PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest way to use a stand alone tivo with hacked DTV

q1m7ot001
08-23-2002, 06:46 PM
What is the safest way to use a stand alone tivo with hacked DTV
running a HU card. What recievers would work best also ?

I have a lifetime subscribed stand alone tivo that I use with my
cable, but am afraid to add direct tv because I don't have a
subscription to direct tv. What is my safest option to use this
tivo and direct tv.

superzap
08-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Get a DirecTV receiver that has a direct serial port to connect to TiVo serial port for changing channels.
FAQ regarding stand-alone TiVo and DirecTV:
Yes they work together, even with a test card or emulation.
Are your viewing habits safe? Unknown currently, but TiVo assures that they lump viewing groups together and protect individual identities. If you're really paranoid, you can call TiVo and ask not to participate.

skunk720
08-25-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm Faced with the same scenario. Question: How importnat is the need for a serial port connection? Does it make controlling TIVO easier or more reliable? I attempted to use the "IR balsters" before and had terrible control over channel surfing.

Also, has there any reports on this forum about being busted by dave via TIVO's phone line connection? Most sources say that it is generally safe, But TIVO's privacy policy states that they may give out your personal info to your hardware manufacturer (Sony, Phillips) and to your service provider (Cable, Dish, DTV). When you request to be placed on the no tracking list, It doesn't track your viewing habits but your personal info might be divulged. At least thats the way I read it on their website.

groundhog
08-26-2002, 02:23 PM
I'm Faced with the same scenario. Question: How importnat is the need for a serial port connection? Does it make controlling TIVO easier or more reliable? I attempted to use the "IR balsters" before and had terrible control over channel surfing.

It's way more reliable. I used IR for a long time, and had a lot of problems. Also, you get overlap from the show on the channel right before the channel change, in each recording. Haven't had one single problem with seriel.

Also, has there any reports on this forum about being busted by dave via TIVO's phone line connection?

I have yet to see such a report. Even if one person claimed this, I would have to wonder if it was a post by dave. Seeing multiple posts of this sort, would make me nervous, but like I said....I've never seen such a report. Just 'Opt Out', and if your still paranoid, get a minimum sub to direct Tv, record a channel that your subd to, then use the direct tv remote to change the channel to a hacked channel. The tivo will still think that it's recording a legit channel.