PDA

View Full Version : smbmount howto

opticalcarrier
09-09-2002, 08:04 PM
ok if you've xtremed your tivo and have then done the extra xtreme update then you already have all the files (just 2) that you need:
/lib/modules/smbfs.o (the module)
and
/tivo-bin/smbmount (the binary)

if you've xtremed your tivo and have then done the extra xtreme update then your system already loads smbfs.o for you upon boot (in /etc/rc.d/rc.remote-login) with this section:

echo "Starting SMBFS"
if [ -e /lib/modules/smbfs.o ]; then
insmod -f /lib/modules/smbfs.o

this is the 2.0 smbfs but it works fine on my 2.5 xtremed tivo.

If you've xtremed your tivo and have then done the extra xtreme update then your system has the smbfs module installed. all you do is share a folder on your windows machine and do this command on your tivo:

#smbmount //win_ip_address/name_of_shared_folder /path_for_mount_point_on_tivo -s win_computername -c tivo_computername -I win_ip_address -U username_on_win_computer -D workgroup_or_domain_on_win_computer -P password_for_username_on_win_computer

just fill in the info with your pertinent info. after you get it working you'll probably want to put this command in a rc. file to make it execute upon boot every time the system reboots.

If you dont run xtreme then you'll have to get the smbfs.zip from xtreme-emu and put the 2 files at the location I've specified above:

/lib/modules/smbfs.o (the module)
and
/tivo-bin/smbmount (the binary)

if youre not running the full xtreme you have to manually load the smbfs.o module:

#insmod -f /lib/modules/smbfs.o

ignore any mismatch kernel version error
Now all you do is share a folder on your windows machine and do this command on your tivo:

#smbmount //win_ip_address/name_of_shared_folder /path_for_mount_point_on_tivo -s win_computername -c tivo_computername -I win_ip_address -U username_on_win_computer -D workgroup_or_domain_on_win_computer -P password_for_username_on_win_computer

just fill in the info with your pertinent info. after you get it working you'll probably want to put these commands in a rc. file to make it execute upon boot every time the system reboots.

GOOD LUCK

my next project will be to figure out video extraction. then ill do a how to on that as well....that is unless someone who already knows how can do a howto and beat me to it (HINT HINT)

Schnitty
04-10-2003, 03:20 AM
so i'm trying to follow this (good how to, btw) but running into a problem

i'm new to linux and the idea of creating a mount point on the machine i'm connecting _from_ (as opposed to sharing a directory on the machine i'm connecting _to_) makes like no sense to me

so i'm creating a directory on my tivo that i'll list as the mount point when i connect to a share on my windows pc?

this does not compute :(

opticalcarrier
04-10-2003, 10:33 AM
youre on the right track.

basically you want to create a subdirectory, say /mnt/windows
then when you smbmount the share on the windows machine, that directory structure will appear (or be "mounted") at /mnt/windows

-good luck

-OC

Schnitty
04-10-2003, 03:06 PM
optical - i appreciate the help, especially since this thread is pretty cold.

when i did this last night, i got a "server or directory is busy" type error (i'm at work now, so i can't reproduce it)

here's a question for you -- is /mnt some predetermined directory that has to be part of this command? i created a directory called /srvr_mt, but i created it in the root, not in /mnt

is that what i'm doing wrong?

opticalcarrier
04-10-2003, 03:08 PM
no you can mount something anywhere
make sure you cd / out of the directory before you try to mount something there, otherwise i cant think of what the problem is.

wkearney99
12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Is there a series 2 version of smb available?