PDA

View Full Version : DirecTivo Series 2

Nitz
07-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Does anyone have a fullproof method of determining wether an SAT-T60 is series one or two. I want to be sure that there is a PCI connector inside the box for adding the NIC, but can't open it until I buy it.

Also, has anyone ever heard of Sony SAT-T60's shipping with P4 cards?

mrblack51
07-11-2002, 07:33 PM
heres a fool proof way: if you can see a dtivo now, then its a series one. tough huh? =) the series 2 units have not been released in dtivo form afaik, and they won't be out for a while either

BubbleLamp
07-11-2002, 08:47 PM
Yea, and what really sucks is the "current" boxes are going for over $400 on ebay!!

tgun
07-12-2002, 12:42 AM
Yeah, for a used one! I had to buy one to replace mine that died a horrible death in a lightning storm.

captain_video
07-12-2002, 09:50 AM
One thing you have to remember is that it's a matter of supply and demand. There is no longer a supply of these units being manufactured and the demand is increasing as more and more people find out what you can do with a DTivo. You can bet that a series 2 DirecTivo is going to be much more secure against hacking. Besides, with the ability of setting up a pseudo lifetime sub on the unit you're saving $250.00 right off the top. Take a look on ebay and see what standalone Tivos with lifetime subs and ReplayTVs (no sub required except for the newest models) and you'll see that even $400.00 for a DirecTivo is not a bad deal. Look on the bright side - when was the last time you bought any consumer electronic product that actually increased in value after you bought it? Most electronics are worth less than half of what you paid for them (retail) right after you leave the store.

AlphaWolf
07-12-2002, 11:49 AM
Damn, that kinda bothers me. Sorta like the prime of the H card days when you didn't want your little prize to get dammaged because they were worth so much. Are there any APS type devices that can protect the coax wires from these types of surges?

Can't believe I bought all 4 of mine for about $500.

Nitz
07-12-2002, 11:59 AM
APC Surge Suppressors for Tivo (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PV&displaylist=Overview,Astericks#anchor1)

I use these.

Our company sells them for $25 if you want.

You bought 4 for $500. Ouch !

I just bought 3 for $500 a piece.
Funny thing is that they came with P4 cards.

Regular TV from antenna- free
Cable TV-- $40/ month
DirecTivo with all channels and NIC to export to DVD burner.... Priceless !!

AlphaWolf
07-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Well, I origionaly bought 6 for $150 a pop, sold 2 of em for around $200 each, so the 4 ended up costing me $500 in a sense :D

Wasn't a bad deal, all were brand new out of the box, included HU cards, warranty (which I immediately voided) etc.

Meathead
07-12-2002, 03:20 PM
I bought 5 for $100 each. Sold 2 for $250 each....3 Free Tivos.

Meathead