PDA

View Full Version : Odd Ty File Size: 3 Hour 15 Min Football Game is only 4 gig ty file?

rpongett
10-21-2002, 07:49 PM
I've done quite a bit of DTivo extraction and DVD burning and my video (if its not animation) comes out to around 2 hours 20-35 minutes for 4.3 gigs (what can fit on a DVD).

However, this saturday, two football games of around 3 hours and 15 minutes were listed as 4.07 megs. I would have expected around 5.5 gigs for games that long. Very odd. Its a DTivo, so I didn't (can't) change my bitrate, quality or resolution.

I extracted one (tytool5r2 and vsplit tool in that program) threw it into DVD Maestro with no problems and burned it (fit on one DVD). No problems at all.

So I have a full 3 hour 15 minute football game on a DVD with no transcoding or alteration (with an additional 300 or so megs to spare).

What's going on?

captain_video
10-21-2002, 08:49 PM
The size of the files depends as much on the amount of action in the video as it does on the amount of compression provided by DTV. I am currently archiving the entire Seinfeld series on DVD. Each night I get at least 3-4 recordings of the same episode on various channels using two different DTivos. The resultant size for the exact same show can vary from as little as 425MB to as big as 850MB for the same 1/2-hour episode. My guess is that your football game was broadcast by one of your local affiliates, correct? The locals seem to be compressed at a higher rate than the other channels, probably so DTV can squeeze more of them into the allotted bandwidth. The final size of 4.07GB for a 3-hour, 15-minute game is not totally out of line. Six episodes of Seinfeld recorded with one extra minute at the beginning of each show, for a total of 3 hours and six minutes, can run anywhere from about 3.7GB to well over 4.5GB, which is why I record so many different episodes (the max you can get on a DVD is about 4.36GB when you take into account the lead-in and lead-out tracks). I pick out the ones that will fit onto a DVD, not to mention that sometimes I get one with errors and such so I'm bound to get at least one good one in the bunch and usually more.

rpongett
10-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

I didn't realize that there was that much variance. I know that animation is tiny (Family Guy and South Park recordings can be 300 megs for a 1/2 hour).

I guess two factors probably are at play here:

(1) the game was on a Fox Sports regional channel (Fox Sports Southwest). Fox Sports (for $) or DirecTV probably squeezes these regional channel feeds down to lower bitrates. I've also heard that ESPN (while being one of the highest priced channels for cable companies to sign affilliation agreemetns with) actually broadcasts at a pretty low bitrate on DirecTV. Don't know if that's true.

(2) the game was at Kansas State and the stadiium sideline camera was seemingly a mile from the action, which may have considerably decreased video movement for MPEG encoding.

I just didn't realize that the difference would be that dramatic.

scarabus
10-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Bitrate can be incredibly variable. I've seen the same 1 hour show (Max Headroom on TechTV) take up as little as 1024 Mb or as much as 2000Mb, and variations of up to 300Mb between repeats of the same episode.

I'm not convinced that it has anything at all to do with how much the channels pay.