PDA

View Full Version : Can guide be updated by doing this?

TIVOGUY
06-30-2001, 02:41 PM
I haven't tried this yet.

Can the guide be updated by doing a factory reset on a SA Philips 312?

The user guide states that if you ever sell the unit it is advisable to do this to clear ALL details. Logically, it would seem that if you did this every two weeks you could receive an updated guide.

If it works the big drawback is the approximate four hour setup and download period.

The only glitch I could see is if the phone number was stored on the drive somewhere after the factory reset.

Has anyone tried this? Will this work?

Vadim
06-30-2001, 05:03 PM
I beleive this will work, however you will loose everything, including your preferences and thumbs up/down. I would never do this, because once you get used to your tivo and it records what you want and then you reset it, eh I'd rather pay.

TIVOGUY
06-30-2001, 07:46 PM
I tend to agree with you that it's a hassle; however, this seems to be the only way to get the guide and not sub. I sub a DirecTivo but will not sub the SA Philips 312 because once it goes to 2.0 I can never again use that unit just as a VCR; and you have to admit that it makes one heck of a VCR. Rumors are afoot that 2.5 will again let you use the units as VCR's, but that remains to be seen. EDITED: Appearantly I was wrong about the VCR functions. I just visited the TiVo site and JimWest says that you can still record manually with 2.0

I'd rather have the guide than the TiVo suggestions; I was deleting dozens upon dozens of programs before I finally shut off the auto record; of course, I really didn't give it time to learn my viewing habits; I burned out too quick by deleting so many programs, and decided there was no future for TiVo suggestions in my TiVo life.

Thanks for the reply, I've been all over the DSS underground sites and TiVo sites but it seems that no one has ever tried this because no one replied to my posts; it seems I might be the only one serious enough about the unsub'd TiVo guide to perform this reset and download.

Vadim
06-30-2001, 08:24 PM
There are couple of guys on this forum, that almost made a way of importing guide date from some website, without paying any monthly fee, read around you might find some info.

stryder
06-30-2001, 08:49 PM
Don't give up hope yet. We are working on it. Got a few problems with getting the data that need to be solved. But eventually a script will be released. You will need a standalone computer that can do the majority of the processing first though.

On the other hand. I just attempted this and it turns my tivo state to 7 (Never Set Up).

It adds a message saying that to do an update I must have Tivo service turned on. The only thing I accomplished was wiping out my remaining guide data and shows that it graciously recorded for me :)

TIVOGUY
07-02-2001, 04:42 PM
Stryder,

I tried it and got the same thing; we also got 2.0 software if you look at system info. That's why it's at level 7: never setup. See my thread on 2.0 being downloaded with first setup call; it looks like TiVo is fighting back.

Can the SA Philips 312 be used as a VCR without making that first call?

JOE

stryder
07-02-2001, 05:12 PM
You are right about the system 2.0.x . My unit was upgraded. Oh well. Some of the features are nice, if only I had guide information. Who's up for figuring out the slice file format?