PDA

View Full Version : Sharing guide data

IWantToShare
07-02-2001, 02:53 PM
I have a lifetime sub'd TiVo and several other scattered around the house - all have TiVoNET's installed.

Is there a way of sharing guide data from the Lifetime TiVo to the other 'monthly' TiVo's?

stryder
07-02-2001, 03:12 PM
Try snagging the slice files off the subscribed unit and dbload'ing it into the others.

See what that accomplishes.

You could also change the serial numbers of the other units to match the one that is subscribed. Its posted somewhere on here.
I will edit this post with the link to the thread when I find it.

Here it is. http://www.dsschat.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=31522

IWantToShare
07-02-2001, 03:19 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of reading the MFS and using a JPAG's like method. Do you think the slice files would be easier to use? I want to make sure that no software upgrades sneak into the un-sub'd boxes.

mrblack51
07-02-2001, 04:05 PM
speaking of jpags method:
he mentions using a dtivo to get ppv and sports data for his ppv script. has anyone here investigated that option more fully, such as attempting the same thing, taking slices of say 15 channels at a time, and merging them into the tivo from a dtivo? we know he can do it, and he made it work with his scripts.

stryder
07-02-2001, 04:32 PM
Well if you can snag the slice file before the tivo deletes it, you have the guide information it downloaded. The slice files don't contain software updates. It is loaded using the dbload command. Combined with the serviceState hack, you would have complete service using one tivo getting the information.

mrblack51
07-02-2001, 04:37 PM
how long are the slices on the dtivo, and where do they get stashed?

stryder
07-02-2001, 04:45 PM
Look in /var/packages for the files when it is doing a download. It deletes them pretty quick it seems. You can keep a copy by ln filename.gz filename.gz.2
It will only delete the filenames it knows about.

edit: I don't know anything about the dtivo. I dumped dtv when I had to get cable.

As far as size. I am not sure what a domestic slice file looks like size wise. I don't subscribe yet, and I was hoping to not have to. I have gotten ahold of the Australian guide slice files. http://tivo.samba.org/download/tridge/ozguide
They are about 800 Kb each. Almost a meg. If you extract them to hex they expand out to between 2 and 4 megs maybe larger.

Tictoc
07-04-2001, 08:13 PM
stryder, a couple of questions please...

To do an ln (link) you have to know the specific file name in /var/packages directory, right? It means I have to manually watching /var/packages directory everytime tivo d/l new data and do ln. Is there a better way so that tivo won't delete the slice file? from dsshack, I tried to comment out file delete in TClient-lib.itcl with no success, and tcphonehome.tcl is not available in 2.0.1.

Suppose I have SOFCOM-11504-7.slice in /var/hack directory, can you give me the exact command to dbload this file?

Thank you very much for your time.

stryder
07-04-2001, 10:05 PM
I believe the command is a simple "dbload <slicefilename>" However I think you have to be in tivosh in order for this command to be available. Give it a try and see what your mileage is. I haven't actually loaded a slice file myself. I got my tivo kinda crapped out at the moment. I need to get a single cd backup made.

TheDoctor
07-07-2001, 11:27 AM
Is was recently downgrading a 2.0.1 machine to 1.3 and captured a 9mg slice file with 10 days work of data. I uploaded it onto a 2.0.1 machine that had expired it trial period. I then ran dbload.

The machine continued to tell me that I only had a few days of data left, but the machine now had 10 days woth of guide data.
From the jpaq script, it apears the expiration date for the nag screen is seperate.

I know that it would not be legal to share the data between users. Depending on the service agreement you accept when you subscribe, it may not even le legal to share between machines.

Both of my machines are now expired so I won't be able to do any further testing on this sharing technique. I was colecting the slice files for researching building them locally.

tools2000
07-18-2001, 01:51 AM
Can i download the Guide from the internet anywhere. Please post or MS me the location.
Thanks