PDA

View Full Version : outsite the US and UK

Lure
06-29-2001, 04:26 AM
Bought a Tivo in Philladelphia and brought it home to the Netherlands. yes I know: no tivo service here-)

i'm only intrested in live video cam input. I'm a sports coach and want to use the instant replay features to analyse movements on the spot.

Didn't get far in accomplishing this (YET) but here my achivment sofar:
* found a solution for the locked drives. Yep I got one-)(dlgchk.exe)
* made a virgin backup to a single file, safety first before I start hacking the thing, I used a blesstivo 3.0 floppydisk (msg if you want my experience/help on this subject)
* rebuild my tivo and connected it. Output works fine to my TV even though it is PAL standard.

And this Is where I got stuck. The Tivo wants to make to calls to the US to get de channels information. Sure I think I can do that but I wonder is there is'nt a hack that wil tell my tivo that it already done this and that there is only one channel that receives live video feed from a camera.

Next step wil be the PAL input problem but I also have a US system cam here, so I'll first stick to that-)

Ok that's it for the moment: i'll edit this message when I found a solution but ( ofcouse) don't hessitate to give me some clues-)
I usually have a quick solution...but I usually can't afort it

Vadim
06-29-2001, 08:51 AM
I think tivo will not give up, until you go through guide setup. If you make it call US still not that bad if only for like 15 minutes right?

Lure
06-29-2001, 03:58 PM
No, 15 minuts calling to the US is not the problem, I just want to hack it. and...if I want something....

Anyway, I thought we could use this forum to explore hacks and spread info on "forbidden" tivo subjects-) so lets HACK IT ( if we can):D

Vadim
06-29-2001, 04:00 PM
talk about anything you want, I will not censor it out!

Lure
06-29-2001, 04:12 PM
thx for hosting this board! I like freedom..even if it's your freedom to sensor me-):rolleyes:

Dinosaur
06-29-2001, 07:47 PM
Hi Lure

Add the variable SETUP_BYPASS=1 to the boot parameters to bypass guided setup.

The following script will add a single channel to the TiVo, run it and connect the video camera to the A/V input of the TiVo...
(I didn't write it but I've used it)

!/tvbin/tivosh
#
# Create a Line-In Source
# (c) 2000, Ricky Beam [cramer]
#
# "If you break it, you own all the peices."
#
source $tcl_library/tv/Inc.itcl
source $tcl_library/tv/mfslib.tcl

set db [dbopen]
transaction {

set setup [db $db open /Setup]

# Create a Station Reference for the channel menu(s)
puts "Creating Station: A/V"
set station [db $db create Station]
dbobj $station set CallSign "A/V"
dbobj $station set Name "Composite Input"
dbobj $station set Affiliation TiVo

# [here's the Real Magic(tm)]
#
# Create a new Input SignalSource
# -- SignalType 5 == CableBox
#
# -- Connector 3 == Composite In
# -- Connector 5 == S-Video In
#

puts "Creating SignalSource A/V"
set source [db $db createsub SignalSource $setup]
dbobj $source set ProviderName "TiVo A/V In"
dbobj $source set SignalType 5
dbobj $source set Connector 3
dbobj $source set RFChannel 2
dbobj $source set CableBoxCodeNum 0
dbobj $source set LineupType 0
dbobj $setup add Source $source

#
# And then create a channel pointing to the previously
# creates source...
#
# (Record 0 means it doesn't show up as a recoding source...
# tune to it before adding a Manual Recording.)
#
puts "Creating channel 99"
set channel [db $db createsub Channel $setup]
dbobj $channel set Station $station
dbobj $channel set Number 99
dbobj $channel set SourceIndex 1
dbobj $channel set Surf 0
dbobj $channel set Favorite 0
dbobj $channel set Record 0
dbobj $source add Channel $channel
}
dbclose $db
unset db

event send 23 16 0
puts "Done"

puts "\n"
puts "You will see messages from the daily update complaining about not"
puts "being able to find/update the Line-up. It will ask you to repeat"
puts "Guided Setup. IGNORE THIS. /tvlib/tcl/dynLineup.tcl is creating"
puts "that message because it doesn't have complete data for the new"
puts "input source."
puts "\n"

puts "If the new input isn't available, REBOOT your Tivo."
sync

# end of script

Lure
06-30-2001, 08:06 AM
WOW

I didn't expect such a fast and complete reply. I'm now behind my pc but need to got to work in a minut-( can't wait to try this.

one more question, should I take the disk out and put it in a pc and boot from a linux flop? sounds logic to me.

I'll keep you updated for the result.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dinosaur
06-30-2001, 11:17 AM
Hi Lure,

No, you just need a bash prompt from a linux (or windoze I guess) box from your pc to the Tivo, get the script over to the TiVo (I'm linux and would use mincom and zmodem) and just run it. See the Hack FAQfor the boot parms stuff.
There's no rocket science to this, you could have figured it out from the other board (I did :) ). You may need a "virgin" set up, creating multiple /setup (s) can mess up the TiVo big time (been there, done that)

If you don't have a backup (I seem to remember you do?) make one now, I've needed mine more than once, if you've got a backup you can try anything!!!)

You will get there, I promise you, I have done this stuff, it's easy!
I'm just waiting to get on to the fun stuff

happy days

Dino

Lure
07-01-2001, 03:36 AM
well guys, i still didn't blew up the Tivo. since the next step for me was to get a bash prompt i'll now give you the info on how I did that.

first of all: I'm a newbie in linux, I didn't have any experience before I started to hack this darn TIVO. BUT like dinosaur said:"You will get there, I promise you, I have done this stuff, it's easy!" I must also say: " don't start crying, start searching, it is easy but you need to read faq's and stuff."

But I promise that after I get where I want with this TIVO i will document it the best way I can. for now here's getting a BASH PROMPT.

first of all: what the hack is a BASH PROMPT. I knew wat a PROMPT was but what is this BASH word in front of it. Well I stumbled over the full word but didn't copy it: next time I wil copy it to here-) anyway: getting a bash prompt means that you can type commands that will change the tivo the way to want. Remember the dos prompt? ( like A:/) well this is the same. in my terminal progam(hyperTerminal from Windows) it looks like this: " bash-2.02#"

secondly, after following steps 1-5 below I got a warning saying: " EXT2-fs warning, running e2fsch is recomended" .... Still didn't figure out what it means. anyway I could only conclude that it had to do with my locked drive. I putted in a bootable flop with the dlgchk.exe on it and rebooted. Now my drive size was reported correctly so I guese I needed to do that anyway. after running dlgchk.exe that I still got a warning:" EXT2-fs warning, mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsch is recommended"

I decided to continue anyway, and I must conclude that that was ok. here the full story:

Bash via Dylan's Boot Disk
This method requires you removing your A-drive. Again be sure that you are ready to do this. There is just as much risk here, if not more, as adding a hard drive. This process allows you to use the JOE on Dylan's boot disk to edit the config file containing the boot parameters. Replace hdX below with the following: hdb (primary slave); hdc (secondary master); hdd (secondary slave).

1. Power down your TiVo

2. Open up TiVo using a #10 Torx screwdriver. Remove the A-Drive from the unit.

3. Install the A-Drive as a primary slave, secondary master, or secondary slave inside your PC. Make appropriate jumper settings for the time being if needed!

4. With Dylan's Boot Disk, boot this PC.

type after the login:" root "
then a "#" appears

5. Type mount /dev/hdX4 /mnt (see note above)

6. Type joe /mnt/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

7. Add the following text to the bottom of this rc.sysinit file:
/bin/bash </dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &

8. Press control-k, and then separately press X.

9. Type umount /mnt

10. Repeat steps 5-9 using mount /dev/hdX7 /mnt for step 5
This is done because your TiVo has two possible locations where this file is located. Why not modify both while you're here?

11. Power down the PC, remove the TiVo drive, reset jumpers if needed, and reinstall to TiVo.

12. Connect the DSS serial cable, the null modem adaptor, and the gender changer to a COM (usually 1 or 2) port on your PC. Connect the other end to TiVo.

13. Set the terminal program to listen to the appropriate COM port, 9600 Baud, 8 data bits, No parity, 1 stop bit (9600 8N1).

14. Power up your TiVo. During the two TiVo-guy splash screens (yes, there are two) you should see a linux-like bash prompt appear on your terminal program.
Bashp prompt in my windows hyperterminal says:
bash:no job control in this shell
bash-2.02#

This means success! You're now free to move about the file-system. This shell runs as a process concurrent with the MyWorld program. This means you can leave or return to the terminal program as needed. Simply disconnect/connect using the appropriate settings, and press enter after connected to "refresh" the terminal. You do not need to reboot TiVo every time you want to use the shell.

to be continued

:D :D :D :D :D
I know where I want to go, I wish the way was clear[B]

Lure
07-03-2001, 01:18 AM
pffff, It's beautyfull.

I get in to bash prompt and diagnostic mode

still i'm getting nowhere, somebody needs to spell it out to me-(

I got the text of a script to set up one channel for live cam input. do I need to make a file out of that? what name? can it be made with notepad...will linux accept that format?

In wat directory do I put is on de tivo...and how do I activate it.

Seems that my linux digibeet status is playing up now. suddenly all the info that I need and that seems vital to me to do this yob is not to be found. I concluded that this is becourse it is too obvious to the linux users.

hate to admit it but: somebody help me out, please.......

surgeon
07-03-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Lure
pffff, It's beautyfull.

I get in to bash prompt and diagnostic mode

still i'm getting nowhere, somebody needs to spell it out to me-(

I got the text of a script to set up one channel for live cam input. do I need to make a file out of that? what name? can it be made with notepad...will linux accept that format?

In wat directory do I put is on de tivo...and how do I activate it.

Seems that my linux digibeet status is playing up now. suddenly all the info that I need and that seems vital to me to do this yob is not to be found. I concluded that this is becourse it is too obvious to the linux users.

hate to admit it but: somebody help me out, please.......

Yes, you can create the one-channel script in notepad (just cut & paste from msg above) -BUT- you must convert it into UNIX formated text before sending it to the TiVo. Use the DOS2UNIX utility found below:

http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/51438.html

Next -- and this is *very* important -- you must insure that you name the new script as cryptically as possible for it to run under Linux... Whatever you do don't name it something like "Create One-Channel Lineup" or anything close to that as that would violate all the Linux rules!!! Instead you *must* name it something such that no one would be able to tell what it is from the name alone, like "1c" or "c1" -- WHATEVER NAME YOU CHOOSE SHOULD CONTAIN NO MORE THAN TWO CHARACTERS!!! (This is a direct quote from a Linux Rulebook).

Now that you have your (cryptically-named) file and a bash prompt under HyperTerminal, do a "cd /var" to get to the var directory, which is already set to r/w. Now type "rz" to start a zmodem receive session and then click on the send-file menu in HyperTerminal & send the file. Now you must enable the new file to be executiable, so do a "chmod 777 fn" replacing the fn with your own fn. (Remember, being cryptic is manditory!) Now we must add to the path because the friggin world would end if not for the security feature in Linux which refuses to execute files unless they are in the PATH, so type "PATH=.:$PATH" to phuck that little feature right in it's arse...

If you followed the rules; got you upper-lower case right; studied your 777's; phucked your PATH's; you should now be able to finally exec the script by typing it's fn...

Hope this helps...

-Surgeon-

NOTE: To convert the above information into a format readable by a true linux guru simply remove all vowels and punctuation; shorten the remaining groups of letters to 2 or less via truncation; then remove the carriage-returns...

TIVOGUY
07-03-2001, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Dinosaur
Hi Lure

Add the variable SETUP_BYPASS=1 to the boot parameters to bypass guided setup.

# end of script

Dinosaur,

How do I add this to the boot parameters?

This is exactly what I am looking for; all I want to do is use my SA Philips 312 30 hr. unit as a VCR.

JOE

Lure
07-03-2001, 04:28 PM
Okido tivoguy: Finally one question I can answer-)

first make sure you can get a bash prompt via a serial cabel. there is a description of that earlier in this tread.

1 start your terminal program (I use hyperterminal) make sure the serial cabel is connected correctly and the settings are right.

2. reboot your TIVO ( pull the plug and stick it in again)

3. hit "enter" directly when de TIVO logo shows. In the terminal Window it asks now verify:

4. type the password to enter the secret diagnostic mode.... most cases this password is "factory"

5. now tekst rolls in and press "X" to see al menu options.

6. press "P" and change the boor parameters to:
root=/dev/hda7 shondss=true SETUP_BYPASS=1
( it's wise to write down the original boot paramters

7. hit "enter"

8. press "b" to boot

if you don't have a bash prompt yet read section 4.6 at
http://tivo.samba.org/index.cgi?req=all

what I described above is section 4.4 on the same page. it worked for me with version 2.02 of the Tivo software

Giving a hand is just as much fun as getting a hand. ( I hate the blood and pain though)

Lure
07-03-2001, 04:59 PM
surgeon, you said:

so do a "chmod 777 fn" replacing the fn with your own fn. (Remember, being cryptic is manditory!) Now we must add to the path because the friggin world would end if not for the security feature in Linux which refuses to execute files unless they are in the PATH, so type "PATH=.:$PATH" to phuck that little feature right in it's arse...

I placed the file c1 (no extension) in /var. but you overestimated my linux knolledge again-)

is this right?
bash-2.02# cd /var
bash-2.02# rz
BB0BB0BB0BB0BB0c0000000a87c000023be50
rz: c1 removed.
BB0BBbash-2.02#

should I type " chmod 777 c1" ? think I start reading the linux pages again. This is something I need to figure out.

ah chmod with numbers has to do with permissions. so chmod 777 c1 should do the trick I guess...wel I have a back up so...here we go

and here we are again...Just as I thought...c1 removed... should I unlock the drive in the diagnostic mode? or something....

hopefully I can edit this message and end with a smilley soon-)

Dinosaur
07-03-2001, 06:58 PM
Just a test, my posting was broken last night for some reason, checking again. Pls Ignore

Dinosaur
07-04-2001, 01:04 AM
Okay, postings working, here goes.

Lure, first off, Surgeon's joking (at least I *think* he is!) when he says that file names are limited to two chars. You might think they are but they aren't. You really should try to do a little reading on Linux, it'll save you a lot of grief. Maybe you could even get a free linux distro and set up a dual boot machine.

(surgeon, generally I agree with your comments on the (needless) crypticism of linux, but it's not fair to misinform the uninformed! :-) )

I don't use HyperTerminal (HT), I use minicom, a linux program that does the same sorts of things, in that I use sz (send using zmodem protocol)(not at the bash prompt, from a control key sequence, its probably on some menu somewhere in HT). I select the file(s) I want to send then hit enter to start the send (there's probably an ok button or something in windows). This automatically starts an rz (receive using zmodem) on the TiVo and the file shoots across. Boom!

Also, the path stuff is not strictly necessary, you can do
cd /var (if that's not already your current directory) and then prefix the script name (c1 in your case) with ./ to run it, ie type ./c1 at the prompt.

Yes, chmod 777 changes the file to executable, use it whenever you get "permission denied" when trying to run something.

Good luck and by the way, I've never tried any of this stuff at V2.0 of the software, for a project I'm working on I need a 2 hour live cache, which is only possible in V1.3 so I can't upgrade. (My hacking TiVo never goes near a phone)

Dino

Lure
07-05-2001, 04:11 AM
Thx dinosaur,

I made it through al the commands but with no succes.
I got the "permission denied" message uses chmod777 and types ./filenaam again. had no other error messages so I guess the script was run ( should there be a conformation?)

Anyway the channel was not to be found in the menu of the Tivo. i tried it a copple of times en rebooted a copple of times but... with out finding the channel. ( suppose it should be channel 99 acording to the script text)

any sugestions?
like: Is downgrading an option...my Tivo had 2.02 installed so that's also on the backup-) could I put a backup of 1.3 on it? if I had one-)
or: would i have an advantage and is there a way go get a channel manual set through the dylan bootdisk (getting the disk out and putting it in a pc again)

ANYWAY thanks to all that have contributed that I got this far-) ( even surgeon)
having a wife doesn't mean that you get laid automaticly ( is there an analog with owning a tivo in this?

BTW, I installed REDHAT 7.1...I won't be a linux digibeet forever

surgeon
07-05-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Lure
any sugestions?
like: Is downgrading an option...my Tivo had 2.02 installed so that's also on the backup-) could I put a backup of 1.3 on it? if I had one-)

I'm sorry if my stabs at Linux confused you, but the step-by-step method I provided should have allowed you to properly execute the file you wanted... I have never played with the script you're trying to run, so how effective it is I have no ideal...

Reverting to 1.3 would require an image of another system, but would work fine on yours...