PDA

View Full Version : Full swapout of XBOX DVD drive with a Pioneer 500M

KRavEN
07-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Check out http://coverx.idiso.org for the tutorial. Gives instructions for doing other drives too.

mrblack51
07-29-2002, 09:41 PM
the original xbox drive wont read most cdr disks, and is finiky about everything else. if you are only going to use homebrew or backups, then you replace the old drive with a regular pc drive and you get full compatibility with whatever media the pc drive can handle.

KRavEN
07-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Well put MrBlack. =]

It's also a 16x drive so it loads games much faster.

And finally....Just because I can =]

BTW: That's mine. Had to figure it out from a vague german site on it. =]

Silverdude
07-31-2002, 07:51 PM
Do you think adding a modchip will allow the new drive to play xbox games?

mrblack51
07-31-2002, 08:02 PM
ok, a modchip is a completely seperate deal from the drive replacement.

drive replacement: allows you the xbox to properly read any xbox media that the new drive supports, and increases speed of reading to whatever the new drive can go at. This does not change the xbox's ability to play backups or homebrews, just its ability to read various media. the new drive means that the xbox will not recognize original xbox media anymore.

modchip: allows the xbox to run backups and homebrew apps. this has no effect on what media the xbox can recognize.

the combination allows you to run your backups and homebrew apps on whatever media you want, but means you cant run original games anymore. as stated before, this mod is only to increase read speeds and media compatibility, nothing else

Juppers
07-31-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm going the other direction. Going to install a bigger drive and just play everything from there. I figure it'll save me a bunch on DVD blanks. And if I do use DVDs, they will just be to archive compressed games I'm not interested in currently. That way I can fit several on one DVD.

Wow this stuff is fun. :)