PDA

View Full Version : Looks like 2.0 is being downloaded on 1st call

TIVOGUY
07-02-2001, 10:38 AM
Well, I decided to give the new guide attempt a chance; by doing a factory reset. Some people just don't know when they have it good.

2.0 was downloaded with my FIRST setup call; I believe this is happening because the unit goes into a "pending restart" mode. According to the message "pending restart" means that the unit will again begin functioning when TiVo downloads new software; for me this call was supposed to be at 2:00 am, but since I have a sub'd unit the call just happened to come in when I was tring to set up my SA Philips 312 to get an updated guide.

I had a functioning 1.3 software unit, now I got zip; and it looks like this will now be the rule of thumb for TiVo. Before, when you setup a 1.3 unit that was it; guide was downloaded and away you went. Now, the unit will go into a "pending restart" mode and will just sit there until TiVo downloads 2.0.

It looks like we now have no choice.

Does anyone know if I can get this SA Philips 312 running just as a VCR without the first setup call? I myself do not believe this is can be done because you HAVE to make at least the first setup call to activate the unit.

Lure
07-02-2001, 07:17 PM
read posts under "OUTSIDE UK AND US" in this forum

GuyIncognito
07-08-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by TIVOGUY
Well, I decided to give the new guide attempt a chance; by doing a factory reset. Some people just don't know when they have it good.

2.0 was downloaded with my FIRST setup call; I believe this is happening because the unit goes into a "pending restart" mode. According to the message "pending restart" means that the unit will again begin functioning when TiVo downloads new software; for me this call was supposed to be at 2:00 am, but since I have a sub'd unit the call just happened to come in when I was tring to set up my SA Philips 312 to get an updated guide.

I had a functioning 1.3 software unit, now I got zip; and it looks like this will now be the rule of thumb for TiVo. Before, when you setup a 1.3 unit that was it; guide was downloaded and away you went. Now, the unit will go into a "pending restart" mode and will just sit there until TiVo downloads 2.0.

It looks like we now have no choice.

Does anyone know if I can get this SA Philips 312 running just as a VCR without the first setup call? I myself do not believe this is can be done because you HAVE to make at least the first setup call to activate the unit.

I dunno what happened to you but I did a full factory reset and then downloaded 2 weeks of guide data just last Monday (2nd) and I didn't get 2.0......

SuperVHS
07-09-2001, 08:47 AM
Tivo has acknowledged that this is a mistake. The service people are not that knowledgable (nor friendly) and will usually insist that you have to subscribe to fix this. There is a thread on AVS that goes into great detail about this problem and at least one person has had Tivo restore service (at 2.0).