PDA

View Full Version : Quantum fried on Hughes?

imali
07-15-2002, 04:16 PM
I haven't come across this exact scenario, so I'm hoping someone has seen it. The system was running fine with Xtreme2.5, until one evening I turned it on and had only the Welcome screen. The hard drive comes on for about 20 seconds, and then stops. There had been a series of thunderstorms through the area that day, but I have no way of knowing how many times the power may have gone out. I put the hard drive in my main system in hopes of re-applying the image, but instead of recognizing the hard drive for what it is, as it did when I made the original application, at "Searching for IDE devices" I get "f if" for the Tivo drive and then when it lists the devices on the next screen it shows "none" where the Tivo drive is located. I have tried all manner of locations and settings, but cannot get it to acknowledge. I can't see how anything is going to work if I can't get it to recognize the existence of the drive. The only thing I can thing of is that it's toast. I'd certainly welcome any opinion or suggestions.

Thank you.

imali
08-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the response RC... The computer shop I deal with RMA'ed it back to Maxtor, but the claim was turned down because it came out of the U.S. and I am in Canada. I have no idea why that would make a difference, but for some reason it did.

This drive is locked up tight, in fact, I have not been able to even find a computer that will recognize it's existance. The good news is, I can pick up a 72,000 RPM replacement for about $100.00 CDN, so it's not a total loss.

Thanks again for taking the time.