PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX to DVD-R/DVD-RW Work Flow

atomicfireball
09-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Newbie Guide For DTivo to DVD-R via MacOS X
Written by a newbie, for newbies.

This process allows for DVD creation from extracted clips using Mac OS X. This process takes the raw extracted video/audio and produces DVDs with NO RE-ENCODING. I've never noticed any audio/video lip sync issues. I've fully tested this out with Tivo software 2.5.2. Even produces DVD with true 5.1 digital surround.

PC Software Needed:
TyTool 5 (Awesome! Thanks, jdiner!)
Telnet Client Application (I use "Token 2")
FTP Client Application
DVD Patcher

Mac OS X Software Needed:
Windows 98 running on Virtual PC for OS X
DVD Studio Pro
VideoLAN Client (VLC) version 0.4 (Optional -Great freeware tool for viewing m2v video files)
Toast Titanium (Optional - If burning to DVD-RW)
Photoshop (Optional - if building DVD Menus, graphics, etc.)

Hardware Needed:
DirecTivo with TurboNet card (and TurboNet software) installed
G3 / G4 Mac with SuperDrive
DVD Player capable of reading DVD-R, DVD-RW, 480x480 resolution video (i.e. Panasonic RP82)

NOTE: If you are familiar with noscramble, and it is already installed on your DTivo, skip to Step 5.

1. Record sample material with noscarmble OFF - Record a clip of any program, or, if you already have recordings already in your "Now Showing" list, they will do.

2. Connect to your Tivo via FTP, and binary upload "noscramble.o" and "noscramble.c" into your favorite directory, (i.e. /var/hack). This upload should be done via Virtual PC, because Fetch for the Mac can corrupt files as its not a true binary, but rather "Macbinary". Use FTP Explorer (shareware) on Virtual PC. Quit FTP Explorer.

3. Telnet into your Tivo using Token 2, via Virtual PC. At the bash prompt, go to the directory where you placed the noscamble (i.e. "cd /var/hack"), and run noscramble via the following command: "insmod noscamble.o" (no quotes)

4. Test that noscramble is working by now going over to your Tivo and attempting to play a recorded clip. If you get an error in playing anything recorded, that's great, this is normal, and noscamble is installed.

5. Record Tivo program with noscramble ON - Search the forum for downloading and installing "noscramle.o". You can edit your rc.sysinit to have noscramble.o launch at every startup. All programs you record from now on will be able to be extracted to your Mac/PC.

6. Launch Virtual PC for Mac OS X: (with Win98 as the boot disk), and download all PC software listed above.

7. In "Settings" for Virtual PC, setup to share all volumes with Mac OS X by checking Settings > Shared Folders > Local Volumes.

8. Install TyTool 5 in Virtual PC. Set download path in TyTool 5 to a shared hard disk/folder with Mac OS X (i.e. X:\dtivo). NOTE: if you have your "dtivo" folder opened in Mac OS X, then close this folder as it may not refresh properly since Virtual PC is sharing it. Thus, you may have missing files and/or incorrect file sizes for this folder.

9. In TyTool 5, click "Refresh" and select clips to download. Click "Get" to download files. NOTE: If you can't find the extracted files, do a find file in Sherlock for ".m2v" and ensure the file location. Check that the file size is larger that 0k, if not, you may not have noscramble installed.

9a. After extraction is complete, you can open this file in VLC 0.4 (not Quicktime player!) to view the sample video, no audio.

10. In Virtual PC, launch "DVD Patcher". Change the resolution of the extracted video clips from 480 x 480 to 720 x 480. Make sure that under "Patch" that "First Header Only" is selected. (This step allows you to bring the video clips into DVD Studio Pro.)

11. Prepare your DVD in DVD Studio Pro. Simply drag the pre-separated m2v and m2a clips onto the Assets menu in DVD Studio Pro. NOTE: When clicking "Preview", it will not appear correct, this is normal. (Add chapter stops, Photoshop menus, as desired. See manual for details.) IMPORTANT: Leave DVD Studio Pro running in the background, DO NOT QUIT DVD Studio Pro. (This is done, because you are going to change the video resolution back, and when doing so, if you have to re-launch DVD Studio Pro, it will note an error in the video clips.)

12. When preparation is complete, re-launch Virtual PC, and launch "DVD Patcher" . Change the video resolution back to 480 x 480, First Header Only.

13a. Go back to DVD Studio Pro to Burn DVD. IMPORTANT: DO NOT PREVIEW ANY VIDEO CLIPS at this stage. Just burn to DVD-R.

13b. OPTIONAL: if burning to DVD-RW. In DVD Studio, select File > "Build & Format Disc", then choose to save as a disk image. Launch Toast Titanium, and drag selected DVD image onto Toast. Click "Record" and insert blank DVD-RW. (DVD-RW allows for testing projects on DVD, without making coasters.)

14. Enjoy.

atomicfireball
09-04-2002, 09:22 AM
I should also point out, this work flow does not allow for altering the audio/video to compensate for any slight differences in synching. However, I've never noticed ANY lip sync issues with this work flow, even on items listing as "9ms late" in TyTool.

This work flow also allows for true, yes, TRUE 5.1 surround sound in the DVDs you produce, (provided the source file is in 5.1). Pretty nice.

You may want to do like me and create a generic Main Menu template in Photoshop. Produces amazing results, and with the power of Mac OSX's true protective memory, you can do any photoshop work in the background while VirtualPC is running, and not have to worry about errors pulling the clips from your Dtivo.

This work flow also doesn't show for editing the clips. That's a different animal. You can edit files in Final Cut Pro as needed, however that means re-synching and re-encoding, and that means a LOT more time.

The steps I've laid out provide a fast solution that produces excellent results. Also, with the ability to add chapter stops in DVD Studio Pro, you can simply add chapter stops where needed to jump past commercials.

BBQ-AllStar
09-05-2002, 12:31 AM
Thanks afb!

Make sure you put this in the "How To" sticky above....

I'm getting my new iMac G4 next week and can't wait to give this a try...

Again, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

BBQ

chapati
09-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Awesome HOW-TO!!

Thanks a lot...it will be great for those of us who want to use our Macs. I love the simple step by step instructions, including the "noscramble" info!

I suspect that this would work for those of us who are dual platform, as well, with OS X's native ability to do NFS/SMB filesharing.

For example, I have both a Mac and PC which I switch between via a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch. I can do all the PC stuff on my PC (rather than virtual PC), switch over to my Mac, mount the PC hard drive and fire up DVD Studio Pro and just select the files right off the PC disk.

This is a great how-to! I hope it gets added to the top via Sticky. Thanks,

Chapati

jaysoffian
09-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Use the attached bourne shell script to toggle your movie's resolution between 480x480 and 720x480. Example:

% res_toggle Daily_Grind.m2v
Patched from 480x480 to 720x480

% res_toggle Daily_Grind.m2v
Patched from 720x480 to 480x480

If you use mfs_export instead of tytool, this eliminates the need for virtual pc. Still need a place to run vsplit though.

Good luck.

j.

whackit
10-11-2002, 04:05 PM
I may be stating the obvious... But all of you with OSX can Telnet directly from OSX with the terminal program included in your utilities folder. Just type TELNET (your tivo address).

Works like a charm and one less reason to have to enter the PC crypt.

atomicfireball
10-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Good point. This direct Telnet works perfectly when doing a telnet only function like using the EditTitle script, etc.

jeffhancock
10-31-2002, 01:55 PM
A wonderful How-to.

I've used the instructions to pull video from my upgraded SA TiVO with Airnet card, but after the first few extractions TyTool now seems to be SLOW! I've rebooted the TiVo, checked the airnet card (I'm getting 5ms pings), restarted the mfs_server etc. to no avail.

I'm using VPC 5.04 in OS 10.2 and sharing the network connection - TyTool will get the NowShowing data correctly and initiate the "get" command, but then hang thereafter - sometimes creating a limited 0k file in my download folder.

What's really frustrating is that this worked fine the first few times - albeit a bit slowly.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff

v8q
10-31-2002, 04:35 PM
I have been using extract stream to make SVCD, and it seems to be working fine. With that, I have no need for virtualPC at all.
I stay in OSX for the whole deal.
I have not yet bothered to up-sample the audio (my player does not care) or cut out the green bar so OSX solutions may not yet be available (as freeware anyway) but the missingJpegTools are working great for me so far.

jeffhancock
10-31-2002, 05:03 PM
v8q
What version of extractstream are you using?

Do you grab the program info from TivoWeb?

If you don't mind I'd love to know what your workflow is from identifying the program through download and file splitting (demuxing the stream) on OS X.

Thanks!

-Jeff

v8q
10-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by jeffhancock
v8q
What version of extractstream are you using?

Do you grab the program info from TivoWeb?

If you don't mind I'd love to know what your workflow is from identifying the program through download and file splitting (demuxing the stream) on OS X.

Thanks!

-Jeff
I don't know which version it is - I can find out though.
My "workflow" is really a lot of work :) as I have not tried to automate anything.
I am only trying to make SVCDs from my DV camcorder. This tivo is not even hooked up to an antenna, and it has 2.5 software on it.
It says it is in boat anchor mode.
I use a bone stock HDR212 with tivonet and a second (2 gig) drive.

So:

I manually record the tape into the tivo at basic setting - which has been re-configured for 2.5Mbps, and I think 480X480 and some also forgotten quality setting.

I use tivoweb to go and find the fsid - which is easy since it is the only program on the disk

I use extractstream to local files on the second disk - this leaves me with a .mpa and .mpv file.

I ftp these files back to the mac. (usually at about 1MBps transfer rate)

I mplex the files back together (missingMpegTools version of mplex)

VLC will now play the resulting .mpg file just fine - but it has the green bar and 32Khz audio still

VCDXBuilder has a nice GUI front end for OSX - I just drop the .mpg and a graphic in the build window and push go. Toast pops up and burns me a SVCD with one menu.

The resulting CD will play on my portable Audiovox DVD, but the audio is hosed on my Samsung home unit.

I would like to investigate cropping and audio upsampling but have just not got around to it. maybe now that it is cold and dark here I will have more time.
I am also working on a 7 year old ppc8500 with a G4/400. It does the above stuff just fine, but any encoding is too painful without more megahertz.
THere is another collection of tools called mediapipe that looks pretty nice - but again due to severe lack of megahertz I have not tried to do anything fancy with it.

I also found a really interesting writeup somewhere off macNN that explained why audio gets out of sync. There is a lot of usefull info and links there for macsters.

I hope this helps you.

jeffhancock
11-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Where can I get a copy of VCDXBuilder?

Thanks
Jeff

atomicfireball
11-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Click here. (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15509&db=mac) Ask, and you shall receive. :)

kidney
11-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Where does someone get DVD studio pro?

atomicfireball
11-09-2002, 05:08 AM
http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/

kidney
11-14-2002, 02:39 AM
found dvd studio pro, but now my question how do you edit these to cut out those tv commercial without decoding and re-encoding?

atomicfireball
11-14-2002, 02:50 AM
You don't. You simply add chapter markers at the very end of each commerical. When the commerical comes on, just skip foward and you skip the commerical. That is very easy to do in DVD Studio Pro.

OS X
11-17-2002, 03:10 PM
I'm a total rookie but I've spent the past week trying to catch up to you guys...

I upgraded my DSR6000 to 120GB from CC for $100.
Installed TurboNet, tivoweb, joe, noscramble...
I've got TyTools working to my PC.
I can move .m2v and .m2a files onto my 2x800G4 Mac OS X.
I got the $20 MPEG 2 codec from Apple.

My goal is to import the m2v and m2a files into Final Cut Pro, edit out the commercials, and export to MPEG-4 for viewing on my laptop and MPEG 2 for burning to a DVD.

Two big problems:
1. To my surprise, FCP doesn't seem to want to work with MPEG-2 so I have to transcode to another format, therefore spend more time, lose quality.

2. The video and audio simply will not align, period. This is a real pain.

kidney
11-17-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by OS X
I'm a total rookie but I've spent the past week trying to catch up to you guys...

I upgraded my DSR6000 to 120GB from CC for $100.
Installed TurboNet, tivoweb, joe, noscramble...
I've got TyTools working to my PC.
I can move .m2v and .m2a files onto my 2x800G4 Mac OS X.
I got the $20 MPEG 2 codec from Apple.

My goal is to import the m2v and m2a files into Final Cut Pro, edit out the commercials, and export to MPEG-4 for viewing on my laptop and MPEG 2 for burning to a DVD.

Two big problems:
1. To my surprise, FCP doesn't seem to want to work with MPEG-2 so I have to transcode to another format, therefore spend more time, lose quality.

2. The video and audio simply will not align, period. This is a real pain.

I'm going trough the same problem. Let me know if you ever figure out a way?

cognac
11-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Actually the best way to skip over the commercials is to set a beginning marker and end marker on each section of the show and commercials. Then make a story in DVDSP Third button on the Track GUI, by dropping in only the starting markers of the show sections you want. When you're done only the show sections will play. Also you can preview this in DVDSP without any problems, there is no need to set the first frame back to 480x480.

cognac :o

kidney
11-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Cutting out the commercial is space oriented, i can only fit 3 1 hour show with commercial and 4 without.

That is why i wanna to remove the commercial, skipping still use that space on the dvd.

OS X
11-21-2002, 02:54 AM
I recently realized that FCP will import the m2v file. The first couple programs I tried must have been really lousy streams for some reason. Now it appears that I can bring the m2v directly into FCP and the audio as an aiff. However, sync'ing still seems impossible.

I don't exactly understand what's going on, but if you look at the jdiner threads you may think, as I suspect, that he has something coming that will make the .m2v and .m2a files much "cleaner" and editable. Hopefully, this is the thing that will fix the problem I'm seeing. I'd love to hear more from anyone with some experience (or anyone at all for that matter).

BBQ-AllStar
11-21-2002, 03:43 AM
How bad is the audio/video sync off?

How many seconds?

If it isn't off by that much you can open the audio file in HexEdit and delete the audio "frames"...then re-save it and import to Studio Pro or FCP. I believe there are 8 frames per 1/2 second of audio (?). I've been doing this edit with DVDs that i am burning...When I "back-up" a DVD movie and export the DVD into 2 mv2 files, sometimes the audio is off by a second or less...I edit the file in HexEdit and waalaa, everything is synced. Every block of 0B 77.....data....data....0B 77 is a frame of audio...I usually need to delete 3-8 blocks of data to get sync.

I will post a "how to" if you like, but I am not sure if this is your issue or not...

BBQ

abcdriver
11-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Anyone have this work with 1.5.1, i just ran the updater and can't seem to make the video come out properly, it's squished and has the right most column of pixels stretched to fill the screen.

cognac
12-15-2002, 10:36 AM
How to edit out the commercials using FCP:

1. Import video m2v file into Quicktime (I'm using 6.02)
2. Export to DV using default settings
3. Convert audio m2a file to wav or aiff (I use the PC winamp to convert to wav a format)
4. Load video dv and wav into FCP and edit commerials.

So far I haven't seen any audio/video sync errors. I just did this procedure on the Dixie Chicks Special and all looks and sounds good.

Also I've been working with Adobe Premiere 6.5 on the PC. Premiere accepts a muxed mpg file from TMPGnc. Using adobe's MPEG2 export I get frame studdering in the m2v output file using the default settings. So far I haven't figured the correct "Advanced" settings. Adobe gives you control over the IPB settings. The point is adobe edited mpeg2 audio/video files will load int DVDSP also.

gregjsmith
12-20-2002, 04:36 PM
I've just sucessfully burnt my first DVD from a DTivo video extract on my PBG4.

I copied the files from my PC, used Sizzle (http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/sizzle/) on my Mac to create the DVD. It creates a disk image that can be burnt via DiskCopy.

Next thing for me is to learn to deinterlace the video, Edit the comercial and finally extract directly from the Mac.

When I telnet into the Tivo via the Mac X Terminal emulator it duplicates every character I type. Any ideas why?

saltydog4791
12-20-2002, 05:03 PM
Wow Greg, you took the words right out of my mouth. I too just used sizzle 0.0.2 and it seems to work flawlessly. I did not notice any syncing issues at all, even though there is no field to enter any kind of offset value. If only we could edit out the commercials with a such a simple interface. On another note, I too also get double characters in terminal and it drives me crazy. I end up having to use a PC just to telnet. If only we could use terminal and tytool on the mac. We are getting so close to an OS X only solution, I hope. I would love to hear other OS X user experiences. How many of us are there out there? I feel lonely sometimes, especially around the holidays. :)

saltydog4791

gregjsmith
12-20-2002, 05:29 PM
I'm going to purchase the QT MP2 componet and try editing the m2v directly from there. I will try to merge the audio in QT as well. I'm downloading a test 30min show from my Tivo to experiment with tonight.

atomicfireball
12-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Personally, for time and quality concerns, I'd highly suggest simply making chapter stops that allow you to bypass the commericals by hitting "next". Adding a chapter stop right after the last commerical ends during a break will save you tons of time, rather than re-encoding, and the quality is not diminished.

Plus, the irony is that 20 years from now, the commericals will probably be just as entertaining as the show you're recording. :D I know making DVDs (including the commericals) for Batman Beyond will allow me to look back at some of the cheesy toys on sale during the air date.

gregjsmith
12-21-2002, 12:28 AM
My first DVD didnt work out so well. It played fine on my PB but not on my DVD player. I used Toast to burn it and got a error right at the end, but if verified OK.

My 2nd DVD I burned using Disk Copy. This went fine. It plays good on my PB and it actually plays on my DVD player. But the whole video frame is compressed horizontally to the left with about 1/4 of the left side of the video duplicated and playing on the right.

This is taking the raw Tivo mpg files and turning them into a DVD with Sizzle.

I got the QT MPG2 componet. I was able to encode the video to a DV stream. My 30min mpg was ~500mb as a m2v and turned into a 6GB DV file. Unfortunatlly iMove wont import it. After about 14 seconds iMove will crash or just stop the import with no errors. Sticking the file in the Media folder results in a clip that wont play. It also thinks the clip is 10mins long.

And atomicfireball is right, there is a reduction in quality, but I don't know if it would be that noticable on the screen.

histrionic
12-23-2002, 06:06 AM
My first DVD came out with with good video but the audio (which had played in the Apple DVD Player) didn't play correctly on any DVD players I tried. (Sony, Panasonic, or Apex.) My Sony plays back the audio but it sounds like it has been voiced over by the Chipmunks. I did not upsample it.

I used TyTool on a PC and made a muxed stream. The muxed stream played in QuickTime 6 with the MPEG2 Playback Component, but I'm dissatisfied with that because I really hoped that would let me use iDVD. I was looking for something besides iDVD (which oddly does not let one import existing MPEG2's, a pretty big oversight compared to the competition, which pretty much requires existing MPEG2's) to author the DVD and came across Sizzle, so I had to demux my audio and video to use that app. I used bbDemux for Mac OS X.

I'm trying to figure out if any tools on Mac OS X can replace TyTool and still keep audio sync. I'd prefer not to have to use TyTool in Virtual PC, but I suppose I could try it.

I also have problems with the Terminal doubling up characters when Telnetting to the Tivo. No Terminal preference that I've set corrects for that, yet.

On the plus side, it's really awesome to use TivoWeb's "Web Remote" function when you have an AirPort-equipped laptop and your Tivo is on your LAN!

gregjsmith
12-23-2002, 12:43 PM
I been in corrispondence with someone who has used some uttilities via the command line to extract video from the Tivo with no PC. Still waitingin for more info.

kidney
12-23-2002, 11:51 PM
You definetly got my attention.....

Keep me posted on that, please.

gregjsmith
12-24-2002, 01:27 AM
Check out http://www.bileduct.org/. This is person has been doing some MacOS X/Tivo hacking.

gregjsmith
12-24-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm giving up on this. My first resutls looked promising but none of ther DVDs I created have been playable.

I continue to get these errors when extracting the video (which screws up the audio/video sync) via TyTool:

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:01:09.599

Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:01:10.075

Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 2919.791667 frames.

Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

And I cannot find a reliable editing program that will let me easily sync the audio and video without re-encoding a million times.

Going to the svideo/usb or FW adapter...

histrionic
12-28-2002, 10:07 PM
I've tried several of the TiVo extraction/splitting tools ported to Mac OS X (conveniently, the ports you commonly see were done by someone I know). Not one has given me usable output, either .mpg or .m2v/.m2a. While I don't want to give up, I am getting a little depressed about it.

The utilities (vsplit13, tyc, zss, and splitstream) all act like they work but then don't do anything. The closest I seem to have gotten is with vsplit13, which outputs .m2v/.m2a files, but I haven't been able to play them back anywhere or successfully mux them together.

I'm running the utilities under OS X 10.2.3 on an 800 MHz iBook.

I am going to try to split a ty stream file that doesn't work on my iBook using a friend's PC. It could be that every test file I've extracted via TivoWeb/MFStreams has actually been corrupted. I'll also try to get a known good stream to run through the utilities.

I'm going to see if recompiling the tools (that have source available) using the Dec 2002 Dev Tools makes a difference. If I can get one of them to work, the possibility of creating a frontend GUI app remains (at the very least, using AppleScript Studio).

jrogers
12-31-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by gregjsmith

When I telnet into the Tivo via the Mac X Terminal emulator it duplicates every character I type. Any ideas why?

I have a solution to your problem as it plagued me when I upgraded to Jaguar. This is definitely a Jaguar problem, but the solution is simple. The Telnet of OSX is quite good, and there is no need to switch to a pc to telnet.

What you need to do is create a file in your home directory (~/) called ".telnetrc". This is what my file looks like:

"tivo mode line"

Where I have Tivo, that is the host that I'm telnetting into, and I have defined in my Hosts listing that "tivo" means 192.168.1.10, so that everything I do, including web browser, all I have to do is type tivo and it goes to my tivo. This instruction always tells the Telnet client to enter line only mode when it talks to the tivo and then it only sends line by line commands to the tivo, and so it only sends characters to the Tivo when you hit the enter key. This eliminated my problems, and I nearly forgot about it. also, for convenience sake, I created an alias in "/etc/csh.cshrc" so that when I type "tivo" in my command line it automatically telnets into the tivo. I hate typing things over and over again.

Hope this solves the problem just like it did on my Jaguar installation.

-jrogers

BBQ-AllStar
01-02-2003, 05:17 PM
FYI,

I found this over at tivocommunity...regarding the "echo" effect using "Terminal".

This is a side effect of a Mac OS X "feature."

I had the same problem until I remembered that OS X's telnet client tries to autologin to the remote server with your user name.

Just use the -K option and you should be fine:

telnet -K tivoIPaddress

To disable autologin permanently see http://www.macosxhints.com/article....020829061223936

Then you don't need the -K option.

gregjsmith
01-04-2003, 02:05 AM
Oops

Mbarr
01-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Ok- i've been out of the loop for a while. Way back when when I started working on this, I was the only one I knew trying this stuff. Nice to see others have been picking up the pieces.

So: I have had extraction working from a Mac only for quite some time. I'm now back in the game to upgrade some tools, but I do seem to have had more luck than some of you, (I think...)

I'm currently using a version of Extractstream piped to nc to get the ty stream off the tivo. I run nc on the Mac. That recieves it.

Then I use a version of tyc to convert (it's not really splitting.. since it's a .mpg file, not a .mpv/.mpv). The file then works nicely in both VLC, and in mplayer. (there is a nice conversion of mplayer to Quartz, with a gui, and an installer. )

The only reason i'm even looking for newer tools is that my current output doesn't quite give me the quality that I like for the final product. I end up with a slight line on the top of the image -almost tracking like - of about 2 pixels, and a black bar on one side of about 8 pixels.

For merely watching the video, or storing to watch it later, it's not too bad. I'd just like to make it better...

I've seen talk of tytool, and vsplit. I'm not inclined to use the PC i have to run tytool.. but i might, just to check out the output quality.

I'm also going to go and read up on some of the other threads.. I just wanted to tell you all that it is in fact possible to do this on a Mac. I've been doing this since mid june. I use the tivo web w/ some patches, to get the FSIDs..

tungsten2k
02-04-2003, 02:10 PM
For those of you using the great VLC for preview and playback, was a new version released yesterday that sports many improvements... much fewer hangs on messed up content and better skip-to-location support. more info here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

histrionic
02-05-2003, 07:42 AM
I have a successful workflow now.

You will need the following software for these instructions. For general tips, I suggest reading Experience with TiVo MPEG on Linux (http://www.chiappa.net/~chris/tivo_linux_extract.html).

TivoWeb
MFS_Stream module for TivoWeb
tydemux
mpg123
sox
toolame
Sizzle (http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/sizzle/)

I will assume that you have TivoWeb and its MFS_Stream module set up on your Tivo. I will also assume you have the other utilities compiled on your Mac OS X system, and have downloaded Sizzle.

My workflow uses my Power Mac G4 with an aftermarket Cendyne 4x DVR-105 recorder. The burner replaced my Toshiba SD-R1002 combo drive, which in turn replaced the stock Apple DVD-ROM drive. I found a good deal for the DVD-R burner on DealMac.com (http://www.dealmac.com/), and researched compatibility of it on XLR8YourMac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/) (see the Drive Compatibility Database). I highly recommend both sites.

The Cendyne drive, like Apple's SuperDrive (it should be the same mechanism as the newer 4x SuperDrive), supports both DVD-R and DVD-RW. Disk Utility can reformat DVD-RW discs, so I recommend getting at least one so that you can test the workflow on your own before investing in DVD-R discs, since you may burn a few DVD-R coasters before things work for you. With one or more DVD-RW discs, you can just reformat and try again.

Some parts of the process take a while. I don't think many (if any) stages of it are optimized for dual processors or the G4 Velocity Engine. I've run several processes at once for this reason, and have not noticed a slowdown. It may help to have several Terminal windows open for the various command line functions, since some of the utilities don't run in the background (specifying the & flag at the end of the command).

[list=1]
Extract your ty stream with TivoWeb's MFS_Stream module. Some versions of this module corrupt the data; I had problems with several extractions in every browser I tried, from MSIE to the Safari Public Beta. Once you've extracted the ty stream, you can run all of the other stages remotely, until you get to Sizzle.
Use tydemux to split your ty stream into independent MPEG-2 streams. On my Tivo, this results in MPEG-2 video stream and an MPEG-1 Layer II (.mp2) stream. My standard medium- and high-quality video seems okay for playing on my Sony DVD player, but YMMV. (Once you get this working, you may want to edit the resolutions and bit rates for new recordings via TivoWeb.)
Convert the audio stream from MP2 to WAV with mpg123: mpg123 --wav output-file.wav input-file.mp2
Upsample the WAV file to 48 kHz with sox: sox input-file.wav -r 48000 output-file.wav
Convert back to MP2 with toolame: toolame -m s -s 48.0 -b 224 input-file.wav output-file.mp2
Master the DVD video disc image with Sizzle. Add video and audio streams as input. You can add more than one track, but note that tracks don't behave like chapeters from a standard DVD; my Sony DVD player works with them, but in a roundabout fashion. You will need a lot of space for Sizzle to work: at least 5 GB for a full DVD-R disc, plus temp space. I've used an extra drive that has 30 GB free, and that has worked for me. YMMV. Note that you do not get menus of any sort when authoring with Sizzle. The output is a disk image file (.dmg).
Burn the disk image file (.dmg) to a DVD-R or DVD-RW disc using Disk Copy's "Burn Image" command.
[/list=1]

tungsten2k
02-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by histrionic
I have a successful workflow now.
for those that didn't catch it, the workflow immediately above is for stand-alone tivo ONLY. please note the following points:
SA users must use tivoweb to set your recording resolution to 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) OR record at 480x480 (NTSC and DTivo fixed) and patch the first mpeg header of the resulting .m2v file to 720x480 in order to have higher success rate for playback in stand-alone DVD players.
it does not take into consideration any A/V offset (as reported by tydemux) so the audio may be offset.
downloading from mfsstream with any browser is iffy. use curl or wget 1.6 or earlier (wget 1.8 and newer have a bug in their progress bar code that makes them fail on extremely large files). both of these should be included in the "BSD Subsystem" package of the default OSX installation. i've attached a modified mfsstream.itcl file that will list out the real URL instead of the "friendly" javascript placeholder one. backup your mfsstream.itcl file (in your tivoweb-itcl/modules dir) and replace it with this one... then open a browser to the mfsstream module and CTRL-click on the recording title and copy the URL to clipboard. then paste it into a terminal window with the command "wget --ignore-length -nv URL" and your movie should download. disregard the negative file size as reported by wget for files larger than 2GB.
always check the output file size of your *.ty file (ls -l *.ty) against the size reported by mfsstream before sending to tydemux.
make sure you use the latest r2 version of sizzle as it has MUCH improved compatibility.
for Pioneer 105 mechanism users and others based on it: if your firmware revision is 1.0, upgrade to 1.21 or newer or you will be making quite a few coasters otherwise.
for those inclined, you can use the commandline tools from sizzle directly, thereby allowing you to correct for A/V offset, etc... these tools are basically ifogen, tocgen, and mkisofs (from the dvdauthor package), and mplex - just cd to /Applications/Sizzle.app/Contents/Resources and cp these binaries to ~/bin or /usr/local/bin (rehash before using)i will eventually release a script package that automates this entire process for DTivo users as much as possible but that's only when i get around to genericizing all the scripts i'm using so they make sense. i'm also waiting for the tivo archive format ("tytar" - what a horrible name) to be solidified as the mfsstream module has some shortcomings, one of which is that under high load on the tivo, it may not pass *ALL* of the FSID parts for the recording to its tyhttpd module for export... be forwarned.

tduncklee
02-06-2003, 09:37 PM
There is an excellent how-to at: http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/

I understand it and believe I've done everything correctly. However I've not been successful. When I do the sendstream command I get a constant stream of "Sector fails signature check. Trying next block." errors. I'm on a Sony series 1 system. If anyone has a suggestion it sure would be appreciated!

Tim

jrogers
02-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Same problems with his method I have a T60 with 3.1, and no dice. I emailed him, but no response. Who knows, he never even says in his workflow what system he has. My problem is with sendstream and sending the file. I think I'll just stick with MFSStream.

What's the latest MFSStream module that works with 3.1 on a DTivo?
-jrogers

tduncklee
02-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Have you gotten MFSStream to work? I downloaded it and it appears to be source code only. Do you know where I can find the binaries? Maybe even a workflow? Something that does not require a PC.

Tim

tungsten2k
02-07-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by tduncklee
There is an excellent how-to at: http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/

I understand it and believe I've done everything correctly. However I've not been successful.
"excellent" : "This word... I do not think it means, what you think it means." :D

First, the tyc doesn't work for beans... and only rarely for stand-alone... never for DTivo streams. Use tydemux instead.

Second, that is a convoluted way of getting the streams off... just use tytar server or mfsstream98 (read the extraction stickys or use the search button to find it) which will work with all series 1 os up to 3.1.

Replace the "mfsstream.itcl" in your tivoweb-tcl/modules directory with the one i posted near the begining of this tread (it is named mfsstream.zip, but only includes the mfsstream.itcl - in hindsight, i can understand the confusion... my bad) and follow the instructions there for using curl or wcat to grab the streams.

jrogers
02-08-2003, 11:51 AM
I copied the Mplex file out of the sizzle library, and it doesn't seem to work with files that demuxed properly from tydemux. Is there a better way to multiplex the audio and video? any shareware/commericial apps that work?

Thanks

tungsten2k
02-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jrogers I copied the Mplex file out of the sizzle library, and it doesn't seem to work with files that demuxed properly from tydemux. you have to use the DVD format switch... SVCD or blank won't work and generic bloats the file to an ungodly size.

okay, this is the quick "by hand" procedure:

get/prep movie from tivo :
wget --non-verbose --tries=1 --wait=10 --waitretry=10 --ignore-length URL
[URL is copied from the mfsstream module in tivoweb with the
modified mfsstream.itcl i posted earlier in this thread]
tydemux -s 2 -i myMovie.ty -a myMovie.mpa -v myMovie.m2v
mplex -f 8 -S 2000 -O [offset reported by tydemux] -o myMovie%d.vob myMovie.mpa myMovie.m2v
restoggle myMovie1.vob
[repeat for each full movie]

build dvd :
mkdir myDvd
mkdir myDvd/AUDIO_TS
mkdir myDvd/VIDEO_TS
ifogen -o myDvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS -v [movie order sequence on dvd starting with "1"] -A [mp2 | ac3] myMovie1.vob myMovie2.vob ... myMovie[%d].vob
[repeat for each title, incrementing movie order sequence accordingly]
tocgen myDvd/VIDEO_TS
rm -f myDvd/.DS_Store
rm -f myDvd/VIDEO_TS/.DS_Store
mkisofs -dvd-video -V MY_MOVIE -o myMovie.dmg myDvd

[then burn with Disk Copy's "File:Burn Image..." command in OSX or whatever your fav burn software is - the file is an ISO standard image]

sizzle : http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17331&db=mac
restoggle : http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=61600&highlight=restoggle#post61600
tydemux : http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20056
my modified mfsstream.itcl : http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=82338&highlight=OSX#post82338

enjoy

EDIT 02-08-2003 at 11:55 AM: fixed typo
EDIT 02-11-2003: updated for more than one VTS per DVD, removed concatenation of mplex output files (ifogen doesn't seem to mind that each vob for the same title doesn't have the 720x480 first frame header)
EDIT 03-10-2003: replaced tool locations with direct links.

NOTE: Because i don't have the 30 minutes it would take to find out/download/verify usage of toolame, sox, or whatever people use to upsample the 32kHz UK audio streams to 48kHz sampling rate, if any kind UK person wants to send me the step, and where it goes in this workflow, i'll add it here - thx

lmurray
02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
FYI, jdiner release his vsplit/muxer (vsplitmux2b) for macosX. Check the thread that has the scripts and programs.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8092&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

-lloyd-

gbreynol
02-14-2003, 02:50 AM
I just posted a little GUI program that uses tyc to convert TY fies. It is drag and drop and can help save a little time.

TY Converter X (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18367)

jrogers
02-14-2003, 10:09 AM
It's nice to see all these OSX tools. I used Vpslit/mplex with Virtual PC for a while, but it never really worked very well. I abandoned it after a while, but then Tydemux showed promise. I'm very happy with the results of the latest Tydemux. I've built an applescript application to take .TY files and process them with Tydemux and Mplex, and I can't see a reason to try anything else.

As Mac users, what are the pros/cons with using both Jdiner's Vsplit/Mux, and using tyc? I tried tyc not too long ago, and it didn't work as well as tydemux, and I've heard from others that it's fairly picky on which ones work and which don't. Anyone use Jdiner's app and like it better than Tydemux? any reason to use one and not the other? Does one handle dolby digital streams better/worse?

Thanks for any input, and I'll reiterate that it's nice to have working OSX only solutions. Also good to hear that Jdiner's port is so simple that he doesn't have to modify the code.

-Jrogers

tivowanderer
02-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Ok. I've extracted my files, but now I'm at a loss as to what to do. Maybe these questions are stupid, but I'm not altogether sure where to look.

First, I used mac_vsplit to split a stream into m2v and m2a files. Then I tried to go ahead with the workflow in the first post of this thread. The m2v file dropped fine into DVD Studio Pro, but when I tried to drop in the M2a file, I got an error that the audio wasn't at 48000 Khz and it refused to accept the file.

Ditto for Final Cut Pro - it would accept the m2v but not the m2a.

Finally, I used tyc to turn the file into an mpg, but that comes into FCP with no audio. It plays fine in vlc and Quicktime Player, but when I import it into FCP so I can re-export it to iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, vwoop, no audio.

What am I doing wrong here?

gregjsmith
02-17-2003, 02:16 AM
Not sure exactly. I know that Quicktime has issues with MPG 1/2 files.

Here is some some info (http://www.learnfinalcutpro.com/Itunes%20Import.HTML) for converting audio for use in fcp. I change my m2a extension to a .mp2 and use iTunes to convert to a aiff.

gregjsmith
02-17-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by gregjsmith
Not sure exactly. I know that Quicktime has issues with MPG 1/2 files.

Here is some some info (http://www.learnfinalcutpro.com/Itunes%20Import.HTML) for converting audio for use in fcp. I change my m2a extension to a .mp2 and use iTunes to convert to a aiff.

I am using iMove 3. I split the m2v into mulitple parts with ffmpegx (since imove3 can import mp2 video files, but they have to be under 9 minutes each). I then use iTunes to convert the audio to mp3 or aiff (since it cant import mp2 audio files). Unfortunaly the audio and video bacome out of sync sometime near the beginning.

tduncklee
02-17-2003, 03:40 AM
I must be missing something basic in this process. I have a series 1 with Version 3.0 software. I'm using OSX 10.2 and the latest QuickTime.

- I'm able to extract the stream with MfsStream in TiVo Web.
- tydemux appears to split the .ty file with no errors:
./tydemux -s 2 -i lakewood.ty -a lakewood.mpa -v lakewood.m2v
- mplex runs with no errors:
./mplex -f 3 -S 2000 -O 007 -o lakewood.mpeg lakewood.mpa lakewood.m2v

When I try to open the file with QuickTime I get the error "Couldn't open the file "lakewood.mpeg" because a software component needed by the movie could not be found."

I've tested the file on other Mac's and I get the same error. I have also extracted other TiVo files and tested them. Same error.

I've seen references to turning off encryption in TiVo. Does this need to be done? If so does this mean I can not extract any of my existing files?

Any help would sure be appreciated!

tivowanderer
02-17-2003, 10:43 AM
I may have an answer for tduncklee. Viewing MP2 files with Quicktime requires an extra, $20 package, the Quicktime MPEG2 component. Out-of-the-box quicktime 6 does not support MPEG2. You must also have Quicktime 6 PRO, not the free edition. Fortunately, the MPEG2 component is available through most popular distributors of software.

Meanwhile, transcoding the audio to AIFF is peachy for FCP, but, DVD Studio Pro doesn't want an AIFF, it wants an m2a file at 48k. Is there any way just to upsample the existing 32k m2a file to 48k so I can dump the thing into DVD Studio Pro?

And I've discovered another flaw. When I transcoded the audio track to AIFF in iTunes, it came out as three seconds longer than the video track. How am I supposed to sync that?

gregjsmith
02-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by tivowanderer
And I've discovered another flaw. When I transcoded the audio track to AIFF in iTunes, it came out as three seconds longer than the video track. How am I supposed to sync that?

Everytime I convert the audio from one format to the other something gets screwy and it is out of sync.

If I just mux the raw mp2 audio and video togther there is no sync issue.

BBQ-AllStar
02-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey all...I use a program called mAC3dec that "decodes several different audio formats (AC-3, QuickTime, MP3, AIFF, WAV, Audio CD) and converts to AIFF or MP3 (using LAME). Includes batch encoding, normalization, AC-3 channel splitting, and more! All code is free and open source." as stated at the download site...you can get mAC3dec here... (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14479&db=mac).

Just drag your AIFF, MP3, QT, etc onto the program and change the sample rate to whatever you want (44K, 48K, etc) for DSP. Works great!

Also, if the sync is off, this is what I do..I open up my HexEdit (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10658&db=mac) program and then open the AC3 audio file that is off sync. Do a "Find" from the options for "0B 77", this needs to be the very first decimal address in order for the AC3 to work. The "0B 77" is broken into sections of the sound file...usually appearing every 350 or 700 decimal places...depending on how "off" you sound file is, try "deleting" 0B 77 sections a few at a time...I think it takes about 8 0B 77 sections for 1 second of audio...something like that....anyway...works for me when I backup DVDs and split them into AC3 and MV2 files via OSEx .011.

Now maybe someone can help me...how exactly are you retrieving your files from your TiVo...I have a iMac G4, a tivo at 2.5.1, Kravens upgrade, turbonet, and a crossover cable...I have added the following to my rc.remote-login file , but I can't access my tivo...it gives me "connection refused". Any help would be greatly appreciated...

ifconfig net0 192.168.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0
route.tivonet delete default 2> /dev/null
route.tivonet add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev net0

I got my turbonet way back last March and heard that some of them were not functioning properly...I might have a defective turbonet...don't know...also, doesn't Kravens upgrade install the turbonet drivers too??

Thanks

BBQ

gregjsmith
02-17-2003, 04:33 PM
all of the mp2 audio files ac3? I'm using a PC to extract the video/audio and trying to do the editing on my Mac.

tduncklee
02-17-2003, 08:24 PM
BBQ-AllStar, I had problems like yours until I found the TurboNet install CD. In quickly looking over Steve Jenkins tutorial it looks like it may be a better process but I have not tried it. All of this is done with OS X except for the initial setup where the drive has to be installed in a PC.

Sounds like your TurboNet upgrade did not "take". I've used the following twice now and it works great: http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/install_software.html

I do not understand it all but apparently the partition that needs to be changed is in read only mode even when installed in a pc and booted up on a cd. This installation procedure and install cd takes care of that.

Next you will need to install tivoftpd, joe and various other utilities:
An excellent tutorial is at:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/newbie.html
Specifically you will need to make a diskette with the following files:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/downloads/tbin.tar.gz
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/downloads/joe.tar.gz
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/downloads/tivoftpd.ppc (tivoftpd.ppc will need to be renamed to tivoftpd)

With your TiVo drive still in the PC booted off the TurboNet install CD, Insert the floppy and copy these files to your /var/hack directory.

To enable telnet follow the instructions at:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/newbie.html#_Toc16501002

When using telnet from Terminal in OS X use the -K switch to stop TiVo from echoing double characters at the command line.

Install TiVoWeb:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/newbie.html#_Toc16501012

It's probably a good idea to read through the entire document and do what's needed.

After you get everything working correctly then install mfsstream to extract the video.
http://indierocksteve.dyndns.org/TivoLinux/downloads.html

From there I use tydemux and mplex:
http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/for_mac/

A handy script ( ty2mpg.txt ) is found in this thread:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21797

It took me a while to find out (thanks to tivowanderer) that I needed to buy the MPEG2 QuickTime component from apple to get the files to play in QuickTime.

Now I need to figure out how to get my files to DVD. Anyone using OS X that can give me some tips?

tivowanderer
02-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Blarg. Just an update. I burned to DVD using tungsten2k's "manual" instructions. Video performs great on my computer and home DVD player. Computer has fine audio. Home DVD player has no audio.

The problem is clearly the 32k vs. 48k sampling issue - or am I wrong?

I'm still unclear as to how to upsample the 32k MP2 audio to 48k MP2 or AC3 audio. If I decode to AIFF, not only does it fall out of sync, I can't figure out how to get back into MP2 or AC3. Not MP3. Not AIFF. Now WAV. MP2 or AC3.

Any ideas?

BBQ-AllStar
02-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Have you tried ffmegX v0.0.6???

I believe you can open the audio file (MP3, MP2, AIFF, AC3) and resample it to whatever you want and encode and export to the appropriate file type.

MichaelLAX
02-19-2003, 01:39 AM
I recently purchased the ADS Technologies USB Instant DVD for Mac. It takes analog input and outputs either MPEG-1 or 2 thru USB to a Mac. It comes with Pixela software for MPEG digitizing and "trimming" and DVD/VCD authoring.

I use it to digitize my DirecTiVo programing, trim out the commercials and then burning to VCD or DVD. Obviously MPEG-2 extraction would be best, but I have yet to attempt that challenge. Next I will be using it to convert my VHS personal library to DVD.

It will be interesting to see if Pixela starts offering their software as stand-alone products in the US (see: http://www.pixela.co.jp/en/faq/index.html)

aersloat
02-23-2003, 04:33 AM
I have had better luck with tydemux and mplex than with vsplit. I just ran a side by side the other night and the file lengths came out different for the two tools.

If you don't want to buy the QT Pro mpeg 2 decoder you can try mplayer or vlc. Vlc seems to work pretty well. I use QT w/mpeg2.

For the audio upsampling there are a few things you can try. I have used the mpg123/sox/toolame workflow described here: http://www.chiappa.net/~chris/tivo_linux_extract.html

Look down the page a bit. You convert the mp2 to wav, upsample, and then convert back to mp2.

I have also tried the process from MoreMissingTools http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/ It uses mp2enc. I think ffmpeg also uses mp2enc.

There is definately some audio drift depending on the tool used. I haven't yet sorted out which seems to be the best.

sox, mpg123, and toolame were easily buildable on OSX 10.2.4 from the sources. There are binaries available for mp2enc.

There are a bunch of different tools out there-- most based on open source unix projects-- the trick now is just to experiment, report back here, and come up with the best process.

dark strider
06-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by whackit
I may be stating the obvious... But all of you with OSX can Telnet directly from OSX with the terminal program included in your utilities folder. Just type TELNET (your tivo address).

Works like a charm and one less reason to have to enter the PC crypt.

This works even better if you type

telnet -K tivoaddr

gets rid of the echoed chars...

noxin
07-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Please see my post at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=109638#post109638

cognac
08-02-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm having problems getting your script to run without errors. I have the files in the same directory as tivo2dvd.command

tydemux.c
dvdauthor
tyls.c
tyc
tydemux
mkisofs
restoggle.sh
mplex
nc
Sizzle
tivo2dvd.command
tyget.c

when I run tivo2dvd.command I get the dollowing errors

Getting Now Playing from the Tivo ...

Can't exec "tyls": No such file or directory at /Applications/VideoPgms/TivoExtraction/tivo2dvd.command line 41.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /Applications/VideoPgms/TivoExtraction/tivo2dvd.command line 42.
Use of uninitialized value in split at /Applications/VideoPgms/TivoExtraction/tivo2dvd.command line 43.
Title Episode Day Date Time FSID
======================== ============================= ===== ===== ======== =========

Enter the FSIDs of the shows you want on your DVD (separated by spaces, in the order you want)
Or hit 'q' to exit
:
What am I missing? Tystudio can download ty files from the TiVo and is working on the PC side without any problems.

Cognac

noxin
08-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Cognac --

It appears that you do not have the binaries from the tyStudio package, only the source (.c) files. You need to obtain the MacOSX binaries for tyStudio and use those:

1) delete or move the .c files elsewhere, delete the tydemux binary you currently have.
2) download tyStudio for macosx. It is in This Disk Image (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dvd-create/tystudio-0.5b2a.dmg?download) from Sourceforge.
3) get the tools out of it (tyls,tyget,tydemux). You don't need to install Apple X11 per their instructions for my process to work (though you might wish to if you want to use tyeditor at some point)
4) Download the tydemux that is linked from the same post of my script on dealdatabase. (it has the debug switch enabled, unlike the beta tydemux in the disk image you just downloaded).

try again & good luck.

cosmic007
08-04-2003, 02:48 AM
I have a DirectTV T60 Series 1. I have spent weeks on end trying to figure out how to extract video from my Tivo to my mac. Everything i have tried does not work. I want to extract video off of the tivo to my Mac. Edit the video with FCP 4 and author it to DVD with dvd studio pro. Can someone please give me a detailed step by step process that uses only the mac. I see the post with using virtual PC. I have tried mfs_ftp, MFSStream, MFS_extract _tivoweb......nothing will work.

Thanks!

cognac
09-22-2003, 12:58 AM
How to go from ty file to FCP to DSP and burn without sync problems all on OS X.

Reference files:
X11 free - http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/
TyStudio-0.5b2a http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dvd-create/tystudio-0.5b2a.dmg?download
Quicktime 6.3 need mpeg2 plugin if you have FCP or DSP you have the plugin
Itunes - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/itunes.html
Final Cut Pro 4.0.2 will work with v3.0
DVD Studio Pro 2.0 will work with v1.5

1. Open X11, start Tyedit and download the movie/show with the TyStudio editor from your DTiVo.

2. Do some course editing only to make your file smaller this is a GOP editor. That means it has a 30 frame step. I just cut the beginning and end of my shows.

3. Save as DVD (Video) and 48k (DVD) Audio or if Doby as AC3 audio - makes an mpg file. Save again as Elemental Stream - makes m2v and mp2 files. I found that Quicktime works better with mpg better than m2v video files for some reason.

4. Open/Import the mpg into quicktime and export as DV. The sound never comes through with this export even though the GUI indicates your saving sound.

5. Open the m2a with iTunes then export as an aiff file.

6. Import the .DV and .aif file into FCP and edit your heart out. If your show was in 16:9 format be sure to set the video settings for DV 16:9 Your audio and video should be in sync. It may be necessary to change the audio speed to match the video. So far I never had to play with it.

7. Export as mpeg2 file make sure your bitrate is not to high. If your show was in 16:9 don't forget to select 16:9.

8. Import into DSP add your menu and chapters format and burn.

I have a dual 1.4 running 10.2.6 and it took 2 hours to do a 1.5 hr show on the quicktime. FCP and DSP were a lot less. The process is very time consuming otherwise I just use Sizzle and burn the m2v and m2a or AC3 files directly. I found that TyStudio is a great editor but as a GOP editor comes with some drawbacks, sometimes it can't close on a cut and you have to shift 1 sec (30 frames) one direction or the other. This may send some unwanted video or audio into my clip. Especially on a commercial cut.

Good luck
Cognac

contemplativo
09-23-2003, 03:30 AM
It's good to know that FCP can be used for frame-accurate cuts that produce well-synced output. I would think the mpeg -> dv -> mpeg transcoding steps would affect image quality though. It would be nice if FCP could edit mpeg2 natively, but this apparently won't happen anytime soon. I haven't found a full-featured native mpeg2 editor for the Mac. I suspect pc-based mpeg2 editors would run too slowly under simulation to be of much use. So prospects for native mpeg2 editing on the Mac seem bad.

Right?

aersloat
09-23-2003, 05:54 PM
I don't know how good GOPChop is at editing mpeg2 video. I have been trying to compile it but my skills are not quite up to it yet. Anyway, it is an X11 app, which, if someone could get to compile, would be a "native" app of sorts. The source code is available on sourceforge. Has anyone else tried to build this on OSX? Has anyone tried it out on Tivo streams on another platform? I lose audio synch using TyStudio to make cuts...

MuscleNerd
09-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by contemplativo
I suspect pc-based mpeg2 editors would run too slowly under simulation to be of much use. So prospects for native mpeg2 editing on the Mac seem bad. Right?
mpeg2vcr running under Virtual PC 6 on my dual 1GHz G4 runs very smoothly, even with audio enabled.

cognac
09-24-2003, 07:15 AM
The result is always going to be the same with any GOP editor. The GOP editors will only go to starting I (Intra) frames which is every 30 frames or about 1 second. The Tystudio OSX version is native. TyEdit (Tystudio) does an excellent job if the stream is not to badly corrupted. Most of the time it can repair the stream. Other than vsplit with mplex which are keyboard intensive, I know of no other pgms that will decode the ty format correctly for the Dtivos.

If your having audio sync problems with Tystudio you may have decoded an AC3 (Doby) audio as a pcm or mp2/m2a audio file.

drewman
09-25-2003, 07:40 PM
I guess I would go through some of these things if it was something rare and wonderful, but all I want is to be able to watch a show now and again - the 1/2 second blip of commercial isn't going to ruin that.

Here is what I do with my 800Mhz eMac with Superdrive:

TiVo - setup with TivoWeb to record at 720x480 to minimize re-encoding time and artifacts.

1. TyStudio 0.5 Beta 2 - pull in video, edit out commericals and process output to DVD mpeg. I don't copy to PC first and it works fine.

2. Use Sizzle 0.2 to take mpg files and put each episode into its own chapter. Have Sizzle make a DVD image

3. Use Apple's Disk Copy to burn DVD image to DVD-R.

4. Enjoy!

Never have audio sync issues. Don't get menus or anything else fancy (yet), but it works almost every time* and with minimal fuss.

Did I mention that all of the above software is free?

I am putting this here for people who want what I want, but are reading these long complicated and time consuming task flows for it.

Andrew

*Occassionaly extraction fails - if it does I move each Start and End Cut a little and it always works the second time. Every other part is rock solid.

cognac
09-26-2003, 03:42 AM
My guess is that you have a TiVo SA unit. Since you can set the resolution on SA units to 720x480, this makes decoding simple and easy. The TiVo SA and DTivos have very different mpeg encoding. The DTivo units only record in 480 x 480. Not all software will accept this resolution and the file must be patched to 720 x 480 before using.

MuscleNerd
09-26-2003, 06:34 PM
And tytool 0.50 doesn't work with S2 streams.

mjreilly
09-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Just a note about the workflow I've been using on OS X

TyStudio 0.5.0 beta to extract from Tivo Series 1 with turbonet.

Save file to PC before editing.

Open local .ty file with TyStudio.

Make cuts.

Process as DVD/48000

Use FFMpegX to Demux mpeg file

Use FFMpegX to Mux resulting elementary streams as DVD and author as DVD.

This creates .img file that I burn with Disc Copy.

Resulting DVD plays great in my Panasonic S35 DVD player.

That's is and I'm having great success with movies. I've had a little less luck with 2 hr. TV shows. I think its the greater number of cuts needed to take out the commericials. It increases the chances of a cut falling where TyStudio can't make it.

matt

drewman
09-27-2003, 09:41 PM
mjreilly,

Have you tried using Sizzle 0.2 instead of FFMpegX?

It will take the mpeg file right from TyStudio without demuxing first. Creates an .img file for Disk Copy.

Never have lost audio sync this way so far.

Andrew

mjreilly
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM
I did try Sizzle. I think Sizzle is using the same tools to demux and then remux the stream. It just seemed a lot slower to me and has crashed a couple of times. I didn't completely figure out how to make the menus and set-up the titles either, but that's just laziness.

I didn't have any audio sync issues with FFmpeg and I don't mind the DVDs with no menu or chapters. Maybe I'll give Sizzle a try again to figure out the menus.

matt

cosmic007
10-23-2003, 11:24 AM
I am having problems getting the audio into FCP. I imported the video just fine. I have a 30 minute show and i have been able to create these files of the show

dv
m2a
m2v
mpg
ty

I am using the workflow below, on step 5 it saying to import the m2a into itunes and save as a aiff. I have tried to import, add to library, doesnt work. i have trie to open the file with soundtrack & peak and they wont open the file. How do i get my sound converted to a aiff file and into FCP?

Thanks

Peter

How to go from ty file to FCP to DSP and burn without sync problems all on OS X.

Reference files:
X11 free - http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/
TyStudio-0.5b2a http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/...2a.dmg?download
Quicktime 6.3 need mpeg2 plugin if you have FCP or DSP you have the plugin
Itunes - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/itunes.html
Final Cut Pro 4.0.2 will work with v3.0
DVD Studio Pro 2.0 will work with v1.5

1. Open X11, start Tyedit and download the movie/show with the TyStudio editor from your DTiVo.

2. Do some course editing only to make your file smaller this is a GOP editor. That means it has a 30 frame step. I just cut the beginning and end of my shows.

3. Save as DVD (Video) and 48k (DVD) Audio or if Doby as AC3 audio - makes an mpg file. Save again as Elemental Stream - makes m2v and mp2 files. I found that Quicktime works better with mpg better than m2v video files for some reason.

4. Open/Import the mpg into quicktime and export as DV. The sound never comes through with this export even though the GUI indicates your saving sound.

5. Open the m2a with iTunes then export as an aiff file.

6. Import the .DV and .aif file into FCP and edit your heart out. If your show was in 16:9 format be sure to set the video settings for DV 16:9 Your audio and video should be in sync. It may be necessary to change the audio speed to match the video. So far I never had to play with it.

7. Export as mpeg2 file make sure your bitrate is not to high. If your show was in 16:9 don't forget to select 16:9.

8. Import into DSP add your menu and chapters format and burn.

I have a dual 1.4 running 10.2.6 and it took 2 hours to do a 1.5 hr show on the quicktime. FCP and DSP were a lot less. The process is very time consuming otherwise I just use Sizzle and burn the m2v and m2a or AC3 files directly. I found that TyStudio is a great editor but as a GOP editor comes with some drawbacks, sometimes it can't close on a cut and you have to shift 1 sec (30 frames) one direction or the other. This may send some unwanted video or audio into my clip. Especially on a commercial cut.

contemplativo
10-23-2003, 12:05 PM
cosmic007:

Are you experiencing significant picture degradation, compared to the original mpg2, after going through the mpg2-->dv-->mpg2 transcoding steps?

cognac
10-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Change the extention from m2a to mp2 and itunes will see it.

cosmic007
10-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Cognac,

Thanks for the help. i tired that and it worked just fine. So i bring the audio into FCP and only half of the audio for the show is there....What happened? it is in sync just fine.....also, what do you think of the lost of quality. I have not yet burned my first DVD doing this process. Do you think you loose alot of quality?

Thanks

Peter

cosmic007
10-23-2003, 07:38 PM
should i also have no scramble running?

cosmic007
10-24-2003, 02:57 AM
tystudio wont download any show, anyone have any idea where i start, it worked once and now it doesnt work

it is running under x11 on a mac running osx

Thanks

cognac
10-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Does the now showing update? try checking if tyindex and tyserver are running. Do a ps ax at the bash prompt. To run either one use the following cmds at the bash.

/var/index/tyindex > /dev/null &
/var/index/tyserver > /dev/null &

or place the attached file reload, in /bin/ and do a mv reload.txt reload and chmod +x reload. You can type reload to restart the pgms from any directory.

Yes you need no scramble running. All shows saved are scrambled and will be unreadable after starting no scramble. I don't know why your getting partial sound. Does iTunes play the entire sound track? The video quality is not going to be the same as if you burned the mpeg2 to DVD directly, but it's going to be better than mpeg1 compression. With the free video tools available today you can not improve the video quality. Audio is not compressed so is not effected. Changing or re-compressing video to another format will change or degrade from the original video.

cognac

cosmic007
10-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Cognac,

I checked my now showing and it was not showing the latest shows so i did this:

bash-2.02# /var/index/tyserver > /dev/null &
[1] 200
bash-2.02# binding stream socket: Address already in use

[1]+ Exit 1 /var/index/tyserver >/dev/null
bash-2.02# /var/index/tyindex > /dev/null &
[1] 201
bash-2.02#
[1]+ Done /var/index/tyindex >/dev/null
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

not sure really what it means but when i went back to now showing it is showing the latest shows. I tried to download one of the shows to my mac, the window comes up with the "copying file from tivo 0%" and does nothing......i will wait and wait and it does nothing. This did work just once....

do you have a good how to for installing no scramble and an explination of how to use and what it exactly does? i am having a problem finding one.

When i checked the mpeg in quicktime all of the audio for the whole length of the show was there. Just not in the mp2 file when i import it into FCP.

I really appreciate all your help.

thanks

Peter

cognac
10-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Peter,

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, I just got back from a fews days of vacation in Palm Springs.

First noscramble. I use xPlusz version 3.10 and enable noscramble its easy to install and setup or you can go to http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/wanker/ and download the noscramble.zip follow the read me file. Both work well. Remember any saved shows on your tivo will be unreadable or playable once noscramble is enabled.

Let's tackle the download problem.
What Tivo system do you have and the version of software running? Do you have Tivoweb running and can you download a ty file from MfsStream to your hard drive? If not, at the bash prompt type "ps ax" without quotes and see if tyhttpd 2000 4 is running 4 times.

cognac

cosmic007
10-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Cognac,

I have a sony direct TV tivo, it is running version 3.1.0-01-1-011

I do have tivo web v1.9.4 running. When i go into MFsStream and click on the name of a show it wont load the URL

this is what i get when i type the ps ax

Last login: Mon Oct 27 09:07:33 on
console
Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] cosmic% telnet 10.0.0.200
Trying 10.0.0.200...
Connected to 10.0.0.200.
Escape character is '^]'.
bash-2.02# ps ax
bash: ps: command not found
bash-2.02#

Thanks

Peter

cognac
10-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Peter,

I have a DSR 6000 TiVO. I'm not sure what the software differences are but you need to find out what process are running to troubleshoot your TyEdit problem. Try looking for the ps file. It should be in the /var/hack folder. if you not do a find it I've attached a copy.

At the Bash-2.02# type
cd /
find / -name ps

if you can't find it or don't have a copy try the attachment. Do the following at the bash # Place ps file here

cd /bin/ or /var/hack/
cd to where you placed the ps file and do the following.

mv ps.tcl ps
chmod +x ps
ps ax

see if tyhttpd 4 is running 4 times

cognac

cosmic007
11-05-2003, 03:34 AM
Cognac,

big problem. I cant get a single response from my tivo. I cant telnet, no response when i ping. My ethernet switch says it see the network card. I have tried to restart it from the tivo menu. I have tried un plugging it letting it sit and pluging it back in. Recording and watching shows works fine. Have any ideas?

thanks

Peter

Mbarr
11-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Just a quick check- Anyone have a way to force DVD Studio Pro to accept 352x240 MPEG-2 files? It's a perfectly valid DVD format, and I can get it to work great w/ sizzle, etc. but I'd like to try DVD SP.

(yes- this is a cross post.. I'm trying to get an answer from the person that posted res_toggle here...)

I think it should just be as simple as fooling the headers, similar to the way you all do the 480x480 thing...

As an aside- 352x240 is a native tivo format, and is the basic & medium setting, so it's looking like I can get roughly 6 hours of video from the tivo onto *ONE* DVD.

I normally go for quantity over quality with my content :-)

/mbarr

BBQ-AllStar
11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey all...

I thought I'd stick this in the Mac OSX thread since I am trying to connect to my tivo via OSX.

Here is my situation...

***UPDATE: I GOT IT WORKING!!!***

I have a DSR6000 with Xtreme 2.52 upgrade and xplusz 3.1 -- everything is activated. I have a turbonet card. My tivo is connected to my Netgear switch.
What I really want to do is extract my vidoes from my tivo. I have installed X11 and I can open tystudio and tyeditor...but I can't connect to my tivo to get the Now Showing list...I get "Failed to get Now Showing list from tivo". The log file shows...

demux:tydemux_remote.c:75: failed to connect to 68.225.0.93
demux:tydemux_remote.c:252: Error opening socket to tivo

Can anyone help me out? Is there something else I need to do? Is there some kind of settings in my Network or Sharing prefs???

UPDATE---I FORGOT TO INSTALL THE TYSERVER ONTO MY TIVO...EVERYTHING IS WORKING NOW...

TIA,

BBQ

ChopperDork
01-31-2004, 09:30 PM
I've spent an afternoon trying to do one thing: run res_toggle on an m2v file. I am missing something major...

Let's assume I'm trying to toggle the header resolution info in the file test.m2v from 480x480 to 720x480. Let's also assume that res_toggle and test.m2v are located in the same directory. Shouldn't I be able to run res_toggle in the terminal window by cd'ing to the directory where they're located and typing:

res_toggle test.m2v

When I do this I get the response:

tcsh: res_toggle: Command not found.

Although I don't think it's necessary for a script, I did chmod the file with 777 and that didn't make any difference.

Can someone give me a clue?

:rolleyes:

cognac
01-31-2004, 10:13 PM
There are a couple of ways to tackle this. One way is having res_toggle in the directory you working in an use the command ./res_toggle test.m2v. The other way is to place res_toggle in the /bin/ directory do a chmod +x res_toggle. This way makes res_toggle universal cmd no matter which directory your working in you can type res_toggle test.m2v. One other thing you want to be root if you place the file in /bin/.

Cognac

cognac
03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
How to Import TiVo ty file into FCP and Beyond

The trick is to have an audio and video file that is in sync that can be edited, that is fully edited using a prowerful Video editor like Final Cut Pro. The Block 1 Directivo's save the compressed ty files in 480x480 resolution. FCP can also change this bastard resolution as well.

Programs:

Qt TyStudio Editor for OS X - Running under X11 - Great GOP MPEG Editor
Sound Converter for OS X - By Steve DeKorte - Sound format converter
TMPGEnc (PC) or mpgtxwarp (OSX) - Demux pgms
Final Cut Pro 4 - One powerful Video Editing Program
DVD Studio Pro 2 - DVD Video Program
Sizzle v0.1 - Another DVD Video program
Toast Titanium 5.2.3 - DVD burning Software
A.Pack - aif 2 AC3 sound converter Note: If your Mac has dual processors a.Pack has a problem with this you will need to turn one process off when encoding.

Note: As always there is more way to perform a task. The programs listed above incorporate several ways to do the same task. In other words not all the programs list are required. Some of the versions listed I like better than others. These are just the ones I used.

Disclaimer:

I have been using this FCP method to put the Sci-fi Channels Sliders series on DVD and it has been working out quite well. I thought I would share my process with other Macers . Normally I use QT TyStudio Editor to edit the beginning and end of movies I record and it works quite well. Shows with commercials that I want to edit out QT TyStudio Editor just doesn't have the fidelity with GOP I frame steps. The I frames are about every 30 frames. Also today most DVD players will play the TiVo 480x480 resolution without any problems. My suggestion is to use QT TyStudio Editor whenever possible and FCP for those special projects.

Objective:

Edit TiVo files in Final Cut Pro. FCP will accept an .aif and .mpg file for editing. How to get there.

Process:

Using QT TyStudio Editor, load in your ty file. No need to do any editing here using a GOP editor snapping to every I frame. Go directly to saving.
Set Video to: Generic MPEG2
Set Audio to: 48000(DVD) Note: if the show was recorded in Dolby Digital set the Audio to AC3(DVD).

Select process and the saved file will be a .mpg. Half of what FCP needs, the video Half. Even though an .mpg file contains both compressed video and uncompressed audio FCP will only see the Video component. At this point there are a couple of ways to get the audio component.

Method A Audio Extraction:

Go back to QT TyStudio Editor and change the Video to: Elemental Stream and process again. Result will be an .m2v and m2a files. Trash the m2v video file. Change the .m2a extension to .mp2 and use Sound Converter to convert it to an .aif. Always keep the audio in 48 khz.

Method B Audio Extraction:

Use mpgtx (OS X) or TMPGEnc (PC) to demux the mpg file into separate audio and video files. Note with TMPGEnc (PC) you can just demux the audio file. Using mpgtx you still don't need the video file. Drop the mp2 audio file into Sound converter and convert to .aif.

FCP Editing:

Setup:

Under Audio/Video Settings use Sequence Preset : DV NTSC 48 Khz or DV PAL 48 Khz for our European brothers.

Import the mpg and .aif files into FCP. Place them into there timeline tracks. The Video will need to be rendered, but don't do it yet. We will reset the video size first then do a video render.

Reset the Video Size:

Over in the Canvas GUI there are 3 pull downs Select the last one that looks like a broken box. Select Show Overlays - Show Title Safe. Two outlines will appear in the Canvas. The inside one is for the title safe area and the outside one represents the viewing area. Select the last pull down again and select Image + Wireframe.

As always the second method, select View from the FCP Menu bar and select Show Overlays, Show Title Safe, and Image + Wireframe.

Select the video track or click in the canvas window on the video image and the wireframe appears. Place the mouse pointer on the lower left conner of the wireframe junction. When the pointer turns to a + depress the left mouse button and drag the conner diagonally just enough that the image is outside of the Viewing outside box, release the mouse button. Then move the video up using the same method as before only using the center of X point, as so the bottom of the image is on the Lower outside viewing outline. The gap from the top of the video image to the top of the viewing outline should be about 3-4 mm or a little over 1/16 of an inch.

The reason for making the image larger and moving it up is to hide the sync line at the top of the image. You will have to get a feel for how large the image needs to be to hide this sync line. Display monitors and flat screen viewing resolutions will differ.

Now render your video. After rendering your ready to edit your TiVo file in FCP and have the audio synced

Continued in Next thread - cognac

cognac
03-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Continued

Method A Testing the Video resizing:

If you also have DVD Studio Pro you can export to mpeg2 using Quicktime.
Set the Mark in and Mark out markers on about 10 seconds of video and render only - needs render. This will only take a few minutes. Export as QuickTime Conversion selecting the mpeg2 file format and leave the option settings as is for now.

After Exporting has completed use a.Pack or Sound Converter to convert the .aif to .AC3. AC3 files take up less space than .aif files. Also Sizzle only accepts mp2 of AC3 audio formats. Sizzle is a quick and dirty DVD format program that you can set time chapters and it's free! Sizzle will make a image file with the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders ready for burning. Use Sizzle to make an DVD format Video_TS folder and burn on a DVD-RW with Toast. Check it out on you TV DVD player. If your picture looks OK then your set, else play with the image size again in FCP.

Method B Testing the Video resizing:

Finish your FCP project use iDVD or DSP and Burn. Test the video on your TV DVD player size is OK, else else play with the image size again in FCP

Have fun
cognac