PDA

View Full Version : Recording music channels

scarabus
08-19-2002, 11:09 PM
While hunting around for shows of interest TiVo alerted me to a live broadcast by the band Starsailor. Cool - I saw them live and got the lead singer's autograph.

It's on Tuesday at 4:30 PM on channel 820 (or 802 or whatever). Obviously I won't be in, but that's what TiVo is for, right?

Funny, TiVo won't let me schedule it. Okay, I'll do it manually. Nope - you can't record music channels "at this time". :mad:

Now my bet is that a music channel is exactly the goddamn same as a video channel - why wouldn't it be - but TiVo won't let me record it because of some funky agreement with DefectTV.

So is there already a script along the lines of noppv.tcl that will fool TiVo into thinking that channel 820 (or 802 or whatever) is a regular channel? Or did I just accidentally volunteer for something?

If it makes a difference I don't use Extreme apart from the prom flash to stop TiVo from trashing my Turbonet install.

kilroy
08-19-2002, 11:12 PM
I believe this topic has been discussed before. Try a search...

scarabus
08-19-2002, 11:49 PM
My original search showed up a few threads with minimal responses and a couple of threads on what appeared to be other topics with literally hundreds of responses; nothing obvious.

Having skimmed through the loong topics both here and in the other boards the short answer is that music channels are flagged in a very different way to PPV channels. There's currently no way to flip the flag and have them treated as normal channels; it's been tried and didn't work. There's suggestions that it can be fixed by tinkering with some of the TiVo internals but it looks like nobody has been brave or bored enough to do it.

It was and maybe still is possible to fool TiVo into recording an audio channel by setting up a keyword wishlist. The streams are believed to be extractable. I'm going to give it a shot.

The reason that music channels aren't recordable is believed to stem from a contractual issue between DefectTV and the music providers, MusicChoice. Consequently DTV told TiVo not to record the music channels, so like good little chaps they did not and nobody has enough interest to go out and fight this issue.

Oh, and some people would like ponies.

rd001
08-20-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm very interested in this topic. Please post any applicable source code or info you have.

Perplexer
08-20-2002, 11:10 AM
I've played with the wishlist method for recording audio: Set up a wishlist, auto-record wishlist programs. Works fine for playback, but vsplit doesn't much like the file.

However, this method is really only useful for special events or unique keywords (i.e. if I set up a wishlist for "Sounds of the Season," my to-do list is extremely cluttered)

I too would be interested in the flag to change audio-only channels into "normal" channels.

kurjiboo
06-02-2003, 01:02 AM
I have experimented with this a little. There seem to be 4 important parts to a channeldefinition:
1) stream type - 3 for audio, 2 for most everything else
2) Frequency - probably transponder, a number 0-31
3) Spi - ??? generally 127 for music, 1 for everything else
4) Scid - Service Channel Identification, between 0 and 4095

other crap like language, number of streams, etc dont really matter, but do confuse tivo a little.

you can tune to a channel you dont like or use and start recording it and then replace the 4 critical parts with those from a music channel. To find the channeldefinition, go to the channel guide in tivoweb and select the channel you want. in the url window in your browser, change the word channel to object and add 1 to the number after that word. then hit enter and click on the channeldefinition link.

as soon as you update a parameter, tivo notices. So you don't have to tell it to change channels when you mess with the channeldefinition. However, it keeps recording, even though it shouldn't. this isn't an elegant solution, but it works.

kurjiboo
06-02-2003, 03:36 AM
I would like to point out that as of right now, this method is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.
Current extraction software dies working with audio-only streams. Even the tivo doesn't allow you to properly seek though the audio when playing it back. Therefore, the only way to get the audio is to play from the beginning of the recording and record the tivo's output, so you might as well record it when you hear it the first time. I don't want to dampen efforts to make recording audio easier. It would be great if the authors of the extraction programs could consider taking a look at this problem. Sorry, I can't provide sample streams right now on crappy dialup:mad:

wolfhound
02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Has anyone made any progess on this portion of the Series 1 Hack?
I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks that this would be a great option to have.

djohn
02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Search for sonoshift information posted by AlphaWolf. There are patches and scripts that will help you out.

wolfhound
02-11-2004, 04:57 PM
djohn,

Thanks. I did a search for AlphaWolf and many pages of posts came back.
Could not find a thing under sonoshift. Any posts in paricular that you can point me to by chance?

Thanks.

wolfhound
02-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Djohn,

Sorry about the previous post. I found it. Thanks again for your help.

swspjcd
01-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Is Sonoshift still in development? I did do a search and can't find the scripts anywhere? Do posts expire or do my searching skills just bite? I seem to remember awhile ago the forum crashing or something. Could the posts and files have not been recovered? Any chance someone can repost the sonoshift scripts and/or binaries?
Feeling kinda silly that I can't find it,
John

hayreass
01-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Is Sonoshift still in development? I did do a search and can't find the scripts anywhere? Do posts expire or do my searching skills just bite? I seem to remember awhile ago the forum crashing or something. Could the posts and files have not been recovered? Any chance someone can repost the sonoshift scripts and/or binaries?
Feeling kinda silly that I can't find it,
John

Look HERE (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137146&postcount=1)