PDA

View Full Version : Crypto update.

ZipWeep
06-30-2001, 10:47 AM
I'm not taking any credit from this hack, someone else on this site posted a link to this hack, I just post the information on this site. To update your serial number in the crypto chip do the following:

I'm not resposible for your actions.

I beleive this is illegal in USA.

to show:
crypto -gsn

to update your additional TiVo's
crypto -u -ssn "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your sub'd serial number

Enjoy, and please don't post this on AVS.

sir_lunatic
06-30-2001, 12:07 PM
This in effect allows you to clone the ID of another TIVO. This would allow more than one Tivo to download guide data under the same account.

Use your own judgement when doing this.

And yes this is illegal in the US. You would be stealing service.

Vadim
06-30-2001, 01:05 PM
That's right, use your own judgment. This is a useful hack for those with a dead lifetime tivo and who ever wants to transfer their account, they could use this.

racerx09
07-04-2001, 09:34 AM
ahhh, this is an older hack i believe,
the question is, will it work in version 2.01?

Vadim
07-04-2001, 12:31 PM
I beleive it should, if not it should run from 1.3, all you need is the executables. Anyone willing to try it? I have no use for this.

Tictoc
07-04-2001, 06:50 PM
Yes it works on 2.0.1. Great hack!

I only do it once since I am afraid Tivo will notice their guide data was being downloaded more than once with one s/n. Does Tivo keep of what every subscriber download? I think so, but I am not sure.

racerx09
07-05-2001, 07:22 AM
interesting, im guessing this is done through a bash promt?
will it loose this setting after a reboot?
all that you would need to do is let the other machine dial out
once a week. Might be a pain in the ass with software updates though.

Anyway, thanx for the info,
Lates, Racer

Tictoc
07-05-2001, 11:22 AM
Yes, via bash prompt, and no, the setting will stick after reboot.

Big Dump
07-06-2001, 07:50 AM
Well, if you have 2 tivos and want to share serials, here's how to do it without setting off a flag with tivo. First, we should all note that they do watch for units that call in more than once a day solely for the purpose of catching serial clones. This has been specifically stated by tivo over 6 months ago.

Get 2 sets of wireless phone jacks. The type that send the signal through the house electrical wiring. Connect them to digital plug in wall timers. (you will have to use an extention cord to connect them).

Now, set up timers for the modules that are connected to each tivo. Have tivo #1's phone jack stay on for sun-wed and tivo #2's jack on thurs-sat or something similar. We all know you can go 5 days without dialing in before a nag pops up, so this will be an automated way to have 2 units share the same serial without setting off any flags at tivo.

surgeon
07-08-2001, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Big Dump
Well, if you have 2 tivos and want to share serials, here's how to do it without setting off a flag with tivo.
<snip>
so this will be an automated way to have 2 units share the same serial without setting off any flags at tivo.

Oh, btw, you do know that each call your TiVo makes to the service also gets assigned a "transaction ID#", and that the prior "transaction ID#" is sent during the 'verifying service status' portion of the call. I believe that when they compare the prior# to their records and notice that they don't match for a few calls is when they set your service_state flag to "stolen"... which is a bad thing...

CyberMop
07-08-2001, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if setting the serial of a Standalone Tivo to the same on a DirecTivo will casue problems? The reason I am asking - if I change my serial on my DirecTivo to the same on my fried standalone with a lifetime service will it try to put the wrong software on my DirecTivo....:o

GuyIncognito
07-08-2001, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by CyberMop
Does anyone know if setting the serial of a Standalone Tivo to the same on a DirecTivo will casue problems? The reason I am asking - if I change my serial on my DirecTivo to the same on my fried standalone with a lifetime service will it try to put the wrong software on my DirecTivo....:o

Noooooooooo, don't do this! It will be very obvious to TiVo that your unit is not an SA. The software on a DirecTiVo is quite different from the software on an SA, even if they both claim to have '2.0.1' - look at the numbers after that.

If a DirecTiVo calls with an SA number it will just confuse the TiVo server and will cause the account to be suspended and then probably shut down once TiVo works out what happened.

CyberMop
07-08-2001, 02:53 PM
That is what i though - but did not think it would hurt to ask - thanks!

econmark
09-30-2002, 12:38 AM
If what surgeon (above) says is true, how can you have more than one Tivo running with the same SN? Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the serial number get flaged as "stolen"?

BubbleLamp
09-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by econmark
If what surgeon (above) says is true, how can you have more than one Tivo running with the same SN?

You don't!

groundhog
10-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Any chance that this would help to avoid the "Error 51" problem with backup restoration on a different Tivo?

AlphaWolf
11-26-2002, 10:34 AM
well...one could always figure that somebody could write some software to keep two tivos which are connected to the same ethernet network synchronized by passing back and forth the transaction ID#'s, and making sure that both tivos always have their logs erased prior to dialing out.

-or-

in the case of 3.0, pass around the decryption keys used to get the guide data from the discovery channel.

course I don't own SA tivos, and this information is very harmful, but I can't help but share my ideas.

CyberTiVo
11-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Is the serial # our service ID or the number on the bar code label on a chip near the hard drive bays?

CyberTiVo
11-29-2002, 10:09 AM
I failed to mention in the last post that my sub'ed TiVo is dead and I can not run the command to get my serial #.

psxjunky
12-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by CyberTiVo
Is the serial # our service ID or the number on the bar code label on a chip near the hard drive bays?

I would like to know this too. My SA TiVo is alove and kicking with a lifetime sub, but if it is NOT possible to get the serial number from a dead TiVo, I would like to get it right now while I can ... so that just in case my TiVo dies, I can get another one and transfer the sub to that TiVo.

Thanks !

TheDoctor
12-06-2002, 11:38 PM
It should be the same as the serial number on the back of the unit and the one on the barcode, unless your unit was refurbed or serviced. The number will not have the dashes the tag may have. The number should have 15 digits, with a few letters near the end. On an SA it will probably start with 002.

If you have not killed the system logs on the unit, you can look up the serial number there from the last time the unit booted successfully by mounting /var. Look in log/svclog on partition 9 for the 'TCD_ID=' entries.

psxjunky
12-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks Doctor ! The svclog TCD_ID seems to match with the serial number on the back of the unit.

Delta
12-10-2002, 04:03 PM
You can also log into tivo at https://www.tivo.com/manage/ and have them yell you what your S/N is, and then transfer it to the other tivo.

psxjunky
12-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Where can I find this Crypto program ? I know you can't post a link here, but if you can shoot me an e-mail (psxjunky@xemaps.com) or a PM, I would greatly appreciate it.

THX !

lmurray
12-10-2002, 05:00 PM
./tvbin/crypto on your tivo....

enjoy,
-lloyd-

psxjunky
12-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by lmurray
./tvbin/crypto on your tivo....

enjoy,
-lloyd-

Really ? So TiVo themselves give us this util :confused:

Thanks very much !

compwiz312
01-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if Tivo realized you were spoofing someone else's lifetime serial? Would you be able to change it to the correct one without them knowing? Would they break your tivo? What would happen?

compwiz312
01-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Anyone?

lmurray
01-08-2003, 10:23 AM
i've heard they hire a guy named "big tony". Big Tonys job is to hurt people that steal from tivo.....

again.. this is what I've heard.

Please use this "hack" to only transfer a lifetime sub from a dead unit. Stealing someone's lifetime sub is only going to piss tivo off. Then the next time tivo releases a new unit, it'll be locked up tight. (Or worse, tivo will go bellyup)

-lloyd-

TheDoctor
01-08-2003, 05:44 PM

sorewinner
01-10-2003, 12:42 PM
TiVo might yet go belly-up. Read this (http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/52477.htm). Depressing stuff, but who cares? Not me. Why? The last thought in that article:

And for 2004 a slew of manufactures are getting ready to launch stand-alone PVRs that don't require subscriptions and work just like VCRs.
Yee-haw!

Eh, but TiVo's bringing out HDTV-compatible units. [Read it here (http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=166).] I don't know which way to go... :D

FreydNot
01-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by sorewinner
TiVo might yet go belly-up. Read this (http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/52477.htm). Depressing stuff, but who cares? Not me. Why? The last thought in that article:

Who wants a PVR that works "just like a VCR"? Hasn't anyone used a TiVo? Why doesn't anyone seem to get it?

sorewinner
01-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love my TiVo, but there's nothing a TiVo can do that a D-VHS VCR (or even a plain-old VHS VCR, if you don't mind the lesser quality) and an online TV listings guide can't. TiVo just integrates the two. Everything else it does is superfluous.

At the end of the day, what is the purpose of it all? The archiving of TV shows and/or movies onto some sort of media. How you do it is just a matter of choice.

Hi8
01-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by sorewinner
Don't get me wrong. I love my TiVo, but there's nothing a TiVo can do that a D-VHS VCR (or even a plain-old VHS VCR, if you don't mind the lesser quality) and an online TV listings guide can't. TiVo just integrates the two. Everything else it does is superfluous.

At the end of the day, what is the purpose of it all? The archiving of TV shows and/or movies onto some sort of media. How you do it is just a matter of choice.

I think you should have said it the other way the only thing a Tivo and a (D)VHS VCR have in common is that they record A/V.

I have yet to see a (D)VCR have a DTV reciever, or all the selelective record based on conditonal pre-set user defined parameters. Or the ability to order PPV movies and record them.

oh, glad you mentioned the quality, that's enough reason to throw your VCR out right there!

JRENTERPRISE
01-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Can you tell me if this works on 3.0 and can I do it by removing the drive and putting it in a pc, and if so what mount?

rono
01-24-2003, 03:58 PM
can i change the serial # to a none tivo #

can i use a serial # from a regular rca ird?

is it posible to change the model # too?

c123
10-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know which chip is the serial number stored in? I would like to physically remove the chip before selling a damaged system board (no shell, no crypto) for parts/souvenir. Thanks.

cojonesdetoro
11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
This is bad.. I'm sure that the Tivo sends the SSN unencoded to the Tivo service. If someone can sniff your SN they can then do a 'Tivo idenity theft' and screw up your Tivo status. You would have to somehow prove that you own the Tivo with the SSN, and you are not stealing, to get your service re-instated.

I have two Tivos but I don't think I'm going to go anywhere near this... If I do, I'll make absolutely sure that only one tivo will 'dial in'. I'm sure if your switch off the Tivos very rarely that they won't catch it. people upgrade and swap drives a lot and are not cancelled.

cojonesdetoro
11-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Here's another problem. If you buy a Tivo from someone with 'lifetime sub' you have to trust that person to not keep the SN and start using it at some time in the future. You can sell a subbed Tivo on Ebay, then wait a few months and start using the SSN. If tivo catches on, then you lose the free service but so what? The person who bought your Tivo is the one screwed....

oh, this is soooo bad. I can't believe Tivo put the SN on a writable medium.... st00pid, st00pid, st00pid.

cojonesdetoro
11-05-2003, 11:41 PM
OMFG it's worse than I thought. A google search will turn up hundreds of Tivo SNs. Apparently there was some promotion at one time and people exchanged SN's via usenet to get a $50 reward.

this is reeeally bad!

Somebody please put this genie back in the bottle!

BubbleLamp
11-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
OMFG it's worse than I thought. A google search will turn up hundreds of Tivo SNs. Apparently there was some promotion at one time and people exchanged SN's via usenet to get a $50 reward.

this is reeeally bad!

Somebody please put this genie back in the bottle!

Not to sound dumb but, so far you seem to be the only one fretting over this. Have there been any reports about it being an issue? There was lots of talk about crypto stuff maybe two years ago, but I don't remember any mass rush to screw with it.

cojonesdetoro
11-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
you seem to be the only one fretting over this.

Well, maybe I over reacted... it just seems that it's too easy clone the SN.

Part of the value of a lifetime subbed Tivo is that it follows the unit. You can sell your subbed unit for more money than an unsubbed unit because of this. The idea that someone can now conterfeit a subbed unit so easily makes the aftermarket very suspect.

The other problem is that people unwittingly give out their SN's on public forums. What's to stop anyone from buying a cheap unsubbed unit on Ebay and applying a googled SN? Sure, the SN eventually gets flagged as stolen but the perpetrator hasn't lost anything unless someone investigates (which is doubtful).

I think that having this information be public is dangerous but I guess the public at large has not been bad if this been known for long.

mrblack51
11-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
Well, maybe I over reacted... it just seems that it's too easy clone the SN.

Part of the value of a lifetime subbed Tivo is that it follows the unit. You can sell your subbed unit for more money than an unsubbed unit because of this. The idea that someone can now conterfeit a subbed unit so easily makes the aftermarket very suspect.

The other problem is that people unwittingly give out their SN's on public forums. What's to stop anyone from buying a cheap unsubbed unit on Ebay and applying a googled SN? Sure, the SN eventually gets flagged as stolen but the perpetrator hasn't lost anything unless someone investigates (which is doubtful).

I think that having this information be public is dangerous but I guess the public at large has not been bad if this been known for long.

the flaw in your logic is that you assume that tivo doesnt know about this. but, they own the server, they know what you are requesting, when you are requesting, and from where (your ip address). so, it would be trivial for them to run a quick sanity check to see if the same tivo serial number is downloading two very different sets of guide data, say some from new york and some from LA. At that point, they simply mark the serial number as stolen. the legit owner can contact tivo, arrange a hardware swap or something, and the other person who was stealing is SOL, and screwed if tivo wants to go after them.

MuscleNerd
11-19-2003, 07:01 PM
The S/N is used by TiVo to fetch the public side of your box's private key. If you think you can just change your S/N and continue with the service using a different one...think again. TiVo will be sending you encrypted files that can be decrypted only the the box whose public key is tied to that S/N in their database. Your box simply won't be able to decode that data which is sent encrypted (granted...not all data is sent encrypted though).

cojonesdetoro
11-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Does that apply to Sa1 as well? I thought they only got serious about signature authentication and encryption on the S2.

I actually already tried it and it worked. I then immediately took that Tivo and changed the SN back and made sure it's IP cannot access outside the local net. I realised it was stupid but hopefully, it won't show up if I did it once.

I was prepared to admit what I did if my account was canceled and hoped they'd forgive me if I just fessed up and promised not to do it again.

rlindsley
01-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Hi there,

I know this is a super-old thread, but this topic doesn't seem to be covered so thoroughly elsewhere. If anybody is reading this....

I have a lifetime sub S1. I would like to purchase an S2 and retire my S1. Will the crypto command allow me to get the sub# off of my S1 and put it on my S2?

Multiple units wouldn't be dialing in, as I would only be using the S2.

Thanks in advance!
Robert--

rc3105
01-19-2005, 01:50 AM
won't work. even if you manage to put a s1 sernum into an s2 the mothership knows the difference and things will get ugly when they cancel the lifetime sub in a week or two

call tivo cust svc and see if an upper level tech or supervisor will let you transfer lifetime to the new box OR throw in a cheap-after-rebate 200 gig hd and cash out on ebay (legit lifetime boxes can bring decent $)

rlindsley
01-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks Riley. Last week I put my Tivo S1 up on eBay to see what it could bring. With lifetime sub, a 120GB HD and Turbonet, it brought about $350, which didn't meet my reserve. I was hoping to get $400 or so.

Oh well, I can always try it again and see what happens :)

Thanks!
Robert--

Raymond Day
02-11-2005, 11:01 AM
This command only changes the S/N on the hard drive and not on the chip in the TiVo that tells what S/N the TiVo really is. The one that matches up to the number on the back of the TiVo, if the board and case stays together.

This is why you can get a error #51 it checks the S/N on the hard drive with the chip and if they don't match you get this error.

I am mostly guessing at all this. But if you take a image from some other TiVo you my get the #51 error. Till you mach up the S/N with the chip by doing a clear and delete every thing.

So I don't think TiVo is worried about this. Because the S/N is in hard wear on a chip on the mother board that this command don't change.

alldeadhomiez
02-11-2005, 11:09 AM
This command only changes the S/N on the hard drive and not on the chip in the TiVo that tells what S/N the TiVo really is. The one that matches up to the number on the back of the TiVo, if the board and case stays together.

This is why you can get a error #51 it checks the S/N on the hard drive with the chip and if they don't match you get this error.

I am mostly guessing at all this. But if you take a image from some other TiVo you my get the #51 error. Till you mach up the S/N with the chip by doing a clear and delete every thing.

So I don't think TiVo is worried about this. Because the S/N is in hard wear on a chip on the mother board that this command don't change.

You guessed wrong...

You can change the serial number on the chip, but you can't extract or clone the private keys. Since the public side of these keys are recorded during manufacturing, you won't be able to convince the headend that one crypto chip is actually another.

Reread MN's post above.

cyoung_mi
03-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Since Tivo knows about this procedure on the S1 units..
I would be surprised if it was as simple on the S2 models..
But has anyone found a way yet??

My parents S2 just died, and I thought it would be nice to
transfer their stuff to a new unit.

viperone
03-17-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi Folks

I am trying to run crypto on my pc using a Dylan's Boot Disk. I have typed the following commands:

mkdir /mnt7
mkdir /mnt9
mount /dev/hdd7 /mnt7
mount /dev/hdd9 /mnt9
cd /mnt7/tvbin

I now try running crypto using this command:

crypto -gsn

I get the following error message:

crypto not found

If I type ./crypto -gsn

I get the following error message:

crypto : 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected.

I have tried to set the path by typing:

export PATH=$PATH: /mnt7/tvbin

and then I type the crypto command: crypto -gsn

and I still get the error message of:

crypto : 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected

So, my question is: How to you run crypto and what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any assistance.

Viperone

cojonesdetoro
03-17-2006, 10:54 AM
this binary will not run on a computer. It's a Tivo executable file and is VERY specific to the Tivo hardware. You run it from a bash prompt on the Tivo, not from a runtime environment on a PC with a Tivo disk mounted.

edit:/*

BTW: Read this entire thread and understand the risks in using this command before getting your account flagged as "stolen". I would not use this unless my lifetime tivo died a certain death and I deployed a new one in its place.

Also understand that Tivo can detect when you have done this and can still flag you. This may be even more likely now that Tivo has done away with lifetime subscriptions... what? you haven't heard?

*/

satellite_rules
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
I Have a s2 tcd240 hacked, running 4.0.1b.
I have patched it with superpatch4all and I am unable to get crypto chips attention to set_mrv_adh.tcl(tivo name for HMO)
When I try crypto -gsn command I get this message "Unable to get crypto chips attenetion"
When I try to set tivo name I get this message
Master:/tvbin # /hack/scripts/set_mrv_name_ADH.tcl Master
Setting nametable for "Master"...
Unable to get crypto chip's attention!
while executing
"exec /tvbin/crypto -x -gek"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval exec /tvbin/crypto -x -gek"
(file "/hack/scripts/set_mrv_name_ADH.tcl" line 30)
Master:/tvbin #

P.S. I am using simplicity and scraping listings from zap2itlabs, not sub'd to tivo.
Any Ideas?
Thanks

ciper
07-18-2006, 03:07 AM
I wanted to bring attention back to this thread.

One of my Tivos is an S1 SVR-2000. I purchased a spair parts svr-2000 on ebay. The information in this thread has been confused by the differences in s1 and s2 units

With an S1 tivo is it possible to use the crypto tool to transfer a lifetime sub from one MB to another?

rc3105
07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
nope

get tivo cust svc to make the change or physically swap the crypto chips between units

rkshack
07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
will tivo do a swap between a tivo series 1 and 2 now that they have gotten rid of lifetime subscriptions. When I asked years ago they told me no.
rkshack

plarser46
08-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I just wanted to revive this thread because I am now curious about this.

So to sum up:

1) This technique works if you are using a S1 Tivo. Anything later will mess up the decryption because of the public key.

2) If you wanted to swap into another S1 Tivo, you can just swap out the actual physical crypto chips, and run something (51killer?) to update the HD.

3) To reiterate, there is NO way to perform this on a S2 or later. Or from a S1 to a S2 ...

Did I catch all that correctly?

MuscleNerd
08-21-2009, 03:39 AM
A 3-year revival is pretty good!

I just wanted to revive this thread because I am now curious about this.

So to sum up:

1) This technique works if you are using a S1 Tivo. Anything later will mess up the decryption because of the public key.

2) If you wanted to swap into another S1 Tivo, you can just swap out the actual physical crypto chips, and run something (51killer?) to update the HD.

3) To reiterate, there is NO way to perform this on a S2 or later. Or from a S1 to a S2 ...

Did I catch all that correctly?

Brownby3491
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
revival #2
I have a broken series 1 with a grandfathered lifetime subscription, I got it cheap, now I know why, I believe the motherboard is fried, if I can add it to my account I can tranfer the lifetime to a premier box, when I call up tivo customer service they say I need to have it call in or at a minimum tell me the last known zip code it called in from, both are problems since they guy I bought it from wasn't the original owner and he doesn't know.. could I use the crypto chip trick to clone the TSN and perform a one time spoof a call to register my zip code?

tivo4mevo
10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know whether or not you could use the crypto chip trick to clone the TSN. If you just need to know the zip code that the device last called from, you could hook up the drive to a PC, and inspect the file /var/log/tclient or /var/log/Otclient, which should list the zip code from which it called.

unitron
10-13-2012, 05:26 AM
revival #2
I have a broken series 1 with a grandfathered lifetime subscription, I got it cheap, now I know why, I believe the motherboard is fried, if I can add it to my account I can tranfer the lifetime to a premier box, when I call up tivo customer service they say I need to have it call in or at a minimum tell me the last known zip code it called in from, both are problems since they guy I bought it from wasn't the original owner and he doesn't know.. could I use the crypto chip trick to clone the TSN and perform a one time spoof a call to register my zip code?

Do you know for certain that the lifetime sub on that S1 was purchased on or before January 20, 2000?

Because those are the only S1 lifetimes eligible for the one time transfer.

And that's not the date the TiVo was made or bought, it's the date the Product Lifetime Service was purchased for it.

If the problem is actually a bad motherboard, someone who knows how to solder and de-solder surface mount devices could transfer the crypto chip to an otherwise identical S1 motherboard.

In other words, if it's a Philips, the new board couldn't be a Sony, I'm almost certain.

What makes you think the motherboard is bad?

When you hook it to a TV and plug it into the wall socket, does anything appear on the screen?

Does the fan start?