PDA

View Full Version : Win XP and Tivo upgrading

Steve_Neal
08-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Newbie here

I've just upgraded PCs from a Win 98 Tosh P120 Laptop (with dead CD-ROM) to an Athlon 1800 based system running Windows XP Home edition. I am based in the UK - and have just bought a UK Thomson Tivo.

AIUI I will need to remove the HD from the Tivo and attach it to my PC to perform some of the backup and upgrade processes. However my PC HD is formatted with NTFS - not FAT or FAT32. I notice that all of the guides to using Boot Discs mention that a FAT HD must be installed - presumably because the mini Linux that you boot into doesn't recognise NTFS formats?

Any advice? I'm an ex-video engineer - and used to write lowish level firmware for a living. Perfectly happy wielding a soldering iron (though hate doing anything surface mount related) to make cables etc. However I am not a Windows or Linux expert - and don't want to trash my PC or Tivo!

I do have a CD-RW drive in my PC.

My aim is to get a TurboNet card to allow me to connect my Tivo to my ADSL router to get updates over broadband, and also hopefully run TivoWeb to allow me to schedule recordings when not at home! I am sure I will pretty soon want to upgrade the hard drives, and if posssible tweak the recording format from 540x576 to 720x576 if possible - as the other factor in going for Tivo was my annoyance at the poor quality of VHS and S-VHS composite/s-video recording when watching RGB DSat and DTT broadcasts.

Any advice about configuration of an ADSL Router for Tivo use? (Dlink DSL 504 with Demon - when they get round to connecting me... Possibly with a static IP address from my ISP)

superzap
08-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Yes, NTFS partition not good for mfstool backups. What I would do is get another HD, format to FAT32 (max 32GB), put on a spare IDE channel.

It is also possible to install XP on a FAT32 partition (that's what I did). You can have additional NTFS partitions on the HD but make sure the FAT32 is the first (like hda1 designation).

Steve_Neal
08-24-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by superzap
Yes, NTFS partition not good for mfstool backups. What I would do is get another HD, format to FAT32 (max 32GB), put on a spare IDE channel.

It is also possible to install XP on a FAT32 partition (that's what I did). You can have additional NTFS partitions on the HD but make sure the FAT32 is the first (like hda1 designation).

Thanks for this. How would you recommend I go about this? Do I connect a new, gash, HD as a second drive on the primary IDE bit, format it as FAT32 and then disconnect the NTFS one? Would I be OK leaving the NTFS one in situ, but be able to tell MFSTools to ignore it? Would I be better off installing Linux on the new HD? Will XP be happy to install on a second hard drive? (I have recovery CDs that came with the PC and I presume these contain XP)

I am very new to XP, and have only been a Windows user under Win 98. I used to be pretty technical - I wrote 8 bit machine code for yonks - but the world does seem to have changed!!

superzap
08-24-2002, 12:26 PM
Leave your NTFS drive alone. Just open your pc and look at the IDE cables. Hopefully both the primary and secondary cables have 2 connectors, if not, you'll need to replace the cable(s). Install the 2nd drive on either making sure the drive jumpers are set correctly (usually CS-cable select works ok).
Boot up XP and it should automatically recognize the new drive. Go to My Computer in Explorer, right click and select Manage. From the Computer Management panel select Disk Management. From there you should see the new drive and you can partition it and format to FAT32.
Now you'll be able to use the new drive for both linux and windows files. You mount the drive to linux by, for example if it is on primary slave, mount /dev/hdb1 /mountpoint. Now you should have one spare IDE connector for the TiVo drive. If you need to install 2 TiVo drives, you'll need to juggle the connectors around and disconnect the XP drive or CDROM. But remember that most of the linux software we use for TiVo drives isn't able to access the TiVo drive on primary-master.

Steve_Neal
08-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by superzap
Leave your NTFS drive alone. Just open your pc and look at the IDE cables. Hopefully both the primary and secondary cables have 2 connectors, if not, you'll need to replace the cable(s). Install the 2nd drive on either making sure the drive jumpers are set correctly (usually CS-cable select works ok).
Boot up XP and it should automatically recognize the new drive. Go to My Computer in Explorer, right click and select Manage. From the Computer Management panel select Disk Management. From there you should see the new drive and you can partition it and format to FAT32.
Now you'll be able to use the new drive for both linux and windows files. You mount the drive to linux by, for example if it is on primary slave, mount /dev/hdb1 /mountpoint. Now you should have one spare IDE connector for the TiVo drive. If you need to install 2 TiVo drives, you'll need to juggle the connectors around and disconnect the XP drive or CDROM. But remember that most of the linux software we use for TiVo drives isn't able to access the TiVo drive on primary-master.

Thanks Super. So can I confirm that I should be OK to install a new HD as my primary slave, format it as FAT 32 from XP, and then disconnect my primary master? Presumably I don't need a bootable XP image on my master to be installed, and can boot into Linux straight from CD? Do I need to move the new drive to be primary master, or will my PC cope with just a primary slave?

Sorry if this is all basic stuff and I am coming over as stupid!

Ta in advance.