PDA

View Full Version : Extraction at the speed of HD?

JasonJLee
07-29-2002, 01:46 PM
OK, I've been searching, but I can't find it.. Alphawolf posted something on this before from what I've read, but I can't find it.

Is it possible to remove the HD from the TIVO and mount it in another machine and extract all the shows...

This would be at the speed of the HD rather than the speed of a Tivoweb connection, assuming that the connection is the bottleneck, not the extracting software.....

J

JasonJLee
07-30-2002, 05:34 AM
Thanks for that...

What I *was* planning originally was to mount an extra HD just as a normal drive rather than an mfs style drive.

Then, at say 4 in the morning, extract all the shows onto the HD.

In fact, what I was planning to do was build an interface that would allow me to (with the Tivo power off), switch the NEW hard disk between the Tivo, and another IDE cable connected to another machine.

This machine could then copy the data off, tidy it up.

Thinking about this and reading some more, it would be simplier to use the existing Tivo hd, but this may create problems with winxp which I was planning to use, as I can't find a way to stop it writing a signature (yet).

However, do you really believe that powering the Tivo up and down shortens its life considerably? I mean, my pc's get shut off at night, turned on in morning, and I've never had one die on me.

If it is true then there is really no point. I'll stick to extracting using tytool etc... Takes a while on trubonet, but better than dead tivo.

J

JasonJLee
07-30-2002, 08:12 AM
yeah, I'm coming around to the path of least effort, as in giving up on this idea. The big advantage is the time delay would be gone..

One thing that would solve it for me.. Is there any way to make recordings export automatically in the background, or even better a way of exporting selected shows automatically?

That way, when I get home, the days recordings would be sitting there, rather than me selecting them...

Thanks for all the help so far btw. Interesting that you had a cd-r in the Tivo, I wasn't aware anyone had pulled that off.

J

laserfan
07-30-2002, 12:21 PM
I have VNC access to my network at home, and have minded the extraction process remotely to good effect. It's not been an issue insofar as my Tivo and PC otherwise have little to do during the day. So "time to extract" is not a problem for so long as I do a little planning ahead of time (i.e. do extractions during the day so I have some tys to work on at night).

What IS a problem for me is that my Tivo has 2 - 80gig drives in it, and my edit PC has <only> a 20g System and an 80g Storage disk, and the Storage disk fills up rapidly w/just a few programs and a few editing projects.

So I can't extract lots of programs at one time anyway, at least not until I get a few extra terabytes of storage space on my PC!

JasonJLee
07-31-2002, 07:04 AM
Riley,

Any chance of sharing that script? Just so I'm clear, It runs on the tivo end or the pc?

and pushes shows to a network destination?

I tried samba but found it very shakey on my uk Tivo. I can't find anyone to say a good word about samba on a uk tivo, so I guess its just not stable.

NFS seemed ok, but I couldn't see a good use for it until now..

J

JasonJLee
08-01-2002, 03:42 AM
interesting.. I should be able to knock something like that up..

What are you using to mount the share, samba or nfs?

J