PDA

View Full Version : Latest uses for TurboNet?

morethanthis
10-07-2002, 05:06 PM
I just had my drive crash in my DTivo so I need to start from scratch with a blank drive. I've been considering the purchase of the TurboNet card but I was wondering what the latest was on the functionality it adds. The two things I'm most interested in are programming shows remotely from a web browser, and pulling transfering shows to a PC for DVD backup. I'm not looking for any "how to" info here; I know there's plenty of that on this board but I just want to check the state of things before ordering a TurboNet board:

I take it the remote programming of shows through a web browser is not a problem as long as you set things up right.

From what I've read, it looks like I can currently transfer a show to my PC and record it in it's entirety to DVD without any quality loss but I won't be able to edit the show without AV sync issues or without converting the stream to another format first (reducing quality in the process). It sounds like there's a couple of projects currently underway to allow editing but they're not quite there yet. Would the direct transferred streams play correctly on a standard DVD player?

So, do I have the current state of things right? Any input would be appreciated.

captain_video
10-07-2002, 09:41 PM
I've never tried to program my DTivo remotely but it may be possible using TivoWeb. I'm not sure you want to let your DTivo be exposed to the internet, though, if you're thinking of programming it from a remote site. There's too much of a chance that the DTivo may connect to Tivo HQ and download a software upgrade that would totally hose your setup. You can still go back and reinstall Xtreme but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to do that once 3.0 gets introduced fot DTivos.

You are correct in your assumptions about extracting videos and burning them to DVDs. Most current set-top DVD players will play DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs recorded from a tystream. Models older than a few years may not even recognize the discs. Certain models built within the last couple of years have difficulty displaying the 480X480 format without a wide vertical black band taking up about 1/3 of the screen on the right side. Your best bet is to test several players with a TyDVD before buying. As I said, most current players play them fine but I haven't tested each and every model, although I have tested quite a few.

FredThompson
10-07-2002, 09:53 PM
What about just blocking the "home base" IP addresses (uh...what would those be?) with a firewall or using some form of encrypted access (I'm playing with PuTTY right now :) ) or non-standard port numbers for the web server?

This is something I'd love to be able to do. I'm on the road a lot and it's not uncommon to look at the USA Today and see something I'd really like to grab. Don't want to do this without some form of "home" blocking. Passwording isn't a big deal, keeping the box configured is.

I guess some form of pseudo-tunneling by coming in through a web page somewhere is an option if things need to get routed. Seems like the only real issue is preventing an unwanted update, right?

BubbleLamp
10-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by FredThompson
What about just blocking the "home base" IP addresses (uh...what would those be?) with a firewall or using some form of encrypted access (I'm playing with PuTTY right now :) ) or non-standard port numbers for the web server?

This is something I'd love to be able to do. I'm on the road a lot and it's not uncommon to look at the USA Today and see something I'd really like to grab. Don't want to do this without some form of "home" blocking. Passwording isn't a big deal, keeping the box configured is.

I guess some form of pseudo-tunneling by coming in through a web page somewhere is an option if things need to get routed. Seems like the only real issue is preventing an unwanted update, right?

There are lots of means to allow access while blocking the Tivo from phoning home. Port proxying, VPN, port forwarding, etc. All depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

FredThompson
10-08-2002, 12:17 AM
My setup has two Linksys routers. One at the A/V system (DirecTiVo and a BookPC), the other at the cable modem (with other computers.)

I'd like to have TivoWeb up w/the internal passwording so I can get to it when I'm away. I use a URL redirector (dynamic IP) so it's easy enough to set up web access to point to the TiVo. Basically, the redirector client runs on a PC and I'll direct the ports to the TiVo.

With no phone line connetion and Xtreme and the update loaded, it shouldn't be calling home anyhow, right?

(Yeah, that's my setup, I know, but it's also a concrete example of this thread's original question, I hope.)

morethanthis
10-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks for clearing things up guys. I really like the idea of being able to archive shows. Hopefully, someone will come up with a way to edit shows that have been transferred to DVD in the future.