PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to have Tivo with a hacked Hu 3M?

experimentals
09-20-2002, 03:33 PM
I've been running my TIVO with lifetime service for about 2 years now (in march) and I never thought about the dangers of me using it with my DSS set-ups. I used to run it with my EMU now im running it with my HU. Is it safe?

BubbleLamp
09-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Not any less safe than when you ran EMU. (Of course a 3m can get wacked, but we don't discuss that stuff here.)

experimentals
09-20-2002, 03:40 PM
well im talking about getting busted with D A V E. Should I have a paid subscription from tivo hooked with a DSS non paid subscription. It downloads the guide every day and its all the DTV channels even though I dont have a DTV account

groundhog
09-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Is the fact that your using a hacked card, safely kept from Direct TV? Maybe? Sounds like your using a stand alone. Many people feel that this is pretty safe to do, but as an added precaution, you should call Tivo & tell them that you want to OPT Out of all viewing habbits, etc. programs that they have. Nothing illegal is safe. Eventually direct tv may form a stronger relationship with Tivo, or even buy them out. Who knows, you viewing habbits today, may be available to direct tv a year from now. Most people claim that Tivo doesn't monitor down to the actuall individual, just based on whole zip codes, etc. who knows? Just realize that the Tivo service monitors remote keypresses, etc. They don't actually download shows that you watch. So, if you change the channel on your Direct TV box with your direct TV remote, and make the Tivo still think that it's on another channel, no one knows.

groundhog
09-20-2002, 03:48 PM
I started typing before your last post. You don't have a sub, so it's a little more obvious what your doing. Like I said. Minimally Opt Out. Also, as a general rule, most will suggest that if you "Test" you should at least carry a min sub. Just never plug in that phone line to the dtv box. Even after removing a 3m & putting the sub back in.