PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway I can record without going through the hard drive upgrade

chocolix
08-13-2002, 09:10 AM
I know NOTHING about Linux, well not enough to be doing all of what it takes, to complete the hard drive update, is there a simpler way to get it to record?

groundhog
08-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Theres kind-of a half-assed fix for standalones to get them to record. With the Direct Tv units, you're kinda stuck with the whole process of the extreme fix. Actually, your lucky extreme exists. I had to read for about 4 weeks & have a stack of 100 pages of threads that I had to reasearch to fix my tivo prior to extreme.

P.S. You may want to clarify the type of unit you have and what your trying to do. IMHO Most people here are agaist trying to fix your tivo to avoid a sub to Tivo. Many like to fix thier tivo's to be compatable with some "Hobbies" related to direct tv. Maybe it's a double standard & maybe some fixes unfortunately involve avoiding the need to sub to Tivo...but I always suggest to keep at least one unit subed so that Tivo can get their fare share of revenue.

chocolix
08-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Well I have one subbed, and the other one I am trying to get it to record, their both Hughes TIVO's with Directv...

groundhog
08-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Well. Maybe you'll have some luck with your thread in the For Sale Forum. You may want to see my post in a similar thread in that same forum:

CLICK HERE (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15982)

I don't know if someone will sell you a hacked drive alone. People here try to encourage others to learn to hack themselves rather than pay for someone elses work. But..if you do have some luck, in my opinion, you're going to need how to figure out how to get your prom flashed first(once again see the thread link). It's not that hard to install extreme and make it work to the point where it flashes your prom. At that point you won't be able to fake phone calls or anything, but it will allow you to drop another hacked hard drive in there and move forward. You don't even need to get to the point where you use bash or anything. All it takes is some basic knowledge of how to add a hard drive(from the Hinsdale guide) & following the Extreme 2.5 readme.

chocolix
08-13-2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks groundgog, now that I know how to do, I can change them out, but when i did it Sunday, the cpu screen remained black, and wouldn't even go into dos mode, guess i'll keep reading it...