PDA

View Full Version : Making SA TiVo record shows @ 720x480 and 48KHz

psxjunky
10-29-2002, 07:43 PM
I have a Philips Series 1 stand alone TiVo and am desperately trying to find out an relatively EASY and FAST way to archive some shows into DVD-R.

I am a failry newbie at this, and have been trying to do all the research that I can ... but after trying various methods, I am extremely frustrated at the lack of (as far as I know) an easy and fast way to get shows off of an SA TiVo to a DVD-R.

This is what I am doing currently ...

1. Use TivoApp to extract the TyStream (this is fine)
2. Use TyConvert to get the audio and video streams (this is fine)
3. Use TMPGEnc to re-encode the separate audio video streams to a single stream of 720x480 video and 48KHz audio (this is the part I hate most)
4. Feeding the re-encoded MPEG2 to SpruceUp and author the DVD (this part is fine as well)

I am not at all happy with the result that I am getting. My biggest gripe is the loooooong time TMPGEnc takes to re-encode the stream :( I have tried using a d2v project (from DVD2AVI) instead of the MPG from TyConvert, but that completely messed up my end result and still took a looooong time.

I wish I could use the relatively easy DVD Patcher method to "fool" the video resolution, but since I don't have a DTivo, I don't get 48KHz audio and that doesn't help !!

I read somewhere in these forums that it is possible to hack the Tivo to record shows at DVD compliant format (720x480 video and 48KHz audio) that I can directly feed to SpruceUp.

Does anyone have ANY more info on this ? I would really really really like to avoid the reencoding part with TMPGEnc if I can at all avoid that !!

Any info, tips, pointers ... anything at all to relieve my current frustration level ;) ... will be greatly appreciated !!

psxjunky
10-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Okay, I found how to change the recording resolution for the video to 720x480 in this very informative thread (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12736&highlight=bitrate).

But it doesn't talk about any way to bump up the audio sampling rate from 32KHz to 48KHz.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do that on the Philips SA Tivo ?

If this can be done, that'll be sweet; because I'll have DVD compliant stream coming straight out of the TiVo that I can just author and burn ! No re-encoding ! :D

lmurray
10-30-2002, 03:17 PM
Theres no way to tell the tivo to record the audio at 48KHz. The value as I understand it is based on a chip inside the tivo, and is not software configurable.

There's countless threads on upsampling the audio.

sorry,
-lloyd-

psxjunky
10-30-2002, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info, lloyd !

I have read some of the posts that talk about upsampling the audio using BeSweet, TMPGEnc, some MP3 players etc., but pretty much all of them mention related audio sync loss issues !

Do you know which method works the best ... i.e. gives best quality output without losing sync with the video ?

Thanks again !

Hi8
10-30-2002, 06:08 PM
my way is via BeSweet...

I've attached my process:

the following is a batch file I run, via drag my *.ty file ontop of desktop icon of same name....

it upsamples the audio (SA) to 48khz

leaves two files %.mp2 and %.m2v

which I then feed into IfoEdit .094 and do the DVD Author -

then use IMGTOOL.exe to create an image file %.img and from there use STOMP or Record Now, I think the same as Prassi -

works like a charm.

I have two different compression settings confiured on my SVR2000 : (one for over 120mins the other over)

1 -> 720x480x3.5mbps

2-> 720x480x6.0mbps

one selected as MEDIUM the other as BASIC using TiVoWeb's Resource Editor. I can burn a DVD via this method in less than it takes to watch it in realtime... sync is PERFECT.

I have both DTivo and SA ... SA rules at this time! jdiner soon to put an end to that! (let's hope)

-----------------------------

c:\muxfol\vsplit13c.exe %1 r:\_tivo\%1.m2v r:\_tivo\%1.m2a

r:\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input %1.m2a -output %1.mp2 ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m s -b 192 -e )

del %1.m2a

del %1

-------------------------

psxjunky
10-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Thanks so much Hi8 !! You have no idea how much I appreciate your detailed instructions :D :D :D

bato
11-06-2002, 03:04 PM
Can't find vsplit13c only vsplit13, any pointers?

psxjunky
11-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bato
Can't find vsplit13c only vsplit13, any pointers?

Same here ! I can't find vsplit13c either ... only vsplit13.

Although vsplit13 is working very well for me.

If anyone knows where to find vsplit13c please drop a line here.

texmex
11-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=63694&highlight=0xFFFC6944#post63694

psxjunky
11-06-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks very much texmex !!

I did look at that thread earlier, but somehow overlooked that particular post by jdiner.

Very much appreciate your help !

bato
11-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Thanks texmex

goldenrod
11-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Hi8
my way is via BeSweet...

r:\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input %1.m2a -output %1.mp2 ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m s -b 192 -e )

del %1.m2a

del %1

-------------------------

Hi8, I get clipping without 2 pass ssrc...

-goldenrod

mrwalker66
11-09-2002, 12:41 AM
how do you set 2 pass ssrc, i have the same problem..
thanks

texmex
11-09-2002, 03:53 AM
Goldenrod detailed his process here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18965

It just so happens that I use the same 3 steps in my scripts. I've also been playing around w/ the normalize option in ssrc, but I haven't yet decided if I like the results.

texmex

sibarys
02-17-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to transcode a whole list of 32Khz .m2a files to 48Khz.

I'm using besweet to process 1 file at a time. Does anybody know if there's way to just drag'ndrop a whole list of files to a Besweet batch file and walk away??

Thanks.

trekkerj
02-18-2003, 06:32 PM
If you upconvert from 32Khz to 48Khz directly, YOU WILL LOSE AUDIO QUALITY. This is because the step up to 48 would not be integral. Here is what I do. The result is perfect sounding audio:

Take your m2a file. Open WinAmp, use the DiskWriter WAVE Out to get your Wave file. I use Sound Forge next. Open the WAV file. Normalize the volume if you desire. Next Save As a 96Khz file. Take your 96 Khz file, and save it as a 48 Khz file (ie (32 x 3)/2). Take your 48Khz WAV and using beSweet, convert back to MP2. (rename to m2a for importing).

Simple as that.

djgman
02-19-2003, 11:30 AM
33.2k to 48k should be possible...

i'm new to the tivo hacking but am fairly familiar with audio editing.

i haven't tried it yet but the problem of up-converting should be solvable with pretty good audio quality.

try getting hold of a high-quality audio editing app like Steinberg's WaveLab. You can convert sample rates fairly easy - even in batch mode.

The key is to make sure you turn on "Dithering". That "interpolates" the missing audio and fills in the gaps.

This app is often used to master audio. Often the source file is at 44.1k where as the high-end DX plug-ins function at 48K. Dithering is turned on to smooth out the transitions from different bit rates....

That is what i plan to do. i will try it soon and post my results.

Delta
02-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by trekkerj
If you upconvert from 32Khz to 48Khz directly, YOU WILL LOSE AUDIO QUALITY. This is because the step up to 48 would not be integral. Here is what I do. The result is perfect sounding audio:

Take your m2a file. Open WinAmp, use the DiskWriter WAVE Out to get your Wave file. I use Sound Forge next. Open the WAV file. Normalize the volume if you desire. Next Save As a 96Khz file. Take your 96 Khz file, and save it as a 48 Khz file (ie (32 x 3)/2). Take your 48Khz WAV and using beSweet, convert back to MP2. (rename to m2a for importing).

Simple as that.

What size recordings are you doing this for? How are you able to maintain any kind of audio sync?

Barrett
02-22-2003, 05:25 AM
I don't know why people use BeSweet, that program has the worst GUI I have ever seen, and it isn't neccessary. All you have to do is convert the extracted m2a to a 48 khz .wav with winamp, then use TMPG to encode that .wav into a mp2 file, then Multiplex the files back together and its ready to burn as a dvd.

Hi8
02-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Barrett
I don't know why people use BeSweet, that program has the worst GUI I have ever seen, and it isn't neccessary. All you have to do is convert the extracted m2a to a 48 khz .wav with winamp, then use TMPG to encode that .wav into a mp2 file, then Multiplex the files back together and its ready to burn as a dvd.

I don't know why people need a GUI app to do what can be done better with a script/batch file. I can drag and drop my .ty files onto my batch file and walk away and the resulting files are ready to be coverted to .vob (DVD Titleset) using IFOEdit.

GUIs are a waste of time if you can automate a routine process with a script.

by the way BeSweet is part of that batch file, and I never even know it!

FreydNot
02-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Barrett
I don't know why people use BeSweet, that program has the worst GUI I have ever seen, and it isn't neccessary.

BeSweet doesn't have a GUI at all. Its a CLI tool that really works best in a scripting environment. BeSweetGUI is a addon that provides a GUI interface for those that need the crutch. I find the GUI is most useful to show me the full command line arguements so I can put those into a batch file.

And winamp won't convert to 48k. It will make a wave file, but you still need to convert it from 32k to 48k if you have a SA file source. Tmpeg does the actual bitrate conversion and it is lousey. It leave all kinds of click and warbles in the audio. BeSweet can be coaxed into making a clean conversion, so I use it.

Barrett
02-26-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by FreydNot
BeSweet doesn't have a GUI at all. Its a CLI tool that really works best in a scripting environment. BeSweetGUI is a addon that provides a GUI interface for those that need the crutch. I find the GUI is most useful to show me the full command line arguements so I can put those into a batch file.

And winamp won't convert to 48k. It will make a wave file, but you still need to convert it from 32k to 48k if you have a SA file source. Tmpeg does the actual bitrate conversion and it is lousey. It leave all kinds of click and warbles in the audio. BeSweet can be coaxed into making a clean conversion, so I use it. Hmm, well I guess I need to look into BeSweet, I have no idea how to use it, Basically all i need is a batch file or command line to encode a .wav into a 48khz mp2 file.