PDA

View Full Version : backup of orig drive

sqrl
09-02-2002, 09:37 AM
I have a drive that came out of a new dtivo. It has never been turned on. Is there a preoceedure or how to to make a useable backup of this drive. I have a need for the drive so would like to back it up first. The idea was to just leave it on the shelf and if ever needed could just be plugged in and get back to square one. Now I understand that this may not be workable because of the eprom updates ??? In any case I would like to make a backup either onto another hard drive or better yet to tape. It wouldnt even have to be compressed or packed as my tape unit is 30 gig per tape and could use two tapes. Any suggestions or advice please :) Thanks

groundhog
09-03-2002, 02:40 PM
Theres no reason not to make a compressed image, as it takes less time and less room. Here is the proceedure: http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/ Just go ahead and use MFS tools 1.1. You should be able to make a 130 meg backup. If you don't want that taking up space on your hard drive, you can move it to CD or your tape drive afterwards.

sqrl
09-03-2002, 06:56 PM
tHANKS GROUNDHOG. It worked great then transferred it to a cd
Ended up being only 20 megs. Hope its good.....

groundhog
09-04-2002, 01:50 PM
If it's an A Drive then 20 megs sounds way to small. My 40 gig virgin A drive was a 130 megs. If your backing up a B drive, the backup is useless. If you had a 2 drive unit, you need to make a backup from both drives into a single file. I'm not sure why you ended up with a 20 meg file? I would expect even a 14 hour tivo to result in around 100 megs.

groundhog
09-04-2002, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about a backup of a virgin drive. You can find almost any image you need here, if yours fails: ftp://ftp.abs.net/tivo/Backups/

satanbugg
09-06-2002, 05:50 PM
So are you saying that it is not necessary to back up the current drive in my tivo...I can just download a tivo image and copy it to a tivo drive to restore. if thats the case do i need to back up my current drive at all, or set aside the current drive incase some goes wrong with upgrade.

thank in advance

groundhog
09-06-2002, 07:13 PM
If your just setting your current drive aside, I don't know why you would back it up. It in itself is a backup. But if you are going to record over it, or use it for a different application, it wouldn't hurt to back it up. Backups are always recommended, but they're no longer required. We used to have to perform them, because people wouldn't share images, and backups were huge. With the compressed files being 130-200 meg, it's much easier to make & share them now. The only reason that you absolutely would need your own backup was if you hacked the unit, or wanted to keep all of your season pass info, etc. If you just need a backup of an unused Tivo, backups are pretty much readily available. So, if you can sucessfuly make the backup, go for it. But it you keep ending up with a 20 gig file, just download the appropriate file from the site link above.

P.S. direct Tv tivos with 2.5 software or above are a little harder to swap images. You need to do a "Clear and Delete Everything" to get the drive working properly. This might be another reason for making your own backup.

tederov
09-18-2002, 05:27 PM
I loaded the image from the site listed above for the DSR6000 two drive pup. It seems to have 2 PPV's on it. Any way to wipe those off?

BubbleLamp
09-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by tederov
I loaded the image from the site listed above for the DSR6000 two drive pup. It seems to have 2 PPV's on it. Any way to wipe those off?

PPV records are stored on your card, not the Tivo.

drspeed
09-23-2002, 12:11 AM
I downloaded the image file which included Extreme 2.5 for a new Phillips from ftp://ftp.abs.net/tivo/Backups/. So in order to hack tivo(live in Canada)all I have to do is
replace the image on my hard drive with the one I downloaded from this Ftp site.Is this correct.

groundhog
09-23-2002, 03:48 PM
all I have to do is
replace the image on my hard drive with the one I downloaded from this Ftp site.Is this correct.

No. You need to turn the image into a bootable CD image. Then you need to follow the 2.5 extreme how to instructions. You need to build a seriel cable & you need to do a search on "Touch" to find out how to make it work in Canada.....Or instead of using touch, you can use Kraven's update, but still need bash. To simplify....You need to do some more reading and searching.