PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Signature

ParaOrd45
07-25-2002, 08:01 AM
By accident I allowed Win XP to boot up while my original Series 2 hard drive was attached to my system. The Hinsdale instructions warn against this indicating that a signature my be placed on the hard drive by XP that could cause problems for Tivo.

My question is:

If I use the MFS tools CD to backup the drive, will this “signature” be copied onto my new replacement drive?

martin18152
08-06-2002, 02:58 PM
I have windows xp oem version, and I have booted my hard drives about 200 times, till i figured out that linux won't work with anything but a fat 32 file system for the back up. Finaly I put a fat 32 drive in for the primary master back up drive and everything was good. I think the signiture comes in if you format your intended tivo drive with xp or read write. There should be no reason to format the tivo drive, so if you didn't format the drive with xp and therefore you couldn't write or read it, you should have no problem. The signiture has not affect on the tivo back up.

BubbleLamp
08-06-2002, 06:59 PM
WIN2K/XP will write the signature on any disk it finds, whether you're formatting it or not. If you didn't do your backup of the drive BEFORE the signature was written, the restore won't help you now. I think there might be a boot sector floating around you could write to the drive. Contrary to what martin said, the sig. WILL affect your TiVo drive. If you are going to run Xtreme, then it should take care of the drive sig. for you.

martin18152
08-07-2002, 07:23 AM
You are correct, if you read your original drive in xp, and plan on reusing it, it could get the signiture and be unusable. I was thinking in terms of the new "unformated" drive. Sorry about that. I both cases when I upgraded, the original drives were trashed and I didn't re use then for other than temporary data storage on my PC.

ParaOrd45
08-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. I have been on vacation for a while and have not had time to check back for answers.

Apparently the XP signature did not write to my original Series 2 Hard drive (I wanted to keep it as a spare in case my replacement failed). Some more reading on my part led me to believe that I narrowly averted a big problem. I will be looking for a small blank hard drive to replace my XP drive in future upgrades.

Thanks much for the help!