PDA

View Full Version : Is Tivo spying on us

BooBooBear
09-07-2002, 01:38 PM
I have a friend who has a Tivo and he said he heard that Tivo or neilson is downloading data related to what we are watching. Is this true? I don't think they should be doing this without our knowledge or permission!

Just curious and wonder if anyone else heard this!

Thanks

BooBooBear

BubbleLamp
09-07-2002, 02:33 PM
This is nothing new, Tivo's have always reported viewing info. Check their site for their privacy policy.

jemenake
09-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by BooBooBear
I don't think they should be doing this without our knowledge or permission!

Well, as already was pointed out, it IS with your knowlege and permission (if you read the privacy policy and agreed to the service agreement).

However, don't be so freaked. As I understand it, the data they collect isn't mapped to you as a *person*. In other words, they don't record things like "Bill Smith watches SportsCenter 2 times a day". Instead, they record things like "40% of people who watch 'The Simpsons' also watch 'Friends'..." or "People watch more romantic shows in Winter".

So, it seems to be more of a macroscopic nature. When you think about it, it's all they really *can* do. Think for a moment about all of the TiVo's with lifetime subscriptions that have been, subsequently, sold to other people. This kind of thing would put erroneous data into their database if they started trying to match viewing habits with individual names.

- Joe

SuperVHS
09-14-2002, 02:48 AM
Not that anyone would think that The TiVo databases could have erroneous data in them. LOL