PDA

View Full Version : jpags PPV Script - Analysis

TheCritic
10-13-2002, 01:27 PM
OK... jpags is MIA for a month and I miss the PPV listings. So, I am writing a perl script that should parse the DTV web site to get the ppv listings and then generate a showlist.jpg file that will work like jpags used to. I thought I would post my findings here in the hopes others would get interested and help me fill in the gaps.

showlist.jpg defines 3 procedures

addChannels
addShows
addPrograms

Each procedure calls one other procedure (or function or whatever tcl calls it)

addChannels uses the adc procedure
addShows uses the ads procedure
addPrograms uses the adp procedure

the format of the adc procedure seems to be
adc CHANNEL
ie. adc PPV173

the format of the ads procedure seems to be
ads INDEX CHANNEL DAY STARTTIME DURATION PROGRAMINDEX
ie. ads 0 PPV173 11933 46800 4500 PR1

the format of the adp procedure seems to be
adp PROGRAMINDEX UNKNOWN {SHOWTITLE} "UNKNOWN" "YEAR" "ACTORS" {DESCRIPTION} "RATING"
ie. adp PR4 A0014117f {Michael Winslow: Comedy Slapdown} "371 133 167 125" "" "" {Catch the audio antics of the 'Police Academy' impressionist in this 'Comedy and Sound Slapdown.' It's the full Michael Winslow Experience! } ""

You can download the file I am working with from jpags site at http://www.geocities.com/paglierani/showlist.jpg

I would love some help in these areas:

In the ads procedure:
Is duration in seconds?
How are DAY and STARTTIME converted from standard date/time to these integers?

In the adp procedure:
What are the UNKNOWN parameters?
Are {} and "" interchangeable in tcl?

Any help will be appreciated.

TheDoctor
10-13-2002, 02:03 PM
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3834

Slice files have been availabel for PPV data for over a year. The scripts needed to load the data are in the thread. If may help you out.

TheCritic
10-13-2002, 03:13 PM
I saw your thread, and I posted my issue there.

have you released how you are creating the slice files? If you do help me to get dbload working, I would hate to loose my ppv info because you win the lottery and take an extended vacation. (although congrats if you do.. ;)

mmmm_beer
10-13-2002, 07:54 PM
I replied to your thread, but if you really want to work on creating your own slices, take a look at tivoguide in the tivo_canada forums at yahoo. The file format mkslice uses is very easy to figure out. The really hard part, is downloading the data and parsing the pages. I started doing it once, and got sidetracked on another project.