PDA

View Full Version : webpage for linux users

IndieRockSteve
07-22-2002, 07:41 PM
http://indierocksteve.dyndns.org/TivoLinux/

its what I've learned, compiled and "how-to'd" of sorts. Please read over it, and give me ideas for improvements, etc.

thanks

AlphaWolf
07-22-2002, 08:06 PM
nice, now I can use my samba ISO server to batch convert extracted movies to divx over an SSH session while my laptop PC is free to do anything :)

One question though, did you optimize the divx conversion for standalone tivo extractions or directivos? My understanding is there would need to be different optimal bitrates for them.

edit: er, none of those binaries require an X server running do they?

IndieRockSteve
07-25-2002, 04:41 AM
nope, don't need an X server running.

I haven't optimized them, right now they default to vbr=800. I've noticed that around 1200 is a good vbr value for a tystream at "Best". This is a difficult thing to get because you can always to the full 1600 which will be great, but overkill, as you lower it you want to go till you start noticing quality go down, but that changes with different source material. As far as DirecTivo, I'd say 1400 and up would prbly be good, since the signal is really really good to begin with. I can't wait till digital cable is all digital and not analog and digital. Or wait for the whole directv hacker/P4 situation to fall out....