View Full Version : Subscription hack and logs

06-29-2001, 05:35 PM
By setting the tivo using the servicestate hack, wouldn't we need to add a script that will automatically delete the usage logs? If they are automatically deleted after a certain amount of time, then great, but otherwise, the logs would start piling up pretty quick.

06-29-2001, 11:34 PM
Should be easy enough to symlink them to /dev/null and then never worry about them again

06-30-2001, 12:09 AM
what is the proper syntax for that call?
will i have to add that call to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to make it stay beyond reboots?
will i have to use chattr to prevent the changes from being overwritten?

I'm using this and a few other projects to try and get my feet wet with linux, so please excuse the newbieness.

06-30-2001, 12:38 AM
No a symlink is permanent. Unless a Tivo upgrade wipes it out.
ln -s /dev/null <log name>

06-30-2001, 11:57 AM
/tvbin/TClient is what runs the daily calls, you could add to this a sub that either deletes the log or rotates it and gzips it. Should be a simple and worth while hack.

We could also set an enviroment variable in rc.sysinit that causes the hack above to preserve logs or rotate logs for easier debugging purposes.

06-30-2001, 01:19 PM
This is not my script, but it looks like it should work in the short term. I would like to see an implementation of the rotating logs script, especially with the possibility of using ethernet on the DTivo.

while (1) {

rm /var/tmp/*log
sleep 300

07-01-2001, 10:19 AM

chattr +i /var/hack/tivoLog.pub.gz

prevent the tivo from uploading updated information?

07-02-2001, 10:02 AM
Ok you can try this to rotate logs.

Paths and filenames will have to be checked/changed. Dont have a Tivo in front of me.

You can make this a seperate executable and call it in /tvbin/TClient before it dials out. Or it can be added to the jPag script.

-----Cut here--------

#! /bin/bash
if [ -f /var/log/filename ] ; then
cd /var/log
if [ -f filename.6.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.6.gz filename.7.gz ; fi
if [ -f filename.5.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.5.gz filename.6.gz ; fi
if [ -f filename.4.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.4.gz filename.5.gz ; fi
if [ -f filename.3.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.3.gz filename.4.gz ; fi
if [ -f filename.2.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.2.gz filename.3.gz ; fi
if [ -f filename.1.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.1.gz filename.2.gz ; fi
if [ -f filename.0.gz ] ; then mv -f filename.0.gz filename.1.gz ; fi
cp -pf filename filename.0