I copied over in Binary, did chmod 777 on the 2 files, yata yata yata - just like in the prior versions.

I did a mass delete of approximately 5 Farscapes - worked fine. Then, in the same session after it refreshed the NowShowing I did another mass delete - this time roughly 20 Farscapes. It completed the deletions, and in the telnet session it got to refreshing the Nowshowing, which it showed completed. The TyTool5.exe, however, crashed. I've attached a ZIP file which shows the capture from the Telnet session as well as the error information from WinXP.

Details:

DSR6000, running 2.5.1, stock kernel (not extremed).
WinXP Pro
TurboNet
noscramble

PM me if you need more info

jdiner
07-05-2002, 12:47 AM
Never seen anything like that. Hummm. Can't think why doing more would be a problem. Most I have ever deleted at one time I think was... 5. I don't normally do 20 of anything at a time on the Tivo.

Did they all get deleted?

As for why it would crash. It is possible that it had something to do with the automatic refresh of the play list. But I just call the same code that everything else uses.

--jdiner

SR712
07-05-2002, 01:05 AM
Hey JD.... thanks for all of your hard work and dedication. :D

jemenake
07-05-2002, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the upgrade. It now works with my WinXP box... woo, hoo!

Just a few suggestions:

1 - Could you allow the user to select the extension that goes on the ends of the files? BBMpeg recognizes ".mpa" files as mpeg-audio, but not "m2a", so I end up having to change the file type to "all files" and that makes it harder to pick the right file.

I guess this wouldn't be all that important if the muxing is right around the corner. If it's not, then it would be great to be able to set custom file extensions to what are now the m2v and m2a files.

2 - Could we have a little browse button in the "Local Dir" field, so that I could hunt around for where I want to stick the files.

3 - Lastly, when you get the muxing code working, is there any way you could let it mux the files that have already been split by earlier tytools? I've got a whole mess of shows that have already been split and it would be nice to be able to select them all and have TyTool mux them.

Of course, it would need to be able to read the A/V shift number from the txt file that the earlier tytool generated, but that's not that difficult (heck, you should be able to take your printf() format string and drop it right into scanf().

If this is too much bother, I could make a Perl script that could parse the txt files and run some command-line driven muxer. So, perhaps, when you have the muxing code done, you could also release a standalone muxer for use in batch/script processing.

Thanks for all of your work so far....

- Joe

Vinnie Dee
07-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Interesting...When I run tytool5 (this has also occured in tytool4) with VSplit it detects my box as a standalone tivo when, in fact, it is a Dtivo. I get the following message:

Detected Tivo Type: Standalone

Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II

Final standardAudioSize = 604

Final standardFrameLength = 0

Final standardAudioDiff = 6480 or 00:00:00.072

First Video PTS: 00:02:22.881

Error. We did not find an embedded audio header!

(this error continues until the extraction is done)

I get an audio file of 0 bytes. The funny thing is I've only seen this twice. It has only happen when I have tried to extract my StarTrek recording. When I do any other program it works fine. Any sugguestions to fix the problem? Thanks.

SR712
07-05-2002, 12:01 PM
JD- Hey bud. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but whenever I try to extract a M*A*S*H episode now in TyTool5, the proggy crashes.... with an "TyTools5.exe has encountered a problem and must close" error. I'm running in XP, and TyTool 5 has no problem extracting any other shows. Are you parsing show names, and just throwing out illegal windows file characters? Thanks again for all your help. Let me know if I can do anything for you. I'm here.... :D

SlipShod
07-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Hello and thanks for a great program. I was just wondering why there is some boxes in the upper right corner of the the video that comes out of this program. Not a complaint just wondering what it is. Thanks again for a great program.

jdiner
07-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by SlipShod
Hello and thanks for a great program. I was just wondering why there is some boxes in the upper right corner of the the video that comes out of this program. Not a complaint just wondering what it is. Thanks again for a great program.

You are probably using the Elecard playback codec to display the output. That is there "this is a shareware/freeware version" indicator.

Nothing in my code could or would put the little boxes there. Do a search here on the forum for Elecard and you will find more information on it.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by SR712
JD- Hey bud. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but whenever I try to extract a M*A*S*H episode now in TyTool5, the proggy crashes.... with an "TyTools5.exe has encountered a problem and must close" error. I'm running in XP, and TyTool 5 has no problem extracting any other shows. Are you parsing show names, and just throwing out illegal windows file characters? Thanks again for all your help. Let me know if I can do anything for you. I'm here.... :D

Crap. I tested the code but you never know. I am indeed parsing the names and stripping several bad filename characters. I will have to grab a few mash episodes and make sure. I am not removing the characters. Instead they become '-' characters. This way spacing is maintained etc...

--jdiner

jdiner
07-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Dee
Interesting...When I run tytool5 (this has also occured in tytool4) with VSplit it detects my box as a standalone tivo when, in fact, it is a Dtivo. I get the following message:

Detected Tivo Type: Standalone

Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II

Final standardAudioSize = 604

Final standardFrameLength = 0

Final standardAudioDiff = 6480 or 00:00:00.072

First Video PTS: 00:02:22.881

(this error continues until the extraction is done)

I get an audio file of 0 bytes. The funny thing is I've only seen this twice. It has only happen when I have tried to extract my StarTrek recording. When I do any other program it works fine. Any sugguestions to fix the problem? Thanks.

This is bad. Basically it means that the start of the file is not as expected. Please try grabbing it with a jump offset of say 10-20. and see what happens.

Further, if that does not work then try extracting it in TyStream mode, i.e. no splitting. Then grab the first 100 chunks off of the file using TyFileSplit, found elsewhere on this forum in the Alpha #1 thread, and let me know. I will tell you where to send it.

--jdiner

bronco13
07-05-2002, 01:19 PM
jdiner,

I've followed the previous posts regarding the issue with 0 bytes but can't seem to find anything in terms of a fix. Every time I extract a show (the simpsons, seinfeld, etc.) my two output files are 0 bytes. Is there anything I can do???

Thanks

PS. One feature request: Is there any way modify the title information (Name, Date, desc., etc) from the TyTool Client?

captain_video
07-05-2002, 01:58 PM
You need to make sure that scrambling is turned off BEFORE any programs are recorded. Shows are recorded on a DirecTivo in scrambled mode by default. If scrambling has not been deactivated, all extracted and split tystreams will show up as zero bytes. Refer to the How-To's for directions on turning off scrambling. Once you have turned it off you do not need to turn it back on again. However, if you have shows that were recorded prior to turning off scrambling, you will need to turn scrambling back on to watch them. Get some exercise in using the search button. This question has been posted and answered many times.

Vinnie Dee
07-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by jdiner

This is bad. Basically it means that the start of the file is not as expected. Please try grabbing it with a jump offset of say 10-20. and see what happens.

Further, if that does not work then try extracting it in TyStream mode, i.e. no splitting. Then grab the first 100 chunks off of the file using TyFileSplit, found elsewhere on this forum in the Alpha #1 thread, and let me know. I will tell you where to send it.

--jdiner

jdiner,

Setting the jump offset worked! Thanks a bunch. Thanks for this awesome program. If you still need the first 100 chunks for tyStream file let me know. I will send it to you.

WJBode
07-05-2002, 03:40 PM
JD,
I also had the problem where TyTool crashes after clicking the Delete button. I saw that my Tivo had recorded about 20 episodes of Saturday Night Live yesterday, so I selected a group of seven shows and clicked Delete. It deleted the shows, said it was refreshing the list, and then crashed & burned. Unfortunately, I didn't save the error message so this may not be much help. Here's my system info:

- Philips HDR-212 SA Tivo
- upgraded to two 40GB drives
- TivoNet adapter installed

- Computer
- Athlon XP 1600+
- 512 MB DDR RAM
- Windows 2000 SP2
- Extracting to a NTFS volume

Hope this info helps! TyTool is a superb program. Keep up the good work!

-- Wyatt Bode
http://www.AmnesiaGraphics.com

Wooly
07-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Yup, got deleted just fine - looks like the problem occurred when the NowShowing got sent to the TyTool5.exe - perhaps a bug crept in during repetitive refreshes of the NowShowing? I would suspect that before looking at a relationship between the # of deletions and a crash, as I can't see what the difference would be to the client how many got deleted - plus, it didn't crash during reporting deletions, but rather during the refresh of the NowShowing.

That being said, I bow to what you think, as you're the programmer. Checkout what I posted, you'll see what I mean (look at the Telnet capture vs. the program error report).

Never seen anything like that. Hummm. Can't think why doing more would be a problem. Most I have ever deleted at one time I think was... 5. I don't normally do 20 of anything at a time on the Tivo.

Did they all get deleted?

As for why it would crash. It is possible that it had something to do with the automatic refresh of the play list. But I just call the same code that everything else uses.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by bronco13
I've followed the previous posts regarding the issue with 0 bytes but can't seem to find anything in terms of a fix. Every time I extract a show (the simpsons, seinfeld, etc.) my two output files are 0 bytes. Is there anything I can do???

If it is every time then you do not have the noscramble patches running.

PS. One feature request: Is there any way modify the title information (Name, Date, desc., etc) from the TyTool Client?

No. Sorry. That is not what the tool is about. It is about downloading and extraction. There are already a ton of tools, TivoWeb being the most notable, that do that.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-05-2002, 09:03 PM
I will look at the delete problems. For now I guess just don't use it. There are other techniques although not quite as fast.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Ok. For those having problems with deleting things try this version.

BTW, for those keeping score this is once again an XP only bug.

--jdiner

Wooly
07-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Personally, I couldn't care less about the deletion problem - it's nice, but not necessary. What's MORE necessary (and where your programming skills shine, BTW) is in the efficient downloading, vspliting, and (soon, I dearly hope) muxing of the video. Deletion is something I could do from the Tivo itself, and also from TivoWeb v1.94b3, so if you ask me (which you aren't, but seeing as I'm a rude American snob) it's something that should be near the bottom of the priority list. Not that I don't appreciate your adding it.

I'll now extract my nose from your As*......unghhhhh....POP!

I will look at the delete problems. For now I guess just don't use it. There are other techniques although not quite as fast.

--jdiner

newlooper
07-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Ok here is my scenario. I would like to mention first that it has happened in all versions of TyTool.

I have the AC/DC free concert that I want to extract. I start the tool and refresh the list. I highlight the AC/DC and hit the GET button. It starts as normal but the the TyTool closes. It does not crash (no errors) it just closes. I played the AC/DC concert to make sure it was intact and it is. Are they getting smarter and adding something to the stream to close the tool?

wolkowh
07-06-2002, 12:34 PM
The "/' is a bad character for a filename, use EditTitle to change the program's name to "Brittany Concert" and it will extract perfectly.

Howard

jdiner
07-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Oh man. I never thought of the '/' character. Never saw it in any names. I will be in #5r3 sometime in the next few days.

--jdiner

SR712
07-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by wolkowh
use EditTitle to change the program's name.
Howard

And where is this EditTitle command that you speak of....? I am still having problems with the "*" character. Thanks. :)

SR712
07-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Oh man. I never thought of the '/' character. Never saw it in any names. I will be in #5r3 sometime in the next few days.

--jdiner

Hey JD- Why don't you run the showtitle through a parser and look for any of the illegal file name characters. That way you'd be all set, and never would have to worry about this issue again. They are...

/ \ : * ? " < > |

Thanks. Just thought I'd help....:D

wolkowh
07-06-2002, 01:25 PM
You can not use:

\ / | * ? < > or |

Howard

coloneljulius
07-06-2002, 10:34 PM
I am trying extraction for the first time. Here is what I am running:
DTivo:
T-60 w/ extreme and the update
no scramble kernel hack from the Alphawolf Enhancement
turbonet card

computer:
Athlon 850 w/ 768 mb ram
XP Pro

All hacks were done prior to any recording. When hitting the get button after selecting a program TyTool crashes and closes and the following is what shows in the telnet session. Several programs were chosen and none have non-alphanumeric characters.

bash-2.02# ./tserver_mfs5
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
Priority set...
Waiting for an incomming connection!
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTREAM 150496/150503'
-> '150496'
exporting fsid 150496 of size 536870912 to stdout
#1 failed to write to stdout

Any ideas?

Frogbutt
07-07-2002, 02:36 AM
ok im stumped :( I cant seem to get it to connect to my tivo. Iv got 2.5extreme with Kravens upgrade.

I put both the files tytool needed in a folder chmoded them to 777 and ran ./tserver_msf5 and get

Priority set...

I added the below to the rc.remote-login file as the Kraven upgrade instructions said to optain a static ip.

IW rc.remote-login Row 1 Col 1 5:17 Ctrl-K H for help

ifconfig net0 192.168.1.03 netmask 255.255.255.0
route.tivonet delete default 2> /dev/null
route.tivonet add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev net0

#!/bin/bash
echo "Starting Telnet"
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &.............................................................

I try connecting to 192.168.0.3 in the tytool app but just get

Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to '192.168.0.3'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

I cant see what iv left out casu its not working? Mabye someone can see what im doing wrong.

fredisdead
07-07-2002, 05:45 AM
If I remember my unix shell programming correctly, the code needs to be added AFTER the first line with the:

#!

which signals that this is a shell script....

that said, I also had a similar problem and wound up adding the ifconfig and route commands to the end of rc.sysinit and all worked fine....

newlooper
07-07-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks wolkowh that was it.

jdiner
07-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by SR712

Hey JD- Why don't you run the showtitle through a parser and look for any of the illegal file name characters. That way you'd be all set, and never would have to worry about this issue again. They are...

/ \ : * ? " < > |

Thanks. Just thought I'd help....:D

I do. I just didn't put the * in it. I had never seen it in any show names. R3 has been updated to have the full list.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Frogbutt

ifconfig net0 192.168.1.03 netmask 255.255.255.0

I try connecting to 192.168.0.3 in the tytool app but just get

Your tivo is on 192.168.1.3, with a route of 0.3 which won't work.

But your PC client tried to find it on 0.3 which also won't work. Make the all the same and it should work.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by coloneljulius
computer:
Athlon 850 w/ 768 mb ram
XP Pro

Any ideas?

Yeah. I feel like stopping supporting 2k or XP altogether...

--jdiner

Fugg
07-07-2002, 04:52 PM

--jdiner

no argument here!!!
...especially if it holds up the release of the holy muxer!!!
;)

Frogbutt
07-07-2002, 04:53 PM

Your tivo is on 192.168.1.3, with a route of 0.3 which won't work.

But your PC client tried to find it on 0.3 which also won't work. Make the all the same and it should work.

--jdiner

Fixed it and got

Priority set...

It connect for a sec and listed my shows in the Now playing area but then it lost the connection.

If i try to connect i just get
Connecting to '192.168.0.3 '
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

oh and on win2k so mabye thats the problem

Frogbutt
07-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by fredisdead
[B
that said, I also had a similar problem and wound up adding the ifconfig and route commands to the end of rc.sysinit and all worked fine.... [/B]

where at the end did you put it? Im gonna give it a try in the rc.sysinit since im having trouble still.

does it go at the very end like this

echo "rc.sysinit is complete"

exec < /dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3; bash --login

ifconfig net0 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
route.tivonet delete default 2> /dev/null

or does it need to be before somthing,

fredisdead
07-07-2002, 10:10 PM
My rc.sysinit has a line which has a reference to rc.author or something like that before the echo "is done" statement. I put the lines before that one....

jemenake
07-08-2002, 03:52 AM
Ok. For those having problems with deleting things try this version.

BTW, for those keeping score this is once again an XP only bug.

Okay... you're going to love this one....

I'm running on XP and TyTool5r2 *fails* to delete the shows while the original release *was* able to do it.

When rev2 fails, tserver always reports something about not being able to find tystream 8000000 or something. I don't know how many zeroes are at the end, but, for every show, it always had the same number... an "8" with a mess of "0"s after it.

Personally, I don't need this fixed because I can just use rev1, but I figured it might help you with some debugging...

- Joe

Frogbutt
07-08-2002, 04:54 AM
Thanks for everyone that helped me I finally got it working

kilroy
07-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Sony T60, 25xtreme (dual 100Gb drives), Turbonet, etc...

I'm running tserver_mfs5 with TyTool5r.
PC is running Windows 2000 Pro SP2

Like some of the other posts, I can't seem to delete any entries in the NowShowing using TyTool.

Not looking for or expecting a quick fix. I realize this is alpha software -- just posting my results for the author.

Also, not sure if launching the tserver_mfs5 should be supported from the rc.sysinit, or if it MUST be invoked manually via Bash? Each time I try to automatically start it, it doesn't seem to run. Perhaps I ma jumping the gun here, and once hte product is out of alpha/beta, this method will be supported?

Keep up the great work,
-Kilroy

PS. If you need any assistance on the Windows programming part, PM me.

captain_video
07-08-2002, 03:32 PM
The ReadMe file included with the TyTool app tells you how to set it up and run it. You must run the program manually each time you want to use it. Transfer the files to the /var/hack directory and do a chmod 777 on both the NowShowing.tcl and tserver_mfs5 files. Open up a telnet session using TeraTerm and navigate to the /var/hack directory (i.e. cd /var/hack). Execute the program using ./tserver_mfs5 + <enter> and you should get a message "Waiting for an incomming connection" (yes, the typo is also there but I figure jdiner is allowed). Now, open up TyTool5. Select the method of extraction from the pull-down menu and make sure your destination directory and IP address for the Tivo has been setup. Click on Refresh and wait for the NowShowing list to update. Select the programs you wish to extract and then select Get. Close out TyTool and end the Telnet session when you are done extracting the files. Now you can patch the header to 720X480 with DVDPatcher and use SpruceUp, DVDMaestro, or TMPGEnc to do with them what you will.

jdiner
07-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by jemenake

When rev2 fails, tserver always reports something about not being able to find tystream 8000000 or something. I don't know how many zeroes are at the end, but, for every show, it always had the same number... an "8" with a mess of "0"s after it.

Oh crap. Yeah. That was my test code. Somehow I left it in the release version. Darn it. I was doing that so I could try deleting in a loop without constantly wiping things off of my tivo and having to go put them back on. It will be back to working in R3.

--jdiner

Wes
07-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Fugg

no argument here!!!
...especially if it holds up the release of the holy muxer!!!
;)

hehe, I can't agree more. Forget supporting all different versions out there yet. We want the holy muxer. ;)

AlphaWolf
07-08-2002, 05:08 PM

--jdiner

Honestly I have always liked gosquads method; having a plugin to tivoweb and nothing special on the client side other than a simple web browser :cool:

jdiner
07-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf

Honestly I have always liked gosquads method; having a plugin to tivoweb and nothing special on the client side other than a simple web browser :cool:

Not me. But then I hate using web browsers. All different. All kinds of instabilities etc... But to be honest I begin to wonder if my solution in general is any better. It started as something just for me. And I released it before I really wanted to and look what happened...

--jdiner

AlphaWolf
07-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I hear the complaints about the browsers, some of them (especialy internet explorer IMO) are just plain messy. I guess just the thing with me is I am not always using the same PC, kind of a pain to have a client side app running on all of them, especialy when some are linux and some are windows.

captain_video
07-08-2002, 10:26 PM
But to be honest I begin to wonder if my solution in general is any better. It started as something just for me. And I released it before I really wanted to and look what happened...

Josh, how can you say that, man? Without your efforts, a lot of us would still be futzing around with TivoApp or some other such nonsense. I was totally unable to perform an extraction of any kind until you came out with TyTool. It's simple and clean and a snap to use. Kudos for all you've done. I rank your programs right up there with PGM and his SLE. Keep on truckin' dude!

Frogbutt
07-09-2002, 02:02 AM
what does the verbose level do?

jdiner
07-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Frogbutt
what does the verbose level do?

There is alot of work that goes on to split things. In the early days of my work on it I needed to know tons of things to make it work. At each verbose level the .txt file that is created get more and more data. At level 2 it produces about 8 million lines of text for an SA Tivo TyStream. At level 3 about 20 times that.

--jdiner

rd001
07-09-2002, 12:05 PM
First: jdiner is Da Man!

I don't care that much about putting TivoApp abilities into TyTool at this time. I want extraction and splitting and I want muxing. Anything else is a frill that should come later.

I would suggest that you might at some point consider splitting the development. We probably have a dozen coders here who could develop the TyTool GUI. But your work on splitting and muxing is pretty irreplacable.

Maybe you should get a partner or two to develop the GUI and just stick with your extraction/muxing for now. You could just release a code module for them to link to. I don't really want to see you release vsplit/muxing code soon because I don't want to see a bunch of incompatible versions of vsplit around.

I'd like these other TivoApp features but don't want them in a web interface. The less memory taken up on the Tivo, the better.

jdiner
07-09-2002, 01:32 PM
Ack. Found another file bug. TyTool #5 R3 is on it's way. I am just testing a few more things.

--jdiner

jakegrove
07-09-2002, 03:26 PM
jdiner

First, Thank you. I have never been able to get extraction to work with any other tool. At first I couldn't get this to work on my system either. But Tytool5 now works for me.

My system:

P3 duel 733
Win2000
LincSys router

One question: I extracted a half hour show. It took 10 hours. Because this is my first try, I don't know what is normal. I suspect it was a little slow, the way people here talk about extracting 20 hours of shows at a time. At my rate it would take 16 days to do that.

Is 10 hours normal for a half hour show?

Thanks, Jake

newlooper
07-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Is 10 hours normal for a half hour show?

Jakegrove,

my guess is that is way too long. with a 733 laptop, I can extract a 2 hour show in about 10-20 minutes. sounds as if you are having maybe some network congestion (if everything else is ok). Are you on a hub?

jdiner
07-09-2002, 03:48 PM
A 2 hour show in 10-20 minutes? Dang. How on earth did you get that fast. Best I do is a 1 hour show in 15 minutes on average from my DTivo and 42 minutes round about for a 1 hour show on my SA Tivo.

Both of these machines have a TurboNet card in them now.

NewLooper what if anything did you do to get that kind of speed? Also what was the output file size when all was said and done. it is possible it was a lower bitrate that made the difference but that is way outside my realm of experience.

I wonder if there is a new driver out...

--jdiner

AlphaWolf
07-09-2002, 04:41 PM
You know, in theory thats the speed you should get, if my math is correct.

Turbonet=22mbit, divide that by 8 and you have 2.75 megabytes per second max transfer speed.

Say a 2 hour movie is 2.5 gigs, or 2500 megs. 2500 divided by 2.75MB/s = 909.09 seconds, divide that by 60, and you have 15.15 minutes. There are a lot of variables in there to consider but thats the fastest it could possibly be. (well for 2.5 gig anyways)

jakegrove
07-09-2002, 05:35 PM
I never expected such a fast reply. I wasn't paying attention. :)

My system is pretty simple:

SA series 1 Phillips tivo -> TurboNET -> Lynksys 4 port router -> duel P3-733 Box

The Tivo is also running TivoWeb, and it was upgraded with an extra drive.

The LinkSys is also on my cable modem, and is providing DHCP

My comp is using 10/100 eathernet card.

TyTool was set at VSplit mode

I was browsing the web at the time, but i don't think that should have caused a problem.

I just checked: the file was 820m on the Tivo. On my comp it became two 520+meg files. Attached is the txt log that was produced.

Hope this helps, Jake

AlphaWolf
07-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Ah thats why then, you are using a standalone so you can reduce the image quality a lot to save on size. DTivo only has one compression size, max quality (actualy doesn't compress it at all, stores the origional directv videostream strait to the hard drive), so we are used to 2 hour movies being ~2 gigs.

jakegrove
07-09-2002, 07:00 PM
AlphaWolf

That was a half hour show @ 'Best Quality' = 820m on Tivo = 10 hours to extract.

If it's 2.75 megabytes per second max transfer speed, that file should take about 5 hours to extract.

I started it up again, this time with a one hour show @ best Quality' =1572m. At my rate it should be done in about 20 hours.

I've noticed something. When I run TyTool it is naturally on top of my desktop, as soon as go to another window (i.e. writing this message) the looping total stops. When I go back to it, it stays stuck where it stopped at. There is no activity on the Ethernet card. I've don this three time so far.

I wonder if that was why I was getting such bad times.

I believe there is a priority setting in Win2000 that makes front/top windows higher priority and back/bottom windows lower or nil priority.

Before I switched windows I was getting 36m per min. At that rate I should have extracted the 820m file in 22min.

I'm going to start it up again to see if can sustain the high speed if I leave it alone.

I'll post after this run with the results.

Jake

newlooper
07-09-2002, 07:09 PM
NewLooper what if anything did you do to get that kind of speed? Also what was the output file size when all was said and done. it is possible it was a lower bitrate that made the difference but that is way outside my realm of experience.

Ok I know I am going to screw up the order, but here goes.

DTiVo with TurboNet card

I have a linksys 1 port router with a seperate linksys 8 port SWITCH. Hubs suck! For those that are network challenged, hubs will only provide a half duplex network.

NT4 and 2000 require a registry hack to increase speed when using a hub. you can find it on microsofts website if you look for "slow networking".

All of the cards I use are 100Mb, full-duplex compliant. Some linksys especially ISA cards, even though they are 10/100 cards are not 100Mb, Full-duplex compliant.

A couple of interesting things about W2k and XP. Win2k and XP may not configure the NIC (Network Interface Card) for 100Mb Full-Duplex. You should always, under every circumstance, check that manually. with every OS

The output size was 2.55GB for the vid and 109MB for audio.

Hope this helps. If not let's look deeper.

jakegrove
07-09-2002, 08:05 PM
I just finished a 1.5gig extraction @ 45min

TyTool def needs to be on top and undistrubed. I'll def be running this at night when I'm done for the day.

newlooper

With Win2000 I've always had trouble getting my net card to say they are running full dup. What I mean is, they say thay are half/dup, but when I set it for full/dup the connection is broken.

Is this a case of the net card not being "full-duplex compliant"?

I believe my card is pretty generic, "Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based PCI Ethernet Adapter" I picked up a bunch of them for $5 a piece a few years ago.

Jake

AlphaWolf
07-09-2002, 08:30 PM
er, oops, was thinking that jakegroves post was from newlooper at first...guess I should read the posts more closely before responding.

I am actualy using pretty much the same setup as newlooper and the best I see is 1.5MByte/sec. Perhapse if you use mfs_export with highest priority you will get the full bandwidth of the tivo? (but remember that increasing the thread priority means slowing your video)

That said, jakegrove, you might want to make sure that your CPU resources aren't being consumed all the way. You should no doubt see slower speeds on a standalone than a directivo however, bearing in mind that the standalones have less memory and a slower CPU.

BubbleLamp
07-09-2002, 09:11 PM
Full duplex doesn't buy you much unless the traffic is completely bi-directional. I used to beat up the vendors all the time that tried to convince people FD is twice as fast, it ain't. That said, I do recommend switches over hubs because they are non-blocking.

Some hubs/NICs don't properly negotiate full-duplex, but that was mainly a problem some years ago.

If Josh's tool stops altogether when sent to the background, that's a problem. It should relinquish cycles, but not stop all together. JD?

newlooper
07-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Could not have said it better myself Alphawolf/BubbleLamp. I do suggest that for TCP communications, it will make better use of full duplex than a non-guaranteed transmission protocols

BD38
07-10-2002, 01:17 AM
For some reason I've never been able to get more than 2MB/min from TyTool. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out why w/o a solution. TivoApp gives me 90MB/min.

jemenake
07-10-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by BD38
For some reason I've never been able to get more than 2MB/min from TyTool. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out why w/o a solution. TivoApp gives me 90MB/min.

And I wish you the best of luck if your TiVo needs to start recording something while you're sucking 90MB/min from it.

TyTool purposely switches itself to the lowest priority level (actually, tserver is the thing that gets the low priority... but anyway...). Personally, I want to have as little impact on my TiVo's load as possible. If that takes longer, I don't care. I don't care HOW long it takes as long as I don't have to babysit the process. I just select about 10 shows, click "Get" and then I go watch a movie or go to work or go to bed.

- Joe

jdiner
07-10-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by BD38

What? That makes no sense... Hummm. I wish I had an answer for you. But I took a look at the nc code recently to see if they were doing something I am not. And they aren't.

So unless you are doing something else with it, then something is wrong in my code I just have no idea what. I am running about 65 meg/min with my installation.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-10-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp

If Josh's tool stops altogether when sent to the background, that's a problem. It should relinquish cycles, but not stop all together. JD?

Hehehe. STD DISCLAIMER: It doesn't do that for me. END STD DISCLAIMER.

What OS? What settings? I always run it minimized in the background when extracting, since I am compressing in the foreground using VirtualDub's idel priority setting. Takes about 5 minutes longer to compress and I still extract at full speed.

--jdiner

BD38
07-10-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by jemenake

And I wish you the best of luck if your TiVo needs to start recording something while you're sucking 90MB/min from it.

TyTool purposely switches itself to the lowest priority level (actually, tserver is the thing that gets the low priority... but anyway...). Personally, I want to have as little impact on my TiVo's load as possible. If that takes longer, I don't care. I don't care HOW long it takes as long as I don't have to babysit the process. I just select about 10 shows, click "Get" and then I go watch a movie or go to work or go to bed.

- Joe

I've got TivoApp using jdiner's mfs_stream_withpri1. No problem using the Dtivo while dl'ing.

Frogbutt
07-10-2002, 04:12 AM
What do yall use to edit out commercials without losing quality?

Fugg
07-10-2002, 04:15 AM
Tmpgenc's merge and cut under mpeg tools.

It cuts on gop frames, but it do workie!

Frogbutt
07-10-2002, 04:55 AM
Is it normal not to see the video in the preview window under mpger tools -- merge and edit. makes it hard to cut when you cant see what your cutting.

Wooly
07-10-2002, 09:46 AM
I run into this problem with TyTool also, but found an interesting thing - I have a file server, and if I start uploading files to the file server (anything, doesn't matter) the speed of TyTool shoots up to "normal" again. When I'm done uploading to the FS, the speed of TyTool goes down to turtle status again.

Normally, I would blame this on Windows XP's bloatware and poor networking, but I don't have this problem with TivoApp, so it has to be rooted in part with TyTool #5.

So you're not alone, and you're not crazy.

Originally posted by jakegrove
AlphaWolf

If it's 2.75 megabytes per second max transfer speed, that file should take about 5 hours to extract.

I started it up again, this time with a one hour show @ best Quality' =1572m. At my rate it should be done in about 20 hours.

Jake

newlooper
07-10-2002, 10:54 AM
jdliner,

I got to thinking about the TiVoapp and Tytool. Are you "acking" every packet you receive. If so maybe it would be quicker if you get several before "acking". That should increase speed significantly.

jdiner
07-10-2002, 12:42 PM
No packets, it is a simple single TCP stream. I have a standard server on the tivo. So I don't break it up into packets. It is written in 128k chunks but from there splitting and recombination is a feature of the tcp layer and my own "128k chunk" code in the client. So it is ack'ing when and as the TCP layer needs to/wants to.

Standard for the server being:

socket
bind
listen
accept
(pump data here)
close

Then on the client I do much the same thing.

socket
connect
select (to make sure there is something to read)
(pump data here)
close

I have recently tried replacing the select call with WSAEventSelect and WaitForMultipleObjects calls. And then a similar combination with more threads. Under 95/98 the above works perfectly. Select call and all. Under XP it is so wierd. I get to a point where the select just fails. So do the other 2 techniques. It doesn't matter how long I let it sit. i.e. what the timeout value is. It just fails and blocks for the full time out. Then if you check the socket at the end it at times has data, and at other times does not.

I did networking for a living at HP for over 6 years. I know what I am doing with all of this. At least with the BSD style of sockets. But I can't explain for the life of me what is going on with XP/2k. I can't believe the socket substructure, Winsock etc..., is that badly broken. Nothing else would run.

But do notice one and all that it is only people on these new versions of the OS that report any problems at all. I use it daily on 95/98 and I see no problems. No failures. No network issues at all. Unless the fact that I am a little slower than some is an issue.

So if there is a networking genius out there. Someone that does Windows style network development give me a shout. I will take all the help I can get right now.

--jdiner

v8q
07-10-2002, 01:07 PM
But do notice one and all that it is only people on these new versions of the OS that report any problems at all. I use it daily on 95/98 and I see no problems. No failures. No network issues at all. Unless the fact that I am a little slower than some is an issue.

--jdiner

Well - just to stir the pot a little...
Microsoft has a well known dislike for open standards that they do not make money off. They also have a well know habit of putting code in their OSs that will cripple whatever they don't like so their "improved" methods (which also just happen to be propritary) seem to work just fine.
It seems hard to believe they would be so brazen - but then again nothing ever happens to them even when they get caught red handed.
In this case maybe you are subtly being pushed into buying XP and the latest visual studio??

newlooper
07-10-2002, 03:17 PM
jdiner,

Trust me, I believe that you know what you are doing. I am just trying to figure what is going on. Sometime when you have some time (hee hee), maybe we can sort this out. I too, have no problems. I run ME and it all works flawlessly.

Like I said, when you have time...., I will send some sniffer software to you and we can take some snaps and see what we can see.

-newlooper

zqfmbg
07-10-2002, 05:06 PM
For what it's worth, FTP speed tests from a Linux box to my TiVo get about the same speed as tytool does.

I'm having loads of fun trying to get a stupid cross compiler chain made so I decided I'd try my own hand at a muxer first. Working for a company that specializes in MPEG decoder chips has its advantages :)

jdiner
07-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by v8q

In this case maybe you are subtly being pushed into buying XP and the latest visual studio??

Umm. I have the latest visual studio. I do after all do this for a living... :) Maybe it is compiler related. You never know... I have C++ Builder laying around here somewhere. Oh you know what. I still have watcom installed on this machine from way back when. I will try it with that and see if it is a VC++ issue or if it is an underlying dll issue.

--jdiner

SR712
07-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Hey JD-

Just a thought... is the compiler you are using a new enough version to include XP? Maybe there is a selection for the build that makes the executable XP compliant? Just a thought.

laserfan
07-11-2002, 04:50 PM
After a couple of extractions and simple muxes (using TMPGEnc) that were perfect, I've now had some out-of-sync ones. One where the extraction seemed particularly "clean" and yet the audio sync (for this music concert program) was quite bad. TyTool had reported "17ms early" and using bbMPEG I tried to adjust, first using 180-17 (in Audio area) then in increasing multiples until I got to 51ms (180 less 51 = 129) and it still looked "off". So I guessed at a tenth of a second, changed the offset from 180 to 80, and it's much better (though still not "dead on").

Anyway, fiddling with offsets on a 3gig file is very time-consuming, and while waiting for the mux to complete I wondered, since I think one of jdiner's posts said 14ms was as far off as he's ever seen a sync (or some such), whether some files might be SO OUT OF SYNC that the XXms calculation might be done wrong e.g. should TyTool have reported 117ms not 17ms.

Ideas? Honestly I've only done 2 extractions that were out-of-sync but in neither case did TyTool's reported ms offset do the trick; I had to greatly increase the offset...

laserfan
07-12-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by me
...I wondered...whether some files might be SO OUT OF SYNC that the XXms calculation might be done wrong e.g. should TyTool have reported 117ms not 17ms.Well, I tried what should perhaps have been an obvious setting given my suspicion i.e. I subtracted 170 from 180 in bbMPEG and the audio sync is dead-on perfect.

Did I stumble upon an issue w/TyTool's offset calc, or did I just misunderstand how to load the offset into bbMPEG?

In any case I'll continue to use 10x the offset TyTool reports until it stops working (I <rarely> argue with success!).

laserfan
07-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Guess I'm talking to myself here but I've gotten excited! Couple frustrating things and one revelation. My idea to "times10" the tytool offset doesn't always work. Also I ran into one other very bad sync problem related to editing. I've been intending to marry some 720x480 video to PCM or AC3, on the hunch that "DVD Spec" vid & aud would run on my generation one DVD player.

I found that if I de-mux an edited-and-perfectly-synced mpg stream, convert the audio file to AC3, and then mux it back again, that at each of the edits the program loses more sync until it is unintelligible. My next idea is to convert the m2a file right out of tytool (to wav then ac3), mux and *then* cut, with the AC3 in the program stream.

Before I got that far, in playing w/SpruceUp and getting frustrated that it doesn't like most of my files, as I was looking for a file it DID like I imported an "original" 720x480 m2v file, AND IT AUTOMATICALLY GRABBED MY COMPANION AC3 FILE ALONG WITH IT! In other words, I had converted the m2a to wav then ac3, and I assume because I left the filename the same as the m2v SpruceUp found it and incorporated it. I just started w/SpruceUp but didn't see this in the manual anywhere--do others know about this? I made a quick menu and burned to DVD-RW, and was surprised to see it play beautifully on my gen1 Sony (the DVP-S7000 is not supposed to play DVD-R or RW--it does!). An hourlong music program where the slightest sync problem is intolerable--looked/sounded great.

Anyway I still have to figure out how to edit the files, but right now what works is:

- Grab & vsplit a 720x480 recording using TyTool
- Use dBpowerAMP Music Converter to convert the m2a to wav
- Use SoftEncode to convert the wav to .ac3 (save as same filename)
- Import the m2v file into SpruceUp, the ac3 "comes along"
- Insert a disc and click "Write"; a "standard format" DVD!!!!

Pretty slick, but how to edit this easily and retain audio sync?

zqfmbg
07-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Find a good editor. :D

In all seriousness -- it should not be impossible to arbitrarily edit a file. The editor may have to create I-frames where none existed before, but it should be okay. I'm quite surprised at all the problems with muxing; I've always felt it's a simple operation, but hey :)

chimera
07-14-2002, 02:02 AM
Anyway I still have to figure out how to edit the files, but right now what works is:

- Grab & vsplit a 720x480 recording using TyTool
- Use dBpowerAMP Music Converter to convert the m2a to wav
- Use SoftEncode to convert the wav to .ac3 (save as same filename)
- Import the m2v file into SpruceUp, the ac3 "comes along"
- Insert a disc and click "Write"; a "standard format" DVD!!!!

Pretty slick, but how to edit this easily and retain audio sync?

You can skip the step to convert from m2a to wav, just rename the .m2a file to .ac3, and import into softencode using "decode to pcm". Once it's in, you can code to .ac3.

Maestro complains about the timestamps I put in using Softencode don't match the video timestamps. Therefore Maestro can't sync up the audio just right. I have to do it manually (change the audio start time) which is a real pain. Anyway have a different way to sync up audio in Maestro?

laserfan
07-14-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by chimera
You can skip the step to convert from m2a to wav, just rename the .m2a file to .ac3, and import into softencode...Wow, great, thanks chimera. BTW I tried the "include time stamp" setting of SoftEncode once and it sure hosed the sync big-time on the resulting mux'ed file. Did not try it w/SpruceUp.

As this is jdiner's TyTool thread, I guess I should try to make my digressions relevant by indicating:

1. Some of us are trying to make DVD-standards files & need always to convert at least the audio streams somehow, and still remain in sync.

2. If you Josh will eventually auto-mux the files, if you gain from this the knowledge/insight to advise us (me!) on the issues of de-muxing and re-muxing the resultant files please do so. Check's in the mail...

I've been real close to abandoning the whole idea that Tivo file extraction is worth the effort, but after my successful DVD burn last night, which was relatively painless, "I got a new attitude"!

JoeRod
07-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Everything seems to work well untill the extraction part. I get as far as this.

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTREAM 68190/68369/68371'
-> '68190'
exporting fsid 68190 of size 536870912 to stdout
-> '68369'
exporting fsid 68369 of size 310378496 to stdout
-> '68371'
exporting fsid 68371 of size 38797312 to stdout

after this it sends me an error.

Anyone know what I can do??

Attached is the error I get.

laserfan
07-17-2002, 12:32 AM
You can skip the step to convert from m2a to wav, just rename the .m2a file to .ac3, and import into softencode using "decode to pcm". Once it's in, you can code to .ac3...Chimera I tried it and she's a no work; stops immediately w/invalid Frame 1 or something.

My m2a is from an SA Tivo (32000Hz sample rate mpeg-1 layer 2). Maybe this is only for DTivo? I realize I'm in a DTivo thread here, but, this is the hotbed of TyTool action also...

Is there some magical incantation I have to utter at the same time?

lmurray
07-17-2002, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for tytool. It rocks!

A suggestion on muxing. I've been using mplex from the mjpegtools package for muxing streams together. I've been doing this on Linux for a few months, and recently compiled mplex for windows. Anyway, can this core mplex code be sucked into tytool?

Think its worth a look.
The mplex code can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mjpeg/

Thanks
-lloyd-

chimera
07-17-2002, 08:39 PM
My m2a is from an SA Tivo (32000Hz sample rate mpeg-1 layer 2). Maybe this is only for DTivo? I realize I'm in a DTivo thread here, but, this is the hotbed of TyTool action also...

:( Oh, I guess I should pay attention to what system you have. Sorry about that, I was trying to save you a step.

skorous
07-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Hi Lloyd,

I'm not speaking for JD, but I"ve got a couple of clues that might help. I've heard him mention a couple of times that he's writing all of this himself so he doesn't inherit wierd issues from other code. He's also trying to guarantee that he's going to get 100% "according to Hoyle" MPEG streams so they'll be able to be imported in to just about any editor.

Well, and he does do this for a living so I tend to trust him.... :-)

Skorous

JoeRod
07-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Anyone know why I would be getting this error.

failed to write to stdout..

Please help, I'm so close but I can get anything off my tivo..

sendero
07-20-2002, 04:40 PM
When I saw this, it was because TyTool running on my PC had an invalid local directory. I had it set to "D:\TivoExt", but that directory did not exist on my machine. Double check that and see if it fixes it.

newlooper
07-22-2002, 03:25 PM
Anyone heard from jdiner?

ursa99
07-22-2002, 09:10 PM
When I delete single or multiple shows, TyTool5 deletes the shows then closes. Is this normal? Anyone else seeing this?

Extraction and all else seems fine. I'm running XP pro and have an Xtreme25 box with Kravens update on it.

rd001
07-23-2002, 08:38 AM
You can skip the step to convert from m2a to wav, just rename the .m2a file to .ac3, and import into softencode using "decode to pcm". Once it's in, you can code to .ac3.

Maestro complains about the timestamps I put in using Softencode don't match the video timestamps. Therefore Maestro can't sync up the audio just right. I have to do it manually (change the audio start time) which is a real pain. Anyway have a different way to sync up audio in Maestro?
How do you change the audio start time in Maestro? I've been trying to do this. Just dragging the audio track to a new position on the timeline doesn't change the Offset in the Properties for the M2A track.

captain_video
07-23-2002, 08:52 AM
When I delete single or multiple shows, TyTool5 deletes the shows then closes. Is this normal? Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I see it all the time. I believe there was another post about this. It shouldn't be anything to worry about and is apparently normal behavior. It doesn't happen every time but I'd say probably 3 out of 4 times I select a program for deletion.

Tha_mailman
07-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Hey guys if I am missing something here please let me know...

When ever I refresh using TyTool I get the following:

Reading list from the server...
Connecting to '192.168.0.4'
Connected...
Getting NowShowing data...
Total Size = 685kbytes in 1.813000 seconds...
Unknown tag <166>
tag data <l 25 02:18:31 tcl[329]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes>

I can get the streams off of there with no prob, but when I try and delete on I get:

Connected...
Deleting 'Ripley's Believe It or Not!'... Done.
Connected...
Total Size = 685kbytes in 1.613000 seconds...
Unknown tag <166>
tag data <l 25 02:20:33 tcl[331]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes>

And the show is still on there...

If i use the mfs_stream web module it deletes fine.

If it helps I attached a screen shot.

captain_video
07-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Are you using the latest version of TyTool? You need to make sure the latest version of NowShowing.tcl has been uploaded to the Tivo for the delete feature to function properly. The DELETE button will show up in the UI window if you're using the TyTool5.exe file but it also needs the newer companion files on the Tivo to work correctly.

Tha_mailman
07-25-2002, 04:48 PM
I should have exerimented a little before posting previously...

NowShowing.tcl is the right version. My problem it turns out is with TyTool5r2. TyTool5 works like a charm. I didn't mind using mfsstream to delete I just wanted to pass my findings along.

jdiner
07-26-2002, 09:35 AM
I live... but barely.

Work suddenly ramped up to taking 14+ hours a day from me. I had to slow down and the for the moment pretty much drop the Tivo stuff I was doing. I do need to sleep you know.

I still have plans to get back to things. I really do. :) I just need to get some time again.

There have been people asking about the mux'ing and that is fine. I don't mind questions just be patient as I try to get the answers back out.

A question I have gotten tons of times is "why not use someone else's muxing code". The reason for that is this. We have timestamp information in the TyStream from the tivo. To get to what other programs mux, we have to remove it. In fact we have to remove all of it. What I am doing is making a mux'er that uses it so the small little skips in audio or video that we get will work seemlessly.

I am almost there. I have been almost there for a long long time. I am just running out of time badly. It won't always be this way. It won't be this way for long. But for right now... I am burning the candle at both ends.

I do promise that as soon as I get some time I will get the latest versions out the door. I have the next release pretty much ready to go I just have not had time to test anything in it.

--jdiner

laserfan
07-26-2002, 09:43 AM
jdiner, I hope that most people here have other options (I feel I do, e.g. direct-to-SpruceUp/DVD, bbMPEG, TMPGEnc, et. al.) including enjoying [what in my case is a very brief] summer, so I say.... Don't Sweat It.

When you're done I'm sure it will be Good and that many/most of us will be deliriously Happy, especially as we will have gotten something very valuable for Nothing because of your hard work and Philanthropy. Thanks! :cool:

rd001
07-27-2002, 11:02 AM
I am almost there. I have been almost there for a long long time. I am just running out of time badly. It won't always be this way. It won't be this way for long. But for right now... I am burning the candle at both ends.

You've already done so much for us, only an ingrate would make the smallest complaint. You do have a real life and a family to support.

But I'm still drooling over your final muxing code. And in the meantime, burning plenty of satisfactory DVD's even if not the perfected streams which your new code will make possible.

I can wait, content in anticipation of your final software.

bbarry
07-30-2002, 02:42 PM
TyTool worked great but when I view the m2v in Windows Media Player the video is very dark. Is there any way to correct this? I'm using a sa with 3.0.

smokeman
07-31-2002, 06:39 PM
jdiner,
I know you are a linux guy...
any chance you have a linux client for your tytool tivo server?
I try to stay away from windows as much as possible.
Tytool is a great peice of work!

smokeman
07-31-2002, 06:50 PM
I know some people have been having problems with muxing streams together, and I wanted to report my success with tytool->.m2a/m2v->mplex from (mjpegtools on linux)

I have set out to break the mold....
I am trying to go linux all the way with my extracted videos....(other than using tytool in windows in the first place)
I got the .m2a, and .m2v files, which xine(a linux video/audio player) played both seperately right away...

I rigged a script to launch 2 xine players starting at the same time...
playing the .m2a, and .m2v....
and this gave me great respect for the work jdiner has done....
they were perfectly in sync. dead on!!!

so, I tried tcmplex, which comes with transcode(the linux video swiss pocket knife...pretty much does everything)
and, it muxed the files together, and the first few mins of video, and audio were in sync....but then they jumped off dramatically....

so, I tried mplex from mjpegtools, and it worked perfectly....I can't notice audio, and video being off...

I am now encoding the resultant .mpg file into divx, and next, I will make svcd's...

then, I will dive into taking the original .mpg file, and making a dvd+rw, and see if it will play in any of my dvd drives/players...
and finally, I will use transcode to make my 480x480 video 720x480, so it is compatable with as many players as possible.

I will keep posting my results...but I intend to use linux all the way.

smokeman

chimera
07-31-2002, 08:08 PM
I will keep posting my results...but I intend to use linux all the way.

I'm eager to watch your results. The more I can do in Linux the better!

zootie
08-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Media Player (7.0 up, not sure about 6.4) has brightness controls. Check in "View\Now Playing Tools\Video Settings" (might need o be using the standard full mode skin for the controls to show up). Other players also have adjustment controls (like the tab key in ATI's MMC).

lmurray
08-01-2002, 09:56 AM
a java version of tytool would solve the operating system problem. That way the mac people and linux guys would be happy. (And of course, it would run on windows)

If the source code for the client was made public, I'd take a look at a java client.

I have a feeling all the magic is done in server portion.

-lloyd-

Pr.Sinister
08-05-2002, 05:21 PM
I think this thread should never be out of the 1st page
of the forum! :)

jdiner
08-06-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by lmurray
a java version of tytool would solve the operating system problem. That way the mac people and linux guys would be happy. (And of course, it would run on windows)

If the source code for the client was made public, I'd take a look at a java client.

I have a feeling all the magic is done in server portion.

I have been giving a lot of thought to this as well. I have had a few people offer to do the GUI for me. I have just had no time to work on anything reguarding the tivo lately. However the nature of the beast is massively cpu intensive. And with Java being interpretted I think that it could really really really really slow things down to run it that way.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-06-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by smokeman
jdiner,
I know you are a linux guy...
any chance you have a linux client for your tytool tivo server?
I try to stay away from windows as much as possible.
Tytool is a great peice of work!

Ummm. About half of one. I planned to do more but I ran way out of time. I have had some offers from others to do it. But I have not had time to really talk with anyone about it in detail. I am just here at work waiting for something to copy over the network so I took a moment to look at all of this.

--jdiner

bato
08-12-2002, 05:40 PM
I just started using this tool and is great, thanks.

I have a problem with all recordings that are saved with secondary audio option enable. When I try to get the show I get hundreds of OOB errors, TyTool say it finished XXXMB but in my hard drive only less than 3MB. Any show that is recorded with primary audio I can get ok, even if the show is from the same channel but recorded with primary audio then all goes great.

Any way I can help to fix this? Thanks.

bato
08-13-2002, 11:19 AM
If I change to TyStream mode then the file transfer ok to my computer (all MB 500-600), then when I Process File then all errors shows and onlye a 1.6MB file is written.

Thanks.

AlphaWolf
08-15-2002, 03:04 PM
jdiner: I hate to cross examine here, but throwing out the first chunk of a tystream during the extraction process is probably a bad idea:

http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=15&start=0&rid=23&S=1c3b9bf76e23317ac22a2a5d74c62ad1

smokeman
08-16-2002, 09:58 AM
I had someone from the transcode mailing list reply back to me on why my audi/video was out of sync....even when my mux'ed together file was perfectly in sync.

The audio was like 9 seconds longer than the video....
I guess transcode, instead of starting them both at the same time, takes every second, and sync's it with the video, and the fact that the audio is 9 secs too long threw it off...

laserfan
08-16-2002, 12:01 PM
smokeman you said before that:
...I tried tcmplex, which comes with transcode...and it muxed the files together, and the first few mins of video, and audio were in sync....but then they jumped off dramatically....

so, I tried mplex from mjpegtools, and it worked perfectly....I can't notice audio, and video being off...I'd understood from this that mplex works for you, so why use tcmplex (transcode) at all? I guess I will research these separately but your two posts have confused me and I hope you can elaborate.

I'm not anxious to set-up a Linux box to help w/extraction, but in the absence of jdiner getting his muxing code out-the-door I'm trying to find something that works better than bbMPEG for muxing w/audio offset.

smokeman
08-16-2002, 01:28 PM
mplex is for getting the 2 files, into one mpg file....
and it works for getting one file, perfectly in sync....
then, you have to do something with it....
put it on VCD, or encode to divx...

This is where transcode comes in...
and what I said about the audio being a bit longer...
this is probably why tcmplex made the mpg file out of sync as well...

It wasn't until I tried to encode to divx, that the audio, and video was out of sync again....
I would have thought, once I got them into a single mpg file, that they would have stayed in sync...

jdiner....
can you check your extraction code, and see if there is a way to make sure the 2 files end up being exactly the same length(time length that is)?

bato
08-20-2002, 12:30 PM
I just recorded a show half in primary audio and half in secondary audio. File size is 820MB (as shown by Tytool). I get the show and the first 450MB write ok but just when I switched to secondary audio I get a lot of OOB errors and nothing then is added to the file, so the 450MB is the part with primary audio and the secondary audio is lost.

It will help if I include the .txt file that show the errors?

Thanks.

jdiner
08-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
jdiner: I hate to cross examine here, but throwing out the first chunk of a tystream during the extraction process is probably a bad idea:

http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=15&start=0&rid=23&S=1c3b9bf76e23317ac22a2a5d74c62ad1

They are not arbitrarily dumped. They are checked to see what is really going. And then skipped if they contain no usefull starting data.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by bato
I just recorded a show half in primary audio and half in secondary audio. File size is 820MB (as shown by Tytool). I get the show and the first 450MB write ok but just when I switched to secondary audio I get a lot of OOB errors and nothing then is added to the file, so the 450MB is the part with primary audio and the secondary audio is lost.

It will help if I include the .txt file that show the errors?

Thanks.

Umm. You are gonna have to explain primary and secondary audio to me? The terms means nothing to me. I also no of no way to switch audio modes in the middle of recording. The Tivo does automatically at some points when using Dolby audio but beyond that I know of nothing.

--jdiner

bato
08-23-2002, 02:00 PM

Umm. You are gonna have to explain primary and secondary audio to me? The terms means nothing to me. I also no of no way to switch audio modes in the middle of recording. The Tivo does automatically at some points when using Dolby audio but beyond that I know of nothing.

--jdiner

Thank your for reading, I'll try to explain better. I have a DTiVo unit when I go to a channel that I can change audio to Spanish (Toon disney, Cartoon Network, PPV, HBO, etc.) it show an option to change the audio you press "display" button and down arrow just below the second tuner some yellow icon shows, you select there and change to secondary audio (Spanish) and then the audio is changed to Spanish and recorded that way.

I beleive you can also change the preference for audio Spanish in some menu and then all shows that have a secondary audio will be recorded that way.

I beleive the icon changes when the movie have Dolby Digital and you change for normal audio to dolby digital, this is the same in other channels from normal audio and secondary.

Thanks.

IndieRockSteve
08-23-2002, 02:07 PM
jdiner-
I'm trying to get the Tytools app to run in linux under Wine, but when i load it up, the font is wrong. I was wondering what font you selected to use for the buttons, etc. Or if you could change the font being used to the standard font windows uses?

thanks!
(now what we really need is a native QT interface for tytools on linux... I just wish I new how to program =)

jdiner
08-23-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
I'm trying to get the Tytools app to run in linux under Wine, but when i load it up, the font is wrong. I was wondering what font you selected to use for the buttons, etc. Or if you could change the font being used to the standard font windows uses?

thanks!
(now what we really need is a native QT interface for tytools on linux... I just wish I new how to program =)

I have been planning to work with a unix dev guy for the GUI. The code itself has and will continue to cross compile just fine.

As for the font it is the standard system one. I make no changes to it at all. Everything is purposefully a standard Win32 control.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-23-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by bato

Thank your for reading, I'll try to explain better. I have a DTiVo unit when I go to a channel that I can change audio to Spanish (Toon disney, Cartoon Network, PPV, HBO, etc.) it show an option to change the audio you press "display" button and down arrow just below the second tuner some yellow icon shows, you select there and change to secondary audio (Spanish) and then the audio is changed to Spanish and recorded that way.

I beleive you can also change the preference for audio Spanish in some menu and then all shows that have a secondary audio will be recorded that way.

You changed what it was recording in the middle and you are surprised that things get out of sequence? All I can say to that is "well... duh!"

I am sorry. But the process is based on figuring out where start and keeping everything in it that is correct and in sequence. When you change audio there will be a gap. Further the DTivo does not "record" like the SATivo does. So the timestamps and how they line up are based on the signal from DTV. I would have been amazed if it lined up with the other audio track, rather than having it be out. All it has to do is be off by 1ms, which would be rediculously accruate, and it still would not be close enough.

It works like:

Audio1 == 1ms --- Audio2 == 33ms --- Audio3 == 65ms

If you lose a chunk you get this...

Audio4 == 97 -------- Audio6 == 161ms.

How do you tell if it is in line and in sync? Because even though the gap is too large. The step value is correct. 161 - 97 divided by 2 is still 32ms for the step.

When you change audio types you get off. i.e.

Audio 7 = 200... A change of 39ms. Even if everything from there is right at 32ms each step it is "wrong" because it no longer lines up.

--jdiner

smokeman
08-23-2002, 03:09 PM
Any clues on that...
That is why transcode gets out of sync on doing anything with resultant video files...

bato
08-23-2002, 03:13 PM

You changed what it was recording in the middle and you are surprised that things get out of sequence? All I can say to that is "well... duh!"

I am sorry. But the process is based on figuring out where start and keeping everything in it that is correct and in sequence. When you change audio there will be a gap. Further the DTivo does not "record" like the SATivo does. So the timestamps and how they line up are based on the signal from DTV. I would have been amazed if it lined up with the other audio track, rather than having it be out. All it has to do is be off by 1ms, which would be rediculously accruate, and it still would not be close enough.

It works like:

Audio1 == 1ms --- Audio2 == 33ms --- Audio3 == 65ms

If you lose a chunk you get this...

Audio4 == 97 -------- Audio6 == 161ms.

How do you tell if it is in line and in sync? Because even though the gap is too large. The step value is correct. 161 - 97 divided by 2 is still 32ms for the step.

When you change audio types you get off. i.e.

Audio 7 = 200... A change of 39ms. Even if everything from there is right at 32ms each step it is "wrong" because it no longer lines up.

--jdiner

Thanks, that was just one of my test, I think other shows were recorded without changing to Spanish not even a second later in the show, but I'll try this, please tell me if this is ok:
- select Toon Disney
- change to Spanish (secondary audio)
- let it run for 1 hour (so all buffer is in spanish)
- record a show (without changing to/from spanish)
- tytool the show and look for errors

after this if no errors I guess all my shows were changed from normal audio to secondary in the middle of the recording. Doh!

If I record this 99.9% shows in secondary audio to a SA then I can extract without problems right?

Thanks again, and I'll be posting back tonight.

EDIT: the check is done since the first frame in the stream, even if I only want to extract 5 min after? With this information I can try to get the show after the change, cause I have a couple that changed channel, then audio (no more than 15 sec), but then again maybe this is not possible.

Ellipse
09-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Ok, this should be a easy request. Maybe even already done, just not documented.

Could you document a way to make a change to the rc.sysinit to have the TiVo side of this tool lauch upon startup? I am sure I could figure it out, but for those that are not as Linux savy....

Ellipse
09-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Whoops....rapid fire finger today...

newlooper
09-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Ellipse,

Put both of the files NowShowing.tcl and tserver_mfs in the var/tmp directory on the DTivo and then add the

sleep 300
exec /var/tmp/tserver_mfs > /dev/null &

lines at the end of the rc.sysinit

I put the sleep in there to make sure the TiVo settles down a bit before starting this service.

rd001
09-11-2002, 09:12 AM
I'm sure many of us got tired of the manual startup for the tserver on the DTivo.

I didn't like consuming any CPU cycles or memory on the DTivo side so I looked at using TeraTerm's macro features.

In my TeraTerm Pro directory, I added the following line in the appropriate section to TERATERM.INI:

; Startup macro
StartupMacro=TYTOOL.TTL

Then I created a text file named TYTOOL.TTL in the TeraTerm directory on the PC with the following contents:

connect "192.168.1.100"
wait 'bash-2.02#'
sendln 'cd /ty'
wait 'bash-2.02#'
sendln './tserver_mfs3'

Keep in mind that my DTivo directory for storing the Tytool server scripts is named '/ty' (a directory named 'ty' in the root of the filesystem) and my IP address is 192.168.1.100 and you will probably have to change those.

The upshot of all this is that I just launch TeraTerm on the PC and the terminal window appears with the DTivo server, all ready to run. Then I run Tytool on the PC side and when I get done, I just close TeraTerm. No resources or scripting involved on the DTivo side and you can still see the tserver error messages if needed.

This solution might be preferable for many DTivoids over that of more scripting at the expense of memory and CPU cycles.

laserfan
09-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by rd001
...I looked at using TeraTerm's macro features...VERY NICE! I've been using TeraTerm for a while but didn't know about/never thought to use macros with it. Thanks!

jdiner
09-11-2002, 01:01 PM
I am glad someone came up with a way of doing it. I have had a number of people ask me for that. I have left it alone because as I test I commonly need to restart the server for new versions etc... And bottom line, it doesn't bother me at all. I watch the text output from it all the time to see what is going on. This fits into the catagory of "to each their own".

--jdiner

CyberMop
09-12-2002, 09:51 PM
BUG in TYTOOL5

I searched for this, but did not come up with any results... But then again, it's hard to search for this problem..

TYTOOL5 keeps crashing on me... There is only 1 show what I could not extract all other would work fine... I finaly see what the problem is...

I was trying to extract "9/11"... Well in the windows world you can not have a file with a "/" in it... I think thats the cause...

I was going to rename it in TivoWeb, but I keep getting a database error, so thats a whole new problem....

Anyways, there should be something in TYTOOL to tel it to convert a "/" to something else.... Thanks for all the hard work you are doing on this..

Thanks!

dlang
09-13-2002, 01:04 AM
There are a number of characters that have special meanings as filenames, and they do differ slightly from OS to OS.

there's usually a way to use them anyway if you are determined enough.

I recently had a file I had to dealwith who's filename was a single carrige return character, try putting that into your GUI (I was working at a command line, but it was still an interesting job to figure out what the file was called so that I could look inside it and make sure it wasn't something left by a hacker :-)

koreth
09-14-2002, 06:23 AM
Not a substitute for a nice GUI, of course, but if I had a command-line interface where I could specify a starting and ending time (preferably in minutes-and-seconds form with optional fractions of a second) and the muxer would give me a playable MPEG file of just that part of the show, that'd be enough for me to archive all the shows I record on Showtime and HBO. In those cases I just want to trim off the padding before and after the show, never anything in the middle.

Then as a second step, I'd want a utility (which probably already exists out there) to concatenate two MPEG files with whatever timestamp tweaking is needed to make them look like a continuous piece of video. With that tool and the clip extraction feature, you'd be able to do commercial zapping, albeit in a cumbersome way.

Seems like that'd be doable much faster than an editing UI, though of course I'd love one of those eventually too!

BTW, speaking of UIs, it might be worth contacting Blight, the author of ZoomPlayer, who has tons of experience building a very functional user interface around third-party MPEG playing apps. He's in Israel so probably has no use for TiVo video extraction, but if his past development habits are any indication, he could probably be convinced to add hooks to ZoomPlayer to let the user mark in and out points and dump the timestamps to a file afterwards. Then you could feed that file into a wrapper around the pair of tools described above and get a nice edited MPEG file, end of problem. I won't post his E-mail address here but if you do a Google search on ZoomPlayer it's easy to find.

No sense reinventing the wheel...

laserfan
09-14-2002, 12:53 PM
I, too, would be happy with such a command-line operation as koreth has suggested, i.e. to trim the ends and also to concatenate two files... would be very good.

phrend
09-24-2002, 01:39 PM
I'm using TyTool5r2 and tried to download an ep. of M*A*S*H and it crashed the Windows app every time... I thought that the invalid filename chars issue was resolved already?

I renamed the Title to "MASH" (removed the "*"'s) and was able to extract the video without any problems.

No emergency, just wanted to report the issue. :)

markwilliams
09-25-2002, 10:38 PM
First, Tytool is the greatest. I've been downloading and burning
DVD's for over a month now.

I have some programs from 9/11 that I can't download because the title contains the '/' character. The version of TyTool5.exe I have is dated 7/4/2002. Is that the latest version? If not, where can I get a newer version, and does it deal with the '/' character?

Thanks.

jdiner
09-26-2002, 03:08 AM
Yeah. It appears that it does have problems with it I am just not sure why. Make sure to grab the TyTool #5r2 release. It has some GUI fixes along with other things.

More is coming fixes and new features... Hang onto it on the Tivo for now or go onto the Tivo Using the TivoWeb or some similar program to rename the shows on the tivo itself. Then you can download it successfully. It is just an issue with creating the file on the file system.

--jdiner

phrend
09-26-2002, 08:14 AM
jdiner, I just wanted to say thank you for the great app!

I only wish that converting the streams into SVCD complient MPEG's were as simple...

markwilliams
09-26-2002, 08:31 PM
So how do I know if I have Release 2 or not,
and if not, where can I get it?

FreydNot
09-27-2002, 04:09 AM
Yeah. It appears that it does have problems with it I am just not sure why. Make sure to grab the TyTool #5r2 release. It has some GUI fixes along with other things.

Did I miss the release of 5r2? Where can I download it?

SR712
09-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Its a file attachment earlier in this thread, around page 2 or 3, I think. :)

slackerVCD
11-22-2002, 01:53 PM
I am glad someone came up with a way of doing it. I have had a number of people ask me for that. I have left it alone because as I test I commonly need to restart the server for new versions etc...
--jdiner

Here's my method, a small contribution. . . I use a perl script from XP to start tserver on the tivo. Just make sure you have the net::telnet module installed on the machine that launches this script ;)

The script connects to 'tivo' (ip address is in my host file) spawns bash -c and launches tserver_mfs5 (never did figure out why it wouldn't work without -c). You could probably create a shortcut to wperl.exe and target this script, then no dos box would be opened -- if I get SUPER bored one day I may try that.

use Net::Telnet;
$telnet = new Net::Telnet (Timeout => 10,
Errmode => 'die');
$telnet->open('tivo');
$telnet->waitfor('/bash-2.02# $/i');
print $telnet->cmd('cd /var/hack/tytool');
print $telnet->cmd('bash -c ./tserver_mfs5 &');
print $telnet->cmd('exit');

salewit
12-12-2002, 02:39 AM
Has anyone been able to get Tytool v5 working with a DTivo 3.1? Mine craps out at the very beginning trying to get the Now Showing list.

mrblack51
12-12-2002, 03:07 AM
3.x has a different mfs structure. the nowshowing.tcl needs to be changed

mrblack51
12-12-2002, 03:10 AM
here is an updated nowshowing.tcl that should work. basically, the current version was checking for '3.0', this one checks for '3.'

let me know if it works/doesnt work. remove the .txt extension, and be sure to chmod a+x NowShowing.tcl once it is back on the tivo

salewit
12-12-2002, 02:04 PM
That worked perfectly! Thank you.

One more question. When I'm extracting, I notice the collision light on my ethernet hub is lit almost constantly. This never happens in any other situation. If I'm copying between two computers on the hub it doesn't happen at all. I'm just curious if anyone knows why it would do it between the Tivo and a computer. The file is copying, but I can't help but think that it's transfering much more slowly because of the collisions.

koreth
12-12-2002, 02:14 PM
How do you copy between two computers on the hub? If you're using a shared filesystem, then there wouldn't be any collisions since each computer waits for a request/response from the other before sending anything. If you use ftp you'll probably see similar behavior to the TiVo, because on a TCP connection the sender transmits data before the receiver has acknowledged getting everything up to that point (a big performance win in the face of network latency.) You're quite correct that the collisions are potentially slowing down your transfers.

My recommendation: replace your hub with a full-duplex switch. You'll probably see a substantial performance boost in transfers from your TiVo, and possibly in other situations too depending on how you use your network. Small switches are reasonably priced these days.

salewit
12-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info Koreth. Sorry to go off topic here. I live in a house with a bunch of housemates. We have a router to share our broadband. In my room, I set up a hub to connect to my desktop, laptop and Tivo. I can't just replace the hub with a switch, right? I need to put the switch between my Tivo and desktop only? And then how do I get my laptop in there?

Yes its taking about 15 minutes to extract a 30 minute show.

BubbleLamp
12-12-2002, 03:22 PM
There will ALWAYS be collisions on a shared Ethenet network, that's part of the CSMA/CD spec. Koreth, your comment relates to layer 3 of the stack, not layer 2.

You can replace the hub with a switch. This will give each node a full bandwidth connection to any other node. IOW, traffic between your Tivo and PC will have no effect on any other traffic passing through the switch.

Just adding a switch will buy you marginally better performance, since it eliminates the collision's effect on performance. However, to see the full benefits of a switch you'd need to run your NICs in full-duplex mode.

koreth
12-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Anywhere you have a hub, you can have a switch instead. You'll get maximum performance if you hook everything in your house up to a single switch (assuming all your hosts are on the same subnet, anyway) but you'll also benefit from just putting your personal machines on a switch. Unfortunately while small switches are reasonably cheap, prices go up fast once you get above 8 ports or so.

A switch is more or less just a smart hub that keeps track of what's connected to each port. With a hub, any packet that any machine sends is broadcast to *all* the other machines on the hub, whereas with a switch only the intended recipient gets the packet. That means that machines A and B talking won't have any effect on machine C's network traffic or vice versa.

A full-duplex switch can send and receive data at the same time, which is how you'll avoid collisions between data and acknowledgements between a pair of hosts. Make sure your PC has a full-duplex network card; both the switch and the host need to be full-duplex to do simultaneous send/receive. I believe the TurboNet card supports full-duplex operation so you should be safe there.

jdiner
12-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
here is an updated nowshowing.tcl that should work. basically, the current version was checking for '3.0', this one checks for '3.'

let me know if it works/doesnt work. remove the .txt extension, and be sure to chmod a+x NowShowing.tcl once it is back on the tivo

Sweet. Many thanks for the fix you posted. I will include it in the next release. Glad someone took up the slack while I have been so out of it.

--jdiner

Agrabren
12-16-2002, 08:21 AM
JDiner,
We usually do the pulls at night, before bed. Our DTivo records approx 19 shows a day, with 10 hours of recording. At night, before bed, I try to pull huge batches to be processed on my machine in the morning while I'm at work. The problem is, tserver_mfs5 crashes at random while transferring blocks. Worse, I have no idea why. What should I do to get useful information to you for future revisions of tserver_mfs5. I know if I restart the tserver, it will work again, but I have to restart the transfer, and that is a pain, cause I'm asleep when it crashes. Any ideas or steps? Thanks

Kevin

nilknarf
12-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Jdiner....I have been told to seek the wizard.

I'm running 2.5 xtremed DTivo with Kravens upgrade. I've tried about 20 times to download a video with Tytool5, but the Tivo freezes up every time at anywhere from 10% to 70% finished. I then have to reboot the tivo.

I've tried putting both channels on non-channels (00 and 01).

Here's my rc.sysinit (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/oyez/rc.sysinit). I'm running an airnet if that makes any difference. If there is any thing that you can think of for me to try, I'm all ears.

jdiner
12-17-2002, 03:25 AM
I know of nothing that would cause the rebooting. But if you are willing to commit some time to all of this then we can dig into it.

I can provide versions of tserver_mfs that segment out the work. And we can try and identify what segment is causing the crash. And once we know that, hopefully a solution will be forth coming. Sadly for me it doesn't crash. And I run a standard 2.5xtreme DTivo with tivoweb and tserver_mfs as pretty much the only extras.

But it means that I need people will to spend some time testing things that do have the problem.

--jdiner

nilknarf
12-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jdiner! I'm totally committed to figuring this thing out. So I'll start with the alternate version of tserver_mfs that segments out the work?

As far as others having this problem, I did run across this recent thread: Tytool rebooting problem (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20358). I'll pm the others and see if they'll contribute.

nilknarf
12-17-2002, 11:11 AM
Just to provide some background regarding my unit, here's whats been done to it:

1. Installed xtreme 2.5
2. Installed MVChannels
3. Added Kraven's Upgrade
4. Installed Airnet adapter (lost ftp, telnet, noscramble in the process)
5. My rc.remote-login file was full of daemons for ftp, telnet, noscramble, etc. so I copied all of that info over to my rc.net file, rebooted and all was working again.
6. Replaced my sc.tcl file with PGM's updated file in November, trying to get showcases and tivolution mag back (didn't work).
7. Installed tytools5......tivo crashes on first try
8. Tried tytools5r2, but same problem
8. TivoWeb was not starting up, so I installed again per DarkWings howto and it works fine
9. Installed Mfs_stream per DarkWings howto, it displays all shows, but when I try to download, it just gives me an instant download of 0k. (I know noscramble is working because, I get partial files with tytool.)

I probably missed a couple of minor things, but that's most of what I've done to it.

jdiner
12-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Ok. Attached is the first new release for the tserver_mfs and mfs_stream programs.

This version is a non-testing version. It is the full thing. But it has a few minor minor changes. I was asked to release some of this stuff a long time ago by... someone here. I forget who.

But it has the change so that the priority changing code dumps to stderr instead of stdout. This means that this version of mfs_stream can be used in the middle of another command via pipes or whatever your preference is.

This is also the version of tserver_mfs I use. It should be what everyone else is using baring only the change to priority printing but it gives us a starting point.

Again this .zip file contains both tserver_mfs5r2 and mfs_stream.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Ok. The attached archive contains 3 testing releases. Each of the files is named tserver_mfs_test1/2/3 and the features in them are as follows:

test1 = No MFS processing at all of any kind. This is just a test for the parsing code in the servers front-end. I.e. the calls from the TyTool client. Nothing is sent back across the network.

test2 = Full setup for doing the real MFS work. Buffers are obtained, the front-end processing is done, the size of the FSID is obtained and so on. But NO reading MFS of the data is done in anyway, and nothing is sent back across the network.

test3 = Full setup for MFS process, and FULL reading of data from the MFS. But no writing to the network of any kind.

The goals and methods to use here:

1- Each version is a "stage" in testing things to find the problem area within the server program. You need to determine a test bed that fails with the full server (the one you are already using) and then test with the same set on each server.

2- It almost begins to sound like the failure for some is when large numbers of things are chosen. (19 shows 10 hours of data etc...) That is fine. Go with it.

3- To run these tests, since no data will be coming back, it does not matter if TyTool is in the TyStream mode or the VSplit mode.

4- At this point run the test versions of the server (see below). Be sure to highlight/pick all of the shows that caused the problem and hit get. You will get no data but it will fully test the parser code for getting the shows.

5- In each of the versions of the server more will be done but there will be no data sent back over the network. So in order to "watch" what is going on and see what is happening you will need to look at the telnet window the server is running in.

To do the testing:

1- Shutdown the currently running, if any tserver_mfs program. Wait 5-20 seconds and restart the test1 server. Run your tests (see above) and record the results.

2- Shutdown the currently running, if any tserver_mfs_test1 program. Wait 5-20 seconds and restart the test2 server. Run the same tests (see above) and record the results.

3- Shutdown the currently running, if any tserver_mfs_test2 program. Wait 5-20 seconds and restart the test3 server. Run the exact same tests (see above) and record the results.

4- Report the results on the DealDatabase forum.

--jdiner

MartinC
12-17-2002, 03:20 PM
I have a 10 hour recording with 20+ parts, this causes the tests to fail. It looks like a buffer overflow as the part of the string is repeated.

It works for small numbers of parts on all the tests.

I have attached the console results, so you can see the problem in the command string.

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTREAM 131438/131440/131441/131442/131443/131
444/131445/131446/131447/131448/131449/131450/131451/131452/131453/131454/131455
/131456/131457/131458/131459/131460/131461/131462/131463/131464/131465/131466/13
1467/131468/131469/131470/131471/131472/131473/131474/1314TYSTREAM 131438/131440
/131441/131442/131443/131444/131445/131446/131447/131448/131449/131450/131451/'

jdiner
12-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Woah. What on earth did you record that was 10+ hours long? Crud.

The server itself can handle way more than that. It looks like TyTool itself is putting together the request wrong. You have 2 tyStreams in the same thing. That is not ever supposed to happen. Did you try to get more than 1 show with that or just 1 show with 20+ parts?

--jdiner

Yep. The server can handle a 100 part stream. I figured that was more than enough. But I overloaded the use on a buffer in TyTool that was only 256 bytes in length. This is bad. I will have to build a new TyTool version for that fix.

Anyone else still having issues with a more reasonably sized get 5/10 parts?

--jdiner

MartinC
12-17-2002, 03:42 PM
I am using my Tivo to move stuff off my Sky+ box which has 100+ hours on it.

So far everything works fine on single parts/low numbers its only when the string gets too long thats its been failing.

jdiner
12-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MartinC
I am using my Tivo to move stuff off my Sky+ box which has 100+ hours on it.

Just out of curiosity. What is the Sky+ box? I have never heard of it.

--jdiner

MartinC
12-17-2002, 04:51 PM
Its like a DTivo, ie its a bitstream recorder for the Satelite TV service in the UK. Its a closed system with encrypted files, so no way of getting the video out as digital.

AlphaWolf
12-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Ah MartinC, I believe I have talked to you before on skybusters?

nilknarf
12-17-2002, 05:38 PM
ok....i've run all three tservers. Nos. 2 and 3 gave me some errors while getting the nowshowing list, but surprisingly the file transfers seemed to work. No Tivo crashes.

I've attached my log.

nilknarf
12-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Alright, now I've attached my log.

jdiner
12-21-2002, 02:38 PM
Woah. Scarily enough. In going over the crashes it looks like it is the driver for the ethernet card. But I am not sure how that could be the case.

The reason I am thinking this is that the test versions do a full extraction. On my DTivo I extracted everything and over about an hour it pulled darn near 35 hours of recorded material from the MFS but it sends it nowhere. No one else reported a real crash of the system either. The only missing in version 3 was the write to the network. Literally just 1 commented call, the socket send() call. Which means I am somehow overloading the socket sub-system. Not supposed to be possible.

Could everyone that is having crashes during extraction please list out all of the information they have with reguards to the ethernet driver itself...

I have a driver file (ax88796.o) that is 8,104 bytes that I put on on Mar 24 2002...

But in checking the latest driver install from Nick's website the driver module is now: 8,384 bytes. So something has obviously changed.

These changes in the driver might account for the speed up some people here are seeing. But it also might indicate why some are seeing crashes.

In bin-editing my driver module there appears to be no version number. Where it is located in the new one I downloaded is empty (0-bytes) in the one I am using... I have no idea what version it really is or how old it is. It worked and I never bothered to check, until today, to see if there was a new version.

There is also no revision history on the website so I have no idea what changed and really can't make any further guesses. So please take a look at it and let me know what you have...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Ok. I extracted 17 shows last night via the same version of TyTool (5r2) that everyone else is using. Total data size of 17.9gig transfered. All without any problems or issues of any kind.

So given what I posted up just a moment ago here is the ax88796 module that I am using. For those that are having crashes please try this one. I believe it will mean a reboot of your DTivo but then more testing can commence.

I have done nothing strange in running it:

insmod -f /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=01FC65 timing=5

So basically, rename the old one, DO NOT DELETE IT... then copy in the new one with the right name, and either remove the network module and re-load the new one or reboot which will automatically do the same thing...

This is not really for the faint of heart or the unknowing. I do not know if this is really the culprit it is just something to try...

Once this is done the key will be to go back to the real tserver_mfs instead of the test versions posted a short time ago.

--jdiner

nilknarf
12-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Well I've solved my crashing problem and it was related to the ethernet card. I decided to swap out my Orinoco Gold card with a Dell Truemobile (which is supposed to be the same card) and the Dell card works like a charm. Funny thing is, the Orinoco card has been working fine in my notebook for a year. I guess there was something this particular card didn't like about the drivers. The drivers I am using are Nick's version 20020907.

jdiner
12-23-2002, 03:04 AM
Glad you found something that works for you. I guess I should be glad I stayed with wired alrthough my home is somewhat strange with a 100' cat-5 cable running down both hallways... :)

I wonder if other peoples crashes are also because of the wireless versus wired. I had not thought about that before this.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
12-23-2002, 03:52 AM
There are a number of tunable variables on wireless access points that can greatly affect stability, some more so than outright performance.

On my Linksys for example, they default to a Beacon Interval of 100. I had to drop it all the way down to 3 before it worked properly. There are also settings for WEP, Transmission rate, and Fragmentation Threshold which have a big effect on performance.

TiVoByte
12-23-2002, 05:18 PM
No big deal, but I thought I would document this.

If you delete the very last item in now playing list, the client app errors after the successful deletion. It looks like it re-draws the new data, with the last line missing. I suspect it then tries to re-locate the cursor which is now on an non-existent line!

Again, much more important stuff of the plate, but at lest this error is re-producible at will (at least on my system).

Thanks for the great product.

RS

Bigdog999
12-24-2002, 12:01 PM
started getting this error trying to get now showing file:

was able to connect though

jdiner
12-25-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Bigdog999
started getting this error trying to get now showing file:

was able to connect though

That is not an error. It is a debug/status line. Nothing more. Something else should have come after it. If an error something big, otherwise it can take over 30 seconds to get the list.

--jdiner

stickboy
01-03-2003, 05:37 AM
When tytool reports something like:

A/V Sync Offset: -10ms (i.e. plays 10ms late!)

What plays 10 ms late? The audio? the video? I assume it means the audio trails the video, but just wanted to double-check. The language could be a little bit clearer for dopes like me. :)

captain_video
01-03-2003, 09:20 AM
It refers to the audio sync. If you try muxing the m2a and m2v files together using a muxing program you need to specify the offset value or you will have audio that is out of sync with the video. It will make all your DVDs look like dubbed foreign movies if you don't include the proper offset value.

djrowley
01-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Apologies if this has been covered - I've read through the forum but it seems to be working OK now with XP.

I've just networked my UK Thomson Tivo (software 2.5.5) with a TurboNet card to my home 100Mb switched LAN. Everything seems to be working OK - Web server, ftp, telnet, tivo bin tools.

PC is running XP Pro.

TyTool5 works fine at first when using the IP address of the Tivo, or when using its HOSTS alias. Refresh initiates comms discussion between the two systems and the Now Showing list gets populated OK, GET PARTS shows me the list of parts OK. But when I try to actually transfer the parts to my PC, TyTool5 crashes (has found an unexpected problem...)

This is what it says in the telnet window

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTREAM 453984/453994'
-> '453984'
exporting fsid 453984 of size 536870912 to stdout

Any ideas? The only oddity I can think of is that the subnet mask is not correctly set on the Tivo - when I installed the Turbnet card it wouldn't let me change to what I wanted, and I haven't yet found out how to fix this without taking the disk out again.

stickboy
01-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
It refers to the audio sync. If you try muxing the m2a and m2v files together using a muxing program you need to specify the offset value or you will have audio that is out of sync with the video. It will make all your DVDs look like dubbed foreign movies if you don't include the proper offset value. Thanks, but that's not the clarification I was looking for.

I know that it refers to the A/V sync. Does a positive offset mean that the audio trails the video or that the video trails the audio? Is the audio late or the video late? What's the frame of reference?

Using the video stream as the frame of reference seems more likely, but like I said, I just wanted to double-check.

Originally posted by djrowley
Waiting for an incomming connection! That reminds me: sorry to be such a nitpicker, but that misspelled "incoming" bugs me every time I see it. :)

djrowley
01-08-2003, 08:57 AM

TyTool5 works fine at first when using the IP address of the Tivo, or when using its HOSTS alias. Refresh initiates comms discussion between the two systems and the Now Showing list gets populated OK, GET PARTS shows me the list of parts OK. But when I try to actually transfer the parts to my PC, TyTool5 crashes (has found an unexpected problem...)

OK, I found it - posting here for completeness in case any body else gets stuck in the same place.

The PC tool crashes (at least on XP and 2K) if the directory under Local Dir does not exist. Simple.

laserfan
01-08-2003, 12:29 PM
OK, I found it - posting here for completeness in case any body else gets stuck in the same place.

The PC tool crashes (at least on XP and 2K) if the directory under Local Dir does not exist. Simple. And I commend you for doing this! All too often I see a post and think "I ran into this too but forgot what the solution was".

And I hate it when people post "never mind, I found the problem" without stating what they did! Thanks.

djrowley
01-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by laserfan
And I commend you for doing this!

It's nice to be appreciated:) I.T. is my business (not quite this field though).

Now it's working perfectlly - again, for the record:

XP Pro, Atlhon 1700+, switched 100Mb LAN
UK SA Tivo, TurbNet

It's taking about 19 minutes to extract and split an hour's worth of programme. Can I add my thanks for the fantastic efforts you have put into this tool.

Now, the request :D. Could you put in a switch to extract Audio only? I know it will take the same amount of time to extract, but it will save having to find disk space for the video components of long radio programmes.

Here in the UK we are fortunate in having three or four high quality speech and classical music (from the BBC). They've just launched a digital radio station (BBC7) which is pumping out classic SF serials, comedy and plays from the last 30 years. I've been filling my Tivo with them but there are sometimes serveral hours worth to extract. If the video didn't get saved to disk then I could fetch out up to 10 times as much at once, overnight.

And I think this has been asked already, but could you put the recording date into the file name on the PC? The Tivo schedules don't recognise the episode titles for some of these old serials, so I end up with 6 or 12 numbered files.

Thanks

David

jdiner
01-10-2003, 04:40 AM
Alright for those interested in the current status of the tools and the cores of them that are standalone tools. Please check out the MUX'ing thread from me.

I have finished the first pass of the visual editor and it works great for me. I just need a few more people to test it etc... and then I can finish the TyTool #6 release which will have it all in 1. From cutting commericials to a MUX'ed output MPEG or a VOB ready to burn straight onto DVD it is all ready to go just in pieces at the moment.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-10-2003, 04:40 AM
Oh and it is going to take me a while to get caught up on all of the posts that were made while I was off of the forum. So be patient if you asked something and still have no reply in the next week or so then please ask again.

--jdiner

Switch17
01-11-2003, 12:06 PM

The PC tool crashes (at least on XP and 2K) if the directory under Local Dir does not exist. Simple.

%$#&%$% = Me swearing at myself. I knew I had a problem, but couldn't figure it out. I've had tytool working fine off my laptop, but not off my home machine, both with Win2K on them. I had made sure both directories paths were correct too.. But low and behold, I had it screwed up. It turns out that tytool is CAP and space sensitive. And that includes the beginning drive directory. Thus C:\ will work, but c:\ will not.

djrowley
01-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Switch17
%$#&%$% = Me swearing at myself. I knew I had a problem, but couldn't figure it out. I've had tytool working fine off my laptop, but not off my home machine, both with Win2K on them. I had made sure both directories paths were correct too.. But low and behold, I had it screwed up. It turns out that tytool is CAP and space sensitive. And that includes the beginning drive directory. Thus C:\ will work, but c:\ will not.

Not for me - both D:\TIVO\TY and d:\tivo\ty work fine.

David

shorn
01-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Anyone else still having issues with a more reasonably sized get 5/10 parts?

--jdiner

Well today for the first time I'm having trouble with an extract. It's the first time I've tried one with this many fsid's (13). I'm using Tytool5, not 5r2. Here is the output:

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTREAM 916629/916635/916638/916641/916643/916
665/916684/916687/916707/916732/916737/916740/916743'
-> '916629'
exporting fsid 916629 of size 536870912 to stdout

shorn
01-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Update: I tried tserver_mfs5r2 and got the same error. So I installed the NFS module and mfs_stream and right now that is dumping the 13-fsid stream successfully to my linux box.

Yazhol
01-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Crap. I tested the code but you never know. I am indeed parsing the names and stripping several bad filename characters. I will have to grab a few mash episodes and make sure. I am not removing the characters. Instead they become '-' characters. This way spacing is maintained etc...

--jdiner

Is there a free codec out there anywhere? Once burnt to a DVD are the boxes still there?

jtothen
01-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I would like to be able to write a version of the TyTool GUI for Mac OS X using either a native Mac codebase or a Java codebase that could then run on Linux or anywhere. Does anyone have documentation on the client/server interaction? I would like to leave the tserver_mfs5 component running on the TiVo and connect to it from my client.

Thanks,

jtothen

jtothen
01-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I would like to be able to write a version of the TyTool GUI for Mac OS X using either a native Mac codebase or a Java codebase that could then run on Linux or anywhere. Does anyone have documentation on the client/server interaction? I would like to leave the tserver_mfs5 component running on the TiVo and connect to it from my client.

Thanks,

jtothen

geowar
01-29-2003, 06:53 PM
I've been trying to get ext2fs to work on Mac OS X (so I can mount my TiVo disks without having to run PeeCee Linux). I'd be interested in contrubuting anything I can to this project also.

jdiner
02-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Alright at long last it is time for a series of new releases for TyTool.

I have spent the last little while working over the network code using the patches for the NT4/2000/XP problems I have found online. So far so good. It works for me without the annoying "#1" failure messages on download.

Surprisingly enough it also seems to have sped up the networking speed of the tool a touch.

I have also added a few other simple little features.

But a simple questions. Do the users of TyTool want this version released as #5r3? Or would you all prefer to get a full version as the next one. By full in this case I mean a version that has a completely up-to-date vsplit engine in it and the current mux'ing engine? (Which is everything short of the DVD packets as I am still reworking those... again... *sigh*)

--jdiner

Wooly
02-03-2003, 09:45 AM
I would prefer a complete up-to-date package, and call it version #6.

My opinion only (as I hunker down and wait for people to pile on and kick my A**).

But a simple questions. Do the users of TyTool want this version released as #5r3? Or would you all prefer to get a full version as the next one. By full in this case I mean a version that has a completely up-to-date vsplit engine in it and the current mux'ing engine? (Which is everything short of the DVD packets as I am still reworking those... again... *sigh*)

--jdiner

02-03-2003, 09:57 AM
The version number isn't a big deal but since you asked I'd use version 6 for the first version that includes the key file option with the split command in Tytools.

Some of us have had audio problems with the muxed file. I assume fixing the header is one of the things on your "to do" list.

IndieRockSteve
02-03-2003, 12:07 PM
complete new version. Its been long enough and makes it easier to keep track of.

jdiner
02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
It does seem that many would rather wait for a full release. Which I am working on now. But I realized I would like some feedback on how well the latest networking code works. I pulled down 24 1-hour streams in a row last night without any failures or issues. Especially the dredded "#1 failed to write" issue.

For those that have time and interest and are suffering from that problem please give this a whirl and let me know what happens.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 05:24 PM
It does seem that many would rather wait for a full release. Which I am working on now. But I realized I would like some feedback on how well the latest networking code works. I pulled down 24 1-hour streams in a row last night without any failures or issues. Especially the dredded "#1 failed to write" issue.

For those that have time and interest and are suffering from that problem please give this a whirl and let me know what happens.

--jdiner

A few quick observations:

1 No way to abort, if you hit CLEAR, processing continues. Click DELETE, and things get ugly, since it tries to delete the show as it's streaming.

2) Error message should at least suggest path error as possible cause, even better would be to validate the path.

3) Deleting files on the Tivo, even without extracting them, still causes tool to crash under WinXP Pro.

Haven't tested the network yet, but real curious if the packet size is any bigger. I think you'll get a huge improvement in non-switched networks if you can solve that.

Update: Just ran a quick test with a Sniffer. Packets coming from the Tivo are still only 590 bytes in length (536 data), and TCP window is set for 8K. Acks from the Tytool are 60 bytes as before, and TCP window size appears to be 16K. Bottom line, wire utilization is nearly off the scale at 10Mbs. Heh Josh, I have a friend who's a TCP guru, lemme know and I'll see if he can look into this for you.

jdiner
02-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
A few quick observations:

1 No way to abort, if you hit CLEAR, processing continues. Click DELETE, and things get ugly, since it tries to delete the show as it's streaming.

That is correct. It is planned but I have been trying to solve the real issues. It was driven home on me again last night how much this is really needed.

2) Error message should at least suggest path error as possible cause, even better would be to validate the path.

Yeah. That one is in the list of things for the full release. It never occured to me that people would point it somewhere that didn't exist. It will be trapped sometime soon...

3) Deleting files on the Tivo, even without extracting them, still causes tool to crash under WinXP Pro.

The delete should be removed visually until I am finished with the current changes. Something to make it faster and better. And that point it will make more sense. But for now I will repeat the advice I have given in the past... "just leave it alone."

--jdiner

jdiner
02-03-2003, 06:18 PM
BubbleLamp:

I take it back. I do have a series of checks in there for a bad directories. But just to make sure. When it dies on you what mode are you in? VSplit mode or TyStream mode?

What specifically where you doing when it fails?

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 06:43 PM
BubbleLamp:

I take it back. I do have a series of checks in there for a bad directories. But just to make sure. When it dies on you what mode are you in? VSplit mode or TyStream mode?

What specifically where you doing when it fails?

--jdiner

Tystream mode. Dies when you hit the Get button. Error message is 'Could not open an output file.' In Vsplit mode, it gives a failed to open file error, then the app crashes. It doesn't crash in Tystream mode.

jdiner
02-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Here is Version 5 Release 4.

This version should solve the crashing in both modes for when the directory is not right. It was a stupid moment that let that happen. Everywhere I looked the checks were in place to make sure it had all worked.

So in taking a step back and really looking at things I realized that I have never null'ed the file handle. So the checks worked they just always thought the files had been opened. :(

Give this one a shot.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
02-03-2003, 07:15 PM
That solved the crashing issue, thanks. I'd add the same text about No such file or directory to the Tystream mode error msg.

PS, I think you were writing a posting when I edited one of my earlier ones. Reposted here for your enjoyment.

Update: Just ran a quick test with a Sniffer. Packets coming from the Tivo are still only 590 bytes in length (536 data), and TCP window is set for 8K. Acks from the Tytool are 60 bytes as before, and TCP window size appears to be 16K. Bottom line, wire utilization is nearly off the scale at 10Mbs. Heh Josh, I have a friend who's a TCP guru, lemme know and I'll see if he can look into this for you.

MartinC
02-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi,

The buffer overflow problem, I was having is fixed with the new version but it now complains that It can't open an output file.

The Show has a name "Manual: Charmed 1"

Name = '75/135176/135177/135178/135179/135180/135181/135182/135183/135184/135185/135186/135187/135188/135189'
fsIDs = '135115/135117/135118/135119/135120/135121/135122/135123/135124/135125/135126/135127/135128/135129/135130/135131/135132/135133/135134/135135/135136/135137/135138/135139/135140/135141/135142/135143/135144/135145/135146/135147/135148/135149/135150/135174/135175/135176/135177/135178/135179/135180/135181/135182/135183/135184/135185/135186/135187/135188/135189'
Tivo Address = 'tivo'
Connected...
cmd => 'TYSTREAM 135115/135117/135118/135119/135120/135121/135122/135123/135124/135125/135126/135127/135128/135129/135130/135131/135132/135133/135134/135135/135136/135137/135138/135139/135140/135141/135142/135143/135144/135145/135146/135147/135148/135149/135150/135174/135175/135176/135177/135178/135179/135180/135181/135182/135183/135184/135185/135186/135187/135188/135189'
Could not open an output file!

Martin

MartinC
02-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Hi,

It looks like the fsid are ending up in the program name. This doesn't happen with smallier programs.

Martin

sibarys
02-06-2003, 06:30 PM
OK, I know that this MUST have been answered before somewhere but I haven't found it and so I apologize for asking again.

I'm a newbie who's just started to play with this.

I'm using the latest (I believe) "tytool5r4" client with the "tserver_mfs5". I can successfully get the streams out of the Tivo and create the the .vobs, but I'm concerned about the messages I'm getting in the text files:

"Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:28:54.703

Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:28:54.660

Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 48185.000000 frames.

Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it..."

Should I be? What does it really mean? Most streams have several of these messages, does it mean that these frames have been skipped? The example above mentions 48185 frames and that's just one message (I get several of them for each stream). I want to burn these to DVD, would this result in a "jerky" video skipping whole scenes at a time?

Thanks,
Joe

keith721
02-06-2003, 09:05 PM
. . . plenty of times by jdiner, but they're buried in the hundreds of posts for the vsplit / tytool program threads.

Out Of Band (OOB) data is not a problem, as long as you don't see the word hole in the description. If it says "Nope, not in sequence, skipping it", it literally has determined that the chunk isn't part of the a/v stream data, and should not be processed.

Each 512 megabyte TY file (FSID) extracted from the TiVo has 132KB headers and trailers, which are not part of the a/v data. On the first FSID, the first chunk contains either timestamps or frame numbers for making the TiVo's job of FF/RW easier and smoother. It's anyone's guess what the others are there for: buffer space, disk latency, future data enhancements, etc.

but, basically, you're fine . . . don't worry about it. if you want a deeper explanation, use the search tool, show messages as posts, search for the words 'vsplit' and 'hole' and username of 'jdiner'. believe me, you'll find it. :D

keith721

jdiner
02-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Wow. I would not have expected that big of a difference.

I got the server cleanly working with the larger packet sizes.

Basically always get 1460 bytes per TCP packet during download of a stream.

My times for a 1236 meg show from my DTivo:

Spliting on the fly = 1236 mbytes (942 seconds)
TyStream download = 1236 mbytes (930 seconds)

New Ty Download = 1236 mbytes (819 seconds)

Just verified the output. Byte-for-byte identical. Which it should have been. So it is good. Time to clean out the debugging info in the source and make a new release.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
02-07-2003, 09:04 PM

I got the server cleanly working with the larger packet sizes.

Basically always get 1460 bytes per TCP packet during download of a stream.

My times for a 1236 meg show from my DTivo:

Spliting on the fly = 1236 mbytes (942 seconds)
TyStream download = 1236 mbytes (930 seconds)

New Ty Download = 1236 mbytes (819 seconds)

Just verified the output. Byte-for-byte identical. Which it should have been. So it is good. Time to clean out the debugging info in the source and make a new release.

--jdiner

Told 'ya;) The benefit will be an even bigger percentage for those on non-switched and/or 10Mbps networks.

jdiner
02-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Alright the latest version has been fully cleaned up and released.

Please check for the archive and the release notes in the proper bin/tool only sticky thread.

And as always let me know what results you have and what you think.

--jdiner

digitalAir
02-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Total Size = 3724kbytes in 6.422000 seconds...
Unknown tag <166>
tag data <b 8 06:38:38 tcl[764]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes>

Any idea what this error is with the new release?

jdiner
02-08-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by digitalAir
Any idea what this error is with the new release?
Yeah. Every now and again the tcl code puts out something that is not usually there. And sadly it seems to do it in a format that is something like my NowShowing.tcl output.

If you can get for me the text that comes from it so I can download it I might be able to filter it. But perhaps something else is the key.

Since it is doing it to you now. Run the script this way:

./NowShowing.tcl

And you will get the output in my own format.

Then try it again with redirection on. Something like:

./NowShowing.tcl > out.txt

and

./NowShowing.tcl 2> err.txt

It is possible that the tivo people were smart and that should go to stderr... The first will get rid of my output and hopefully not theirs. And the second will get rid of theirs.

If the second works correctly then I will add it to the internals of the tserver code to just send it to /dev/nul...

--jdiner

jdiner
02-08-2003, 03:34 AM
The new-integrated Version 0.06 of TyTool is almost ready to go. I have some more cleaning up to do and some changes to make to the front-end and what not.

As it stands it will split with the latest vsplit engine, and mux the output.

Coming soon is integrated key frame file generation and integration of the editor and the built-in IFO/BUP/ etc... generation.

--jdiner

Fugg
02-08-2003, 11:05 AM

On my dtivo, I went from 1.2mbps to 1.5mbps solid!
On my sa, I went from .9 mbps to 1.3mbps solid!

Both turbonets, connecting to the pc via a crossover cable, direct.

Thanks! :)

MeL
02-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Hmmm... My download times for a half hour show went way up (now takes over twice as long!) using the latest tools...

Here are some setup details...

Connected via a LinkSys BEFSX41 (manual MTU 1500) reporting 100Mb Full Duplex on all switch ports.

Server on a Sony SVR-2000 with TurboNet using a static IP (MTU 1500).

Client on an IBM ThinkPad T23 running Windows 2000 SP3 using DHCP (MTU 1500).

stivo:/var/hack/bin# ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:104889 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:439032 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
Interrupt:29

And here are the timings...

Tivo Client Alpha #5 rel5 using tserver_mfs6...

Name = 'C:\TiVo\ty\Stanley-Camel Commotion; There's Snow Place Like Home'
fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...

DiffTime = 1320.549063 (1320549) == 22.009152 Minutes
total = 637534208

And some old tools/combinations for comparisons...

Tivo Client Alpha #5 rel4 using tserver_mfs6...

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...
cmd => 'TYSTREAM 891818/891819'

DiffTime = 612.701029 (612701) == 10.211684 Minutes
total = 637534208

Tivo Client Alpha #5 rel4 using tserver_mfs5r2...

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...

DiffTime = 613.492029 (613492) == 10.224868 Minutes
total = 637534208

Tivo Client Alpha #5 rel5 using tserver_mfs5r2...

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...
Data socket connect failed!

[tserver_mfs5r2 output...]
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.1.102 1659 891818/891819
'
Bogus command... 'TYSTRM2 192.168.1.102 1659 891818/891819
'

From these timings it looks like the slowdown is in the client (rel5)... Am I the only one with worse times using the latest tools? Any ideas on how I can get better transfer rates with the latest tools?

Thanks,
MeL

snoots
02-09-2003, 01:36 PM
First, thanks to Jdiner for the great tools. I have been lurking here for some time and have now made about 10 DVD's of movies, some 2 movies per DVD ! I have a Sat-T60 and using the new version I can get the 'Now Playing' list but when I select a movie to extract, my client side seems to hang and then posts a message indicating a socket error. The TIVO side has a similar error to the one listed above with what looks like an invalid IP address in the text of the message. I went back a version and it works ok. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance !

snoots
02-09-2003, 01:49 PM
I just noticed something else, my primary PC is a Sony Vaio, it has been working fine with the older tools. My 2nd machine is a Dell and it has always run very slow extracting so I don't use it for that. After seeing the slowdown on the Sony, I tried the Dell with the new version and it runs very fast now !!!! Both running XP professional, the sony is 1.2 Ghz P4, the Dell is dual 900 MHZ P3s. Different network cards part of the problem ? Are there any details I could post that would help define the problem better ?

jdiner
02-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by snoots
First, thanks to Jdiner for the great tools. I have been lurking here for some time and have now made about 10 DVD's of movies, some 2 movies per DVD ! I have a Sat-T60 and using the new version I can get the 'Now Playing' list but when I select a movie to extract, my client side seems to hang and then posts a message indicating a socket error. The TIVO side has a similar error to the one listed above with what looks like an invalid IP address in the text of the message. I went back a version and it works ok. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance !

Do you have more than 1 ip-addressable device in your PC? I am just grabbing them from the list and I hadn't thought about that until just now.

If you have a modem etc... It could be grabbing the wrong ip address, i.e. for a not current on device?!!?

My machine only has 1 ethernet device in it and so I get it all correct. Having just run a test on a machine with a modem in it as well. I seem to get the modem's IP address, even though it is not currently dialed up, rather than the ethernet cards address...

I will have to add some things to make that run more smoothly somehow.

--jdiner

snoots
02-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I have a cable modem connected to a Compaq wireless router plus the vaio pc, dell pc, tivo, and one other HP pc. IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 for router .12 for vaio, .200 for tivo, .14 for dell and the hp is 15. THe ip address in the error message did not seem to match. The client says onnecting to '192.168.1.200'
Connected...
Total Size = 476kbytes in 2.083000 seconds...

Name = 'C:\Dtivo\The One-'
fsIDs = '480792/480816/480840/480841/480842'
Tivo Address = '192.168.1.200'
Connected...

The Tivo says
'TYSTRM2 169.254.241.150 3167 480792/480816/4808
40/480841/480842'

let me know if I can provide more details

BubbleLamp
02-10-2003, 01:47 AM
I have a cable modem connected to a Compaq wireless router plus the vaio pc, dell pc, tivo, and one other HP pc. IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 for router .12 for vaio, .200 for tivo, .14 for dell and the hp is 15. THe ip address in the error message did not seem to match. The client says onnecting to '192.168.1.200'
Connected...
Total Size = 476kbytes in 2.083000 seconds...

Name = 'C:\Dtivo\The One-'
fsIDs = '480792/480816/480840/480841/480842'
Tivo Address = '192.168.1.200'
Connected...

The Tivo says
'TYSTRM2 169.254.241.150 3167 480792/480816/4808
40/480841/480842'

let me know if I can provide more details

Sure looks like tserver is trying to connect to the IP address used by the cable modem. Do you have 2 network cards in your PC? You can't have two different network numbers on the same physical media, whether it's wireless or wired. IOW, a network number of 169.254.241.xxx cannot be on the same "wire" as 192.168.1.xxx.

MeL
02-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Jdiner,

As a long-time lurker who just recently registered to post, I wanted to thank you for choosing to share your software with this group and I eagerly await the day I can just "click", edit, burn, and have a DVD or SVCD of shows from my TiVo.

But I am seeing a problem with my "normal" (at lest it seems normal to me) setup and the latest versions. Please see my first post a few back in this thread for details. Basically it went from taking about 10 mins to extract a half hour show using rel4/tserver_mfs5r2 to over 20mins using rel5/tserver_mfs6?

I could keep using the old tserver_mfs5r2, but I wanted to "keep up" with what the rest of the group was using for the new features, etc.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to debug this problem? It seems that things are working great for most here (even faster with rel5/tserver_mfs6), but not for me...

I'm sure others want you to stay focused on the next release (and I do too!), but if I could get some pointers from you (or anyone else) on what might be different or problematic for rel5 in my setup, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
MeL

DgtHorse
02-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Jdiner with NoScramble activated my TyStream mode extracts it but in vsplit it gives me the following error
---------------------
Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...
--------------------
When i do VSplit mode the 2 files (m2v m2a) are both 0bytes at the end. Help! :)

BubbleLamp
02-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by MeL
Jdiner,
Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to debug this problem? It seems that things are working great for most here (even faster with rel5/tserver_mfs6), but not for me...

Thanks,
MeL

For a few bucks you can buy a CAT5 crossover cable and connect the laptop directly to the Tivo to eliminate the switch. Also, are you sure the NIC in the laptop can do 100Mbps full-duplex? Is it built-in, or PCMCIA? If the latter, it'd have to be CardBus to keep up.

One more thing, is it possible you are running the client from a shortcut, and the shortcut is still pointing to the older version? You have to have matching client and tserver for full packets to work.

jdiner
02-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by DgtHorse
Jdiner with NoScramble activated my TyStream mode extracts it but in vsplit it gives me the following error
---------------------
Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...
--------------------
When i do VSplit mode the 2 files (m2v m2a) are both 0bytes at the end. Help! :)

Double check everything. Make sure it actually downloaded something. I.e. that TyStream file has some real data in it.

Then check the scramble stuff. Because what you got, if there is really something there, is just plain wrong. VSplit can't lock onto anything in the stream. So you are out of luck...

--jdiner

jdiner
02-10-2003, 06:22 PM
I specifically did not remove any of the old functionality. Just in case things were a bit tougher to consider done than I thought.

Basically I will be adding a few new features to the next release.

1- A menu option to go back to the original download mode for those for whom it was faster or worked better. Personally the new mode gave me a 20%+ speed increase so I won't be going back... :)

2- A menu option for setting the IP Address to use for the data sockets. It will be an enumerated list from the interface itself so that if you use DHCP and can and do get different values for your PC depending on boot order you can pick it as you go. This value will get saved so that for those that do not get rotating address you only have to do it once.

3- A third option that will include a "sleep()" call on the server. I have had, just once, the crash during extraction happen. I noticed that GUI was very very slow and I tried to too many things. I.e. I hit the live-tv button, then now showing, then... trying to see if things would wake up. I think doing more to give the CPU to the Tivo processes themselves would really help with this problem. But only time will tell at this point.

--jdiner

EDIT: I suppose I should point out that the reason I have not released such is that I started rolling in the latest version of vsplit. But it is only about 85% in place. As such the code no longer compiles or runs. I want to finish this version before moving on to other things.

The re-editing of things to shoe-horn them in is one of my least favorite things and if I stop now... :(

DgtHorse
02-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Double check everything. Make sure it actually downloaded something. I.e. that TyStream file has some real data in it.

Then check the scramble stuff. Because what you got, if there is really something there, is just plain wrong. VSplit can't lock onto anything in the stream. So you are out of luck...

--jdiner

aha i got it working, it ends up i did nto enable noscramble completely there seems to be 2 places to activate it in xPlusz but it works like a dream now :)

snoots
02-10-2003, 09:49 PM
BubbleLamp and jdiner; Some clarification. My cable modem connects to Cox cable. It is set for DHCP from cox. It's address is
68.102.96.67 I only have one network card in each of my pc's My problem only showed up using the new client and server version. I can use the older version with no problem. The IP address that the TIVO side mentions seems to be invalid for my network as it is 169.254.241.151 ???? My side of the cable modem is all 192.168.1.XXX also all devices on my side are working fine. I can FTP and telnet to the TIVO as that is how I start the TIVO mfs server code. This problem may be related to the network changes made in the new version to increase the speed. Just a guess maybe unfounded. Thanks for the replys I appreciate it ! For now I will continue to run the older code that works for me. Possibly if other folks have a similar problem we can find the cause.

jdiner
02-10-2003, 11:23 PM
It is set for DHCP from cox. It's address is
68.102.96.67 I only have one network card in each of my pc's My problem only showed up using the new client and server version. I can use the older version with no problem. The IP address that the TIVO side mentions seems to be invalid for my network as it is 169.254.241.151 ???? My side of the cable modem is all 192.168.1.XXX also all devices on my side are working fine.

Address in the 169.* range are what are given out by windows when an Ethernet devices is not fully configured... The most common culprit is a USB ethernet device. But others particularly intel brand devices.

It has to do with the way DHCP was made. And apparently it is a common issue. The device does not come all the way up or ... Who knows. Debugging DHCP is not my forte...

But basically a query to the windows core system for ethernet returns an 169.* address when there is "no currently assigned address" for that device.

I can FTP and telnet to the TIVO as that is how I start the TIVO mfs server code. This problem may be related to the network changes made in the new version to increase the speed. Just a guess maybe unfounded. Thanks for the replys I appreciate it ! For now I will continue to run the older code that works for me. Possibly if other folks have a similar problem we can find the cause.

Yeah. See the system is smarter than mine is at the moment. I didn't build mine for absolute robustness. I just built it to see if it was really any faster.

You are getting for some reason multiple devices and so multiple address. Telnet and ftp look for the right one and go from there. Or at least what they choose is somehow routable from machine to machine. My code specifically chooses one and if it is wrong. That is the end of it. No further attempts are made.

To look at what is going on run from the Start menu->run option:

winipcfg

You should get a simple window that opens up with a drop-down-listbox on it that shows the numbers of devices. Check to see if there is more than one. If there is only one then something more serious is wrong.

--jdiner

digitalAir
02-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Yeah. Every now and again the tcl code puts out something that is not usually there. And sadly it seems to do it in a format that is something like my NowShowing.tcl output.

If you can get for me the text that comes from it so I can download it I might be able to filter it. But perhaps something else is the key.

Since it is doing it to you now. Run the script this way:

./NowShowing.tcl

And you will get the output in my own format.

Then try it again with redirection on. Something like:

./NowShowing.tcl > out.txt

and

./NowShowing.tcl 2> err.txt

It is possible that the tivo people were smart and that should go to stderr... The first will get rid of my output and hopefully not theirs. And the second will get rid of theirs.

If the second works correctly then I will add it to the internals of the tserver code to just send it to /dev/nul...

--jdiner

Sorry, I was away from my computer for the last couple of days.

there is no output to stderr, but I'm including the data from stdout.

The <166> is right at the beginning of the output.

jdiner
02-11-2003, 02:57 AM
DigitalAir:

Please post the entire output from the run for me. I need to see it in context to figure out how to filter it...

--jdiner

jdiner
02-11-2003, 02:59 AM
Alright. Welp, the latest vsplit code is into TyTool6. And it works. Gives byte for byte identical output to what vsplitmux2 does. Which is the good new.

The mux'er is also in and that is where the good news stops. I have to figure out what is going on but at the moment what is happening is that the mux'er runs and I get 10 or so meg of output where there should be 128meg.

I have yet to figure out what went wrong on it's inclusion. But that is ok. It can't be that hard. Some variable somewhere is getting hosed.

But I am going to track it down tommorow. I have just run out of steam for tonight.

--jdiner

DgtHorse
02-11-2003, 03:02 AM
jdiner, so what your saying is TyTool 6 will extract directly to an MPG??

jdiner
02-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Yeah. That is what I am saying.

Right now it extracts to a broken mpeg. But as soon as I finish tracking down what is wrong. It will give the same exact output either from the net or from a file that VSplitMux2 will.

I found out where things are going wrong. And luckily it is all in 1 place. The mux'er itself. But it looks there are several places where things go boom.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
02-11-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by MeL
Hmmm... My download times for a half hour show went way up (now takes over twice as long!) using the latest tools...

Here are some setup details...

Connected via a LinkSys BEFSX41 (manual MTU 1500) reporting 100Mb Full Duplex on all switch ports.

Server on a Sony SVR-2000 with TurboNet using a static IP (MTU 1500).

Client on an IBM ThinkPad T23 running Windows 2000 SP3 using DHCP (MTU 1500).

Thanks,
MeL

Something just hit me MeL. You have manually tweaked the MTU to 1500. But the real number for a full packet is 1514. So my theory is every packet is having to be fragmented because they are too big for your MTU. So to test my theory, try removing the manual MTU setting, or bump it to1514 and see what happens.

digitalAir
02-11-2003, 09:32 AM
DigitalAir:

Please post the entire output from the run for me. I need to see it in context to figure out how to filter it...

--jdiner

uhhh... that is the entire output from NowShowing.tcl

jdiner
02-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Ohh.... Should not have been. That is seriously wierd.

Wanna give me telnet access to your tivo? I don't actually need to extract anything. Just check some things myself to see what I can see.

--jdiner

MeL
02-11-2003, 11:15 PM
BubbleLamp/Jdiner, thanks for the replies/suggestions.

Answers to BubbleLamp's questions: yes, it's a full-duplex built-in 100Mbps NIC in the laptop and I didn't use shortcuts for the TyTool client (I made sure the title bar said "rel5" for one test and "rel4" for the other test).

So, I first tried the direct connect with a cross-over cable between the laptop and the TiVo and got the best transfer rates yet (under 8mins for a 30min show!):

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...

DiffTime = 474.352023 (474352) == 7.905867 Minutes
total = 637534208

But, I still just got the original "good" rate with the old client:

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...

DiffTime = 617.818029 (617818) == 10.296968 Minutes
total = 637534208

Then I tried putting the BEFSX41 switch back in the loop. I was going to try the 1514 MTU that BubbleLamp suggested, but the BEFSX41 won't accept a MTU setting greater than 1500, so I set it to "auto" MTU -- I got the same bad results as in my first post.

So, it looks like the switch is causing a slowdown for me (not sure if it's MTU related or not) with the new rel5/tserver_mfs6 transfer mode.

However, I never did change the MTU of the TurboNet (1500) or the laptop (1500 I think), so that makes me think it is not MTU related... What command would I use to change the MTU on the TurboNet anyway? And how was it that you can check the MTU on a Windows 2000 system?

Also I've thought about using using the "timing" parameter on the ax88796 (TurboNet) module -- I think the default is 6, but you can go to 3 on a SA and to 5 on a DTiVo. Anyone here use the timing option with their TurboNet to get better transfer rates?

Thanks,
MeL

zobetron
02-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but is it possible to shutdown the server from the client?

TIA

BubbleLamp
02-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by MeL
BubbleLamp/Jdiner, thanks for the replies/suggestions.

Answers to BubbleLamp's questions: yes, it's a full-duplex built-in 100Mbps NIC in the laptop and I didn't use shortcuts for the TyTool client (I made sure the title bar said "rel5" for one test and "rel4" for the other test).

So, I first tried the direct connect with a cross-over cable between the laptop and the TiVo and got the best transfer rates yet (under 8mins for a 30min show!):

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...

DiffTime = 474.352023 (474352) == 7.905867 Minutes
total = 637534208

But, I still just got the original "good" rate with the old client:

fsIDs = '891818/891819'
Tivo Address = 'stivo'
Connected...

DiffTime = 617.818029 (617818) == 10.296968 Minutes
total = 637534208

Then I tried putting the BEFSX41 switch back in the loop. I was going to try the 1514 MTU that BubbleLamp suggested, but the BEFSX41 won't accept a MTU setting greater than 1500, so I set it to "auto" MTU -- I got the same bad results as in my first post.

So, it looks like the switch is causing a slowdown for me (not sure if it's MTU related or not) with the new rel5/tserver_mfs6 transfer mode.

However, I never did change the MTU of the TurboNet (1500) or the laptop (1500 I think), so that makes me think it is not MTU related... What command would I use to change the MTU on the TurboNet anyway? And how was it that you can check the MTU on a Windows 2000 system?

Also I've thought about using using the "timing" parameter on the ax88796 (TurboNet) module -- I think the default is 6, but you can go to 3 on a SA and to 5 on a DTiVo. Anyone here use the timing option with their TurboNet to get better transfer rates?

Thanks,
MeL

You aren't setting the MTU on the switch side of that box, you are setting it for the WAN link. (I was wondering what you meant by that, I never saw a switch with an adjustable MTU!)

The recommended timing for a DTivo is 5, unless Nick changed that somewhere along the line.

My theory, and it's only a theory, is that the Linksys switches are a POS. The fact that you saw a dramatic improvement seems to support that. A properly operating, non-blocking switch should not be any slower than a direct connection NIC to NIC. Either these switches don't negotiate full-duplex correctly, or they have insufficient buffers or processors to handle the load.

snoots
02-12-2003, 12:03 AM
BubbleLamp, jdiner, I ran IPCONFIG on my Sony. It showed an ethernet adapter with the suspect IP address ! I checked in network connections and only have one Realtek on board Ethernet, which has the correct address for my home network. I did have 2 1394 fire wire connections but they had no addresses associated with them. When I did IPCONFIG /all the suspect IP address became clear to me. I run a NORTEL VPN client to access my workplace. Somehow when the nortel software was closed the last time it somehow stayed semi configured. So I started the vpn up checked the IP address and it was the correct one for work. I closed the VPN connection and VOILA ! The suspect address is gone. Now when I run the newer server and client it now connects and downloads though it is much slower than the older version. Thanks for the input, sorry to tie you guys up !! I am wondering if the slowness is related to MeL's issue. I am using a compaq switch not a linksys and my Dell actually runs fast on the new software ( it was the slow one in the past ). At this point it is not that important, I can run the older version. Thanks Again !

jdiner
02-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by zobetron
Maybe I'm missing something but is it possible to shutdown the server from the client?

No. Not yet. There were more important thing to do first.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-12-2003, 05:21 PM
I am out of town again at the moment. But a version that does both types of downloads should be on it's way sometime soon. But bad hardware should have affected more than just the TyTool software. You can verify that it is a more complex problem than just my software by using the ftp server is passive and normal mode.

I was getting bad networking in passive and good in normal.

Try it if you are curious and see what you get.

--jdiner

digitalray
02-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Can someone please offer a tidbit of help. I'm not that familiar with tcl scripts or linux. Here's my problem - extreme25, when I execute NowShowing.tcl it works great, but when I execute ./NowShowing.tcl it gives invalid filename error. I've chmod 777 NowShowing.tcl and it hasn't helped. It seems to happen with all of my tcl scripts. I'm really trying to fix it so that tserver works and doesn't throw the error even when both files are in the same directory.

Thanks...

jdiner
02-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by digitalray
Can someone please offer a tidbit of help. I'm not that familiar with tcl scripts or linux. Here's my problem - extreme25, when I execute NowShowing.tcl it works great, but when I execute ./NowShowing.tcl it gives invalid filename error. I've chmod 777 NowShowing.tcl and it hasn't helped. It seems to happen with all of my tcl scripts. I'm really trying to fix it so that tserver works and doesn't throw the error even when both files are in the same directory.

That basically makes no sense at all.

For "NowShowing.tcl" to work that means that you have the directory where it resides in the path for the bash shell you are in.

"./NowShowing.tcl" is an override that says basically reguadless of what is in the path find and run the one in this directory. I did it that way because it should have made it work reguardless.

So for NowShowing.tcl to work and ./NowShowing.tcl to not work makes me think it is not in the same directory as it was being run from.

--jdiner

digitalray
02-13-2003, 06:04 PM
That basically makes no sense at all.

I agree. You can see how long I've been in this and how many questions I've had. I was expecting you to say something like the 25 tcl interpreter can't handle dot slash, need to upgrade to 252. The basic fact remains that from the same bash prompt, NowShowing.tcl works and ./NowShowing.tcl doesn't. It's either the version or something really stupid I'm doing.

Thanks

jdiner
02-13-2003, 06:57 PM
try:

tivosh ./NowShowing.tcl

This will run the the tivo tcl interpretter directly.

--jdiner

artships
02-14-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by digitalray
The basic fact remains that from the same bash prompt, NowShowing.tcl works and ./NowShowing.tcl doesn't.

Um, to rephrase what Josh said...
Where did you install NowShowing.tcl? I put mine in /hack/bin. So, to execute it, I have to first execute:

cd /hack/bin

Then I can execute:

./NowShowing.tcl

Which means, "Execute the command named NowShowing.tcl that is in the current directory. To get to that directory you must "cd" (Change Directory) to it.

John,
Perplexed.

jdiner
02-14-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by artships
Where did you install NowShowing.tcl? I put mine in /hack/bin. So, to execute it, I have to first execute:

cd /hack/bin

Then I can execute:

./NowShowing.tcl

Exactly. To try and be even a bit more clear... The "./" at the start literally means "right here".

So you have to be able to see the .tcl file with the following ls command:

ls

No directory entry of any kind.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Wow. Well the speed differences with the new code for TyTool is still on a roll.

Using the old method with the latest splitting code and what not on a 512 meg stream I get:

DiffTime = 392.689000 (392689) == 6.544817 Minutes
total = 536870912

And use the new double socket method, with the latest splitting code on the same 512 meg stream I get:

DiffTime = 287.933000 (287933) == 4.798883 Minutes
total = 536870912

A very nice difference in speed. :)

--jdiner