PDA

View Full Version : No Luck

zabs
10-31-2002, 05:01 AM
just got a dsr6000 from american satellite.
got it all hooked up.
called dtv and subbed it (got the dtv service setup, but i have not setup tivo service yet) and was watching tv for about 30 mins, then it just rebooted all of a sudden.
strange i thought, but it came back up and I left the room and came back about 45 mins later to find it completely off (no led lights on at all.) unplugged it, and plugged it back in and it came up again, several minutes later it shut itself off again. i left it plugged in (because I was sick of messing with it for the moment) and every now and then it will attempt to power up and then shut itself off at various points during the boot process.

Are the hard drives bad or could it be a power supply issue?
I guess either way I was going to send it back to AmSat because it is covered under warranty, but i was just curious what anybody had for suggestions that might keep me from having to send it back (I can open the tivo if need be to check stuff, for I am very sneaky.)

-zabs
"You underestimate my sneakiness, sir"

wallmartian
10-31-2002, 08:35 AM
I would call American Satelite and get a return authorization number and instructions for shipping it back. They should make good on it, thats way too soon to be having that kind of a problem. Thats my 2 cents:p

wm

captain_video
10-31-2002, 09:37 AM
I agree with wallmartian. I bought a refurbished DSR6000 from AmSat and it also developed a problem after a few weeks. I called AmSat and they sent me a replacement refurbed unit within a few days along with a prepaid UPS shipping label for returning the defective unit. They will charge your credit card $199.00 for the replacement unit but will (eventually) credit it back to your card after they've received the original unit back. I believe it took about 3 weeks after they received my defective DSR6000 before the credit showed up on my credit card account. I've heard that some people have had problems with AmSat on this issue but I think this is true of any mail order operation. A certain percentage of transactions get hosed and it's a hassle for the consumer but it all works out in the end. I didn't have a single problem with the replacement. In fact, the refurbed unit they sent me is still going strong.

zabs
10-31-2002, 12:41 PM
yeah just called and got the RMA going. They are sending a replacement first along with a pre-paid label so I don't have to pay return shipping for the dud (NICE!.) They are charging me a deposit of 200$ (but that is standard in any sort of pre shipped replacement deal) and will refund it once they get back the dud. We'll see how long it takes to get a refund.

All in all I have been very satisfied with their service. The only thing they could do better is ship fed ex 3 day, rathern than ups ground (6 days!!!) so I could get my grubby hands on my tivo faster!!

Still kinda curious anybody have insight into what actually failed?
I know the power supply was at least spinning the fan, but it did not sound like the hard drives were spinning up (though this is hard to tell by just listening.)

-zabs
"You underestimate my sneakiness, sir"

captain_video
10-31-2002, 12:50 PM
You should be able to feel the hard drive spinning if you put your hand on it. You can also hear it if you disconnect the fan first. I woulnd't recommend cracking the case at this point because you might accidentally bugger the tamperproof label (I know, it's not that difficult to circumvent it but why take the chance). It certainly sounds like a power supply problem but it's difficult to tell without further investigation.