PDA

View Full Version : DVD-R Media

furor_fighter
08-01-2002, 06:41 AM
I know this is a little off topic but I'm looling for DVD-R media recommendations. Pricing/Quility and any lessons learned. Thanks.

TheDoctor
08-01-2002, 09:37 AM
If money is not a problem stick to name brands. The Comp-USA house brands seem about as good as any. Price $5-15 all work about the same.

Single generic boxed disk go for $2-5 dollars and I have never had problems with the ones I tried. I can't locate the order info the the site I got that order from.

Otherwise buy in bulk. Price $1.25-2 in lots of 30 to 100. A lot of the no name bulk media is in fact media that was intended for a name brand, but that failes quality control checks. This is generally because of uneven dye distribution on the disks. Often the disk will still work fine. The last batch of 100 I got all seem to work fine (they were intended as Kodac disks), but the batch of 30 I got before that mostly had problems, (there was a band of discoloration about 60% of the way into the disk. This sometimes caused the recorder to abort recording and sometimes seemed to record, but hung up on playback.) Most of the disount sites say that you can return bad media for replacement, I have not bundled them up yet to try that. A quick review of the web sites that I had marked as potential suppliers 6 months ago, show that a some of them are out of bussiness.

For bulk sales you might try http://store.yahoo.com/cd-recordable-dot-com/10047dvdisfo.html I have gotten lots of error free media from them, and also some unusable media. They are the only group that I have purchesed from in bulk. I will be sending back some media shortly to see if they honor their replacement promise.

furor_fighter
08-01-2002, 10:00 AM
I have not had problems with media, but I have just used the pioneer media 5 pack that came as apromotion with my drive. I just bought 2 x 45 packs of Princo 4.7GB DVD-R Media. They where 2.22 dollars a piece and seem to be good media. Pearl top (printable). I'll let you know how they turn out.

POTI
08-02-2002, 10:41 AM
www.meritline.com...I have burned 300+ of the dvdpro's for $1.05 and only had 1 bad one..it was horribly scratched from shipping...

www.supermediastore.com also another good supplier...dont buy into the usa made crap..the usa made dvd-r disks are poor quality.