PDA

View Full Version : adding lager drive

mookow76
08-28-2002, 03:13 PM
well first please bare with me cuz this is my first time dealing with linux and a tivo hack!!!

let me start off by stating what im dealing with:
philips pvt300
has 30gb hd now
trying to upgrade/replace 30gig to 80 gig
so im replacing my oem quantom to a maxtor
im using mftools v2(cd boot)
im running win2k with a fat32 partion on the pc (i have tried with a differant drive also (fat32 whole thing)
i have the pc's drive connected as primary master(disk1)...the tivo drive connected as secondary master (disk3) a cd/r on secondary slave..
theses are the steps im taking with no luck....
mkdir /mnt/dos (enter)
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/dos (enter)

(myfat partion is #2...keep in mind i did try just a fat32 drive also as hda1..i read the readme at the bottom of the page for win2kand xp users and it says that it would be cda5 but that tells me i must specify a file system??)

everything seems fine up till this part....
mfsbackup -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc (enter)

seems to back up fine up till about 60-70%...then stops doesnt do anything...my drives keep blinking and looks like its reading and writing but its not :(

could someone give me some optons or work around? maybe differant software? not sure kinda lost here...any help would be greatly appreciated here...
thank you
Moo

ps..... the reason i need to back this thing up is because i have a lifetime sub!!!!!!!dont want to lose this but if there is noway around it i pay for another lifetime sub...cant live without my tivo :p ....gotta record my simpsons!!!!!!!!

Lure
08-29-2002, 03:21 AM
pull your original drive out. save it somewhere.
get a backup from ftp.abs.net and install it to the 80Gb. learn al you need, mess up and do it again.

then when you finally know what you are doing, change drive permanently.

in the meanwhile search the forum: there is plenty of info on this. hindsdale has a HOWTO you wanna read. look for the sticky's on this forum

:D :D :D

groundhog
08-30-2002, 01:33 PM
Have you tried Tivo Mad I(&are you willing to lose your recordings)? The first version has been fully tested. Tivo Mad II is still somewhat new & even hinsdale claims that his instructions might need some furter revisions.

mookow76
08-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by groundhog
Have you tried Tivo Mad I(&are you willing to lose your recordings)? The first version has been fully tested. Tivo Mad II is still somewhat new & even hinsdale claims that his instructions might need some furter revisions.

dont care about the recordings....ill give it a try im going to go with lure's advive first....
sorry took so long to get back but i been very busy thanks to all...
great forum...

thanks again
Moo

will keep informed of progress :D

mookow76
08-31-2002, 08:25 AM
hey guys thanks for the links and advice got it up and running...i was able to get a dump from my drive....not going to touch the other drive for a couple of days though....oh well have a great weekend!!!
Moo