PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Obligations???

NA2
09-17-2002, 01:29 PM
I just bought an "open box" return from a local electronics shop -- A Sony Sat-T60. I told them I was looking for used boxes for hardware experimentation and thus not looking for a subscription/activation commitment.

I did pay with a credit card and give them my address. Are Tivo or DirecTV going to come looking for me, even though I didn't sign any type of user agreement? It looked like they just took the info down like all stores do in their computers these days, moreso for return purposes than anything else.

They DID record the serial number of the Tivo, not the serial number of the access card (which turned out to be a P4).

So, my question is this -- Am I free and clear or should I expect DirecTV or Tivo to come looking for me to make a subscription commitment? Does Tivo even HAVE a subscription commitment?

Since no contract was signed (they even checked "no service required" on their computer screen when they did the sale) am I safe?

Thanks for your insight.

mrblack51
09-17-2002, 02:14 PM
on the directivos, tivo has virtually no say. in fact, you can have a dtivo subscribed with dtv but not have the tivo portion of the service (though that may have changed recently). dtv does have subscription requirements in general, since most recievers are sold at a loss, with the cost recouped over the life of the subscription.

realistically, it all depends on the place that you bought it at. it sounds like they sell dtv stuff normally, which means that they would be subject to standard dtv rules, and therefore forcing their customers to subscribe. also, you noted that you did get an access card. in general, if you recieve an access card, then you are going to be forced to subscribe if you can be tracked down. The only exceptions are when you pay with cash and can't be tracked.

of course, since they checked the 'no service required' box, then you probably don't need to worry about it.

NA2
09-17-2002, 06:03 PM
I hope you're right -- If not, I feel I'd have the right to appeal that, I mean, for all they know I may just sell this thing on ebay tomorrow. I signed no contract at all stating that I'd be responsible for an activation.

Does the fact that I signed no contract and wasn't told of any sort of activation requirement at time of sale help me at all? The only thing I signed was my credit card receipt (in hindsight, should have payed cash).

michaelk
09-17-2002, 10:07 PM
my understanding of the commitmeants is they completely come from the retailer and not dtv. SO if the retailer didnt care and didnt make you sign a contract your just fine.

basically the retailer and DTV sells the thing for a loss the retailer is expecting the bonus the retailer gets from dtv when you do activate the box. Typically they make you sign an agreement that if you dont sign up within 30days they (not dtv) will charge your credit card for like 200 or 300 bucks which is what their kickback from dtv would have been. (more recently DTV apparently will charge back the retailer if you cancel within a year- so dtv makes the retialer be the bad guy to ensure ytou stick around a year to make up their part of the subsudy. if you cancel early the retialer has to come after you for the money dtv takes out of their commision)

dtv only makes you agree to year long subscriptions when they themselves give you a deal. LIke free dish upgrades, etc.